Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

monthly subscription

gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279

I recently started playing this again and have just seen on my bank statement that this has cost £12.49 sterling for the month. I'm not sure what the average monthly sub is these days, but it's usually around £8.50 or so, isn't it?

Whatever, £12.49 is waaay to expensive for a monthly game sub - I'll be cancelling this one soon as I get home.

Comments

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    Thought they had it at 11.49GBP... which is going to be higher than what folks pay in the US and even EU with Euros - but that it's because you guys get nailed with VAT.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Yes, you're right, I don't know why the extra £1 is on there, but I can't really face the customer service treadmill in order to find out....

Could it be a simple $1...er...£1 charge that some companies place to verify a new card that may disappear after a period of time?  Just an authorization charge?  Then again, with that - you're likely facing a customer service treadmill either with Funcom or the bank...meh.

Good luck with that.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by VirusDancer
    Thought they had it at 11.49GBP... which is going to be higher than what folks pay in the US and even EU with Euros - but that it's because you guys get nailed with VAT.

That though does not fly with Euros.

As most Europe has a VAT of some sort.

Then again 11.5 pounds is 14.3 euros, so it isn't so much different

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

Originally posted by Volkmar

That though does not fly with Euros.

As most Europe has a VAT of some sort.

Then again 11.5 pounds is 14.3 euros, so it isn't so much different

14.99 USD - 14.99 Euros - 11.49 GBP

$14.99 USD = 11.70 Euros or 9.36 GBP

So that's about a 28% increase on Euros and a 23% increase on GBP.

14.99 Euros = $19.18 USD & 11.49 GBP = $18.41 USD

So yeah, I was off on that - the UK costs less... everybody over there's being screwed by VAT.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446

So you only found out through a bank statement that you purchased a subscription based MMO? I find that really hard to believe. I believe it is more likely the OP is a Troll.  For every subscription based MMO, you have to agree to a payment plan. 

That being said I like playing subscription based MMOs as it tends to keep the trash out of my playground.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

TSW, subscription?!

Lifetimer aye o/

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

i dont get what the problem is with the sub price.for years peeps have been paying £8.99 a month..now everyone knows over the last 2 yrs prices have increased in everything so its only logical to assume that sub prices should increase as well.

what also gets me is that in the uk if you go in a nightclub in my area its £5 a pint..so for the priceof 2 pints you have your sub fee which last a month.i know which i would rather do.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    A game which will probably soon go F2P is charging £11.50 a month? Most MMOs including WoW, EQ2, LOTRO etc. charge £8.99 a month, EVE charges £9.99. So no we are not getting screwed over by VAT, we are just getting screwed by Funcom. £11.50 or £12.50 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for a monthly sub. You can buy new games for £12.50 like Halo, Gears, Forza etc. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by fivoroth
    A game which will probably soon go F2P is charging £11.50 a month? Most MMOs including WoW, EQ2, LOTRO etc. charge £8.99 a month, EVE charges £9.99. So no we are not getting screwed over by VAT, we are just getting screwed by Funcom. £11.50 or £12.50 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for a monthly sub. You can buy new games for £12.50 like Halo, Gears, Forza etc. 

Jan 2011, the standard VAT increased to 20% in the UK, no?  That's from the direct.gov.uk site.

So with the amount being +23% - and - volatility of the currency market, it's entirely likely that it was probably done at 20% to reflect VAT.

So uh, yeah - it does look like you're getting screwed with VAT.  VAT's pretty much the price difference between what somebody in the US is paying versus somebody in the UK.  Simple as that.

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Zarriya

So you only found out through a bank statement that you purchased a subscription based MMO? I find that really hard to believe. I believe it is more likely the OP is a Troll.  For every subscription based MMO, you have to agree to a payment plan. 

That being said I like playing subscription based MMOs as it tends to keep the trash out of my playground.

Oh ffs, I already knew it was sub-based. I re-subbed without checking the price and then noticed on my bank statement that it was £12.49. Clear..?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Jan 2011, the standard VAT increased to 20% in the UK, no?  That's from the direct.gov.uk site.

So with the amount being +23% - and - volatility of the currency market, it's entirely likely that it was probably done at 20% to reflect VAT.

So uh, yeah - it does look like you're getting screwed with VAT.  VAT's pretty much the price difference between what somebody in the US is paying versus somebody in the UK.  Simple as that.

Odd how TSW is the only game on the planet that this applies too though isnt it..

WoW, SW;TOR, Eve online.. somehow manage to charge people the same price regardless of location..  but thats okay because TSW is special right. image

• dumbo11dumbo11 Member Posts: 134

VAT doesn't work like that - it's paid to the country in which the company is registered, for Funcom that seems to be Luxembourg at 15%

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Originally posted by kevjards

i dont get what the problem is with the sub price.for years peeps have been paying £8.99 a month..now everyone knows over the last 2 yrs prices have increased in everything so its only logical to assume that sub prices should increase as well.

what also gets me is that in the uk if you go in a nightclub in my area its £5 a pint..so for the priceof 2 pints you have your sub fee which last a month.i know which i would rather do.

It's because people think that games are better if they are free.

Also it's common knowledge that only "nerds" pay for monthlies.