Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: Our Time is Now trailer

Comments

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Hokie

Okay just so everyone knows. This was a very indirect advertisment for the game. Its purpose was not to show off them game at all.

This was 100% directed at the MMO gamer. This was a "We've heard you, and we've listened."

The person sitting in the chair caked in mud (ahm sh*t) that is the current MMO scene. While some kind of dull action reflects in his nearly lifless eyes. All the while hes reaching out imploringly asking to be saved. (me)

Cut to the rebel who chooses the alley instead of the main street, clearly going against the main trend of MMOs, she has to hide her face and who she really is, with the sirens and helicopter sounds implying what she is doing is wrong.

And her tag stating  "Our Time Is Now" we've waited long enough, I dont have to choke on your worlds anymore I can take off this gasmask and breath fresh new air, I dont have to hide who I am, Ive jumped that fence youve put up, Im free.

Cut to the masses standing in front of the pit of burning ashes that are all thats left of all these great MMOs we were promised. And one person not afraid to get burned taking the first step.

Cut to girl who in the red dress who is the only bright spark of color in a colorless world of MMOs that she swimming thru, a world so watered down in the mundane and the droll that shes drowning in it. But there is hope, a bright light that shes swimming up from the depths towards.

And she exits the water with her eyes wide open into the crystal clear clarity that is GW2, along with three other saved, independent, and brave gamers.

Like I said, subtle.

Edit: Oh and you may say, "But there were four others that exited the water"?

Yeah well, I didnt count the Charr, because obviously someones cat some how crossed over.

I hate manimals...

I thought it was an ad protraying how we should repel against the government and the "our time is now" was our indication to finally put our feet down and push forward. The guy took too much crap from the man and now he is pulsing red with anger. The guy walking on the fire was showing that we are willing to do whatever it takes to bring down the government. Then the cut to the group of people showing we are not alone in our fight...

Idk what video I was watching. But I did find it weird that there was a dragon at the end... Might just be protraying the government for what they rly are, fire breathing monsters not afraid to crush anyone to get power... or something like that.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by eggy08

Okay just so everyone knows. This was a very indirect advertisment for the game. Its purpose was not to show off them game at all.

This was 100% directed at the MMO gamer. This was a "We've heard you, and we've listened."

The person sitting in the chair caked in mud (ahm sh*t) that is the current MMO scene. While some kind of dull action reflects in his nearly lifless eyes. All the while hes reaching out imploringly asking to be saved. (me)

Cut to the rebel who chooses the alley instead of the main street, clearly going against the main trend of MMOs, she has to hide her face and who she really is, with the sirens and helicopter sounds implying what she is doing is wrong.

And her tag stating  "Our Time Is Now" we've waited long enough, I dont have to choke on your worlds anymore I can take off this gasmask and breath fresh new air, I dont have to hide who I am, Ive jumped that fence youve put up, Im free.

Cut to the masses standing in front of the pit of burning ashes that are all thats left of all these great MMOs we were promised. And one person not afraid to get burned taking the first step.

Cut to girl who in the red dress who is the only bright spark of color in a colorless world of MMOs that she swimming thru, a world so watered down in the mundane and the droll that shes drowning in it. But there is hope, a bright light that shes swimming up from the depths towards.

And she exits the water with her eyes wide open into the crystal clear clarity that is GW2, along with three other saved, independent, and brave gamers.

Like I said, subtle.

Yeah well, I didnt count the Charr, because obviously someones cat some how crossed over.

I hate manimals...

I thought it was an ad protraying how we should repel against the government and the "our time is now" was our indication to finally put our feet down and push forward. The guy took too much crap from the man and now he is pulsing red with anger. The guy walking on the fire was showing that we are willing to do whatever it takes to bring down the government. Then the cut to the group of people showing we are not alone in our fight...

Idk what video I was watching. But I did find it weird that there was a dragon at the end... Might just be protraying the government for what they rly are, fire breathing monsters not afraid to crush anyone to get power... or something like that.

Well darn. I had all my WW3 weaons and back up systems ready too :P

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

It was warning people not to over do the mud facials, for if you do it will turn you from a pretty young thing into a munter that looks like she is wearing a gas mask with feet that smell like dragons breath 

If you didn't see that .. you don't get it 

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by eggy08

And you know what? I thought that too as I was watching it the first time.

I thought it was some generic "We Are The Youth" add. It only has real context at the end, which is another reason why I like it.

You have to stop and think how what was stated, out of context, relates to GW2.

Subtle.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by Sora2810

Lame at first I guess; but I thought about it on a deeper level and realized the point.

"We've been frozen for too long."  MMO's are just copying each other. Regurgitating the same content over-and-over.

"For those who dream of a better world." Obviously an MMO that tries to break the chain of repetition.

The scene of the people standing around the pit of fire coals represents the test of will. Will you step in, do you want something new? Or will you give up and go back. 

The water scene might be too complex or too obvious to really get. Swimming through dark waters towards a light; finally emerging.

Yes, but this is why this trailer is so wrong; GW2 is a great game, with great lore, beautiful art, but it is a generic, fantatsy, multiplayer, action-RPG.

Also, trailer giveas an impression that the game is somehow connected to the real world and it's problems, something that is simply not true and may be seen as very ignorant.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    I like the message, but I find the presentation too heavy for the masses. This isn't something I would show other people to get them to play GW2. Maybe this is for the hardcore crowd?
  • TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

AW FFS A-net. Your game is a bloody themepark MMO, not "Le Révolution."

Now I will admit is was a well shot film and had some clever symbolism. But really guys trying to add this level of depth and meaning to what essentially equates as "For years, we've suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous foturne due mainly to BOREDOM" is a bit much. First world problems my friends. Decent game, pretentious horse shit advertisement.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• latinkurolatinkuro Member Posts: 121

Okay just so everyone knows. This was a very indirect advertisment for the game. Its purpose was not to show off the game at all.

This was 100% directed at the MMO gamer. This was a "We've heard you, and we've listened." from NCsoft and ArenaNet.

Like I said, subtle.

I hate manimals...

Absolutely brilliant.

subarashi.

Originally posted by Tardcore

Now I will admit is was a well shot film and had some clever symbolism. But really guys trying to add this level of depth and meaning to what essentially equates as "For years, we've suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous foturne due mainly to BOREDOM" is a bit much. First world problems my friends. Decent game, pretentious horse shit advertisement.

Yet your own signature states exactly what arenanet has done here.

Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.

-Jack Kerouac

to me this says all other theme park mmo's just played it safe and just copied wow 

arenanet is different, they dare to go against the trends, fads and popular opinion, they did what no developer has dared do for 10 years, innovate.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I thought this trailer was absolute crap, since I knew it was about GW2/computer game, and it felt weird with all that stealth messaging.

However thinking about it, if I didnt know what it was about, and saw it on TV from start to finish, it propably would have made me at least check out what GW2 is about if I already didnt know, just because I have never seen anything like that, at least recently, and they are obviously convincing me that this is something else.

Propably works on people who are gamers but does not keep track of all the recent gaming news spamming F5 on mmo sites.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by latinkuro

Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.

-Jack Kerouac

to me this says all other theme park mmo's just played it safe and just copied wow 

arenanet is different, they dare to go against the trends, fads and popular opinion, they did what no developer has dared do for 10 years, innovate.

Well off topic but here goes.

Sorry mate but I'm afraid I must respecfully disagree. All I feel A-net has done is to just saw off those bits of the Wow themepark model they felt made the game cumbersome. Well that and tinker with a few other features that were pioneered by other games. That's it. And I personally see nothing revolutionary about just omitting content. So I feel they've acted exactly OPPOSITE of the advice in my sig. I feel they've pandered to the weary themepark crowd by giving them "Themepark Lite".

And no before anyone flys off the handle that I'm saying GW2 sucks, I'm not. I'm just saying in my opinion it ain't all that new.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

-Jack Kerouac

And this, my friends, is why GW2 has so many haters.

People go around spewing stuff like this and setting people's bullshit detectors on fire. Much like the trailer.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Strangely enough, I have the urge to log into TSW now after watching the vid...

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

I give up

/waves white flag

Yes, continue to think Anet is simply the avant garde of the ad community.

Only reason I'm still here is the group system sucks ass. Anyone around have an artistic representation of that?

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I give up

/waves white flag

Only reason I'm still here is the group system sucks ass. Anyone around have an artistic representation of that?

The crowd in the video was together but not grouped. ;)

Ps:  did you really have wicked jelly?

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I still think the dragon head in the smoke right at the start of the firewalking scene was pretty cool.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Would of been beter as a TSW trailer...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Garbage
    Originally posted by Badaboom

I give up

/waves white flag

Trying to group for a dungeon goddammit not a DE. :P

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Here be dragons.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Sorry mate but I'm afraid I must respecfully disagree. All I feel A-net has done is to just saw off those bits of the Wow themepark model they felt made the game cumbersome. Well that and tinker with a few other features that were pioneered by other games. That's it. And I personally see nothing revolutionary about just omitting content. So I feel they've acted exactly OPPOSITE of the advice in my sig. I feel they've pandered to the weary themepark crowd by giving them "Themepark Lite".

And no before anyone flys off the handle that I'm saying GW2 sucks, I'm not. I'm just saying in my opinion it ain't all that new.

If you believe innovation means 100% pure new never existing features, than I hate to break it to you but you're sadly mistaken.

by your definition

- the personal computer is not an innovation

- the iphone is not an innovation

- the LCD is not an innovation

- the internet is not an onnoation.

I could go on forever and ever and ever......

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Badaboom

I give up

/waves white flag

Trying to group for a dungeon goddammit not a DE. :P

don't have a guild? there are several guilds around I have gotten invites to that have well over 500 people each. My guild of 20 has people that want to run dungeons all the time

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

don't have a guild? there are several guilds around I have gotten invites to that have well over 500 people each. My guild of 20 has people that want to run dungeons all the time

I have odd hours which tends to cause problems in guilds if they rely on me too much. Gotten plenty offers myself. Not one of those that thinks a game should rely on those however.

Plus, I'm one of those odd folks that tends to enjoy pugs besides the occasional cf.

I'm not against a guild but most have had drama going on when I was in them I would rather not be a part of. One of the realistic aspects of GW2 in story modes :P

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I have odd hours which tends to cause problems in guilds if they rely on me too much. Gotten plenty offers myself. Not one of those that thinks a game should rely on those however.

Plus, I'm one of those odd folks that tends to enjoy pugs besides the occasional cf.

considering you can join as many guilds as you want in this game I see no reason not to try if you are having issues grouping.. better than nothing.. you can consider them pug guilds:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

If you believe innovation means 100% pure new never existing features, than I hate to break it to you but you're sadly mistaken.

by your definition

- the personal computer is not an innovation

- the iphone is not an innovation

- the LCD is not an innovation

- the internet is not an onnoation.

I could go on forever and ever and ever......

If you truly believe GW2 is going "against the trends, fads and popular opinion, they did what no developer has dared do for 10 years, innovate" then I'm sorry to break it to you but you're being had.

GW2 is basically a mix of every major popular feature created in the last 10 years and before that (fantasy themepark, class-based, RvR, Public Quests, battlegrounds, cutscenes/VOs, etc). It is very, very far from being a daring game. If anything, ANET played it extremely safe. Which is why I find the trailer to be deceptive, in addition to awful. 

Don't get me wrong, GW2 is a very good MMORPG, but it's not revolutionary. Heck, to even call it innovative is asking for a 20 page discussion on semantics.