Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hum.. where have I seen this before?

1235»

Comments

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

This is straight ripped out of Final Fantasy 4

I swear.

All they did is change the flying demons to flying dragon.

What a cheap ripoff.

OP is right and spot on, cept FF4 was not an MMO. But well since nowadays everything is an MMO that happens.

Archetypes. We have them: Overcoming the Monster, Rags to Riches, The Quest, Voyage and Return, Comedy, Tragedy, Rebirth. It's not that you use them, it's what you do with them. frankly, when you're old enough you know there's rarely anything truly new under the sun.

Which gets me to, when you make accusations of 'rip off' who is ripping of whom...  Flying dragons attacking a ship?   Stolen from Dungeons and Dragons (Spelljammer Rules Supplement).    Stolen from multiple movies.   Stolen from multiple stories written before PCs invented (and some before computers were invented).     Th e idea is not new.  It wasn't new with FFIV used it.   It won't be new a 100 years in the future when some programmer makes a fantasy game.

And if you were older, and had broad experience in gaming and literature,  you'd have known that.

Originally posted by expresso
    Originally posted by k-damage
    Originally posted by voxnor
    Originally posted by Xzen
    I'm just wondering what mmorpg the OP thinks did the airship vs dragon fight first.

My thought's exactly - i'd love to hear which one the OP thinks is the 'original'.

Judging by his avatar, I think the (sad) answer is obvious. I love these kids who think WoW invented everything, just because they were too young to play older games.

I'm 32 :p

If the shoe was on the other foot, say WoW did not feature an dragon/airship battle in this current expansion but did in MOP these forums would be on fire with posts about how WoW stole the idea from GW2.  More of a demonstration of the hypocrisy on these forums than anything else.

If we're going to be vocal about the game we play we need to fair and balanced.

And FYI I am very much enjoying GW2 at the moment.  No ill will towards GW2 intended.

The idea is both old and public domain.    You can't steal old, public domain ideas.   

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    I'm just wondering what mmorpg the OP thinks did the airship vs dragon fight first.

My thought's exactly - i'd love to hear which one the OP thinks is the 'original'.

Judging by his avatar, I think the (sad) answer is obvious. I love these kids who think WoW invented everything, just because they were too young to play older games.

If the shoe was on the other foot, say WoW did not feature an dragon/airship battle in this current expansion but did in MOP these forums would be on fire with posts about how WoW stole the idea from GW2.  More of a demonstration of the hypocrisy on these forums than anything else.

And FYI I am very much enjoying GW2 at the moment.  No ill will towards GW2 intended.

You expect way too much out of these forums my friend..a bit too much.

I will give you another example.... GW2 and Tera fans flaming WOW by calling it a kiddie game.

Maybe first people should understand what 'irony' means then we can work on being fair and balanced.

Bite Me

Originally posted by rygard49

Well he did specify MMO in the post, so we can safely rule out all of the other sources for this type of encounter, and focus on just that genre. In which case, the only other game I've played where I've seen that is WoW. So he could be referencing that encounter, which is fairly recent. If there was another Airship vs Dragon encounter in another MMO, I'm not aware of it.

I guess by your post I thought you knew of an MMO before WoW that had done this.

Which makes it a false argument by imposing an artificial cut-off of the idea.   It's a public idea.   It's an OLD public idea.  It was in DnD before there were PCs.   It's was in fantasy LONG before DnD.   It will be infantasy long after our children and grandchildren have died of old age.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I love WoW and GW2 but I don't feel threatend by that video. Both games are safe OP! 

If we dig enough we can find things about WoW using EQ2 ideas and Rift using Aion. Just play and have fun.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• You realize the Charr have cars and tanks, right?  Like Deathrace 2000 type cars.

The Asura have mega-lasers and thier weapon look like they are from a sci-fi show like Stargate Atlantis.

This is not a medieval setting.  Only the humans resemble that and they are wearing, acting, and creating architecture of a Renaisance time period.

The entire game is a mish-mash of technology.  The notable aspect here is no one has invented the airplane.  Beyond that the Charr have technology of roughly circa 1960.  The asura have tehcnology of something like the year 3000 AD.  Humans are roughly renaisance and Sylvari are new borns using whatever they find.

Edit: I guess the Norn are technically medieval or even dark ages although everyone borrows technology making that distinction rather nebulous.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

lol, nice shot then ;-)

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Thats the point. WoW didn't do it first and no one said anything about it now did they?

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

I find it strange that for years on this forum people have talked about WoW clones and how  MMO's have gone down hill because they copy WoW.  

But now people are aghast that someone would dare claim someone copied WoW. Seriously? 

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by Robsolf
    Originally posted by fischsemmel

A new game with a tragic antagonist who is the commander of an undead army seeking to wipe out all mortals? That's obviously going to catch a lot of flak.

You mean some jerk stole the "Bad Ash" concept from Army of Darkness?  Or the Witch Kings from LotR?  Or Davey Jones from PotC 2 and 3? 

Let me at those heathens!

You mean Davey Jones and his locker only came about in those cheesy pirate movies?

Books, check 'em out, BOOKS! Check 'em out...

Davey Jones as an undead guy with an army trying to kill living folks, but has a tragic past of lost/betrayed love/friendship, etc.?

Context!  It matters.  Reading OP's to understand context!  It matters...  it keeps your "people are ignorant" sniper posts from being ironic.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by fischsemmel
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
     Or when it had any of the other weapons used (dont feel like making the list)

Or armor.

Or magic.

Or pets.

Or stuff to kill

Or crafting

Or dungeons

Or PvP

Its funny how these things work.

Don't be dense. General things like this are inherent parts of a fantasy MMORPG. There's a difference between including these things in a new game and including specific fight sequences in that game that are extremely reminiscent of specific fight sequences in other games.

A new game with orcs and humans in it? That's obviously fine.

A new game with a tragic antagonist who is the commander of an undead army seeking to wipe out all mortals? That's obviously going to catch a lot of flak.

A new game with magic in it? That's obviously fine.

A new game with magic that is only accessible by someone who equips radioactive pieces of rock in their weapons or armor? That's obviously going to catch a lot of flak.

Eaxctly.... nuff said

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"