Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hum.. where have I seen this before?

Comments

• voxnorvoxnor osMember Posts: 121
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

You look at all of these airships and a dragon could just rip off the engine or rip it apart from underneath.  Sometimes making things look cool just gets ridiculous.  Let's attack a killer shark by floating on teh surface and leaving our legs exposed.  that should work well.

Sure it's nitpicky, but that's why draons in MMO's never make sense.  They always stand on the ground and let people hack them up.

I can't speak for you... but I play fantasy games to do things that aren't possible, aren't realistic, and border on the unimaginable. I honestly don't care what the Dragon does, as long as I feel epic while I am defeating him.

If he is 60 feet tall and killing people left and right - well that makes for some epicness, whether or not his AI is intelligent.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

You look at all of these airships and a dragon could just rip off the engine or rip it apart from underneath.  Sometimes making things look cool just gets ridiculous.  Let's attack a killer shark by floating on teh surface and leaving our legs exposed.  that should work well.

Sure it's nitpicky, but that's why draons in MMO's never make sense.  They always stand on the ground and let people hack them up.

Got it, so basically fighting a dragon, no matter how you do it, is stupid and should never be done.

Glad I didn't play any RPG ever. Being cynical on an RPG forum is way more fun and realistic.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I've fought alot of dragons in my days, and I gotta say that this fight and Dragon Soul do look ALOT alike.  Even the guns on the ship look like the ones in WoW except they have the partial, spherical thing around them.  Without that sphere it would look exactly like it.  At least in other fights with airships and dragons, they look different.

As for dragons being stupid in MMOs, I kinda agree, especially when it's really easy.  At least in games like FFXI, the big mega bosses actually killed people like they got points for doing it and the bosses all got ranked on some board lol.  *cough* Absolute Virtue *cough*  I finally got to beat it, and it was one of the most epic times I've ever had in any MMO. :)  (I literaly got up and did a victory lap around the house lol)

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by eggy08

I hear that the fight should be exclusively in the water. That would of gotten the fans so happy that they might of thrown their computers out the window in pure bliss........ God I hate underwater crap in this game.

Lol dear god in heaven that would suck. If we end up with one of those now I'm blaming you.

Then again maybe we would fight the dragon underwater on a sub! Yeah!

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by aesperus

Got it, so basically fighting a dragon, no matter how you do it, is stupid and should never be done.

Glad I didn't play any RPG ever. Being cynical on an RPG forum is way more fun and realistic.

Uh, nope.  Get it while it's sleeping in a lair, weaken it by poisoning it's food, steal a baby dragon and make it come to you where you can shoot it down.  Heck, attack it with 50 airships, at least theree's no guarantee yours would be destroyed.

One story quest had a dragon attacking a base.  but rather than just keep flying by and torching everyone and every tower, it waits and lands on the ground.

All of the dragon fights I've seen outside are just go up to a leg and keep hacking until it dies.

If that's all your going to do with most of the dragons in the game, find another big baddy.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Lets be honest most settings have been done before. Almost any encounter was probably done on the early systems. Maybe not as graphically or astetically pleasing but regardless the setting has been done. I am sure if you take it far enough. Pen and papermight have done it even earlier. I am just not quite that arcaic ;)
  • eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlVohnTKlTY

Pretty sure this sums up this thread.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Uh, nope.  Get it while it's sleeping in a lair, weaken it by poisoning it's food, steal a baby dragon and make it come to you where you can shoot it down.  Heck, attack it with 50 airships, at least theree's no guarantee yours would be destroyed.

One story quest had a dragon attacking a base.  but rather than just keep flying by and torching everyone and every tower, it waits and lands on the ground.

All of the dragon fights I've seen outside are just go up to a leg and keep hacking until it dies.

If that's all your going to do with most of the dragons in the game, find another big baddy.

Trick the Dragon into morphing into human form, then kill it.

Lure the dragon into an unsteady part of the cave then knock a big rock or stalagtite onto the dragons head.

Yes...that would have been such a fun personal story quest to do if it simply kept flying around torching everything.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Yes...that would have been such a fun personal story quest to do if it simply kept flying around torching everything.

I think Frodo's point is, once you create the rules for a world, then the creatures should act in a logical way within those rules. If a Dragon can fly, why would it land on the ground in order to be hacked?

Example: in the Ulduar raid you fight Razor scale in an open area, Is he simply going to land and let the players hack at him, No, the players fire balistas and chain him to the ground where he becomes trapped.

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

I think Frodo's point is, once you create the rules for a world, then the creatures should act in a logical way within those rules. If a Dragon can fly, why would it land on the ground in order to be hacked?

Example: in the Ulduar raid you fight Razor scale in an open area, Is he simply going to land and let the players hack at him, No, the players fire balistas and chain him to the ground where he becomes trapped.

At a certain point though you have to suspend disbelief even in the realm of fantasy though. If you want to put a realistic spin on it no one would ever be able to take a dragon on.

If you try putting a realistic spin on things in these games you could tear anything to pieces if you wanted to. I'm not going to sit here and say these are the best designed boss fights I have done. On the other hand I can't remotely take this topic the slightest bit seriously.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

If it helps (and i might be wrong here, just glanced the video) there were severall airships on the map, not just one.

Most likely because there were a lot of dragon champions flying around the place.

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

At a certain point though you have to suspend disbelief even in the realm of fantasy though. If you want to put a realistic spin on it no one would ever be able to take a dragon on.

If you try putting a realistic spin on things in these games you could tear anything to pieces if you wanted to. I'm not going to sit here and say these are the best designed boss fights I have done. On the other hand I can't remotely take this topic the slightest bit seriously.

In fantasy, you create the rules: People suspend their disbelief when the creators stay within those rules and the people and creatures act logically within the rules.

The problem's that can be created are actually gifts that make the world more interesting.

If a Dragon can fry you with it's breath, then you have to find some sort of flame retardant before you fight him. Or you need to get out of the way of the breath weapon.

If a Dragon can simply fly away, then you have to find a way to make him stay.

If a Dragon can come underneath a flying ship and smash it to bits, then you have to have protection of some sort, A mage with a spell you have to protect or guns underneath you ship.

Coming up with solutions for these things, make for more interesting fights.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    The nitpicks I've made aren't ones I'd make when playing, except for the world dragons that just stand there.  Those fights are horrible.
    The nitpicks I've made aren't ones I'd make when playing, except for the world dragons that just stand there.  Those fights are horrible.

Can tell you haven't done many dungeons :P

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by expresso
    So I saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmua96QycDM video (spoliers), now where have I seen that before in an MMO?  I am leaving now.

Hands down the daftest and most petulant complaint I have ever seen on these boards.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    So I saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmua96QycDM video (spoliers), now where have I seen that before in an MMO?  I am leaving now.

Hands down the daftest and most petulant complaint I have ever seen on these boards.

"The download is too big" still tops the charts in my book, but this one is pretty close.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by just1opinion
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Hey OP.  Other fantasy games did it before WoW... but I assume you're not "leaving now".  We always knew which side your bread was buttered on anyway, I don't expect your own hypocrisy to open your eyes.  Have fun going back to the melting pot of all generic fantasy cliches.

I can't even COUNT anymore how many of your posts are "quote-worthy" to me.  And here's another.

Gosh.... lol  Well like I said, even if I don't hate WoW, that's pretty much what WoW is.  Heck, the Lich King is still one of my favorite villains in video games, but none of Blizzard's plots or characters are terribly original.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Hi all I'm back from the store, so whats been..... DAMN IT! forgot the milk BRB
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

"The download is too big" still tops the charts in my book, but this one is pretty close.

What about "no elves"?

But seriously, we seen plenty of silly reasons for people to quit MMO and "my friends didnt like it" from an ex AoC player still gets the retard cake, some people just care more about what others think then what they think themselves.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by voxnor
    Originally posted by Xzen
    I'm just wondering what mmorpg the OP thinks did the airship vs dragon fight first.

My thought's exactly - i'd love to hear which one the OP thinks is the 'original'.

Judging by his avatar, I think the (sad) answer is obvious. I love these kids who think WoW invented everything, just because they were too young to play older games.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Ah damn and I was enjoying my Necromancer, but as Necromancers have been 'done to death' (he he) and 'plant elves' were first created in Runequest's Glorantha, I shouldn't play either right?

I'll just delete the game from my hard drive huh?

Get a grip OP!

The Fantasy genre has been going since the 1920's in modern times and since at least Homer in Ancient Greek times and nearly every trope you can think of has been written about, filmed and played. It doesn't mean you can't enjoy new iterations of it instead of griping about airships and dragons....

... perhaps you would have preferred jetpacks?

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330
    idc what did what first, but whoever played WoW and did Dragon Soul every week since it came out wouldnt wanna see more airship fights :P the few raids i did its the fight alot of groups wiped on too. im probably gonn get trolled hard for mentioned WoW but in all seriousness airship fights are cliche and not very creative nor original anymore.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by k-damage
    Originally posted by voxnor
    Originally posted by Xzen
    I'm just wondering what mmorpg the OP thinks did the airship vs dragon fight first.

My thought's exactly - i'd love to hear which one the OP thinks is the 'original'.

Judging by his avatar, I think the (sad) answer is obvious. I love these kids who think WoW invented everything, just because they were too young to play older games.

I'm 32 :p

If the shoe was on the other foot, say WoW did not feature an dragon/airship battle in this current expansion but did in MOP these forums would be on fire with posts about how WoW stole the idea from GW2.  More of a demonstration of the hypocrisy on these forums than anything else.

If we're going to be vocal about the game we play we need to fair and balanced.

And FYI I am very much enjoying GW2 at the moment.  No ill will towards GW2 intended.

• wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172

Aye, not played an RPG since FF1, soooo unorigianl, airships, pleh!