Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A themepark game that requires a sandbox mentality... is this GW2's real problem?

Comments

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by fiontar Originally posted by Vesavius First, I will say... loving the game more every day. I make no excuses or bones about that. I think it is actually pretty sublime.   But... some people are not getting it, obviously. Not the majority I think, everyone I see in game seems to be having a great time, but there are those that are finding it not for them. Why? My suspicion is, simply, that GW2 is a strange thing... it is a themepark that requires you to think like a sandbox, but the problem is the vast majority of players are unable to think like you need to to properly enjoy a sandbox. They require close guidance. They require spoon feeding of a daily schedule. Too much choice confuses and frustrates them, at which point they start crying 'bored!!'.   They just don't get it... maybe the game is too subtle in what it does?   To enjoy the game properly, I think, you need to be able to let go of what you have been conditioned with over the last few years, but I suspect a lot of folks ultimately won't be able to do that.   Thoughts?
    I agree. A lot of people have an imperfect undestanding of the themepark/sandbox spectrum, so they may not get your post, but I get it completely. The game provides just enough structure and hand holding for most people who have only played mostly linear, heavily theme parked games, but you definitely need some of the same love for non-linear play and exploration that is required for games like Skyrim, or for MMOs with a sandbox leaning. If someone can't break the linear mentality found in most themepark leaning MMOs, they may be dis-satisfied with this game. The game assumes that you will look to the guide posts (heart tasks, waypoints and PoIs) when you are lost or need a little direction, but that you will not rely on them to provide a progression path to the exclusion of more free-form exploration of the world.  
    Again this 'you don't get it' BS. We get it really but what we don't get is that who are you  to tell anyone 'you are doing it wrong' or dis satisfied because you are playing the game in your own style of preference?

You guys churn a lot of imaginary BS to make your point by the way. And it is the same two or three posters every time trying to educate others on how to enjoy or have fun in GW2.

There is no right or wrong way to play GW2 and certainly you don't need to bring a certain kind of mentality. ANET has put lots of effort and love in personal stories, heart events and achievement system...who are you to tell anyone it is not needed or that they just don't get it so they are dis satisfied?

Anyone else gets annoyed by these obnoxious posts or it just me? play whatever way you want but stop telling others that it is only you or people like OP who 'get it'.

Nope, you're not the only one.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by sfc1971
    Originally posted by Vesavius

First, I will say... loving the game more every day. I make no excuses or bones about that. I think it is actually pretty sublime.

But... some people are not getting it, obviously. Not the majority I think, everyone I see in game seems to be having a great time, but there are those that are finding it not for them.

Why?

My suspicion is, simply, that GW2 is a strange thing... it is a themepark that requires you to think like a sandbox, but the problem is the vast majority of players are unable to think like you need to to properly enjoy a sandbox.

They require close guidance. They require spoon feeding of a daily schedule. Too much choice confuses and frustrates them, at which point they start crying 'bored!!'.

They just don't get it... maybe the game is too subtle in what it does?

To enjoy the game properly, I think, you need to be able to let go of what you have been conditioned with over the last few years, but I suspect a lot of folks ultimately won't be able to do that.

Thoughts?

Your need to read up on themepark. GW2 is the PERFECT example of a THEMEPARK MMO. /snipped for redundancy

I agree. I have stated several times in this thread that it is a themepark.

Originally posted by Sylvarii
    Originally posted by Umbrood

What he is saying is: Those who are not enjoying the game the same way he is are playing it wrong. /snipped to remove trolling

Your interpretation is simply incorrect.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Sorry, I will clarify again.

I don't really think you ever needed to clarify. It's already clear what you are saying:

It's a themepark game that requires players to approach it differently from other themepark games. And if one applies more of a sandbox mentality of having your own goals as apposed to being led around from one area to another (main quest aside) then one might find more enjoyment.

It's debatable if they will but I essentially agree with you.

Thanks Sov, I am glad you and a few others get what's actually being said.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

I don't really think you ever needed to clarify. It's already clear what you are saying:

It's a themepark game that requires players to approach it differently from other themepark games. And if one applies more of a sandbox mentality of having your own goals as apposed to being led around from one area to another (main quest aside) then one might find more enjoyment.

Plenty of people understood what you were saying as you made it quite clear in your op. Here is the crazy part, they just don't agree with you and made it quite clear why in thier posts wether you agree with them or not.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by Lazarus71

Plenty of people understood what you were saying as you made it quite clear in your op. Here is the crazy part, they just don't agree with you and made it quite clear why in thier posts wether you agree with them or not.

^ This .. Knowing what you ment and agreeing with it are two different things.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

The amount of ignorance and stupidity in this thread is stunning.

How hard is to read OP?

People get hungup on the word sandbox and start babbling about that GW2 is not a sandbox game, ofc it's not, try reading the whole OP and stop nitpicking single words to start your debate.

You dont need an IQ of 180 to understand what OP is trying to say.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    I can't really see how you think GW2 is sandbox at all. Having played the game it is themepark, you go from ride to ride. If you go to far in PvE for example the mobs insta kill you. So a very traditional mmo as near as I can tell.
  • NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Torgrim

How hard is to read OP?

People get hungup on the word sandbox and start babbling about that GW2 is not a sandbox game, ofc it's not, try reading the whole OP and stop nitpicking single words to start your debate.

This again...

People understand what he is saying and they are disagreeing with him. Disagreeing doesn't mean 'they don't get it'. Stop being so patronizing please.

Bite Me

How hard is to read OP?

This again...

People understand what he is saying and they are disagreeing with him. Disagreeing doesn't mean 'they don't get it'. Stop being so patronizing please.

I've read thrue the whole thread It seems you haven't with that kind of respons.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Z3R01

With GW2 its designed in a way that people are guided from objective to objective. follow personal story, Talk to a scout, go to the hearts, take part in events as they pop up, follow the poi, vista & skill markers. 

Once everything is done you move to the next zone... 

As linear as linear could be tbh. No special mentalitiy required. The people that you think dont get it, actually do they just dont find it fun.

Your post is a perfect example of the misconceptions people have about the game that the OP was talking about.

Were you aware that Hearts were added late in Beta because testers complained they didn't know what to do or where to go? That the game originally didn't have them at all and was designed and conceived of as a "free roamer" where you just wandered the zone, explored, and participated in what was happening around you in the world?

...and that is still the "optimal" way to approach the game and the design?

It's not the "only" way. Different people have different tastes so "following the Hearts" will work and some might be very happy with that.

The OP's post was targeted at people who are following the Hearts but not happy with it. It wasn't for the trolls who have picked up this meme and just use it to attack the game. It wasn't for people who are having fun following the Hearts. It wasn't even for people who decided they don't like the game and have gone back to their game of choice.

The post was for people who actually do want to enjoy the game but aren't and are playing "follow the Hearts" instead of just wandering. Once again:

http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/interviews/dynamic-events-dev-journal-colin-johanson

One of the lead designers explaining how the design works. The last few paragraphs are directly pertinent to this discussion.

A Zone isn't "done" at 100% Map Completion. In some sense in this game zones are never "done" - the design supports playing in a zone as long as you are having fun and moving on when you feel like it. That is a very different design than we've seen in a Themepark in a very long time.

Your post actually proves the OP's point. Regardless of whether you enjoy it or not... you didn't "get it."

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

I understood from your title, however, you used the load term "sandbox"  It's a term that can't be defined but will be emotionally defended to the death as meaning something that isn't what you mean.

The idea is sound though, the game does provide a frame work that can guid you around but it doesn't have to. I'm not saying that your playing the game wrong but you really can't experience what it  has to offer without stepping outside of that. 

Originally posted by Requiem1066

For some people it seems it just can't be only a game. It has to be something deep and meaningful, an epiphany that only the chosen few are able to get.

It's a game .. nothing more and tell's us more about those that have to make it something deeper, than it does about those that don't " get it ".

Guess it's a bit like those that see the face of Christ in a slice of toast :p

I see plenty of people ingame just running past several named NPC to get to the next heart, what they don't get is that those NPC actually do trigger DEs when you speak to them, some are quite simple others are complex and some NPC have an intresting story to tell.

The point is, those NPC have no ! over thier heads so they are not intresting but that heart over there that is marked on the map that is more intresting.

You see those people who complain about GW2 is same ol same ol and they always bring up the exact same examples to fuel the debate why they are bored with GW2, can you guess what it is?

Yes the example they take up are always hearts and the basic centaur DE in Queensdale.

So people who says that some don't get GW2 are actually quite correct.

And yes some people are bored overall but I think they are bored with the whole themepark genre and was hoping for GW2 be somekind of revolution in all things, experience things that have never ever been done before.

For some people it seems it just can't be only a game. It has to be something deep and meaningful, an epiphany that only the chosen few are able to get.

It's a game .. nothing more and tell's us more about those that have to make it something deeper, than it does about those that don't " get it ".

I see plenty of people ingame just running past several named NPC to get to the next heart, what they don't get is that those NPC actually do trigger DEs when you speak to them, some are quite simple others are complex and some NPC have an intresting story to tell.

The point is, those NPC have no ! over thier heads so they are not intresting but that heart over there that is marked on the map that is more intresting.

You see those people who complain about GW2 is same ol same ol and they always bring up the exact same examples to fuel the debate why they are bored with GW2, can you guess what it is is?

Yes the example they take up are always hearts and the basic centaur DE in Queensdale.

And yes some people are bored overall but I think they are bored with the whole themepark genre and was hoping for GW2 be somekind of revolution in all things, experience things that have never ever been done before.

Not entirely correct. a lot of NPC have a bright circle over their head, you talk to them and they trigger events. Other NPC's are timed and trigger events on their own.  So hearts and scouts are not the only two NPC with obvious signs over their heads.

Bite Me

You see those people who complain about GW2 is same ol same ol and they always bring up the exact same examples to fuel the debate why they are bored with GW2, can you guess what it is is?

Not entirely correct. a lot of NPC have a bright circle over their head, you talk to them and they trigger events. Other NPC's are timed and trigger events on their own.  So hearts and scouts are not the only two NPC with obvious signs over their heads.

Yes that's true that some NPC has that circle overhead but that means that the NPC is ready for next part of the DE chain, that circle just don't pop up from nowhere, someone talked to him before and triggered the whole DE.

Yes that's true that some NPC has that circle overhead but that means that the NPC is ready for next part of the DE chain, that circle just don't pop up from nowhere, someone talked to him before and triggered the whole DE.

I am pretty sure i did four events in Diessa plateau where i  triggered the NPC with circle over his head and it was the very first step of the chain. It might vary from zone to zone so i can not confirm this till i go more higher.

Bite Me

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Acidon
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Wrong, I'm not max level and I can run around doing stuff freely. In every other themepark including Rift I get very specifically told what to do, where, and how, in order to level up. Fact. Not to mention it's pointless to go back to lower level zones in games like Rift (or any other themepark pretty much) since you have out leveled the zone and all there is to do is trolling around.

Have you guys even played these games you comment on about?

Have you?

In Rift you can down-level to any level you like.  You can take part in any Zone Event you like - Any Dungeon - Any Dynamic Content - Any Overland Adventure.

So, at least in the case of Rift, it's never pointless to go back to lower level zones.  You get rewarded with things for your own actual level.  

Any of this sounding familiar? =)

Carry on.. Just felt the need to clarify this.

I played Rift to lvl20 before I quit it, one of the main reasons was, like I said, I got very specifically told what to do, where, and how much in order to level. There's only one starter zone per faction and when I asked around about higher levels, people said there's only one path from start to finish. Since I make a bunch of alts usually when I play, it was enough info to stop playing.

I have 2 characters in GW2 around lvl30, both leveled in completely different areas, however I went to the same areas a few times for skill points, and the events happening there were 50% of the time different than what I remember from the other char :)

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

No

Some have it regardless. Lot of the patrol ones are infamous for this. Has nothing to do with anyone talking to someone to activate their "circle". There are or least were a couple that pop almost as soon as they are finished. Can watch it yourself and see it happens without anyone talking to an npc.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Several people seemed to have no clue what he was saying. Either that or they were giving him a hard time.

I actually do agree with him. I swear, players are their own worse enemies.

They tend to put themselves on their own treadmills because they see the shinies or want to "level fast" and sometimes it seems they have no clue why they are "leveling fast". Presumably for some end game that may or may not be to their liking.

With this game, since one can pvp without achieving capped level and one can join in on a variety of tasks no matter the level (though from my experience being a few levels too low makes it a bit harder) running around and doing heats ad nauseum just for the xp is a quick way to get burned out.

It's very clear that this game is not for everyone and it has become painfully clear that approaching this game like one would approach wow is going to get people burned out fast or at top level with no clue on what actually happened.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Who cares what it is ? Themepark or Sandbox ? WHO cares ?
    Having fun ? yes ? then what does it matter ?
    Whats the problem ? i dont see it ?
    I like it !!! Does it matter to me what it is ? Themepark or Sandbox ? No it doesnt !!!
    Iam having fun , do i check and see before i play if its a themepark or sandbox ? No !!!

Who the frack cares ?

Several people seemed to have no clue what he was saying. Either that or they were giving him a hard time.

I actually do agree with him. I swear, players are their own worse enemies.

They tend to put themselves on their own treadmills because they see the shinies or want to "level fast" and sometimes it seems they have no clue why they are "leveling fast". Presumably for some end game that may or may not be to their liking.

With this game, since one can pvp without achieving capped level and one can join in on a variety of tasks no matter the level (though from my experience being a few levels too low makes it a bit harder) running around and doing heats ad nauseum just for the xp is a quick way to get burned out.

It's very clear that this game is not for everyone and it has become painfully clear that approaching this game like one would approach wow is going to get people burned out fast or at top level with no clue on what actually happened.

Well sead.

+1

• klerkenklerken Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by Stx11

One of the lead designers explaining how the design works. The last few paragraphs are directly pertinent to this discussion.

A Zone isn't "done" at 100% Map Completion. In some sense in this game zones are never "done" - the design supports playing in a zone as long as you are having fun and moving on when you feel like it. That is a very different design than we've seen in a Themepark in a very long time.

Your post actually proves the OP's point. Regardless of whether you enjoy it or not... you didn't "get it."

or at least until they say you have been there too long doing the stuff you find fun and starts to give diminishing returns on loot

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I will say it is more sandbox than most sandbox games. Sandbox is options to do what you want. Most games that call themselves sandbox do not actually have freedom of options. Look closely at those games and tell me otherwise.

However, MMOs themselves should have options for you as a player to play how you want. Now because most gamers today have beeen playing only for a few years they did not get trained to play a game that did not hold their hands. Yes this can be a problem for some of those gamers, all they have to do is ask for help.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

First, I will say... loving the game more every day. I make no excuses or bones about that. I think it is actually pretty sublime.

But... some people are not getting it, obviously. Not the majority I think, everyone I see in game seems to be having a great time, but there are those that are finding it not for them.

Why?

My suspicion is, simply, that GW2 is a strange thing... it is a themepark that requires you to think like a sandbox, but the problem is the vast majority of players are unable to think like you need to to properly enjoy a sandbox.

They require close guidance. They require spoon feeding of a daily schedule. Too much choice confuses and frustrates them, at which point they start crying 'bored!!'.

They just don't get it... maybe the game is too subtle in what it does?

To enjoy the game properly, I think, you need to be able to let go of what you have been conditioned with over the last few years, but I suspect a lot of folks ultimately won't be able to do that.

Thoughts?

I'm afraid you won't be able to undo what the government has been grooming them for since birth.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I saw a guy in-game who was running against a wall in Divinity's Reach today. Just ran and ran against the wall whining how crap the game is since he gets no XP or loot for his wall-running efforts, and that he's going to rage quit the game ofcourse.

Since he wasnt playing the game wrong, we can all agree on that, we all know now that everyone is entitled to play any game how they want, lets agree that there's some serious design flaws in GW2 at least in the wall-running aspect of the game :(