Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Missing Component

Comments

• balexander88balexander88 Member Posts: 1
    Mouseguard Online...you could probably work cats into that somehow.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

In all seriousness i do think there is a missing component.  I think GW2 did a much better job with this than many recent MMO's, but failed on other core MMORPG components.  That missing component, in my opinion, is World.

Having multiple factions, real factions, with their own sprawling cities, with their own leveling areas at least up into the middle levels before they start overlapping with other races, etc.

When MMO's came out the whole point of why it was so cool and awesome was because it was this vast world that you logged into, and when you logged off things kept going and people kept doing stuff.  That big dragon wandering around when you logged off last night might not be there when you logged back in, etc.

Now since the focus has become "appease the single player casual crowd" these games have become glorified online single player games.  And multiple starting cities and areas just means "wasted" content in a developers eyes.  Because god forbid that someone has to create multiple characters to see different areas, etc.  Or god forbid they actually have to *gasp* explore.  No instead its this ultra linear quest hub to quest hub to next level area's quest hub to quest hub, etc. 

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I for one have to completely agree with Pokket on this one, MMORPG's need more cats, no doubt that would keep people subbed for years...... 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Three words:

Slow
    News
    Day
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    I avoid houses with cats.  The thought of a cat walking through a nasty litterbox and then subsequently walking on tables and counters with those nasty feet......

Don't ever read about parasites.  You'll never go outside again.  And even that won't help. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

This article raised so many strong points about having cats in MMOs. I've long felt that the only true wow-killer would be the day someone buys the rights to Stephen King's Sleepwalkers and develop a MMO out of it. It needs to stand for the fact that if cats cared enough, they would take over the world with no need for evil sith machinery at all (although that would make them immortal death kitties). They are like the dark side and the light side of chuck norris in a pet.

I can only think of Sleepwalkers as being the one film to truly inform viewers of the danger inherit in every cat if they were to rise up against us. For a more recent example, just look at Anne Hathaway's attempt to 'act' half cat. She wtfpwned in Dark Knight Rises. She was kicking and fighting her way anywhere she wanted to be when batman and every other human were powerless for most of the movie. It was purely because she was half cat! Just imagine what she could do if she was 100% cat! But only Sleepwalkers showed true evidence from real cats as they really are.

So come on developers. Make a Sleepwalkers MMO with cats the way they really are irl instead of this crap of the occasional powerless companion cat found in today's MMOs. It needs that creepy Enya theme song too.

Pokket's awesome. Carry on.

• ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188
    A funny article, thanks Pokket.  But I think a serious discussion on the topic of why so many games fall flat right out of the gates these days would be worthwhile as well.

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by morbitangel
    seriously? you call this a article? and to the funny guy mentioning hello kitty online i wouldnt even touch that with a stick.....

Funny how several others posted replies like this and didn't get banned from the site. Some people are too thin-skinned these days. The article title is misleading and the content is not relevant.

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272

Play Hello Kitty Online, Pokket, should be your game.

Useless article in any standarnd.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

The missing component is....(-reads article-)... still missing.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    What the heck did I just read?
  • VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

A brilliant analogy.

Cats...Caturday...Cat pix...etc, etc, etc = fun.

Games are missing fun.  They're missing cats.

It may not be cats specifically, but they're missing what Caturday offers.

Could this have made SWTOR all that much better?  Hrmmm... it leaves one to wonder - leaves one to wonder.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well miss Pockett FFXI already been there done it.

MITHRA class?There is a whole story and city for them in FFXI.The Mithra are trackers/Rangers/Hunters.they reside in the city of Windurst,another tribe reside in Kazham.They worship the Earth and the godess Altana and fight for good.

Also the Mithra is a LOT cuter than the Charr. Mithra class Cats are known for their dexterity and FFXI kept true to form as they have the most dexterity of any race.

The Mithra are actually a part of real LORE/Christianity/religeon.

Felpurr from the Wizardry series.

Also Arheage has it's own cat like race.. FERRE class

I think Pockett was close in what games are missing with the CAT theme.My opinion is the games are lacking the LOVE theme.This i feel is what set FFXI above so many other games.It has actually been a theme in most of their entire series of games,just google anything with Yunalesca from FFX and you will see.Every game now is more about MEAN/TOUGH/ANGRY and lets kill each other in pvp.

Yes in FFXI yo ucan even get married as you can in a few other games.

just look at that Charr,he depicts MEAN,this is the current trend in games,i am bigger,meaner ,faster let's go pvp and i'll prove it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    Originally posted by Wizardry

My opinion is the games are lacking the LOVE theme.

Ah, so you're looking for a game like Venus Rising...eh?

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• chaqueschaques Member Posts: 13
    EverQuest noticed this years ago.. ..and implemented the Vah Shir!

chaques
    wow/dnd/eq/eq2/rom

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by VirusDancer

A brilliant analogy.

Cats...Caturday...Cat pix...etc, etc, etc = fun.

Games are missing fun.  They're missing cats.

It may not be cats specifically, but they're missing what Caturday offers.

Could this have made SWTOR all that much better?  Hrmmm... it leaves one to wonder - leaves one to wonder.

This made me laugh. Much more enjoyable then the rude people posting.

• TolrocTolroc Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by balexander88
    Mouseguard Online...you could probably work cats into that somehow.

Sure you could have a three faction system. Mice, cats and dogs. 

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    I'd play a Josie and the Pussycats MMO.  :p

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• SircaSirca Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Listening to Stray Cats
  • KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

Sorry Pokket, the Cats being in a game like you said in GW2 being the furthest they have ever gone is quite false. The original Everquest, Had a Cat Race called the Vah'Shir which look a hell of alot better than the Charr, and they had their own city and zones as well as their own story. So been there done that, got the t-shirt.

• MadninMadnin Member Posts: 55

Pokket!

....otherwise known as "jaded". Been playing GW2 since launch, could it be better? Of course. Does it give me a lot of fun after a hard day of work? Absolutely. I find it amazing to find ppl who have end capped before the first week was done, and complain about how bored they are with the game......really???? You missed like 90% of the freakin game! See that a lot these days, and not just in games....

"It is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth -- and listen to the song of that syren, till she transforms us into beasts. ... Are we disposed to be of the number of those, who having eyes, see not, and having ears, hear not?" --Patrick Henry

• Scorp2778Scorp2778 Member Posts: 31
    Fuuny article. I have to say that I believe Everquest had the best implementation of the cat. Guild Wars 2 cats are nice but the Vah Shir are much better.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    This story has more evidence to support it than that that "Quest Hubs are Dead, Finally!" garbage does....
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Who better to poo... er, play in a "sandbox" than cats!

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DemenshaDemensha Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    They have cats in gw2 but I cant kill them like i can bunnies. Wish i could though because i need inncent furries for an achievement.

Was thinking the same. 

Those cats would help me in my " Indiscriminate slayer" acheivement.