Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Novus Aeterno: The Next Evolutionary Step

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Novus Aeterno was our winner for Most Innovative Game at PAX Prime 2012 for good reason: It's an up-and-comer that will shake both MMO and RTS genres to their very core. Keep reading to find out why. Been following Novus Aeterno? Let us know what you think of it in the comments.

Five years later, the game is finally ready to debut on the world stage and compete against the big boys, well, sort of. It’s hard to pigeonhole Novus Aeterno since it really isn’t exactly “just” and MMO. Similarly, it is not “just” an RTS. It is the best of both put together to truly bring the persistent massive online experience to real time strategy and vice versa.

“A lot of developers claim to be ‘MMORTS’”, Nick said, “but they aren’t really. We are.”

Read more of Suzie Ford's Novus Aeterno: The Next Evolutionary Step.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Interesting concept.  Played something similar to this in an old facebook game where you build up castles and form alliances. The problem was you were always online checking your castles.   People in the central core area of the game got hit frequently.  Our alliance had people watching for attacks 24/7.  The problem with that game, there was nothing to do after you built up your castles except attack others.  

Obviously that game was quite simplex compared to this game, but I won't play another 24/7 game because I don't want to spend most of my time worrying or playing one certain game.  Games like this become a job.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

"going to be one of the most genre-busting (or genre-expanding) games ever to come down the pike. The list of features goes on and on. It’s simply too big for explanation and is doubtless one of those games that must be experienced to truly get an idea of its scope and breadth."

That's a lot of hype there, hope it's true but we're being asked to just take it on "faith"? Why wasn't there more of an article written, give us a list, some examples of these magnificent "genre busting" features?

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    sounds interesting, and it's supposed to launch when?.....
  • gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

must be working hard on the game cause they ain't updating their website

latest update was last december

"video" consisted of stills from 2011

preview seems to be a paid placement

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I think the biggest challenge to overcome will be the persitant nature of MMO's and the match based gameplay of RTS games. That said I would like to see some gameplay and try it out.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    It's not a paid placement, Gatheris. It's a legitimate game that really has the potential to be a genre shaking title. If they can pull it off is the elephant in the room. The NA team was out in full force with a decent sized booth at PAX and a full group of PR personnel as well. Keep looking for it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    I think there are some enormous "ifs" involved. Still, this could be good, but the all-out PvP focus is a bit weird financially speaking. Besides, unless the planets move around a lot, won't you be fighting the same, rather small group of players constantly, especially because a player's "homeworlds" can't be captured?
  • blohm86blohm86 Member Posts: 43

Impressed list:

1. Game design: Impressed
    2. Graphics: Not impressed
    3. Innovation: Impressed
    4. Tear-dripping story about a 16 year old: Not impressed
    5. Fortress Shield: Not impressed
    6. NPC Interaction: Not impressed
    7. Scale: Impressed
    8. Blatant Eve-Online server ripoff: Impressed
    Overall Impressed rating: Im impressed.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I was a little excited until I read that your ships are not destroyed for good. To me this game sounded hardcore until that point. Now I'd still rather play EVE

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    You can always play Shores of Hazeron in the meantime. Just try not ot piss of the Big boys or they will orbitally bombard you back into the stone age.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    i feel like watching a downgraded of eve online
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Interesting concept.  Played something similar to this in an old facebook game where you build up castles and form alliances. The problem was you were always online checking your castles.   People in the central core area of the game got hit frequently.  Our alliance had people watching for attacks 24/7.  The problem with that game, there was nothing to do after you built up your castles except attack others.  Obviously that game was quite simplex compared to this game, but I won't play another 24/7 game because I don't want to spend most of my time worrying or playing one certain game.  Games like this become a job.

Yep I've played one like this and Novus Aeterno sounds similar. They are addicting but I much prefer the empire building to the PvP part.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Interesting concept.  Played something similar to this in an old facebook game where you build up castles and form alliances. The problem was you were always online checking your castles.   People in the central core area of the game got hit frequently.  Our alliance had people watching for attacks 24/7.  The problem with that game, there was nothing to do after you built up your castles except attack others.  

Obviously that game was quite simplex compared to this game, but I won't play another 24/7 game because I don't want to spend most of my time worrying or playing one certain game.  Games like this become a job.

This, really.  Losing nearly everything when you log off for a while is completely game-breaking unless losing everything isn't a big deal.  One of the most important features for a game to have is that you need to be able to set it aside, then come back an hour or a day or a month or a year later when you have time again and pick up where you left off.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by gatheris

preview seems to be a paid placement

Nah.  When this site does a paid placement, it's from an anonymous writer claiming that some game is the greatest thing ever for no apparent reason in particular.  (Actually, I've only seen that once from this site, excluding obvious ads like the Wartune one running now near the top of this page.)

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Quizzical

This, really.  Losing nearly everything when you log off for a while is completely game-breaking unless losing everything isn't a big deal.  One of the most important features for a game to have is that you need to be able to set it aside, then come back an hour or a day or a month or a year later when you have time again and pick up where you left off.

Or regaining what you lost should be fun. 

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    looks like something I could get into!
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    I think there are some enormous "ifs" involved. Still, this could be good, but the all-out PvP focus is a bit weird financially speaking. Besides, unless the planets move around a lot, won't you be fighting the same, rather small group of players constantly, especially because a player's "homeworlds" can't be captured?

I couldn't agree more. I think the "ifs" and the "possiblies" need to be much more detailed than they are right now. Still, the dev team has just started its PR run so only time will tell how excited everyone can get. If hopes and ambitions tell us anything, these guys are up for the challenge. Ah...the energy of youth. :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

The two big problems with all games similar to this. Whats the point?

O.K. great I go out and conquer 10 planets....then what? I conquer 10 more? then what? So I am a super genious and I conquer an entire galaxy and kick 30k players from my sphere of influence....then what? This in the end is what makes EvE for me not my cup of tea. There are actually tons of games like this out right now - they are all browser based F2P where you have to spend a lot of RL money to do actions on any given day. What makes this unique is that it is a fixed universe in a 3d engine.

What I am getting at is this would be a lot cooler if the universe were a bit smaller and there was an end game where someone or some side could win and the game is then reset and starts again. Without this its a sandbox with RTS elements instead of leveling elements. Nothing wrong with that but in my opinion its not that groundbreaking/revolutionary/stand the gamesphere on its head sort of thing. Its just a triple AAA version of a browser based gameplay style that allready exists.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

This game unfortunately sounds like it will end up being similar to those FB games or browser games like Mythos.  While they are addicting they have the feel of "keeping up with the Joneses" and unless you are willing to commit every spare minute of your life playing it you will inevitably fall behind and find the game frustrating.

RTS/MMO combined is a tough one.  The beauty of RTS is getting a fresh start each game session; the beauty of MMO is player development and advancement.  Both work against each other unless you can somehow keep them separated. And if you really want to combine mmo with rts you have to have the rts be versus AI, not other players. pvp centric mmo's don't work so neither would an rts/mmo based on pvp.  This way the game can balance the AI to make sure the challenge, and reward, are always at the appropriate level.

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    MMOFTS never work for the exact reason that your shit is vulnerable 24/7 and its retarded b/c no one will ever attack a player thats online and can respond immediately. FAIL.
  • AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305
    I don't know why this reminds me Ogame. I'm thinking about evergrowing empires with hundreds, then dozens of thousands, millions...etc of ships. And there will be one day when you'll need 10 billions of ships to do anything in the game. The defender will have the same amount of ships and defences.... and overtime, the server will be less populated due to boring

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Interesing, but dramatically oversold for something being called 'eternally new'.

I'm fond of latin names, but they make me warry of high strung hope and imagination beyond what one's actually going to achieve.

In other worlds, I'm getting a Fable vibe. Features I like, things that sound like I'd enjoy. But if and how they are implemented can and probably will lead to varying degrees of acceptance and frustration for a title that will eventually be called niche and most probably won't talk about except for when they refer to an idea that could be/have been.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Interesting.

I'll keep my eye on this one because it piques my interest but they will have to iron out some of the above mentioned issues for it to be successful IMHO.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Maelkor

The two big problems with all games similar to this. Whats the point?

O.K. great I go out and conquer 10 planets....then what? I conquer 10 more? then what? So I am a super genious and I conquer an entire galaxy and kick 30k players from my sphere of influence....then what? This in the end is what makes EvE for me not my cup of tea. There are actually tons of games like this out right now - they are all browser based F2P where you have to spend a lot of RL money to do actions on any given day. What makes this unique is that it is a fixed universe in a 3d engine.

What I am getting at is this would be a lot cooler if the universe were a bit smaller and there was an end game where someone or some side could win and the game is then reset and starts again. Without this its a sandbox with RTS elements instead of leveling elements. Nothing wrong with that but in my opinion its not that groundbreaking/revolutionary/stand the gamesphere on its head sort of thing. Its just a triple AAA version of a browser based gameplay style that allready exists.

Check out PotBS and ATITD. They both have a win condition and server resets.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

so, you're telling me that there will be thousands of Galaxies, and each Galaxy can hold up 30,000 players?

so let's see, let's say they have 1000 Galaxy x 30,000 players, that is like 30millon users ( that is even if there are actually 30,000 players that will play in a single map )

and i dont even think more than 10,000 will play, so i dont know how this "Huge" areas are going to be even populated

oh and 1 more thing:

is this kid's dad rich? how did he afford all these devs?

So What Now?