Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Uptight Stuffed Shirts

Comments

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Is there such a thing as a light-hearted racist joke? All the racist jokes I have ever heard were precursors to violence. As such  I have never found them that amusing.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by voxnor
    Originally posted by eggy08
    Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Rename the guild to Quadrapalegic Swim team and make a guy named Bob the GM.

I really hope that this is sarcastic - and even then it's in bad taste.

It's a pretty common, joke, actually, tailored nicely to this specific situation. I don't see a problem.

You don't see a problem with a joke about quadrapalegic people using an activity that they cannot participate in? Please, explain how you don't see a problem with this.

Because I have a sense of humor.

Are you a quadrapalegic? If yes, hats off to you and your sense of humor. If not - what gives you the right to speak for them, saying it is funny and not offensive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHvLCY48krI...

Listen there is a thing called taking a joke too far and taking a joke too seriously. Its fun to laugh at your own mistakes, but then again its not fun to be constantly rediculed by them. Someone will take offense to them regardless of the situation. You sir, need to learn to lighten up.

I happen to have a fantastic sense of humor. And - behind closed doors, I have made many, many severely innapropriate jokes. But, we are talking about a public game chat channels, public names, and public forums.

A quadrapalegic is not a light hearted racist joke - its a joke about a severely disabled person that cannot participate in a large majority of human activities.

You are correct that there is taking a joke too far and taking it too seriously. Where you are not correct is saying that a joke about severe physical dissabilities is not too far.

OK, I get it, I retract my joke, Just stop derailing the OP's thread.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Lol

Oh...I'm pretty sure this is exactly what the OP had in mind.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

It's a pretty common, joke, actually, tailored nicely to this specific situation. I don't see a problem.

You don't see a problem with a joke about quadrapalegic people using an activity that they cannot participate in? Please, explain how you don't see a problem with this.

Are you a quadrapalegic? If yes, hats off to you and your sense of humor. If not - what gives you the right to speak for them, saying it is funny and not offensive?

Listen there is a thing called taking a joke too far and taking a joke too seriously. Its fun to laugh at your own mistakes, but then again its not fun to be constantly rediculed by them. Someone will take offense to them regardless of the situation. You sir, need to learn to lighten up.

I happen to have a fantastic sense of humor. And - behind closed doors, I have made many, many severely innapropriate jokes. But, we are talking about a public game chat channels, public names, and public forums.

A quadrapalegic is not a light hearted racist joke - its a joke about a severely disabled person that cannot participate in a large majority of human activities.

You are correct that there is taking a joke too far and taking it too seriously. Where you are not correct is saying that a joke about severe physical dissabilities is not too far.

I think the name of the guild is offensive, You guys should change it... How about "Dead Kittens" hehe

• voxnorvoxnor osMember Posts: 121
    ... snip ...

Everything I have said is spot on with the OP's topic - it's just in dissagreement with him / you.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525

Your using the word not correct on an opinion. I'm sorry but I don't have the same scaling on too far as you do. If this was a profession background, then yes it would be too far. This is open world, however, and the boundaries are quite different from one to the other. Thus, I don't see it going any farther over the line than any other joke. You just have the mentality that "if you can't say a joke in front of someone, then you should never say the joke at all."

The fact that you speak for the quadrapalegic people out there is just sad. Your the one acting like their lives suck and they can't find enjoyment in anything and its not funny to make fun of them. Are they special to you? Are they any worse than anyone else because of their disability? Because honestly if they aren't, then stop acting like they are the special case and thus should not recieve the same treatment anyone else should. Its just pathetic that you judge someone by the fact that they have a disability and that they can't be treated like a normal person.

• feroshusferoshus Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Wow, this is a real internet argument, that's for sure. I wonder who will win?
  • kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    OP, grow up and stop being a racist. 
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by feroshus

All opinions on this subject here are irrelevant. The only thing that is are NCSoft's TOS. If you are on/in their property they can make you change your name if it's making other people angry and found in violation of the TOS that you agreed to before making your account.

• feroshusferoshus Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Originally posted by Xzen
    Originally posted by feroshus

All opinions on this subject here are irrelevant. The only thing that is are NCSoft's TOS. If you are on/in their property they can make you change your name if it's making other people angry and found in violation of the TOS that you agreed to before making your account.

Hmm that's right. I also would've accepted "No one".

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I'm actually in favor of stricter naming policies.  OP's name is stupid and so are half the names i see that aren't really names but silly statements of some kind.

Teabagger

I Pwn Joo

I Have A Name

All these are stupid and don't fit in a fantasy setting and should be dealt with.  You wouldn't believe some of the ridiculous names I've seen on my server.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Eggy, I'm pretty certain being quadrapalegic does put you off at a notable disadvantage.

So...yeah yer commentary just kinda comes off as derisive, dismissive, and honestly makes you sound like a bit of a bastard.

Making fun of anyone for a physical disability or feature because it amuses someone else is rude. There's certainly varying degrees to this, and not everything needs to be banned for the sake of being politically correct. However, things that derive humor at the expence of through the slander of others needs to be considered in how offensive it may be to the targets of the humor because it's very much so ridicule.

Bit hypocritical of me because in daily life I will take jabs at overweight people and others that make comments of beliefs I know or perceive to be patently false or dumb. I will joke about stereotyopes. In genreal I am pretty cynical and sarcastic. I do however also acknowledge the implications of what I do and I do regulate myself in mediums where there is some aim for respect.

I might crack a joke about someone in a wheelchair having sweet rims, but are you going to turn around and start pretending to be paralyzed and mock them to their face? Are you going to stat calling yourself 'the paralyzed patriot' and stroll about in a wheelchairfor no apparent purpose before wandering off, in public?

If no, then you should understand why such naming policy does not like people doing so in a public game where you never know if you are interacting with the kind of people your name or behavior is mocking/insulting.

If yes, seek counseling.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Alders

I'm actually in favor of stricter naming policies.  OP's name is stupid and so are half the names i see that aren't really names but silly statements of some kind.

Teabagger

I Pwn Joo

I Have A Name

All these are stupid and don't fit in a fantasy setting and should be dealt with.  You wouldn't believe some of the ridiculous names I've seen on my server.

I think the worst I've run across is Jiggaman. I mean...golly...can't imagine what he's implying.

But I guess since I'm not black I should find it acceptable and not offensive.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    you know..i have a debilitating illness but i find it arrogant or sometimes find it  embarrassing for people because they dont know how to act around me..personally i love people takin the piss..there are too many people afraid to speak or joke because they think i,m gonna burst into tears..i'd rather they just say what they want to say..sometimes  when they do i'm in hysterics.but offensive names hurt everyone and perhaps the OP should consider that..saying that though i do like the guild name..so sue me if you want to.
    Originally posted by Deivos

Eggy, I'm pretty certain being quadrapalegic does put you off at a notable disadvantage.

So...yeah yer commentary just kinda comes off as derisive, dismissive, and honestly makes you sound like a bit of a bastard.

Making fun of anyone for a physical disability or feature because it amuses someone else is rude. There's certainly varying degrees to this, and not everything needs to be banned for the sake of being politically correct. However, things that derive humor at the expence of through the slander of others needs to be considered in how offensive it may be to the targets of the humor because it's very much so ridicule.

Bit hypocritical of me because in daily life I will take jabs at overweight people and others that make comments of beliefs I know or perceive to be patently false or dumb. I will joke about stereotyopes. In genreal I am pretty cynical and sarcastic. I do however also acknowledge the implications of what I do and I do regulate myself in mediums where there is some aim for respect.

I might crack a joke about someone in a wheelchair having sweet rims, but are you going to turn around and start pretending to be paralyzed and mock them to their face? Are you going to stat calling yourself 'the paralyzed patriot' and stroll about in a wheelchairfor no apparent purpose before wandering off, in public?

If no, then you should understand why such naming policy does not like people doing so in a public game where you never know if you are interacting with the kind of people your name or behavior is mocking/insulting.

If yes, seek counseling.

Again. Its the name of a guild. I haven't said anything about what he struts around doing in his free time in the game or out.

That being said, I don't treat anyone any differently than I would want from myself. Do you think that calling someone special to their face is any better than cracking a joke about it? Its the name of a guild, not a full frontal assault on people with disabilities. Ever once think that these people want to be treated normally? I doubt you would appreciate it if someone went up to you and threw the fact that you are "special" in your face constantly and treated them differently because of it. Same thing goes for people who have lost a loved one. Do you go around and throw it in their face and treat them like they are any worse off than anyone else because of it or do you help them move on by treating them the same you did before it?

If he went into a pool and started swimming around, pointing at the person and going "look what I can do, look what I can do", sure thats too far. But at the same time, hey let's act like these people are freaks of nature that deserve any more attention and treatment than anyone else purely because of their disability, that will solve the problem right?

Honestly, put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself: Is it better to be the same as everyone or treated different? Then come back to me with an answer. If you answer the same, then congrats, you can be made fun of like the rest of us. If you answer different, then you clearly don't understand what it means to be different and get treated thus.

Originally posted by kevjards
    you know..i have a debilitating illness but i find it arrogant or sometimes find it  embarrassing for people because they dont know how to act around me..personally i love people takin the piss..there are too many people afraid to speak or joke because they think i,m gonna burst into tears..i'd rather they just say what they want to say..sometimes  when they do i'm in hysterics.but offensive names hurt everyone and perhaps the OP should consider that..saying that though i do like the guild name..so sue me if you want to.

Thank you, perfect example of my point.

• therez0therez0 Member Posts: 379

Paraplegic Swim Team [SINK] is a legacy GW1 guild; if A.net had any problem with that guild name, they would have done something about it when the guild was consistently in the top 20 for the monthly AT's a year or more ago.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    The Bob joke is ancient, but still gets panties in a bunch. GJ!
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Again. Its the name of a guild. I haven't said anything about what he struts around doing in his free time in the game or out.

That being said, I don't treat anyone any differently than I would want from myself. Do you think that calling someone special to their face is any better than cracking a joke about it? Its the name of a guild, not a full frontal assault on people with disabilities. Ever once think that these people want to be treated normally? I doubt you would appreciate it if someone went up to you and threw the fact that you are "special" in your face constantly and treated them differently because of it. Same thing goes for people who have lost a loved one. Do you go around and throw it in their face and treat them like they are any worse off than anyone else because of it or do you help them move on by treating them the same you did before it?

If he went into a pool and started swimming around, pointing at the person and going "look what I can do, look what I can do", sure thats too far. But at the same time, hey let's act like these people are freaks of nature that deserve any more attention and treatment than anyone else purely because of their disability, that will solve the problem right?

Honestly, put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself: Is it better to be the same as everyone or treated different? Then come back to me with an answer. If you answer the same, then congrats, you can be made fun of like the rest of us. If you answer different, then you clearly don't understand what it means to be different and get treated thus.

I think both responses are dismissive and used as means to not really consider what one is being presented with.

Fact is if you are using their name, be it 'positive' or 'negative', you are planting a focus on them one way or another. If you really want what you claim, for them to not be treated differently, then don't treat them differently. Don't call them out one way or another for their problems, faults or otherwise. Their guild name points them out same as a player name would. It's the same policy in both cases. 

Perhaps just talk to them about it, inquire about their issues or differences. That's the only means where you can address an issue in a manner that actually fits to what your diatribe actually claims an end-goal to.

Everything else is justification.

EDIT: in a sense it falls back to this comment by another.

"I really hope that this is sarcastic - and even then it's in bad taste."

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Originally posted by Deivos

I think both responses are dismissive and used as means to not really consider what one is being presented with.

Fact is if you are using their name, be it 'positive' or 'negative', you are planting a focus on them one way or another. If you really want what you claim, for them to not be treated differently, then don't treat them differently. Don't call them out one way or another for their problems, faults or otherwise. Their guild name points them out same as a player name would. It's the same policy in both cases. 

Perhaps just talk to them about it, inquire about their issues or differences. That's the only means where you can address an issue in a manner that actually fits to what your diatribe actually claims an end-goal to.

Everything else is justification. 

Goes back to the guy with disabilities that noone know how to act around them. I'm sure you make fun of people constantly on a daily basis of their flaws. What you are proposing is that we live in a perfect world where noone ever makes fun of anyone ever since any "disability", whether it be from physical or mental (which I might add, includes anything imaginable from someone who you claim to be normal being bad at that activity), should never be mad fun of for such disability.

Fine, I'd like to see you go the rest of your life never rediculing a guy for being stupid for missing a question on something or for doing something not very bright. That you can never make fun of someone for being bad at a sport that he isn't particularly good at. That you treat everyone exactly the same regardless of race, disability or other for all of time. Then you can come at me and tell me that your world can exist. Until then, don't act like having a disability makes someone special, because then everyone in the world is special for one reason or another and thus everyone is the same and should be treated as thus.

You can't answer my question truthfully, because you know the answer. Don't act like your a saint for what you do. Your no better than anyone else and could be considered worse in the right light.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

"china-man" is a racist term, its the equivalent of calling a black guy the "N" word.

no Chinese person calls another Chinese person a china-man. it doesn't surprise me at all it got reported and removed.

/thread

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz
    I wonder if the name was offensive because of, No Pants or Chinaman?

LOTRO has a raid that requires certain fellowship maneuvers in order to complete a challenge mode. One of them is called "A Chink in Their Armor" and the name of it doesn't pass through LOTRO's own name filters. When it shows up in the chat window it's A &^$@! in Their Armor.

I'm guessing it was Chinaman. And no, it's not unique to GW2.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    While op and his pals are obviously immature idiots.

I don't get why giant communist robots was banned.

I know, right.

But think about this: Blizzard is based in Irvine, California. If you know anything about California demographics, you would know that commies are no joking matter in Orange County, CA.

EDIT: Religion & Politics -- to be avoided.  Also, aside from races like elves, orcs, etc., no humie racism allowed.  "Chinaman" is racist.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I'm confused by people who aren't aware that Chinaman is generally used as a fairly racist, derogatory term. :I

• tabindextabindex Member UncommonPosts: 70
    They should have just given you a lifetime ban from GW2 and GW3 with a stupid name like that.
This discussion has been closed.