Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The largest closed-gate that is keeping people from playing XIV...

FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Other than a horrible launch, and lackluster gameplay. The largest Issue I see offhand is that FF XIV has no DIGITAL sales of the game. You physically have to own the box.

This is something that would be fine back in 2005, but this is 2012 (almost 2013), and SquareEnix are still behind the times when it comes to digital sales of their MMOs.

Do a search, and you'll only find gold seller sites, or Amazon.com selling the boxes. I can't find a SINGLE place to purchase a digital copy. So far, this is the only MMO I've come across that requires the box, and provides zero alternative ways to aquire the game.

I almost feel, that at times, SquareEnix is trying to act like FF XIV never happened.

Even "A Realm Reborn" preorder is box only, and Amazon.com is selling that for only $30 hehe!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Comments

• CarilliCarilli Member UncommonPosts: 41
    nevermind just saw u meant 2.0
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

First of all, you're wrong.

Taken directly from SE themself, on this page - look on the right-hand side.

• Platform: Digital Download, Microsoft Windows® PC, PlayStation®3
    • Genre: MMORPG
    • Developer: Square Enix Co., Ltd.
    • Release Date: TBD

Regardless, I'm curious. Why do you feel physical purchase only would be that big a "closed gate"?

Of all the reasons I've heard for someone to not buy a game, "zomg no digital download" has not been one of them.

Typically, if they need to buy a box, they'll buy a box. Digital Download is just a convenience saving them a trip to the store, or having to wait a few days for the box to come in the mail.

Heck, someone in my LS just recently mentioned he and his girlfriend buying the boxed version from eBay or Amazon.

I think you're grossly overstating the issue. It might be a "closed gate" for you. I've seen no evidence to indicate that it's a deal-breaker for others.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    I never EVER thought the day would come where gamers would whine about having to buy a physical copy of something they supposedly WANT to play... just wow

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Undoubtedly, the largest inhibitor is simply the first release's bad reputation.  A rerelease is amost futile in that only the most dedicated fans will even give the game a shot.  The game could miraculously turn out to be incredible, but millions of players who would potentially enjoy it won't ever bother to try it.  

But I see your point.  There's no reason not to make your game as accessible as possible to as many players as possible; and digital downloads achieve that.  Unfortunately, SE is not exactly known for designing intuitive, logical technical components for their services.  FFXI account/handle/POL/character (aka "options") registration, anyone?

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Other than a horrible launch, and lackluster gameplay. The largest Issue I see offhand is that FF XIV has no DIGITAL sales of the game. You physically have to own the box.

This is something that would be fine back in 2005, but this is 2012 (almost 2013), and SquareEnix are still behind the times when it comes to digital sales of their MMOs.

Do a search, and you'll only find gold seller sites, or Amazon.com selling the boxes. I can't find a SINGLE place to purchase a digital copy. So far, this is the only MMO I've come across that requires the box, and provides zero alternative ways to aquire the game.

I almost feel, that at times, SquareEnix is trying to act like FF XIV never happened.

Even "A Realm Reborn" preorder is box only, and Amazon.com is selling that for only $30 hehe!

Nope the reason I wont play is that it usses a scrolling UI display more attuned to controllers then keyboard and mouse.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

OP dead right on this!!!

I actually live in Israel - and here you cannot buy almost any MMO - either get digital download of it, or buy from a greedy salesman who takes commission - almost nobody here actually buy the box - WHY SHOULD WE???

To give an example from personal experience - i actually talked via email with them regarding this game (way before 2.0 was out) , because i wanted to try the game and wanted to know how the digital download procedure happens as back then there was nothing on thier website -

I was told that there is no trial period (nor do they plan on adding one later - ????), AND that i would have to actually buy the game as a box.....

Naturely i never looked back - sorry..

All MMOs should keep with the times - no trial and no digital download - meens i won't even try this game - their loss - plenty other MMOs out there...

Just my 2 cents...

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900
    Funny. The digital copies were available until a couple of weeks ago. They stopped because 1.0 is shutting down in a couple of months and they're prepping for 2.0 launch. It's interesting that someone complains about never having digital downloads right after they take it down.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

No, can't saying having to buy a copy would be a main reason holding me back, in fact I bought my last couple of MMO's (SWTOR and TSW) from Best Buy post launch. Same will probably go for GW2 when/if I decide to buy it.

Digital download is a nice option, but by no means necessary.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by Shaike
    ...[cut]...

To give an example from personal experience - i actually talked via email with them regarding this game (way before 2.0 was out) , because i wanted to try the game and wanted to know how the digital download procedure happens as back then there was nothing on thier website -

I was told that there is no trial period (nor do they plan on adding one later - ????), AND that i would have to actually buy the game as a box.....

...[cut]...

Then you are obviously lying as they will offer digital download when FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn is released, as well as it formerly was offer as digital download.

Btw to this date 2.0 is not even released yet.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

Originally posted by Shaike

OP dead right on this!!!

Nope. OP is dead wrong on this. As has already been pointed out, FFXIV ARR will have a digital download, per SE themself.

Further SE was offering a Digital Download of 1.x for a while at least. They've halted it as they're going to be winding 1.x down to make way for 2.0/ARR.

1) 2.0 isn't out yet.

2) When you spoke to SE, the "no digital download" and the "no trial" may have been true. Things can change, though, you know. In this case, they did.

3) If/when you asked about the digital download/free trial, the only answer the person could have given you was the answer that was correct at that time.  Even if a trial or digital download were being discussed and about to be given the green light, they still could not say "Yes" until it was actually made official.

Because something isn't the case "right now" doesn't mean it never will be. Something to keep in mind for the future.

All MMOs should keep with the times - no trial and no digital download - meens i won't even try this game - their loss - plenty other MMOs out there...

Did you even try to look up this information for yourself, or are you just going off hearsay, like the OP's? It's been noted by SE for over a year now that there would be a free trial, and it states right on their website that there will be a digital download.

Check this PDF here and read the last entry all the way to the right. It specifically mentions a free trial. That document has been available - and has been cited - for over a year now.

Click this link to see info specifically about the digital purchase/download for 2.0. Look on the right side of the page beneat the PS3 case art.

At least make the effort to look into these things before jumping to conclusions, eh?

TL:DR:

No, the OP doesn't know what they're talking about.

No, Shaike doesn't know what they're talking about, either.

Yes, there will be a digital download for 2.0/ARR

Yes, there will be a free trial for 2.0/ARR

Yes, the people creating these absurd misinformation threads/posts need to give it up and find better use of their time.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I bought a digital copy off of amazon for like $7 a while back. I feel ripped off, despite the price :)

Joined - July 2004

• imlazyxdimlazyxd Member UncommonPosts: 81
    I really hate how I have to add my Credit Card to just play the 30 days that comes with the game...
  • VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Lalafell.

Let me think about that for a moment longer.

Nope.  That's it.

Lalafell.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    still think the biggest 'closed gate' keeping people from playing is the interface, i did try the game months ago, and about all i came away from it with, was how long it took to do anything, if the game is going to be released for the ps3 though, that would probably explain why the interface is so dodgy, i'd rather stick to a game with a player friendly interface that is actually designed for the PC.. it just isnt worth the hassleimage
    Originally posted by Phry
    still think the biggest 'closed gate' keeping people from playing is the interface, i did try the game months ago, and about all i came away from it with, was how long it took to do anything, if the game is going to be released for the ps3 though, that would probably explain why the interface is so dodgy, i'd rather stick to a game with a player friendly interface that is actually designed for the PC.. it just isnt worth the hassleimage

A brand-new new interface is one of the things that's been overhauled for 2.0.

In fact, there will be at least 2 new interfaces, one for PS3 and one for PC. I've seen mention of a 2nd option for PS3, making it 3 new interface options in all, but haven't seen the quote myself from SE/Yoshi-P.

Here's a page discussing it with screenshots.

Also, there's a video on YouTube here where you see Yoshi-P demonstrating it. It's closed-captioned so you can actually following what they're saying. Very cool video overall, I think.

You can click this link to get straight to the in-game/demo part...

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

In fact, there will be at least 2 new interfaces, one for PS3 and one for PC. I've seen mention of a 2nd option for PS3, making it 3 new interface options in all, but haven't seen the quote myself from SE/Yoshi-P.

Also, there's a video on YouTube here where you see Yoshi-P demonstrating it. It's closed-captioned so you can actually following what they're saying. Very cool video overall, I think.

Wow, that was an excellent video, thanks for the link :). I've been looking forward to ARR for a while, and even more so now, after seeing that.

One thing I'm still curious about though, is how the PC interface will workout with a gamepad. I've heard that the PS3 version(s) will be made to work well with a gamepad, and as someone who will be playing it on a PC but still prefers to use a gamepad when possible, I'm wondering how it will play out. I'd think the best option would be to allow the PC users to switch to the PS3 interface.

In any case, can't wait for the re-release.

Originally posted by alacres

Wow, that was an excellent video, thanks for the link :). I've been looking forward to ARR for a while, and even more so now, after seeing that.

One thing I'm still curious about though, is how the PC interface will workout with a gamepad. I've heard that the PS3 version(s) will be made to work well with a gamepad, and as someone who will be playing it on a PC but still prefers to use a gamepad when possible, I'm wondering how it will play out. I'd think the best option would be to allow the PC users to switch to the PS3 interface.

That I'm not sure of.  I know they've mentioned supporting gamepad on the PC as well. Don't recall the specifics, though.

Maybe emulating one of the PS3's setups, and/or letting the player configure it themself...

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by alacres

That I'm not sure of.  I know they've mentioned supporting gamepad on the PC as well. Don't recall the specifics, though.

Maybe emulating one of the PS3's setups, and/or letting the player configure it themself...

They make a program which lets you use your PS3 controler on PC. The PS3 controler is already wireless but your PC will need to be wireless as well(maybe it works plugged in as well- IDK)

Its here http://www.ehow.com/how_4809736_use-ps-controller-computer.html

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

It was a bad game...

Didnt matter if you had to buy it as a physical copy...i mean you could order the physical copy on the internet, and depending on your connection/physical location... might recieve it deliverd faster than downloading it.

Anyway...my main interest in this is that im hoping the shame on this company for releasing a subpar product will drive them to make something great.  Its a longshot but its far better than what most developers do.

Most developers make a crappy game, lie and overhype it for box sales....or lie and make patches that cover surface problems, leaving the underlying mechanics that cause the issues...or they hire derek smart.  All these scenatios leave a bad taste in the mouth and leave the game in the same crappy condition it started in.

Hopefully a remake and the shame behind what SE might feel in making this game subpar will lead to a great game...theres drive to make it good ect.

Again still feel this is a longshot...but i am more willing to give a company a second chance (not that i gave them a first chance here though) because they saw they f-ed up and actually are doing something to fix it.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I suspect many people don't play for the same reasons as me.  Its Final Fantasy so there is interest on my part.  Several people I know play the game, they all say it sucks.  Get on the web, read reviews, read opinions in forums, they basically state the same things I have heard from others.  More people I know try it, more people say it sucks.  More reviews come out, they say the same terrible things.  The circular pattern continues, a few months to a year passes and a few people say hey they made some changes game is better.  People log on and say it still sucks.  Re-reviews still aren't high and a few people I know got suckered into buying it with the its better hype.  They, being new players tell me, yep you got it, it sucks.
  • MijinMijin Member Posts: 3

Final Fantasy XIV is available for digital download via several websites, and following the relaunch of the game sometime in early 2013 the digital download version will be made available through the official website as well. 

In regards to the negitive reviews, it's true that the game in it's current state leaves a lot to be desisired, but you may or may not be aware that SE has invested a large budget into remaking the game, and it's nearing completion. The new version should be available in the first quarter of 2013.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    I would say for me if there is no free trial i probably would not pay upfront to try s reinagined failed game. Not sure if they are going to have one and beta trials are not the same.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Officially, it's not even supposed to be for sale any more in anticipation of the new Real Reborn boxes. I'd imagine they would also allow digital sales as well.
  • SylviiSylvii Member Posts: 13
    Hard for me to put it any better than what you summed up.  Still salty got suckered into $80.05 collector edition 9/22/10 after having fun beta testing.  deserving of the dismal 5.1 score anything under 7 in not worth your time.
  • MijinMijin Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Ausare
    I would say for me if there is no free trial i probably would not pay upfront to try s reinagined failed game. Not sure if they are going to have one and beta trials are not the same.

When 2.0 comes out the game will be free to play for the first few month in order to attract new players :)