Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: Players Unite to Save CoH

Comments

• brackatchabrackatcha Member Posts: 24

Look guys, I am a big a COH fan as there is..played at launch and probly have more hours in that game than any other (except wow).....but.....the game is dated beyond repair...a COH II would get my interest but I have little desire to play COH these days..If I want a superhero fix I log into DCUO...it is a shadow of what COH was in the glory days...but now...it (DCUO) is a better alternative.

If you want to get the past present and future COH community excited then see if you can resurrect Paragon studios, have th ebuy the license, and then kickstart them to produce COH2

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    if only Valve can take Paragon Studios under it's wing.

• GreenPunchGreenPunch Member Posts: 2

Wow tkobo, what hero mixed a yellow substance in your cereal?  I get that there will be people that'll disagree with the efforts to save the game, but to call it a failure right from the start?  Failures don't typically last 8 1/2 years with a very loyal & vocal fanbase of not JUST the game itself but of the development team.

We're fighting to show them how much they have meant to us as well as saving a game that gave us a community unlike most other MMO's out there, not saying that they're not as good, but a community grown from an MMO that was outside the 'norm' of the regular slew of fantasy MMO's will foster a community unique in it's own right.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by GreenPunch

Wow tkobo, what hero mixed a yellow substance in your cereal?  I get that there will be people that'll disagree with the efforts to save the game, but to call it a failure right from the start?  Failures don't typically last 8 1/2 years with a very loyal & vocal fanbase of not JUST the game itself but of the development team.

We're fighting to show them how much they have meant to us as well as saving a game that gave us a community unlike most other MMO's out there, not saying that they're not as good, but a community grown from an MMO that was outside the 'norm' of the regular slew of fantasy MMO's will foster a community unique in it's own right.

5000 paying subs just isn't enough to sustain the game.... yet alone an entire studio with staff and rent that need to be paid!

Just face it. The F2P was too generous (same with Aion) that the vast majority of people were just leeching on a free ride.

Turbine did it right with their model with DDO and LOTRO.

SOE went the greedy route and has the worst Freemium F2P model.

NCSoft went too soft on their conversion. Which is ironic to be honest.

• Blast-waveBlast-wave Member Posts: 4
    It was making money.....I read that NCSoft lost money during Q2 and now they are trying to recover losses....even though their losses were from some other games.
  • gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by GreenPunch

5000 paying subs just isn't enough to sustain the game.... yet alone an entire studio with staff and rent that need to be paid!

Just face it. The F2P was too generous (same with Aion) that the vast majority of people were just leeching on a free ride.

Actually, I would say that CoX f2p was too lenient on old vets(opening virtually most the game for free) and too harsh on actual new players. A dangerous combination IMHO.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by Calhoun619

Where were all these supporters before the closing announcement? I see petitions and all this support talk but if so many love CoH and want it to stay alive why werent you all subbing to it in the first place?

So if they manage to keep it alive I hope the server pop is flowing because of all these supporters that are so up in arms about the closing, yet im sure 97% werent even playing the game to begin with.

I havent played in about half a year before the announcement was made but I was still forking out my monthly sub for it.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I hope it works, but with NCSoft, I'm seriously doubtful.

NCSoft doesn't have much of a history of risk taking.  My guess is that this game was in the black before they announced and declining, and they decided to cut it loose before it went red.  Plus, a loss this big will probably give them a nice tax break... at least the US wing...

Without a doubt, it's one of the best games that I don't play.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

I'm sorry for the people playing this game that it's closing but this seems to be the standard uproar when a game is closing. It usually seems that a large portion of people complaining are ones that don'r play anymore and it's the nostalgia getting them. People leave for a reason. Most times I got nostalgic and went back to a game I rememered why I left pretty quickly.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by gandales

Actually, I would say that CoX f2p was too lenient on old vets(opening virtually most the game for free) and too harsh on actual new players. A dangerous combination IMHO.

gandales's right, their f2p is ("is", not "was" yet :) ) too stricted for newcomers (which does no good for luring in new players), and too generous for the vets (also not good for the company's income)

Btw LotRO has the same issue with former players, they set up their f2p in a way, that except the pvmp players most vips switched back to premium... so the "did it right" part hardly fits LotRO, they're in the same boat as CoH or Aion - ofc only in the matter of handling former subscribers.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Hate to be a downer here on this  " happy rally to let's save this game, post ". Reality is it won't work . It never has in the past and there is nothing to indicate it will now. In fact it's even less likely, since the game is F2P. As they say " you've a feathers chance in a hurricane "

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Where were all these supporters before the closing announcement? I see petitions and all this support talk but if so many love CoH and want it to stay alive why werent you all subbing to it in the first place?

So if they manage to keep it alive I hope the server pop is flowing because of all these supporters that are so up in arms about the closing, yet im sure 97% werent even playing the game to begin with.

+1 to reality check.

It is the entitlement  attitude, that says, "I want you to keep this game up for me, but you should do it for free."

My personal best quote ever: "Capitalism is 'core, get a helmet."

I loved City, it was my first, and what I hold all MMOs to. They all fail btw. That being said, I quit playing a year or so ago, the Incarnate Trials were lame "gear grind", in my opinion. I had a 50 of every class, and frankley was tired of it. Things like that happen.

Sad to see it go for sure, and if, and that is a huge if, in my eyes, there is ever a CIty2, I am in with a lifetime sub.

Fond memories is what I take forward.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    If there's one thing that works 100% of the time, it's internet petitions.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by rygard49

Critical Sarcasm Strike

+50% to dmg

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by rygard49

Critical Sarcasm Strike

+50% to dmg

Combined with Caltrops it's additionally slowing down the trolls :)  (I miss my blaster...)

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    This shows that even if a game goes free to play , does not always work.  I have fear the market has  been dieing, we will see alot more games go offline soon.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by tawess
    Originally posted by superniceguy

We were all still playing and paying and subbing, but the thing is, the game is jiust being shut down for no good reason, other than a change in business direction by NC Soft "In a realignment of company focus and publishing support"

Actually there is empirical proof that most people was not playing the game any more and that it was the bottomfeeder in the company.

What I wrote was the actual reason for the shut down.

Also I said later in that post, which you removed, is that Paragon Studios themselves are helping in the efforts to save the game. They know first hand whether the game was dead or unprofitable, If it was either or both, I do not see them bothering in saving it, or encouraging players to do so, when there would be no hope in the matter.

• joaoermjoaoerm Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by tkobo

Perhaps "all" 5k of you can sign a contract to pay $500 a month ,for the next 2 years,to keep the game going ?

Or

Perhaps "all" 5k of you can start a kickstarter  association,collect cash in it,to buy and run the game yourselves ?

Or

Perhaps "all" 5k of you can go out and buy a whole lot of scratch off lottery tickets......and buy the game with your "sure" winnings......

OR

Buy up every antique lamp you can find ?

Or

Ask for the game to be  included in some countries next stimulus money throwaway program ?

Or

Perhaps you can bring back 8tracks,and use the "sure"  massive profits from the all the people who still like 8tracks,to fund the game ?you can probaly find about 5k people who would go out and regurarly buy the 8tracks.......

Or

Perhaps "all" 5k of you can get together and build windmills,then use the "massive and regular" power production of such to power the game,sellling off the "massive" extra power to fund the game ......

Or

Perhaps "all" 5k of you, can realize the game was beyond saving before it even went retail,and simply accept how fortunate ,how incredibly lucky ,you were that it wasnt put down far sooner.

yea, i know ,that last one is really "reaching"  :P

Oh, and try to stand back when it hits the bug zapper.

Damn! You really hate this game don't ya? Well, do u know what I hate? I hate when people like you try to discourage people like me who spent hundreds of euros in the game, love the game, made friends in game and in RL (yes, i have a busy RL with wife and kids, who, btw, love this game also!), created my own stories to share with others, made costume contests and participated  in them and alot more during 3yrs (unfortunately, i didn't know about the existence of this game sooner...)!

If you don't want to help saving the game, don't sink it even more with your stupidity!

Call me a fanboy, call me what you want, i don't care! Just shut up and go play with your toys kid!

• PlageronPlageron Member Posts: 109

Well its upsetting for me as i tend to play city of heroes alot.

What the most irritating thing about them closing up.....is that they literaly had the developement team showing off new things and had a new build onthe beta that really added alot of things and new powers and changed the game areas.

Then suddenly onthe very next day the group was telling players when things where going to hit the live servers....the company got them into the office inthe morning on friday and fired the entire studio...then said everyhting would stop.

Its annoying.....its alot like Hellgate London with what happened.....where they had all the cool stuff on beta...but now we wont get it becasue they are closing the game down.

Ah well....I guess i am mostly frustrated as in I dont know what other game i will actualy play....mostly everything else doesnt have the same stealth or travel system... all other games are sub-par in those categories...and most of the attack and level systems and such are sub par as well in other games.  Then there is exemplar and side kick systems that no other game has come close to yet.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Thats pretty epic, I didnt think a game like that would have a tight knit community like this.

I dont play CoH but I support you.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

NCsofts decision to close this game its not because the game is "doing bad".

CoH didn't do bad, other games of NCsoft did. Yet they decided to cut this one out to make up for the loss.

One doesn't have to be subbed as a vip for the game to make money either cause people are buying a lot from the item shop due to the fact that they are releasing new powersets and other good things that people want and buy in the first place.

So it would be nice that instead of blaming it to a community you don't even know and discouraging people, to rather help by signing the petition.

I was in CoH since the first CB, started at the release and stayed for 5+ years with 2 subscriptions(had them running even at times I didn't play because the game was worth it and the people in the game and behind the game even more). 

Came back into it as vip when it went f2p and stayed for a few months, then started jumping in occassionaly only.

Just unlocked more slots in July and bought another new powerset from the mall which I enjoyed playing together with friends that are still there actively and new people that I got to know.

The game itself is one of the best and one of the most innovative and revolutionary mmos ever

Was the first mmo that had (except flying that was done before):

-  no gear progression

- brought the sidekick and malefactor systems to the mmo world

-  the best character editor out of all available mmos out there

-  mission architect

-  base construction

- superspeed, flying, teleportation, super jump, ninja run, beast run, hovering, jetpack among many other unique traveling powers.

among many other unique and innovative things.

First superhero mmo and still the best ouf of them, even their graphics are a bit outdated in the meantime. 

• soulofguardiansoulofguardian Member Posts: 3
    I will try this, COH~~~
  • First of all, everyone is entitled to their opinion...whether it may good or bad.

Secondly, I think what most people are failing to realize is that we are not "demanding" that NCSoft keep this game. What we are asking is that they consider it or at least consider selling the rights to another company, cutting servers, or any possibility that would allow us to keep our game. 

Third, our efforts are not solely to sustain our game but also to show support for the amazing development team that was thrown out into the streets with no prior warning. 

I see many posts from people stating that the game was "in the red" or not making any profit. In all actuality, the game was making a profit after expenses. Granted, it was a small profit, but a profit nonetheless.  The official statement from the company is not that the game was losing money, but states "In a realignment of company focus and publishing support, NCsoft has made the decision to close Paragon Studios."

I also see quite a few people stating that we should all quit whining and spend money on the game to show that we don't want it to be shut down. That's impossible when the company has completely stopped any monetary transactions.

I must say that it doesn't help players' outrage when they just payed for 3, 6, or 12 month subs to have the transactions stopped, then have the company post that they will not be giving refunds, but you can transfer your paid time to another NCSoft game. This doesn't affect me personally as my husband and I paid our subs on a monthly basis, but I can understand the frustration.  Also, not all but many players don't enjoy the genre of the other games offered by NCSoft. I know I wouldn't want to be paying for a game that I had no interest in.

Those who say the game is old and should be shut down because of it .... well there are other games that are just as old and still going.

All in all, our community understands that our efforts may be futile or they may be wildly successful. However, whatever the outcome may be, we all stood up, took action, and supported the game and community we have all grown to love instead of crying in a corner.  I would think any gamer, no matter what your game or genre of choice may be, could at least understand our efforts whether you support them or not.

*edited to break up the wall of text.

• hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221

So I'll agree that CoH messed up with their F2P conversion somewhat.  Too many things given away to long-term players on top of locking some of the basic ATs away from people who previously purchased the game but hadn't played for long enough.

That said, I'm not really sure where people are getting the idea that there's only 5k people subscribed to the game.  There were 5k or so people who showed up for the protest the other day, but neither was that all the subscirbers nor was it just subscribers.

The game wasn't making a ton of money to be sure, but it was in the black (it made money) as far as I've been able to determine just like it had been for years.  It actually made more money than GW1 did this year, though I imagine the GW2 tie-in from the hall of monuments will encourage at least some people to go back and try it.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

I have to agree with what some others are saying, shut down aion LOL, CoH even though dated is much better IMO, and both are/were in the F2P model.

But it is what it is RIP CoX , The only true Superhero game!