Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how is the DE-HYPE phase going?

Comments

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by eggy08
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

*snip*

*snip*

*snip*

Thanks for the headsup, appreciate that.

On a side note, and this isnt directed at you eggy, but i find it slightly amusing that people are ignoring every other part of my post but focusing on the one thing i was slightly wrong about.  And i do stress slightly.

Sorry, jumped into this thread late and that was an easy answer so I jumped on it. Didn't read the rest. Blame Aerowyn for snipping it, I'm the victim here.

Oh dude its cool, like i said that wasn't directed at you, i jsut thought it was interesting that nobody has mentioned anything else in most.  I thought for sure they would hop on the part about dynamic content for example.  But you have nothing to apologize for.

What?!? you insulted GW2's dynamic content... Why I outta...

As far as that goes. It's better than rift IMO only because rift was literally just random spots that seemed to have no importance besides maybe the raids that seemed to almost never happen. But is it immersive is opinion. In a zerg, probly not. Alone, maybe. But gotta admit, when I have to follow around a frog who lost its way in the water and the quest saying "take him to shore" and I reach one and he basically goes, "oops wrong shore back into the water bec its so much fun." I almost walked away and said, you know what you can go die for all I care. Mind you I was alone and he would have. Still refuse to go near that quest to that day... bastard..

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer
    The game is like, 2 weeks old.

I predict it will be f2p inside another 2 weeks...

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

*snip*

*snip*

*snip*

On a side note, and this isnt directed at you eggy, but i find it slightly amusing that people are ignoring every other part of my post but focusing on the one thing i was slightly wrong about.  And i do stress slightly.

Sorry, jumped into this thread late and that was an easy answer so I jumped on it. Didn't read the rest. Blame Aerowyn for snipping it, I'm the victim here.

Oh dude its cool, like i said that wasn't directed at you, i jsut thought it was interesting that nobody has mentioned anything else in most.  I thought for sure they would hop on the part about dynamic content for example.  But you have nothing to apologize for.

As far as that goes. It's better than rift IMO only because rift was literally just random spots that seemed to have no importance besides maybe the raids that seemed to almost never happen. But is it immersive is opinion. In a zerg, probly not. Alone, maybe. But gotta admit, when I have to follow around a frog who lost its way in the water and the quest saying "take him to shore" and I reach one and he basically goes, "oops wrong shore back into the water bec its so much fun." I almost walked away and said, you know what you can go die for all I care. Mind you I was alone and he would have. Still refuse to go near that quest to that day... bastard..

Yeah, i guess i should have clarified, im not saying Rift was better, im also not saying the system is bad.  It works just fine.  All i was trying to say is that it wasnt this ultra innovative game paradigm shifting ultra awesome thing like the developers AND the fanboys tried to make it out to be.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

*snip*

*snip*

*snip*

Yeah, i guess i should have clarified, im not saying Rift was better, im also not saying the system is bad.  It works just fine.  All i was trying to say is that it wasnt this ultra innovative game paradigm shifting ultra awesome thing like the developers AND the fanboys tried to make it out to be.

that must all be in your head..  either way its a huge step imo over traditional static hub questing that is the exact same every single time you go through it... play the same zone in Tera 3 times bet it will pretty much be the exact same every time you play through it. I have played through numerous starting zones in gw2 and not a single time was the experience the exact same... that is its biggest impact imho.. i will agree the early zones could use a little less repetition but overall still can't think of a MMO with a 1-15 zone i enjoyed more..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Tardcore

Ok due to the thread title I'm basing this outlook on what the game is as compared to what it seems the fan base hoped it would be. 

On that note I think we can see now that the game is not the paradigm shift, genre conquering, wow killer that many of the more hysterically rabid fans claimed it would be. Its just yet another distillation of the themepark model where its seems what they've mainly done is remove some of the more annoying aspects of the genre and unfortunately didn't replace them with anything new.

So just like every other game for the last few years, GW2 will slate the pallet of the majority for a few months then go on the dust pile with the rest of the disposable games. Now nothing wrong with that, but considering how many people not that long ago were delerious with the hope that THIS TIME everything will be different, it feels a titch pathetic.

Ya it is one of the best games to come out since Vanilla WoW . I am taking my time doing a lot of good crafting, meeting folks in my guild, and checking out everything I can.

My son and his wife are playing, they both made guardians. My youngest sone is playing an Elementalist and he is very good at it, in fact he is pretty good at all genres of games. My daughter, who lives down in Phoenix is playing with her friend and she is a Ranger. I don't get to chat with her much because of her work schedule. I'm fairly old and I'm trying to get my "girlfriend" (we can call them that when we are old) into the game but she has problems with trigger finger and carpal tunnel but she loves the engineer because of the guns.

I'm trying to meet the hundres of thousands of others who are playing the game and loving it. 

See you in game! I can't wait to meet you too!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

*snip*

*snip*

*snip*

that must all be in your head..  either way its a huge step imo over traditional static hub questing that is the exact same every single time you go through it... play the same zone in Tera 3 times bet it will pretty much be the exact same every time you play through it. I have played through numerous starting zones in gw2 and not a single time was the experience the exact same... that is its biggest impact imho.. i will agree the early zones could use a little less repetition but overall still can't think of a MMO with a 1-15 zone i enjoyed more..

Where's your thread on DEs? Think that would summarize it prelaunch. Too bad its lost in the sea of helpful threads. While problems bubble up to the surface constantly. *sigh*

Where's your thread on DEs? Think that would summarize it prelaunch. Too bad its lost in the sea of helpful threads. While problems bubble up to the surface constantly. *sigh*

you are welcome to resurface that one:)... to many pages to go back and search for me though lol..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Ok due to the thread title I'm basing this outlook on what the game is as compared to what it seems the fan base hoped it would be. 

On that note I think we can see now that the game is not the paradigm shift, genre conquering, wow killer that many of the more hysterically rabid fans claimed it would be. Its just yet another distillation of the themepark model where its seems what they've mainly done is remove some of the more annoying aspects of the genre and unfortunately didn't replace them with anything new.

So just like every other game for the last few years, GW2 will slate the pallet of the majority for a few months then go on the dust pile with the rest of the disposable games. Now nothing wrong with that, but considering how many people not that long ago were delerious with the hope that THIS TIME everything will be different, it feels a titch pathetic.

Ya it is one of the best games to come out since Vanilla WoW . I am taking my time doing a lot of good crafting, meeting folks in my guild, and checking out everything I can.

My son and his wife are playing, they both made guardians. My youngest sone is playing an Elementalist and he is very good at it, in fact he is pretty good at all genres of games. My daughter, who lives down in Phoenix is playing with her friend and she is a Ranger. I don't get to chat with her much because of her work schedule. I'm fairly old and I'm trying to get my "girlfriend" (we can call them that when we are old) into the game but she has problems with trigger finger and carpal tunnel but she loves the engineer because of the guns.

I'm trying to meet the hundres of thousands of others who are playing the game and loving it. 

And that's great, glad you (all of you GW2 players) are having a blast. Thing is though this is still very much the honeymoon period. Let's have this same chat in six months and see how it goes then.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Sir.........You call them your............"Ladyfriend" when you are old. 

That is...unless you are still a kid. Old as I get, I'll never grow up anyway.

you are welcome to resurface that one:)... to many pages to go back and search for me though lol..

I'm sorry to report this.. but your thread has drowned and died... *sniff* I'm sorry. I did the best I could.

And that's great, glad you (all of you GW2 players) are having a blast. Thing is though this is still very much the honeymoon period. Let's have this same chat in six months and see how it goes then.

so if a have a BLAST for six months then stop playing it wasn't worth it? i really don't understand this attitude.. i don't need to live in a game for years for it to be great.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

*snip*

Crafting:

Besides the high level issue of the economy.  The crafting system is terribad.  Its an EPIC money sink.  Just getting from 50 to 75 skill will cost you minimum 50s (which at level 15 or 16 is a metric crapton of money) OR 8-10 hours of mat farming.  The idea that you could even keep yourself in decent gear, much less your guild or buddies, is laughable.  Not happening.  The sad part is you discover that you can just buy all the crap you wanted to make from the AH for 1copper over vendor because of all the others thousands of schmucks who thought they would pick up crafting.

*snip*

that's not true at all if you are utilizing the discovery tab.. i even reached well over a 100 without spending anymore than maybe 10-20s max.. i'd take a look at some crafting guides and learn how to maximize XP through discovery

Honestly if your not using discovery to level up you profession, then you are going to be wasting a crap ton of mats and supplies. That is by far the easiest way and the most productive way to level it up. Basically:

1. Get as many levels as possible from just making bars or whatever, don't craft anything else.

2. Craft insignias/gems or whatever and use it on as many possibilities as you can.

3. Second you get 25 levels above the crafted item skill wise don't waste mats on it.

4. Prosper.

400 in 2 professions, most I bought was to go from 375-400. About it.

Dark red :) 

Me and 2 buddies are able to. My buddy is a tailor, other one is a weaponsmith. Tailor is 200+, weaponsmith is 250+. I'm 300 on my cook, and 110 on my jeweler. 

If you're making gear for friends guildies they need to be supplying you with either mats or money for mats.

But people are crafting and selling for cheap. Can find some goood deals right now. But mats are ridiculous priced. I wouldn't even try it.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

so if a have a BLAST for six months then stop playing it wasn't worth it? i really don't understand this attitude.. i don't need to live in a game for years for it to be great.

I agree.

I had a blast with TSW but I'm not currently playing it. Does that mean the game is bad? Not by my standards. I got what I wanted out of it, enjoyed myself, and plan on returning to it after several updates for a bit again.

Although I think he's more referring to people's attitude towards the game overall.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

First off did you miss the part of my first post where I said I'm comparing what the game actually is vs what some of the more hysterical fans promised (unfairly to A-net) it was going to be? IE the HYPE. Which is really what this whole thread is about, how the game stacks up vs the hype. That's why I have this attitude. Its not a critique against GW2, but against the behavior of certain members of its community with a very skewed view of what GW2 would be.

And second if the game really is the best MMO since Vanilla Wow, the opinion of the poster I quoted (an opinion I do not agree with) then it will still be going strong for these players six months in. So we'll wait and see.

As to how long a game lasts you vs value, that is very much up to the outlook of each individual. Buying an mmo that lasts me a month or two isn't worth it to ME. So I do need to live in a MMORPG game for longer than a couple of months for ME to dub it GREAT. That help clairfy things for you?

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer
    The game is like, 2 weeks old.

yes 2 weeks old, and i already own full exotics, 400/400 crafting, completed personal story, i beat Zaitan, 89% world exploration which is getting repetitive because you do the same DE again and again for the Karma needs

i dont know which fault is this, mine for playing too fast, or the game for being too little in content and too easy on players

yes i know that Anet said this is for Casual, but if you can finish a game content (except for WvWvW and sPvP that will never end )

then i think it's a bit too easy and fail to meet the expectations from the "more than casual player" which Anet should have really thought about it

hell, take a look at Vanguard, it took me 1 year just to explored like 1/2 the world

So What Now?

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

It's unbelievably better than I expected. 

I thought GW1 was an innovative and well made game, but I didn't like it.  I was very suspicious of all the GW2 hype and hysteria.  I didn't even like the screenshots and vids.  I'm not even all that keen on fantasy MMOs.

But after a couple of hours into the game I knew this was something special.  Now 32 (with alts at various levels below that), and just can't get enough of the damn thing.  This game is like a breath of fresh air in a stale room - at last, a modern MMO that feels like a virtual world again!  At last, an MMO that doesn't punish people spontaneously helping each other out in the wild - I mean, that alone is HUGE.  But the game is full of innovations like that, and to top it all it has the most astounding attention to detail in any game I've seen ever, I think.

And PvP is a heck of a lot of fun.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Well it's a pretty safe assumption that any game will not last very long. What you need to do is measure how much game play you are getting for your dollar. I'm at about 150 hours on my Guardian, and have only covered about 34% of the map, and this is my first character. I beleive that works out to about .40 cents an hour and the more I play the less that will become of course. 

I'm an old man and playing by the minute and this game is worth every penny. I haven't read your post history but it seems like you are slighly upset towards the title. If you are much of an mmorpg enthusiast it is definatly worth stepping back and reevaluating the game and just buing it and playing. /whispers...It will be our little secret.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Well it's a pretty safe assumption that any game will not last very long. What you need to do is measure how much game play you are getting for your dollar. I'm at about 150 hours on my Guardian, and have only covered about 34% of the map, and this is my first character. I beleive that works out to about .40 cents an hour and the more I play the less that will become of course. 

I'm an old man and playing by the minute and this game is worth every penny. I haven't read your post history but it seems like you are slighly upset towards the title. If you are much of an mmorpg enthusiast it is definatly worth stepping back and reevaluating the game and just buing it and playing. /whispers...It will be our little secret.

Well then you missed a whole hell of a lot of my post history as I've stated on numerous occasions that I HAVE been playing the game. And that my real gripe about GW2 is not the game which I think is OK, not great, but OK, but the portion of the fanbase that has been so rabidly hateful and delsuional about just what kind of game GW2 actually is.

As to playing the game, several of the people I work with and I rent a very large house in a very nice neighborhood none of us could afford on our own. Since about half of us are gamers that means I usually have ample opportunity to try out one of the hot new games one of them has purchased. One of my house mates bought GW2 expressly for the WvW and has abandoned his account due to being upset about the queue times. So that's left me free reign to do what I like in GW2 without paying a cent. Nice work if you can get it huh. So far got a warror to 29th, a guardian to 15th and a ranger to around 12th I think (I personaly don't care of any of the pure casting classes at all). Since I have the opportunity I'm going to try to get at least a couple of characters to at least 30th on the off chance I've missed something amazing about the game. To be honest though, so far I don't think I have.

Thanks though for that dump truck full of egotistical condescension, insinuating that anyone who dislikes the game must not have actually played it. Gee its not like I haven't heard that old tune before.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    The game is exactly what I expected. It's fun. It may not be as deep and complex as people make it out to be, but its fun for what it is and thats all that matters. It will kill time untill something else catches my eye and will be there anytime I get bored and don't want to break out a CC (because I really don't need to buy ANYTHING from the cash shop)

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

Well then you missed a whole hell of a lot of my post history as I've stated on numerous occasions that I HAVE been playing the game. And that my real gripe about GW2 is not the game which I think is OK, not great, but OK, but the portion of the fanbase that has been so rabidly hateful and delsuional about just what kind of game GW2 actually is.

As to playing the game, several of the people I work with and I rent a very large house in a very nice neighborhood none of us could afford on our own. Since about half of us are gamers that means I usually have ample opportunity to try out one of the hot new games one of them has purchased. One of my house mates bought GW2 expressly for the WvW and has abandoned his account due to being upset about the queue times. So that's left me free reign to do what I like in GW2 without paying a cent. Nice work if you can get it huh. So far got a warror to 29th, a guardian to 15th and a ranger to around 12th I think (I personaly don't care of any of the pure casting classes at all). Since I have the opportunity I'm going to try to get at least a couple of characters to at least 30th on the off chance I've missed something amazing about the game. To be honest though, so far I don't think I have.

Thanks though for that dump truck full of egotistical condescension, insinuating that anyone who dislikes the game must not have actually played it. Gee its not like I haven't heard that old tune before.

Its your signature. People read that and go "Humpf, thats not how the game will be... another guild wars hater eh?" You at least put a spin on enjoying and still can critique over pure and udder bliss that most go into these posts with. Thus they take your posts with a spoonful of pepper and quickly spit it out.

Its your signature. People read that and go "Humpf, thats not how the game will be... another guild wars hater eh?" You at least put a spin on enjoying and still can critique over pure and udder bliss that most go into these posts with. Thus they take your posts with a spoonful of pepper and quickly spit it out.

Well its not for nothing that on old friend once compaired my sense of humor to a fart in a crowded lift. In certain instances amusing but usually just upsetting. But as the great philosophyser Popeye the Sailor once said, "I yam what I yam".

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Well Tardcore aside, I'm paranoid about people talking about GW2 without having played it, because a few people have actually been CAUGHT doing just that.  For serious.  Still, you're innocent until proven guilty.

Or is that backwards on forums?  I might have missed a memo.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

It is what I expected..

its a solid MMO,but nothing over the top or blowing me away.

Originally posted by Eir_S

Well Tardcore aside, I'm paranoid about people talking about GW2 without having played it, because a few people have actually been CAUGHT doing just that.  For serious.  Still, you're innocent until proven guilty.

Or is that backwards on forums?  I might have missed a memo.

Sorry, it's "your guilty and here is why..." now. Didn't you get that memo. I swear it was mass forwarded...

Sorry you feel that way. I meant you no ill feelings. Good luck to you, I know your history now without even looking at it.

Well if that wasn't your intent then you have my most humble apologies. Without facial expressions and mannerisims it is sometimes hard to judge a persons intent. But since you closed both of your posts to me with essentially "Aw come on, try it you'll like it", maybe you can understand why I would jump to the (in this case wrong) conclusion that you were insinuating my opinions were based on zero actual game experiance.