Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift is quietly becoming the best themepark on the market

Comments

• LorkiiLorkii Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Murtak

Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by kostoslav
    Worst WoW clone ever created. If there was ever a game created only for money it is rift. It is, as I wrote many tomes here, soulless and plastic. Awful, unmaginative, badly written lore, terrible, boring quests. Unimaginative races and ugly character creator. I can always find at least one good thing in any game but not in Rift. U can feel more developer love in EA sports games.

lol nice

Pretty true, though.

At least they seem to be a decent company, so...

Not even close to true. Best game on the market, by a long shot.

• FurrballsFurrballs Member Posts: 30

Sadly i cant even resub to Rift if I wanted to, After some time away i forgot my password, now you have to answer two secret questions which I cant remember at all, apparently you need to call customer service to resolve this, which just annoys me enough to not do it..

i wonder how many resubs Trion will lose when storm legion drops and half there returning customers forget their passwords and secret questions and cant get in to resub..

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Lorkii
    Originally posted by Murtak

Originally posted by kostoslav
    Worst WoW clone ever created. If there was ever a game created only for money it is rift. It is, as I wrote many tomes here, soulless and plastic. Awful, unmaginative, badly written lore, terrible, boring quests. Unimaginative races and ugly character creator. I can always find at least one good thing in any game but not in Rift. U can feel more developer love in EA sports games.

lol nice

Pretty true, though.

At least they seem to be a decent company, so...

Not even close to true. Best game on the market, by a long shot.

I have to agree (but that's just my opinion)

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Rift doesnt do anything quietly, Trion is perhaps the loudest dev company around.  

Rift technically is a good game.  If you enjoy carrot on a stick game play, Rift is your game.

If you are more into the RPG aspect, then Rift still lags behind games like EQ2 and even WoW.  Im not sure dimensions will be enough to right this (they need a racial overhaul for one).  The large, static walls of text where most of the games inhabitants are generic are not an interesting way to tell a story.  And the whole Guardians and Defiant hate each other -> they can become mercenaries -> they can group together in arbitray other factions -> they are cool with each other now is just silly.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    My problem with the game was the single path of progression.  Lack of multiple areas in the same level range, so that you could not only quest in different areas  within the same level range, but you could take a different path on an alternate character.

• DreskestDreskest Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Nadia

Finally, a dev that gets it. First expansion out the gate adds player housing and triples the land mass. Trion is making all the right decisions with this game and I gotta give them props.

the world expansion is exclusively for levels 50+

when RIFT launched, I felt the PVE content was lacking/redundant for leveling more than 1 character

the game needs more than 2 starting areas

I think people who like to create 10+ characters in every game could really appreciate more than 2 starting areas, but others like me, can do just fine with 1 or 2. Been subbed to Rift since headstart, and to this day, I only have 2 characters (1 guardian, 1 defiant) so I don't really find the pve content lacking in any way.

But as I said, different people, different gameplay styles. No game can please everybody.

Originally posted by teakbois
    Rift doesnt do anything quietly, Trion is perhaps the loudest dev company around.  Rift technically is a good game.  If you enjoy carrot on a stick game play, Rift is your game.If you are more into the RPG aspect, then Rift still lags behind games like EQ2 and even WoW.  Im not sure dimensions will be enough to right this (they need a racial overhaul for one).  The large, static walls of text where most of the games inhabitants are generic are not an interesting way to tell a story.  And the whole Guardians and Defiant hate each other -> they can become mercenaries -> they can group together in arbitray other factions -> they are cool with each other now is just silly.

It would be a lot easier to respect your opinion if it weren't for the fact that not one single positive thread in the Rift forum can ever go unpunished by you. Any poster who comes into Rift and praises the game is "corrected" and shot down by you. But what's worse is that you are the 1st one to get all up in anyone's grill when they criticize GW2. So, according to you, no one is allowed to be critical of GW2 in the GW2 forum, and at the same time, no one is allowed to come here and post favorably towards Rift without your "correction". How do you figure you get to do it both ways?

I can understand you don't like the racials, you aren't impressed with Dimensions you don't like quest hubs and you can't recognize the truce between factions. Don't get me wrong, I can see why you say what you do, and I have many gripes about the game myself, But it's hard to receive it when you state in such a way that Trion has already failed. and you know what's best for them. I think they are doing a good enough job thank you. In fact these changes will open up tremendous opportunities to make the community even bigger. All that aside, the very things you are criticizing Rift for are now under heavy fire in GW2. Namely PVP and questing.

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    My problem with the game was the single path of progression.  Lack of multiple areas in the same level range, so that you could not only quest in different areas  within the same level range, but you could take a different path on an alternate character.

This is really no longer the case. Rift has developed several new leveling paths. You can go the traditional route and migrate from quest hub to quest hub. And Yes, the world is small with this regard, there are also options to level in PVP Warfronts. And Rift has also implemented Instant adventures. Where you get assigned to a public raid group and sent to a zone and are given random quests that you don't have to click on for anything. They are auto generated and they are auto completed as the group completes them. They go very fast. While this is still a work in progress, It's is not fully complete yet, There are a few gaps in the levels but you can use the mentor system to manually down level yourself when you want to or if you want to level with friends. You will level quickly, however if you do this from 1-50, it can get mind numbing, but it is great to break up the tasks and do a little zone quests, PVP leveling and IAs all in the mix.

It will be very interesting to see after the dust settles some time into next year where people are between the MMOs. Of course my money is still on WoW for that, But I think Rift will be in a much better position than it's being given credit for at present. And GW2 servers will be surprisingly lighter than currently expected.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Rift doesnt do anything quietly, Trion is perhaps the loudest dev company around.  

Rift technically is a good game.  If you enjoy carrot on a stick game play, Rift is your game.

If you are more into the RPG aspect, then Rift still lags behind games like EQ2 and even WoW.  Im not sure dimensions will be enough to right this (they need a racial overhaul for one).  The large, static walls of text where most of the games inhabitants are generic are not an interesting way to tell a story.  And the whole Guardians and Defiant hate each other -> they can become mercenaries -> they can group together in arbitray other factions -> they are cool with each other now is just silly.

It would be a lot easier to respect your opinion if it weren't for the fact that not one single positive thread in the Rift forum can ever go unpunished by you. Any poster who comes into Rift and praises the game is "corrected" and shot down by you. But what's worse is that you are the 1st one to get all up in anyone's grill when they criticize GW2. So, according to you, no one is allowed to be critical of GW2 in the GW2 forum, and at the same time, no one is allowed to come here and post favorably towards Rift without your "correction". How do you figure you get to do it both ways?

I can understand you don't like the racials, you aren't impressed with Dimensions you don't like quest hubs and you can't recognize the truce between factions. Don't get me wrong, I can see why you say what you do, and I have many gripes about the game myself, But it's hard to receive it when you state in such a way that Trion has already failed. and you know what's best for them. I think they are doing a good enough job thank you. In fact these changes will open up tremendous opportunities to make the community even bigger. All that aside, the very things you are criticizing Rift for are now under heavy fire in GW2. Namely PVP and questing.

WHy woulld I care if you respect my opinion?  In this post you have lied (I dont punish positive posts, and probably post in less than 10% of the ones that dont involve hyperbole).  I don't get up in people's grills when they criticize GW2.  Again, ill call out the hyperbole.  Ive actually stated NUMEROUS times GW2 isnt going to be for everyone. There is a difference between responding to a post claiming 'GW2's launch was a failure' and being one of the people that doesnt understand how someone is bored with GW2 and thinks it must be because they played too many hours or are 'playing it wrong'.  Its obvious you are seeing what you want to see, but fact check before trying to do a call out thread.  

But going on...I have never said I wasn't impressed by dimensions, in fact I have praised their concept before.  I don't like quest hubs?  Why are you making this shit up?  I have no issues with quest hubs at all.  

I suggest you stop making stuff, and put me on ignore.

Originally posted by Vorthanion

This is really no longer the case. Rift has developed several new leveling paths. You can go the traditional route and migrate from quest hub to quest hub. And Yes, the world is small with this regard, there are also options to level in PVP Warfronts. And Rift has also implemented Instant adventures. Where you get assigned to a public raid group and sent to a zone and are given random quests that you don't have to click on for anything. They are auto generated and they are auto completed as the group completes them. They go very fast. While this is still a work in progress, It's is not fully complete yet, There are a few gaps in the levels but you can use the mentor system to manually down level yourself when you want to or if you want to level with friends. You will level quickly, however if you do this from 1-50, it can get mind numbing, but it is great to break up the tasks and do a little zone quests, PVP leveling and IAs all in the mix.

The Instant Adventures dont really address the issue though.  People want a change of scenery.  IAs dont do that, you are still in the same zones.  And IAs are the only addition to the 1-49 game content wise, everything else is for 50+.  People (in general) dont want new things to do in the same zones, they want different zones.

You said 'several' new leveling paths.  And IAs are the only addition and even as you admitted they are a good break in between (I agree with this fully) but its not a new path, just more options in the same patch.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer   Originally posted by Vorthanion My problem with the game was the single path of progression.  Lack of multiple areas in the same level range, so that you could not only quest in different areas  within the same level range, but you could take a different path on an alternate character.
    The Instant Adventures dont really address the issue though.  People want a change of scenery.  IAs dont do that, you are still in the same zones.  And IAs are the only addition to the 1-49 game content wise, everything else is for 50+.  People (in general) dont want new things to do in the same zones, they want different zones.

You said 'several' new leveling paths.  And IAs are the only addition and even as you admitted they are a good break in between (I agree with this fully) but its not a new path, just more options in the same patch.

You are right, I can't really argue, It's not several "new" paths. I really meant several in total.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
     People (in general) dont want new things to do in the same zones, they want different zones.

Generally speaking, I'm not (in general) - so to speak.  Nothing quite screams that a game is a linear game and likely a rush to some repetitive endgame than rushing from new zone to new zone while forgetting all about the zones behind you.  Nothing quite says that nothing you do matters, like not seeing that anything you do matters.

No doubt there are a substantial group of players out there that just want new zones - they'll consume it like Coneheads on meth - then complain they need MOAR!

Personally, as one of those not (in general) folks - I'd rather have additional higher level content take me back to previous zones so that I can see an actual change...have a feeling that something mattered.

But yeah, I can totally see your point (in general)....

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Originally posted by VirusDancer
     People (in general) dont want new things to do in the same zones, they want different zones.

Generally speaking, I'm not (in general) - so to speak.  Nothing quite screams that a game is a linear game and likely a rush to some repetitive endgame than rushing from new zone to new zone while forgetting all about the zones behind you.  Nothing quite says that nothing you do matters, like not seeing that anything you do matters.

No doubt there are a substantial group of players out there that just want new zones - they'll consume it like Coneheads on meth - then complain they need MOAR!

Personally, as one of those not (in general) folks - I'd rather have additional higher level content take me back to previous zones so that I can see an actual change...have a feeling that something mattered.

But yeah, I can totally see your point (in general)....

I think most people would be cool with this too, I certainly would.  But this whole train of thought is about levelling up, not max level.

It would be cool if Rift had mega-invasions, scaled down to whichever zone but would absolutely require a large amount of people not currently in the zone to converge on the zone.  In other words, just the zone's inhabitants wouldnt be enough.

But no game currently on the market has this sort of mechanic.  EQ2, GW2 and Rift have their mentoring systems, but its not remotely the same thing si what you are asking.  EQ1 probably came the closest with high level mobs in lower level zones you could go extract revenge on, and epic quests that frequently took you back to old zones.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

I actually think what some games out there is worse - where you can just replay the same content at a different level.  That's just a grind.  I mean, literally, there are no if's, and's, or but's about that - it's a grind.  You can do the same quest/mission at level 10, 20, 30, 40, etc, etc, etc.

But no, there's not a game that I can think of that actually has hybrid zones - in the sense that I'm thinking.  Sure, some might have you go back to a mega central hub to pick up missions/quests to head out to some far off zone...but that's not even close.

The linear aspect of leveling is going to mean different things to different players, mind you.  Those focused on the end, do not really care and may even prefer being able to zip through the same content in a mindless blur...tada, done - yay!  The journey folks...heh...well, they're screwed.  Meh.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Ironically, the one game that is closest (in tech, not implementation) to what you are asking for is WoW.  Because WoW is the only game that when you level through a zone that the zone changes based on your actions.  Theoretically they could use this phasing to do what you are asking.

Of course there is the issue that YOU can see what you have done, but no one else can.  So its far from a perfect solution, but they are the closest if they choose to ever take that route

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by ShimpoGenmu
    Originally posted by Krytycal
    Not to mention their next project, Defiance, is looking good too.

with firefall and planetside 2 coming this game has no chance.

but i admit for a newbie company they did good with rift and are probably the fastest company out there making content

if they keep up like this their next mmorpg will be bomb

The first line in this makes me laugh. You do realize Rift has made it through Star Wars, TERA, TWS, and GW2 (MoP around the corner). What happened to Star Wars? Oh yeah, they made an awful game and it is going f2p already. TERA and TWS are dying very fast. GW2 is new and shiny, but already people are finding that there is a lack of things to do at 80. 

Don't sit here and say it has no chance when it has held a stable playerbase through the launch of 4 AAA games two of which were hyped enough to be the second coming. 

Originally posted by Waldoe

but i admit for a newbie company they did good with rift and are probably the fastest company out there making content

The first line in this makes me laugh. You do realize Rift has made it through Star Wars, TERA, TWS, and GW2 (MoP around the corner). What happened to Star Wars? Oh yeah, they made an awful game and it is going f2p already. TERA and TWS are dying very fast. GW2 is new and shiny, but already people are finding that there is a lack of things to do at 80. 

Don't sit here and say it has no chance when it has held a stable playerbase through the launch of 4 AAA games two of which were hyped enough to be the second coming. 

And the best part of those launches was...

Level 50 chat goes quiet and we aren't subjected to people bashing Rift saying...."The end is near. Rift is dead on 8/28."

The only thing that dies was the bullshit in the chat channels. 

Also, I can't tell you how many new players I ran into in Rift back in Feb, March bitching up a storm about TOR

So I say...Rift needs more AAA launches to come around.  Keep em commin.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    I thought the leveling in Rift was fantastic.  The end-game wasn't really all that great and the PvP super-grind fest was the nail in the coffin.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • truthhurtstruthhurts Member Posts: 74

Two things wrong with this post:

1.  The person you quoted wasn't talking about Rift.  He was talking about 3 games in a different genre.  defiance, Firefall and PS2 are MMOFPS and the crossover between that genre and mmorpg is fairly minimal.

2.  Rift has not held a stable playerbase through 4 AAA games.  56 active NA servers down to 7 or 8.  That is not a sign of stability.  Rift might have a stable core of 100k or so players that have been there from day 1 and arent going anywhere, but the playerbase overall is certainly not stable.

• truthhurtstruthhurts Member Posts: 74

And the best part of those launches was...

Level 50 chat goes quiet 

(had to do this for LOLs.  FWIW, the current server population certainly wasnt decimated by GW2. Nor was it unaffected and its certainly not thriving, but 11/13 could change that)

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Rift doesnt do anything quietly, Trion is perhaps the loudest dev company around.  Rift technically is a good game.  If you enjoy carrot on a stick game play, Rift is your game.If you are more into the RPG aspect, then Rift still lags behind games like EQ2 and even WoW.  Im not sure dimensions will be enough to right this (they need a racial overhaul for one).  The large, static walls of text where most of the games inhabitants are generic are not an interesting way to tell a story.  And the whole Guardians and Defiant hate each other -> they can become mercenaries -> they can group together in arbitray other factions -> they are cool with each other now is just silly.

I don't partake in carrot on a stick game mechanics, and yet I enjoy Rift. Go figure. I've never felt like I was grinding in this game. I enjoyed getting to 50. I spent a weekend running dungeons and have more than sufficient gear to do everything I enjoy in this game. SO I log on and jump into some fun gameplay. And at the end of the week, I usually end up with one or two upgraded gear slots without ever feeling the carrot on the stick.

I play on an RP server and the RPG aspect is alive and kicking.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Trion is coming up with really nice stuff that will make Rift a better game, but i wouldnt go back unless they show some love to people who actually dont care about endgame like me. The major let down for me is to be forced to level every character through the same exact areas and quest hubs since level 1. Since end game is not my focus when playing mmos i prefer to go with many characters and explore the PvE world from each race's perspective and RIft is not offering that. The Lore gives every race a background which is expected but when you go in game they all start at the same place, play the same way, do the same things at the same places... they all take the exact same road from lvl 1 to cap which makes me bored after the first character. Its not bad for end game players who stick to one character, but for me its been a deal breaker since... forever

Originally posted by truthhurts

Two things wrong with this post:

1.  The person you quoted wasn't talking about Rift.  He was talking about 3 games in a different genre.  defiance, Firefall and PS2 are MMOFPS and the crossover between that genre and mmorpg is fairly minimal.

2.  Rift has not held a stable playerbase through 4 AAA games.  56 active NA servers down to 7 or 8.  That is not a sign of stability.  Rift might have a stable core of 100k or so players that have been there from day 1 and arent going anywhere, but the playerbase overall is certainly not stable.

When peopel throw numbers, I have to ask for a source or a link please. 

I would like to know what references you used that determiend that a stable playerbase cant reside on 7 or 8 servers. It proves that there are far fewer people playing than at it's peak but saying it's unstable? I need to see where that comes from.

But more importanly, where is the 100K from?

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166

Rift, like almost all other WoW clones, is dead in the water. It already had to merge servers. It's growing is done.

It cannot become the best themepark, as the best themeparks are in the past, EQ, DAoC...and modern day themeparks like GW2 have much MUCH more to offer. It does not stand on WoW for supports. A good game should stand on its own.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I play Rift and WoW both.  They're both games that are fun as long as YOU make them fun.  If you're looking to rush through the levels and grind gear.  Then don't cry about it not being fun...that will never be fun.  If you take your time, read the books (in Rift) of lore, and have fun running around with friends, they'll be fun.  Unlike other game genres, MMOs "fun or not" factor is heavily dependant on the player.  Devs basically make it fun as long as everything works and there's alot of polish on the game.  Rift and WoW both do this well.  It's upto the players to have a good time.  It's just like going to a party.  You can go and sit in a corner and pout, which is no fun.  You can go have a good time with friends and have the time of your life...it's upto you.
  • Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Rift was the last subscription based MMO I enjoyed.

Subscribed for 8 months total. I had a good time.

Since then  i've purchsed both SWTOR and TSW and hardly played both games for two weeks (combined) before uninstalling.

Much respect for Trion for making a better mmo than both Bioware and Funcom.

/Respect

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing