Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pleasantly Surprised.

ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

So far I believe this game has surprised me. I really thought I had reached the stage in my gaming 'career' where the MMO was not a factor. I got this game after reading some articles about it a few days before it released. I told myself, this is the last time. Yeah sure right?

Honestly, after SWTOR, I really wasn't looking for another MMO unless it was drastically different. TSW was great but for some reason I felt I was missing something. Plus, after awhile, the dreary mood of the game was not something I looked forward to.

I would not have gotten Guild Wars if it was a subscription MMO. After reading the articles, the non-sub part of the game is what pushed me to give it a try.

I have refused to endorse another MMO because of the failures recently. I loved AoC but none of my friends did. I loved SWTOR until I realized that I had no control over anything in that game. It was a single player game with other people running around.

This game, I endorse.

First, no subscription and there is no requirement to purchase more content or spend money to open a cool class that is not available without a subscription. You can truly play this game to the end without spending another dime. The initial cost is steep but it is on par with most AAA games recently.

2nd, the classes are really fun to play. As a warrior I am not locked into a 2-hand sword or duel swords. No I can use a rifle, a dagger, a bow and much more. Some weapons are restricted but there are so many more choices than restrictions. This is true for all classes.

3rd, EXPLORATION IS BACK! Age of Conan had some exploration and it was fun and deadly. World of Warcraft had plenty of exploration and of course SWG had so much land to explore that I never did explore it all. This game is not as free as SWG in exploration but it surpasses Age of Conan and is close to being on par with WoW. I honestly couldn't say if WoW had more or less.

4th, PvP. I loved PvP in SWG, hated it in CoH, loved it in WoW and never got much chance to do it in Age of Conan. When I did it was very fun. This game has 2 options; WvWvW or sPvP. WvWvW is World vs World vd World. Three different servers battle for positions which gains buffs for everyone on the world you are fighting for. So non-pvp players gain the buffs while doing their PvE. The sPvP is structured PvP where everyone is on equal footing in terms of gear and weapons. This pvp requires skill and knowledge of your class. I haven't tried it yet, but I really want to.

5th ... ok, I have posted enough. There is much more I could say, but I think I got my point across. This game is fun and I am glad I got it.

There are a few things I don't like such as not being able to go into first-person mode. But overall, I think the game is worth it.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

Comments

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Thornrage

So far I believe this game has surprised me. I really thought I had reached the stage in my gaming 'career' where the MMO was not a factor. I got this game after reading some articles about it a few days before it released. I told myself, this is the last time. Yeah sure right?

Honestly, after SWTOR, I really wasn't looking for another MMO unless it was drastically different. TSW was great but for some reason I felt I was missing something. Plus, after awhile, the dreary mood of the game was not something I looked forward to.

I would not have gotten Guild Wars if it was a subscription MMO. After reading the articles, the non-sub part of the game is what pushed me to give it a try.

I have refused to endorse another MMO because of the failures recently. I loved AoC but none of my friends did. I loved SWTOR until I realized that I had no control over anything in that game. It was a single player game with other people running around.

This game, I endorse.

First, no subscription and there is no requirement to purchase more content or spend money to open a cool class that is not available without a subscription. You can truly play this game to the end without spending another dime. The initial cost is steep but it is on par with most AAA games recently.

That's a plus.

2nd, the classes are really fun to play. As a warrior I am not locked into a 2-hand sword or duel swords. No I can use a rifle, a dagger, a bow and much more. Some weapons are restricted but there are so many more choices than restrictions. This is true for all classes.

Some people would disagree,i'm 50/50 on this.

3rd, EXPLORATION IS BACK! Age of Conan had some exploration and it was fun and deadly. World of Warcraft had plenty of exploration and of course SWG had so much land to explore that I never did explore it all. This game is not as free as SWG in exploration but it surpasses Age of Conan and is close to being on par with WoW. I honestly couldn't say if WoW had more or less.

Utter RUBBISH lol,exploration has never left,you just haven't been playing the right MMO.Vanguard leaves GW2 exploration for dust,it's not even on the same page i'm afraid.Five years of playing and i still havent been to all corners of the vast world or done every single dungeon.

Could you really say that after playing GW2 for 5 years,i really don't think so.GW2 exploratiuon is okay but no where near how people arte making it out to be.

4th, PvP. I loved PvP in SWG, hated it in CoH, loved it in WoW and never got much chance to do it in Age of Conan. When I did it was very fun. This game has 2 options; WvWvW or sPvP. WvWvW is World vs World vd World. Three different servers battle for positions which gains buffs for everyone on the world you are fighting for. So non-pvp players gain the buffs while doing their PvE. The sPvP is structured PvP where everyone is on equal footing in terms of gear and weapons. This pvp requires skill and knowledge of your class. I haven't tried it yet, but I really want to.

Hmm,what are you actually PvPing for,oh wait it's for fun...REALLY? Fun will only last a little while before it quickly turns into utter repeatative boredom.

5th ... ok, I have posted enough. There is much more I could say, but I think I got my point across. This game is fun and I am glad I got it.

There are a few things I don't like such as not being able to go into first-person mode. But overall, I think the game is worth it.

Glad you like the game,just like i do but it has major flaws.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

Yeah probably utter rubbish for you and others, but for me in my expirience, this has more exploration. I am not disputing what you said.

As for 5 years. I highly doubt I will be around 1 year unless I find reason to be. I lasted 3 years with Age of Conan and that was only because of the guild I was in. Same with WoW. All other MMOs, I was gone within a year. 

PvPing for fun is what I do. That is why I have been able to play First person shooters for over 10 years. It is not the game per se, it is the friends I game with.

All in all a fair reply to what I posted. Thanks.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Yeah probably utter rubbish for you and others, but for me in my expirience, this has more exploration. I am not disputing what you said.

As for 5 years. I highly doubt I will be around 1 year unless I find reason to be. I lasted 3 years with Age of Conan and that was only because of the guild I was in. Same with WoW. All other MMOs, I was gone within a year. 

PvPing for fun is what I do. That is why I have been able to play First person shooters for over 10 years. It is not the game per se, it is the friends I game with.

think the word is "meaningful exploration" many games you could go off exploring but hardly find anything interesting.. i really liked SWG and the worlds were massive but most of it was empty barren land you just sped accross most of it. For me that just adds to the feeling of a bigger world but really doesn't make things that interesting.. GW2 on the other hand adds a ton of interesting locations and areas packed into the zones which makes it much more "meaningful exploration" in my book... oh also the fact you are rewarded for exploring as well helps.. i have gotten some nice stuff from getting 100% on maps and there's some great hidden areas as well.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

think the word is "meaningful exploration" many games you could go off exploring but hardly find anything interesting.. i really liked SWG and the worlds were massive but most of it was empty barren land you just sped accross most of it. For me that just adds to the feeling of a bigger world but really doesn't make things that interesting.. GW2 on the other hand adds a ton of interesting locations and areas packed into the zones which makes it much more "meaningful exploration" in my book... oh also the fact you are rewarded for exploring as well helps.. i have gotten some nice stuff from getting 100% on maps and there's some great hidden areas as well.

This ^

I like exploring, not my TOP thing to do but definitely one of the activities I usually enjoy, but I don't like it to the point that I'll do it for no reason but wandering around. GW2 gives me incentive and little surprises (as well as awesome kodak moments for screenshots) so the reward makes it even better.