Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Uptight Stuffed Shirts

13»

Comments

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Do you not understand this is a joke.... >.<
  • reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

Technically...

Calling any Asian person  "Chinaman" is the same as calling any African American the "N" word...

If the OP is an Asian then it MIGHT be ok.  Although I seriously doubt that he's an Asian to begin with.  Besides any self-respectful Asian person wouldn't call himself "Chinaman".

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by Rylandojones

For around 4 years my main character name in Guild Wars 1 was No Pants Chinaman. Today I was forced to change my Guild Wars 2 character name because No Pants Chinaman is "unacceptable".

Honestly, ArenaNet? Seriously in this game it's either have a RP name or you can go screw off. So far I'm really enjoying the gameplay. But, whether or not its true, I've heard of someone getting a lockout for saying "poop" in map chat. Seriously? I can't crack a mildly unorthodox joke in /m without being labeled as a "troll".

My Guild, The Paraplegic Swimteam has banded together for this sole reason. We're just a bunch of dudes who want to be able to communicate with other people in game without getting a spanking for expressing ourselves.

I hope there are people out there playing this game who feel the same way I do. That anet has gone a little overboard with these lockouts and bans.

Paraplegic Swimteam is offensive to me. I have a Paraplegic Cousin who is handicapped. If i ever saw you say that in front of me I would have the urge to knock your block off :)

Anet is not to blame, You are, Chinaman is a term used to define a person of chinese descent. Depending on the situation of where the word is used, it can be offensive to a man of Chinese Origin espeacially if hes not Chinese but of Asian descent.

Might not seem racist to you but it is. You should be mature enough to be mindful with those kinds of things in Online Games, and who you are offending. That's like me making a joke about a black person and water melons then assuming it's not putting down someone else because it's not offensive to you, but could be to someone else. Chinaman is offensive to me because my Wife is chinese, and I'm a white Canadian.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    These uptight dorks running the show at A-net need to get laid. 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322

For around 4 years my main character name in Guild Wars 1 was No Pants Chinaman. Today I was forced to change my Guild Wars 2 character name because No Pants Chinaman is "unacceptable".

Honestly, ArenaNet? Seriously in this game it's either have a RP name or you can go screw off. So far I'm really enjoying the gameplay. But, whether or not its true, I've heard of someone getting a lockout for saying "poop" in map chat. Seriously? I can't crack a mildly unorthodox joke in /m without being labeled as a "troll".

My Guild, The Paraplegic Swimteam has banded together for this sole reason. We're just a bunch of dudes who want to be able to communicate with other people in game without getting a spanking for expressing ourselves.

I hope there are people out there playing this game who feel the same way I do. That anet has gone a little overboard with these lockouts and bans.

More like Arena Net is doing exactly what they should be doing, moderating their game.  This is just another reason for me to go grab GW2 when it becomes available again.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by trash656

Paraplegic Swimteam is offensive to me. I have a Paraplegic Cousin who is handicapped. If i ever saw you say that in front of me I would put you to the ground without even a second thought.

Anet is not to blame, You are, Chinaman is a term used to define a person of chinese descent. Depending on the situation of where the word is used, it can be offensive to a man of Chinese Origin espeacially if hes not Chinese but of Asian descent.

Might not seem racist to you but it is. You should be mature enough to be mindful with those kinds of things in Online Games, and who you are offending. That's like me making a joke about a black person and water melons then assuming it's not putting down someone else because it's not offensive to you, but could be to someone else.

As is every joke, period. You honestly don't understand the word if you think that noone would be offended from any joke ever made. So does that mean that we can't make a joke anymore since it offends at least one person or are there special exceptions to that? If there are, what are these exceptions? Because I'm sure I can apply them to any joke ever made, including the ones in bad taste, such as either one he mentioned.

Everyone is a little bit racist. I'm pretty sure what I highlighted isn't the politically correct term and would get you shot in the wrong area. Ya, I said shot, because its a joke, and I'm sure one person will take offense to it.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Some of you uptight humorless tools need to go back to your charm school and let the normal people enjoy the internet.
    Originally posted by eggy08

Paraplegic Swimteam is offensive to me. I have a Paraplegic Cousin who is handicapped. If i ever saw you say that in front of me I would put you to the ground without even a second thought.

Might not seem racist to you but it is. You should be mature enough to be mindful with those kinds of things in Online Games, and who you are offending. That's like me making a joke about a black person and water melons then assuming it's not putting down someone else because it's not offensive to you, but could be to someone else.

As is every joke, period. You honestly don't understand the word if you think that noone would be offended from any joke ever made. So does that mean that we can't make a joke anymore since it offends at least one person or are there special exceptions to that? If there are, what are these exceptions? Because I'm sure I can apply them to any joke ever made, including the ones in bad taste, such as either one he mentioned.

Everyone is a little bit racist. I'm pretty sure what I highlighted isn't the politically correct term and would get you shot in the wrong area. Ya, I said shot, because its a joke, and I'm sure one person will take offense to it.

No not everyone is racist, I'm certaintly not, my wife is Chinese and I don't go to her perants and jokingly call her dad a chinaman? He would karatechop me into the next life. My Cousin is also Handicapped and you think its funny to make fun of Paraplegic people in a video games? What kind of iignorant moron are you? Yes I realize it was done for shits a giggles (Because most 18 year olds do stupid things) but just because it was done as a joke doesn't mean we should all be going around jokingly making names up that can offend other people. You need to seriously educate yourself on history and world war 2 how the Jews became second class citizens, people would make jokes about the jews how big their noses were because they thought it was funny, thats how racism starts.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Originally posted by reef22

Technically...

Calling any Asian person  "Chinaman" is the same as calling any African American the "N" word...

If the OP is an Asian then it MIGHT be ok.  Although I seriously doubt that he's an Asian to begin with.  Besides any self-respectful Asian person wouldn't call himself "Chinaman".

It's probably a lot safer to call an asian a chinaman then a black  the 'N' word though.   This is just a theory though, someone should test it out to make sure. 

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Terranah

Technically...

It's probably a lot safer to call an asian a chinaman then a black  the 'N' word though.   This is just a theory though, someone should test it out to make sure. 

I agree, You wouldn't call someone from England and Englishman or someone from Ireland and Irishman.

Technically...

Yes come up to Canada here and say it out loud in public. I can guarentee you that you won't just have asian people going after you but white people too. We don't put up with any of that racist crap in your country. We treat everyone here equally. Keep your racist crap in the states.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Technically...

Yes come up to Canada here and say it out loud in public. I can guarentee you that you won't just have asian people going after you but white people too. We don't put up with any of that racist crap in your country. We treat everyone here equally. Keep your racist crap in the states.

So, is it just as racist to call someone from England an Englishman? Someone from Poland a Pollock? Someone from Canada a Canadian? Someone from France a Frenchman? Someone from Quebec a Quebecois? Someone from the Netherlands a Dutchman? The list goes on...

Those are all widely used and accepted terms for people from those countries (province in the case of Quebecois), and have been for quite some time. It's no different from calling someone from China a Chinaman.

Get off your high fucking horse and drop the politically correct bullshit, please. People like you represent what is wrong with this world today.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by voxnor
    Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by voxnor
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Rename the guild to Quadrapalegic Swim team and make a guy named Bob the GM.

I really hope that this is sarcastic - and even then it's in bad taste.

It's a pretty common, joke, actually, tailored nicely to this specific situation. I don't see a problem.

You don't see a problem with a joke about quadrapalegic people using an activity that they cannot participate in? Please, explain how you don't see a problem with this.

Why are you putting quadrapalegics down?  Who are you to say what they can or can't try?  They have a hard enough time in life  without people restricting their activities.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

Technically...

So, is it just as racist to call someone from England an Englishman? Someone from Poland a Pollock? Someone from Canada a Canadian? Someone from France a Frenchman? Someone from Quebec a Quebecois? Someone from the Netherlands a Dutchman? The list goes on...

Those are all widely used and accepted terms for people from those countries (province in the case of Quebecois), and have been for quite some time. It's no different from calling someone from China a Chinaman.

Get off your high fucking horse and drop the politically correct bullshit, please. People like you represent what is wrong with this world today.

If you're from China, you are chinese. Stop trying to justify your covert insults with semantics. Your intent is clear.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by eggy08

Goes back to the guy with disabilities that noone know how to act around them. I'm sure you make fun of people constantly on a daily basis of their flaws. What you are proposing is that we live in a perfect world where noone ever makes fun of anyone ever since any "disability", whether it be from physical or mental (which I might add, includes anything imaginable from someone who you claim to be normal being bad at that activity), should never be mad fun of for such disability.

Fine, I'd like to see you go the rest of your life never rediculing a guy for being stupid for missing a question on something or for doing something not very bright. That you can never make fun of someone for being bad at a sport that he isn't particularly good at. That you treat everyone exactly the same regardless of race, disability or other for all of time. Then you can come at me and tell me that your world can exist. Until then, don't act like having a disability makes someone special, because then everyone in the world is special for one reason or another and thus everyone is the same and should be treated as thus.

You can't answer my question truthfully, because you know the answer. Don't act like your a saint for what you do. Your no better than anyone else and could be considered worse in the right light.

I now refer you back to my first post. Otherwise I just have to repeat myself.

Half of what you put here just seems like indignation.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

This discussion has been closed.