Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside 2 Owns Everything!

MARTYB2KMARTYB2K Member Posts: 167

Hi all,

Been playing the PS2 Beta for the last 2 days. (Bought Alpha Squad). Let me just get this out of the way. This game is going to be HUGE! I recently got GW2. It's good, but not a patch on PS2. It destroys Battlefield 3 on every level. Trust me you will want to be playing this game when it comes out.

My girlfriends son has even cancelled his Halo 4 pre-order after watching me play. He is learning to use a Mouse + Keyboard. Can't wait to get home tonight and play again.

Comments

• ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Originally posted by MARTYB2K

Hi all,

Been playing the PS2 Beta for the last 2 days. (Bought Alpha Squad). Let me just get this out of the way. This game is going to be HUGE! I recently got GW2. It's good, but not a patch on PS2. It destroys Battlefield 3 on every level. Trust me you will want to be playing this game when it comes out.

My girlfriends son has even cancelled his Halo 4 pre-order after watching me play. He is learning to use a Mouse + Keyboard. Can't wait to get home tonight and play again.

I've been considering it but have had some bad experiences with SOE recently. What's so good about it versus planetside 1?

• MARTYB2KMARTYB2K Member Posts: 167

Ok, they are a few bugs, but nothing game breaking:

1) Looks amazing and runs very well even on old machines.

2) Build in Voice chat which includes squad/platoon/proximity chat.

3) Day/Night cycle.

4) It feels like a triple A shooter. Planetside 1 felt clumsy imo.

5) Great vehicles with massive control options including joysticks/gamepads.

6) Epic feeling like no other game.

7) Huge custimization.

8) Great social and stat options. (Outfits etc)

9) Good SFX, but turn off the music.

10) Great teamplay. Medics heal, engineers drop ammo etc.

Best online game i played since Battlefield 2, WOW and SWG.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by MARTYB2K

Ok, they are a few bugs, but nothing game breaking:

1) Looks amazing and runs very well even on old machines.

2) Build in Voice chat which includes squad/platoon/proximity chat.

3) Day/Night cycle.

4) It feels like a triple A shooter. Planetside 1 felt clumsy imo.

5) Great vehicles with massive control options including joysticks/gamepads.

6) Epic feeling like no other game.

7) Huge custimization.

8) Great social and stat options. (Outfits etc)

9) Good SFX, but turn off the music.

10) Great teamplay. Medics heal, engineers drop ammo etc.

Best online game i played since Battlefield 2, WOW and SWG.

1. pretty much the same as planetside 1 then,

2. planetside 1 also had voice chat, trouble was, it was rubbish..  hopefully you can disable it in game as most outfits use vent or ts3, which tend to be less impacting on game performance.

3. good to see .. should make timing of battles more important

4. planetside 1 was far from clumsy,  so no change hopefully.

5. vehicles etc were controllable with joypads in planetside 1, so no change.

6. ...

7. not sure what you mean by customisation, in planetside1, what armour weapons etc you wore decided your appearance, battleranks changed it slightly as you advanced through them.

8, no change from planetside 1,

9, again, no real changes from planetside 1

10, some changes, as now players have to choose a profession, rather than choosing skills, this actually represents a nerf on planetside 1, which had more flexibility, .

SOE is probably gambling hugely on Planetside 2, as they have removed quite a bit of the things that they had in planetside 1, bases are no longer the strategic emplacements they used to be, with choke points and air defences, and reliance of engineers and gunners to man the defences, along with vehicle and infantry support,  even the change of open ended skills in favour of 'professions' represents a significant downgrade, with players being forced to choose one or the other rather than the 'mix and match' of the planetside 1 which allowed for a wider range of character skills and flexibility in roles. What does concern me most though, is how SOE plans to monetise this, given their other games singular focus on limitations and lockouts, it would have been far better to develope Planetside 2 as a P2P game, at the moment, i see no reason to believe that Planetside 2 will be anything other than a flop, which given SOE's record is an easy prediction to make, though personally i had a lot of hopes pinned on Planetside 2, but not any more.image

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

A lot of people are truly impressed by PS2, because they never saw PS1. Those of us that played PS1 already know that there was nothing out there like this.. and that once you had played it, no other game could ever be a MMOFPS.

When you compare PS2 to PS1 here is what you will see:

1. Better graphics (OMG this game is pretty)

2. Lower TTK, more need for cover.

3. Larger map. The map (only one available at this time) is bigger than PS1.

4. More specialization. The class system (with choices in equipment) drives a much higher level of specialization. At this time we only have one loadout per class, so the tendancy is to specialize that loadout.

5. More dynamic gameplay. The battles move around pretty fast, there is less static attack/def, and a lot more push/pull.

6. More mindless Zerg (ineffective). There are are a lot of players that add to the numbers, but dont really move things forward. You can tell the players/outfits that know what they are doing, as they are MUCH more effecive.

• MercurialGMercurialG Member UncommonPosts: 50

I miss driving my ant around and playing fuel delivery guy.

And I can't believe I am going to say this, but - Some bases are too big.  Really hard to defend all the points on some bases.  Honestly who would build a base like that.  Othewise the game is pretty kick ass.

Also I am a PS1 vet.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
     Like I said before , PS2 is releasing a few years too late.  The only thing this game will own are store shelves , because it won't sale that many copies.   Borderlands 2 will have a better launch day then PS2.
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

PS1 rocked!

PS2 not so much! It is more of a FPS than a MMOFPS. Look at it and compare it to PS1. I won't be playing it no matter what changes they make because the core game itself is a slap in the face!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by SuprGamerX
     PS2 is releasing a few years too late.  The only thing this game will own are store shelves , because it won't sale that many copies.

PS2 will be ftp

why would there by shelf copies?

edit:

its possible they may have box versions of AlphaSquad,

http://www.planetside2.com/alpha-squad

comes with 40.00 Station Cash

• LorkiiLorkii Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

PS1 rocked!

PS2 not so much! It is more of a FPS than a MMOFPS. Look at it and compare it to PS1. I won't be playing it no matter what changes they make because the core game itself is a slap in the face!

Anyone that hasn t played it yet, it so far from the truth , this comment it s not even funny. I see no difference in the 2 outside a couple gameplay decision, which are good ones IMO. It s as much a MMOFPS as any game out there claiming so, and more.

• genjamie1genjamie1 Member Posts: 56
    Are you guys insane? This game is amazing!
  • KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
     Like I said before , PS2 is releasing a few years too late.  The only thing this game will own are store shelves , because it won't sale that many copies.   Borderlands 2 will have a better launch day then PS2.

Game is F2P no boxes so yea. and Borderlands 2, dont compare apples to oranges. Borderlands is no where close to even battlefields scale, let alone hope of it holding a candle to a game like Planetside 2.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

It is amazing fun.

Like the OP ive been enjoying GW2 which is a solid game, but this is just an epic title and after having just experienced my most epic battle yet, i can safely say this is a gonna be a firm favourite in my gaming locker. :)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

:( Still no inv...

edit - yeah just checked. still no inv...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    PS2 lost me at ProSiebenSat.1.Games.......

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

D'oh!

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    It will be very interesting to see how PS2 compares to DUST 514.
  • BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

image  Hahahahahahahahah

• MeGaTronPowerMeGaTronPower Member Posts: 80

This game rocks im addicited to it and im not a fps shooter person. Battlefield is huge, there is so much flexibility in combat.

This game will beat batlefield 3 and halo4 or even call of duty. Everything about it screams awesome. I felt like im in a real combat simulation. Kudos soe awesome game. i would pay $15/ month for this. this title is sub worthy, there is sooooo much o do sooo little time. platoons rocking, whoa look out call of duty, batlefield 3 and halo, and gear of war.

By the way DUST 514 got nothing on planetside 2, DUST 514 is inferior to plaentside 2 in terms of epic scope, the world size, strategic take over of base operations, runnign supplies everything. planetisde 2 will chew up dust514 and spit them out, there is no competition against planetside 2. ITS fps shooter dream come true. WATCH OUT planetside 2 is coming to town with big guns.

• DreskestDreskest Member Posts: 69

I'm not much of a pvper, but I am in the beta and this game is really a lot of fun to play.

For the serious and hardcore pvpers out there, I guess it's going to be a very solid game and one of those go-to games for pvp.

Even pvers like myself will be spending time there for sure. It's looking really good so far.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    Originally posted by Lorkii

Anyone that hasn t played it yet, it so far from the truth , this comment it s not even funny. I see no difference in the 2 outside a couple gameplay decision, which are good ones IMO. It s as much a MMOFPS as any game out there claiming so, and more.

My main problem with it is it's too fast paced. You die from a handful of shots which ends up making the gameplay a run and gun style rather than actually thinking about tactics. Instead of looking at the big picture you look at the enemy standing on the wall and go shoot him, because hell, you'll probably be down to 25% health if you survive the encounter so why try doing anything else? Next shot kills you, respawn, do the same thing all over again.

That on top of how quickly bases change hands makes the whole gameplay a shallow thing, just turn off your brain and run around for an hour going, pew pew, until you get bored. Which you will. Once the shiny shiny has faded and you start looking at the map more than the enemy standing in front of you, you realise how pointless it all is. Territory switches back and fore with no warning, what you just fought for over the last hour changes hands because you left one Infiltrator in the base who can change it over to his side in under 2 minutes.

Pointless game. But then, I'm not a fan of FPS games for the same reason, the whole shoot, die, respawn thing gets old REALLY quickly for me. Planetside 1 was awesome however, the best FPS I've played, but this has Planetside in its name purely because of cosmetic reasons. The two games are completely different.

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

My main problem with it is it's too fast paced. You die from a handful of shots which ends up making the gameplay a run and gun style rather than actually thinking about tactics. Instead of looking at the big picture you look at the enemy standing on the wall and go shoot him, because hell, you'll probably be down to 25% health if you survive the encounter so why try doing anything else? Next shot kills you, respawn, do the same thing all over again.

That on top of how quickly bases change hands makes the whole gameplay a shallow thing, just turn off your brain and run around for an hour going, pew pew, until you get bored. Which you will. Once the shiny shiny has faded and you start looking at the map more than the enemy standing in front of you, you realise how pointless it all is. Territory switches back and fore with no warning, what you just fought for over the last hour changes hands because you left one Infiltrator in the base who can change it over to his side in under 2 minutes.

Pointless game. But then, I'm not a fan of FPS games for the same reason, the whole shoot, die, respawn thing gets old REALLY quickly for me. Planetside 1 was awesome however, the best FPS I've played, but this has Planetside in its name purely because of cosmetic reasons. The two games are completely different.

You described the solo experience there. In a decent squad theres a mix of classes that work well together. The health  issue isn't an issue with medics.

From my experience, this game will be what the player makes of it, a real team player will get lots of satisfaction, a soloist will do well also once they have some of the unlocks needed, like restore health packs etc, but the game is built for epic battles, which it does provide and which will greatly improve once outfits become more organized.

• LorkiiLorkii Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by SysFail
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect

You described the solo experience there. In a decent squad theres a mix of classes that work well together. The health  issue isn't an issue with medics.

From my experience, this game will be what the player makes of it, a real team player will get lots of satisfaction, a soloist will do well also once they have some of the unlocks needed, like restore health packs etc, but the game is built for epic battles, which it does provide and which will greatly improve once outfits become more organized.

Ya I agree with joining a squad, as in an MMO really. The map doesn t change too often, well it can , if the numbers are ridiculous for one side. I ve seen 2 hour battles for one base, just did it yesterday, on US beta 1 server. We(TR) defended a base and kept those damn NC away for 2 hours till they decided to go off to another base. PS2 as was PS1 is a game I log into for a few hours a couple times a week, so I m not worried about the shiny shiny fading.  Overall, playing PS1 for 4 years and now PS2 beta, I put PS2 a little ahead. They re working on alot of additions for it anyways, so what you exactly saw isn t the end result. If it was I would be extremely happy, and have already bought the alpha squad deal.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Anyone that has already evaluated PS2 gameplay and come to a decision based on that is making a BIG mistake.

The beta is in early days yet, and things are changing constantly and sometimes significantly. Those that say "core gameplay won't change from beta to launch" need to experience PS2 beta. Never mind that 75% of the certifications and weapons aren't even implimented yet, so it's impossible to see how it will eventually play.

Bases change hands too fast ? That's about to change radically, as Galaxy spawns are taken away. Now you'll drive a Sunderer to deploy as a spawn, which means that the ground war suddenly becomes MUCH more important. No more hopping from base to base in a Gal, and then switching loadouts when you land depending on what you find there. And no more respawning at that same Gal if you happen to die.

The second continent (Esamir) will be added in the next 2 weeks, which is going to be very interesting. This will also mean more people will be getting beta access, because the numbers will be needed.

Do yourself a favour, if you're even vaguely interested in the game, check on on its progress weekly. You may be surprised at what you see.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

PS1 rocked!

PS2 not so much! It is more of a FPS than a MMOFPS. 

hilariously wrong, ps1 is not a mmofps. it doesn't matter if it even was better than ps2, ps1 is 300 players.

ps2 is AFAIK the 2nd true mmofps, first was darkfall. both handle potentially thousands of players on same map simultaneously.

My blog: image

Originally posted by Consensus

hilariously wrong, ps1 is not a mmofps. it doesn't matter if it even was better than ps2, ps1 is 300 players.

ps2 is AFAIK the 2nd true mmofps, first was darkfall. both handle potentially thousands of players on same map simultaneously.

And unlike Darkfall, major battles so far have been fluid and not a slideshow. :)