Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how is the DE-HYPE phase going?

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Tardcore
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Thanks though for that dump truck full of egotistical condescension, insinuating that anyone who dislikes the game must not have actually played it. Gee its not like I haven't heard that old tune before.

Sorry you feel that way. I meant you no ill feelings. Good luck to you, I know your history now without even looking at it.

Well if that wasn't your intent then you have my most humble apologies. Without facial expressions and mannerisims it is sometimes hard to judge a persons intent. But since you closed both of your posts to me with essentially "Aw come on, try it you'll like it", maybe you can understand why I would jump to the (in this case wrong) conclusion that you were insinuating my opinions were based on zero actual game experiance.

Meh, no big deal at all. You seemed cordial and I thought we were chatting. Nothing against you, but it seems this entire forum is always ready to bend each other over a kitchen table. 

I'm moving on and going back to playing. o.O

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Thanks though for that dump truck full of egotistical condescension, insinuating that anyone who dislikes the game must not have actually played it. Gee its not like I haven't heard that old tune before.

Sorry you feel that way. I meant you no ill feelings. Good luck to you, I know your history now without even looking at it.

Well if that wasn't your intent then you have my most humble apologies. Without facial expressions and mannerisims it is sometimes hard to judge a persons intent. But since you closed both of your posts to me with essentially "Aw come on, try it you'll like it", maybe you can understand why I would jump to the (in this case wrong) conclusion that you were insinuating my opinions were based on zero actual game experiance.

Meh, no big deal at all. You seemed cordial and I thought we were chatting. Nothing against you, but it seems this entire forum is always ready to bend each other over a kitchen table. 

I'm moving on and going back to playing. o.O

*breaks bottle on edge of bar*

Oh YEAH!? Well try saying that again!!! image

No worries. Again without the facial expressions and mannerisms (and admittedly WITH a few pints on my part) it is sometimes far too easy to take playfulness as spiteful sracasm.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• LyveanLyvean Member Posts: 7

What I hate about MMOs, and GW 2 is guilty as well, is that they do not let me customize my character how I want it. 

I can't make him ugly, I can't make him fat, I can't make him scarred, I can't make him different. Instead, I have the developer deciding how I must look, with little variety, which is... shitty.

Also, GW 2 has very little armor and clothes variety, which is sad.

I also can't understand why I can't find a hood. I'm a ranger and I want to wear to hood. I'm flucking cliched like that. Why on earth is it so difficult to find one? Are hoods treasured possessions in Tyria, gaurded by Kralkatorrik himself? 

Tell me how I can find a hood and I will play this game forever! 

As for the dehype, give it time, it's still early yet. But these first weeks have been undoubtely... epic.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by TdogSkal

Well clearly you have not played a dungeon or WvWvW if that is what you are saying about them.

Nobody has yet to clear a dungeon without deaths.  So how are they easy again?  Oh right, you hav enot played the game.

Skill is very important in WvWvW, more proof you have not played it.  A group of skilled players can take down a zerg force without little effort, done it many many times this weekend.    A well placed siege piece and the battle is over.  Hell 2 guidlies and me took supply points all over the map last night.  

Equipment does not change till 30? 60? and 80?  Are you serious?   I have had 8 different style daggers so far and about 4 different head pieces and many other different looking equipment and I am level 66.  So try again.

Also some crafting professions can make money and equipment that is better then dropped Jewerly craft comes to mind as you can combine the gems that drop into better ones you cannot get other then from crafting.

So please do not review a game you have simply not played yet.   Its not right that you think its okay to lie because its the internet.

In story mode? I have so I would imagine many others have as well cleared it without a death in the group

...and I pug so would imagines guilds have it even easier

Explorable is a different beast however. Far as WvW I agree that there are elements with placing equipments and some minor tactics. It isn't all about the zerg but obviously in any game that has a setup like this there is going to be that element. not sure why it is so surprising or offputting to some.

Mostly agree with your WvW comment, the only thing I disagree with is that I wouldn't call siege equipment placement "minor" as it tends to be the deciding factor in the majority of battles I've been in.

But yeah, about the zerg thing...I mean isn't it obvious that a group of larger players is going to beat a smaller one unless there is some serious mitigating factor?  If you meet a huge zerg in the open field with like 10 guys, then you're going to die.  That simple.  Superior numbers is a HUGE advantage, and you really need some major factor at play to compensate for the numbers difference.

That said, I have seen two major things that can level the playing field...

1.  Terrain.  There are a lot of places on the map that are basically built to be choke points that you can AE the crap out of.  AN example of this are the bridges between the two invader sides in a borderland.  It is possible to beat a larger force here if they run into the bridge...it basically becomes a meat grinder of AE hell.

2.  Siege engines.  Really, I know this is said a lot, but a ballista up on top of a tower can literally decimate an attacking army.  In fact, I would think that ONE ballista up on top of the tower that can't be hit by non-siege could give a large zerg a big headache.

This is spot on, the only thing I am going to add is that people there is a lack fo coordination apart from "we need rams on the door" , "lets take longview back" sort of strategy, although I have seen some more complex strategies starting to develop now. For instance we were taking down dreaming bay yesterday and while we were getting absolutely battered on the main gate, a small force of us went and took down a wall as soon as it was down we swarmed inside the keep and took it.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

well the only negative for the game is the community here, with all this pessimistic mood.

the game is awesome, and at the moment its the only which relax me .

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by loulaki

well the only negative for the game is the community here, with all this pessimistic mood.

No one is forcing you to come to this site,are they? If you want a forum that only says nice things about gw2 and ignores the flaws in the game then go and find one.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Seeing the poll results and some of your comments, I think it's safe to say that GW2 have been a succes so far.

And I want to comment the developer's information during developement, not hyping the game beyond reality. I have the feeling they have been honest all along, and this deserves some gratitude in these days.

I haven't played the game, so I just comment based on player's opinions in this forum mostly.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Sylvarii

No one is forcing you to come to this site,are they? If you want a forum that only says nice things about gw2 and ignores the flaws in the game then go and find one.

It's the mood. It's not about denying the flaws of the game. Posts that express constructive criticism are rare around here. Also, threads that are not burning hot with flamebaiting almost never get momentum, unless one random guy pops up and starts forum PvP. I'm not only talking about the GW2 subforum.

But you're correct. No one is forcing anyone to stick around here. Initially I did because the site covers a wide array of games; also I like the color scheme.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Hah!

Anyone claiming to have done all the Storymodes without ANY deaths first time is a 'creative' poster to put it politely.

The Asura Golem Summoner in Sorrow's Embrace is a perfect case in point.

I don't believe a word of it.... internet blowhards....

• IntrospectreIntrospectre Member Posts: 40

I find myself enjoying parts of it, then disliking others parts enough that I have buyer's remorse about pre-ordering it.

Enjoy:

Exp from exploring/crafting/etc not just grinding

Level scaling (both up for pvp and down for low level zones)

Lots of classes and races to try Hearts instead of formal questing

Skills tied to weapon choice

Rift style world events

DAOC style keep pvp

Don't enjoy:

WvW FPS drop

Mindless zerging

Class imbalances

Defensive stats/skills don't make anyone capable of tanking anything (mas toughness doesnt live much longer than glass cannon)

Low/no replayability after you've explored the game

Reliance on 'Dodge' button to stay alive

No tank/healer/dps trinity

No small scale battlegrounds or dungeons to queue for while leveling

No end-game

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

And that's great, glad you (all of you GW2 players) are having a blast. Thing is though this is still very much the honeymoon period. Let's have this same chat in six months and see how it goes then.

so if a have a BLAST for six months then stop playing it wasn't worth it? i really don't understand this attitude.. i don't need to live in a game for years for it to be great.

Agreed.

What if I have fun for two months? A month? What if I 'only' get 40 hours out of it? Was it badly sent leisure time, a lesser experience, or a waste of money?

I don't think so.

I have NEVER (despite some folk's continued attempts to lump all GW2 players into one hive mind because it makes their heavy handed generalisations easier) claimed this game will last me 10 years or whatever. I am simply enjoying it for the sublime entertaining fun experience it is right now, for as long as that lasts. When that finishes I can easily see me leaving it installed and going back regularly whenever new content is dropped in. I have already got far more out of this title then comparable (price wise) games like ME or whatever.

As of now though I have a L40 and a L50, both on around 30% world completion, and I really want to see how they grow and how their personal stories develop. I am still engaged and having fun, and I don't see that changing in the near future. That is not to say that in 6 months time I may be playing another game as my main. I am actually very interested in trying out FFXIV at it's relaunch even. That dosen't diminish GW2 in any way whatsoever.

Originally posted by Metentso
    Please chose...

What I will say about the results so far, that show under 20% have failed to at *least* have their expectations met, is that, judging by the extremely hostile and critical negative tone of this forum a lot of the time towards the title, that 20% must be posting hard and often...

It's always interesting how a minority, who we even assume are actually playing the game and not just grinding an axe trolling or whatever else, can skew the surface reality of what's really happening on a forum.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer
    The game is like, 2 weeks old.

Enough for first impression.

Myself have responded that is better then expected, but is also true I did not have high hopes. Gw was just bad. So I must admit, purchased yesterday in installed, even if I already have currently sub to swtor and wow. I can at least comment from first hand. :-)

Overall ... is much better then expected. But for sure will not gona kill anything or anyone. Also lost a lot of nerves trying to register, constantly have been getting page errors, ... I nearly panicked, have been receiving message account does not exist, but when wanted to create new I have been receiving messages my game code have been already used. At the end after aprox 1 hour I have been able to play. Have been problem with registration server.  And again, positive expect in negative, I have received communication via email in I guess 15 mins.

More I will be able to comment in few days. 

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Lyvean
    What I hate about MMOs, and GW 2 is guilty as well, is that they do not let me customize my character how I want it. I can't make him ugly, I can't make him fat, I can't make him scarred, I can't make him different. Instead, I have the developer deciding how I must look, with little variety, which is... shitty.Also, GW 2 has very little armor and clothes variety, which is sad.I also can't understand why I can't find a hood. I'm a ranger and I want to wear to hood. I'm flucking cliched like that. Why on earth is it so difficult to find one? Are hoods treasured possessions in Tyria, gaurded by Kralkatorrik himself? Tell me how I can find a hood and I will play this game forever! As for the dehype, give it time, it's still early yet. But these first weeks have been undoubtely... epic.
    I think those days are over for being able to customze your character, the last game with that was City of Heroes and it's closing in November.

Basically the same goes in FPS games, modding is gone (unless Valve releases Half-Life 3 with moding). I used to spend lots of time in modded BF1942 and CoD matches, can't do that anymore in newer games.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Please chose...

What I will say about the results so far, that show under 20% have failed to at *least* have their expectations met, is that, judging by the extremely hostile and critical negative tone of this forum a lot of the time towards the title, that 20% must be posting hard and often...

It's always interesting how a minority, who we even assume are actually playing the game and not just grinding an axe trolling or whatever else, can skew the surface reality of what's really happening on a forum.

So let me guess..you post on a public forum open to haters and fanboys alike. OP asks for people to vote about their expectations which both sides did and you are unhappy about the 20% who think that GW2 is below their expectations? what were you expecting really? 

As far how many of those 20% are actually playing the game, are you certain that all those who voted 'better than expected' are also actually playing the game? and are not here just to skew the poll results? 

You seem upset with your passive aggressive tone.

Considering the "hostile" tone of this forum, he expected the poll result to favor the negative results. Even when skewed from both ends.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Please chose...

So let me guess..you post on a public forum open to haters and fanboys alike. OP asks for people to vote about their expectations which both sides did and you are unhappy about the 20% who think that GW2 is below their expectations? what were you expecting really? 

As far how many of those 20% are actually playing the game, are you certain that all those who voted 'better than expected' are also actually playing the game? and are not here just to skew the poll results? 

Considering the "hostile" tone of this forum, he expected the poll result to favor the negative results. Even when skewed from both ends.

I think you missed the main point i was trying to make. OP asked for the opinions, people gave their opinion. Calling them out for it is un necessary especially coming from a poster who never forgets to tell others that 'discuss games not the gamers'.

And given the hype ratings and now released rating of GW2 on this site i don't know how one can imagine that these polls would be any different.

Bite Me

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Originally posted by Sylvarii

It's the mood. It's not about denying the flaws of the game. Posts that express constructive criticism are rare around here. Also, threads that are not burning hot with flamebaiting almost never get momentum, unless one random guy pops up and starts forum PvP. I'm not only talking about the GW2 subforum.

But you're correct. No one is forcing anyone to stick around here. Initially I did because the site covers a wide array of games; also I like the color scheme.

Whether or not something is constructive criticism, strongly depends on the intention of the critic. How are you able to know for sure what the intention is and thus seperate constructive criticism from other forms of criticism?

Please chose...

What if people had low expecations and those expactations were met, that says more about how cynical a person is rather than how good the game is.

• LyveanLyvean Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by sookster54

Originally posted by Lyvean
    What I hate about MMOs, and GW 2 is guilty as well, is that they do not let me customize my character how I want it. 

I can't make him ugly, I can't make him fat, I can't make him scarred, I can't make him different. Instead, I have the developer deciding how I must look, with little variety, which is... shitty.

Also, GW 2 has very little armor and clothes variety, which is sad.

I also can't understand why I can't find a hood. I'm a ranger and I want to wear to hood. I'm flucking cliched like that. Why on earth is it so difficult to find one? Are hoods treasured possessions in Tyria, gaurded by Kralkatorrik himself? 

Tell me how I can find a hood and I will play this game forever! 

As for the dehype, give it time, it's still early yet. But these first weeks have been undoubtely... epic.

I think those days are over for being able to customze your character, the last game with that was City of Heroes and it's closing in November.

Basically the same goes in FPS games, modding is gone (unless Valve releases Half-Life 3 with moding). I used to spend lots of time in modded BF1942 and CoD matches, can't do that anymore in newer games.

Alright, I don't want full freedom. But not even allow us to be ugly? Or scarred? Or putting on a hood?

Shitty design choices that allow for copy cat characters. That's backwards thinking that I can't tolerate. 

Fortunately the rest of the game is pretty awesome.

Please chose...

[mod edit]

There is nothing passive aggressive about what I am saying, I am making clear observations that the overriding tone of the GW2 forum seems to be full of dissapointment and hostile criticism, and yet this poll does not reflect that at all. I am saying that it is out of kilter with the general bulk of threads we see started.

Why would some not playing the game want to hype it by giving it a better showing in a poll like this though, in your opinion? I mean, I umderstand why people NOT playing it would answer negatively (to 'defend' their game, grind axes, pure spite etc) but I am not sure why a random guy would come here and say they were at least satisfied with the game.

[mod edit]

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Please chose...

What if people had low expecations and those expactations were met, that says more about how cynical a person is rather than how good the game is.

Sure, that's one way of seeing it and explaining the imbalance.

Another would be that the negative threads are created, bumped, and dominated by a vocal minority that include a number of agendas alongside those that simply don't like the game (which is valid).

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

[mod edit]

Actually, if you consider the signal/noise ratio of this forum lately, having like 81% of the voters happy with the game is an impressive score. People can argue all they want against that, it's a hard fact.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    It's also a possibility that these are the first people to be hitting the wall. It's only been 2 weeks. This poll might change drastically if it is taken two - four weeks from now. When more people have started to consume all the content we will have more accurate reading on the situation.
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Please chose...

Sure, that's one way of seeing it and explaining the imbalance.

Another would be that the negative threads are created, bumped, and dominated by a vocal minority that include a number of agendas alongside those that simply don't like the game (which is valid).

The beauty of the situation is that we don't have to choose to believe in either until conclusive actual proof shows one or the other being correct. I would say just keeping an open mind for different possibilities would be enough. 

• J_HurryJ_Hurry Member UncommonPosts: 230

This message was edited on 8/16/15 at 5:30:00 AM

LGM Alchemist (Legendary Grandmaster)