Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Jump,jump,jump and I fall

cheyanecheyane Rome Posts: 3,003Member Uncommon

I swear whoever invented the very first jump to some high point to get a chest or data crystal or vista has a mean not to mention  sadistic streak in them. Poor little old ladies like me who have never learnt to jump well struggle I mean literally hours to get it but OMG when I do the feeling of achievement knows no bounds.

 

I recall the waterworks data crystal in SWTOR had me cursing. You know the whole run and jump thing eluded me since Everquest but my son used to help me and that particularly nasty jump that had people going oh stupid women wish we did not need a healer or we would have chucked her out of the group half an hour ago in Wailing Caverns in WoW used to make me apologize and I knew what was going through their minds. This is why mothers should not play....ahh my son is back okay one try done.

 

My son is going to university this month and my expert jumper is deserting me. So here I am trying to jump the breached wall on my own. Oh god I finally got to where the captain and cultist were like after 30 tries maybe and he punts me into a crevice the cultist ...I cried. I finally did it but I have 4 other toons....save me image

image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

  • VolkmarVolkmar EspooPosts: 2,497Member Uncommon

    Morgan's Spiral gives me nightmare... *shudders* All those veteran mobs and husks ready to kill you if you fall and the only waypoint is BEFORE the whole jumping puzzle.....

    At least the Asurans ones have the decency of having these nice little robots that can teleport you to the latest "checkpoint" in the puzzle so even if you fall and fall and fall... you can continue from near-ish where you were.

    That being said, I will eventually conquer the cursed mushroom stairway! You can bet I will....

    And I hate platformers in general, never played any Mario games, go figures :P

    "If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"



  • VesaviusVesavius BristolPosts: 7,647Member Uncommon
    Made me lol :)
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Boca Raton, FLPosts: 4,528Member Uncommon

    That feeling of relief, happiness and triumph that you felt when you finally made it is exactly why we play these games.

     

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

  • AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTPosts: 4,782Member Uncommon

    Well I can tell you they are the most challenging thing in a game for me as well! I'm no spring chicken by any means but variety is what we need. 

    I hate anything in life I have to go backwards in, and falling off of any puzzle like this and having to start again is so irritating sometimes!  The loot at the end is the prize, but the end is the reward, it is very satisfying!

    "Hang" in there!

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • you can buy something called "telportation device", i repeat "telportation" without the e...i forgot where but gw2db maybe could tell you or otherwise google. (not sure if it was device or something else, but it was telportation)

    what it basically does is making you jump forward in the direction you stand in, or something like that. it's much farther than your normal jump. they're not expensive so you can try one out anyways.

  • ResetgunResetgun OuluPosts: 471Member
    Some character classes have skills that help you with those jumping puzzles. Like warrior have jumping skill with 2H hammer (F1 skill, you need to have aggression - for aggression you can try bersekker stance).

    "I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

  • DjildjameshDjildjamesh maasdijkPosts: 406Member Uncommon

    haha that was a great read =)

    hang in there :>

  • DeolusDeolus DoncasterPosts: 392Member
    I'm just thankful that death from falling doesn't damage your armor otherwise I'd be out of cash by now. Especially after that dredge cave vista in the 45ish zone where you have to run up all the platforms fighting along the way. The number of times I accidently dodged off the walkway...
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOPosts: 2,732Member Common
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Made me lol :)

    Me too. Reminds me of a very close friend I had on WoW's Rexxar server. Bless her heart............

    I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

  • DragonantisDragonantis DublinPosts: 974Member
    Keep it up, jumping makes perfect, when you are done, you will be a jumping superstar XD
  • Impulse47Impulse47 St. Louis, MOPosts: 158Member Common
    Just wait until Griffonrook...
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Thereiam, ARPosts: 2,697Member
    Originally posted by cheyane

    I swear whoever invented the very first jump to some high point to get a chest or data crystal or vista has a mean not to mention  sadistic streak in them. Poor little old ladies like me who have never learnt to jump well struggle I mean literally hours to get it but OMG when I do the feeling of achievement knows no bounds.

     

    I recall the waterworks data crystal in SWTOR had me cursing. You know the whole run and jump thing eluded me since Everquest but my son used to help me and that particularly nasty jump that had people going oh stupid women wish we did not need a healer or we would have chucked her out of the group half an hour ago in Wailing Caverns in WoW used to make me apologize and I knew what was going through their minds. This is why mothers should not play....ahh my son is back okay one try done.

     

    My son is going to university this month and my expert jumper is deserting me. So here I am trying to jump the breached wall on my own. Oh god I finally got to where the captain and cultist were like after 30 tries maybe and he punts me into a crevice the cultist ...I cried. I finally did it but I have 4 other toons....save me image

     I used to be baffled by people who couldn't make the WC jump in WoW over and over. I'd be standing there like "Ok I can see missing it once, but the person has missed 3 times in a row?!"

     

    I would say the best thing for you would be to complete everything on one character and not worry about being 100% on the others as after doing all those over and over you are going to get more and more frustrated.

  • Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 18,045Member Uncommon

    You should try a tombraider game. :)

    Really, the key to jumping in a game like this is practice. A few hours and you should jump like a pro.

    Find a good vista where you need to jump but wont fall to your death and practice, DR have several that would work.

  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Puerto OrdazPosts: 1,065Member Uncommon

    Ok, finally... after so many tries I'm standing in the final platform, the vista is right in front of me, I just need to take two steps forward and I'll be in range to grab it.. carefull *taps W* one step... *taps W* NOOOO!!! I MEANT TO TAKE A STEP!!! NOT ROLL FORWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRGGHHHRR *SPLAT*

    Wonder if I'm the only one keeps doing this.. :)

    What can men do against such reckless hate?

  • JackdogJackdog Charleston, SCPosts: 6,344Member

    a couple of hints on jumping puzzles .

    1. learn when to turn off the run key and go into walk mode and when to be in run mode. This helps prevent "overjumping"
    2. remap the jump and foward keys to a couple of adjacent ones that you feel comfortable with. I use the left arrow as a jump and the up arrow for forward. I just use the mouse ( in my case trackball ) to turn

    I miss DAoC

  • Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 18,045Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Jackdog

    a couple of hints on jumping puzzles .

    1. learn when to turn off the run key and go into walk mode and when to be in run mode. This helps prevent "overjumping"
    2. remap the jump and foward keys to a couple of adjacent ones that you feel comfortable with. I use the left arrow as a jump and the up arrow for forward. I just use the mouse ( in my case trackball ) to turn

    Nah, that doesnt sounds fun. I use my lotus petal 2 knife attack instead of space to jump when Im bored, makes things interesting. :)

    But yes, good advice for people who have problems though.

  • Paragus1Paragus1 Philadelphia, PAPosts: 1,739Member Uncommon
    I LOVE platformers.  I've spent a lot of my time on twitch TV in the platforming hell of "I Wanna be the Guy" and its various spin offs.   I just completed that puzzle in the Caledon Forest (Sylvari noob area) yesterday and uploaded to youtube.   I'm debating touring the world and trying to make videos of the other ones.  The PvP dungeon was was probably the harshest one I've done so far.   It's hard just in itself, but having to worry about getting rolled in there makes it worse.
  • SenadinaSenadina San Diego, CAPosts: 896Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

    Ok, finally... after so many tries I'm standing in the final platform, the vista is right in front of me, I just need to take two steps forward and I'll be in range to grab it.. carefull *taps W* one step... *taps W* NOOOO!!! I MEANT TO TAKE A STEP!!! NOT ROLL FORWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRGGHHHRR *SPLAT*

    Wonder if I'm the only one keeps doing this.. :)

     I did this once. Then discovered the lovely option to turn off double tap to dodge. Now I turn it off for all tricky jumping puzzles.

    image
Sign In or Register to comment.