Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: Our Time is Now trailer

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Lydon

if I didn't know anything about GW2 it would have piqued my interest.

Yeah, that is potentially the best part of the ad.  I know a lot of people will think it's "cool" and look up more info simply because of that.  It reminds me of the weird ads for SNES and Sega games back in the 90's that didn't have much to do with the games, but they still sold well because the ads were somewhat "edgy".  I don't care why people buy it so long as I have plenty of people to play with for the foreseeable future, but what bugged me was the "modern day" setting for the live action video portions.  That's not really the same audience they're trying to reach is it?

Would you hire the guy who designed the sets and models for the Terminator to introduce Mists of Pandaria?  Just doesn't make much sense to me.  Oh well.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Remember - they're trying to sell the game to people who haven't actually bought it, not those of us who have. For me, at least, they definitely would have succeeded in making me take note of the game's name instead of forgetting it a couple of commercials later.

I'd never buy GW2 if i saw this trailer first. I feel rather offended by it. Shilling a computer game by appealing to rebelion... in a world which is in the state it is right now. I am deeply offended. They should have stuck with fantasy and Jeremy Soule, not this "fight the system buy our game" exploitative hypocritical crud.

What's the message of this trailer? Watch out, Blizzard's agents are gonna try to off you if you buy GW2? Oooooh soooo edgy, like i'm really sticking it to the man now lol. Look at me I'm playing a pc game, nya, nya, nya. I'm so dangerous lol.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Regarding the scenes...I don't understand why people are confused as to their inclusion? The trailer tells a story of people rebelling against the norm and rising up to take fight in a new kind of world.

as i mentioned earlier

a similar commercial worked for apple back in 1984, Apple got many awards for it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_%28advertisement%29

not sure its as effective now tho

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    Gas mask + graffiti + youth - rebellion
    Gw2 - rebellion

U guys are dense lol

Super casual friendly game aimed at the mainstream crowd = rebellion?

Ummm ...ok. Nothing to see here but a WTF trailer.

time to return to the Zergfest

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

You are watching the Ad wrong ... you just don't get it .. It has to be viewed with a certain mentality ...

:p

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by IceAge

Trailer is nice! I like it! And pretty much what this guy from youtube said :

I got it!

First 40 seconds are about how MMORPG genre stood completely still. Continues with graffiti part - making same mistakes again and again. Then comes quote "For those who hoped for better world, the time is now to open our eyes" - we all know? what does this mean. :) Then "To rise up" and this is clear, that we all want something new. Walking on hot coal - trying something new. AND ZHAITAN! RAWR!

i understood it and the trailer was reminiscent of apples 1984 trailer for macintosh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R706isyDrqI

i still didnt care for it

Running with a sledgehammer looks more like GW2 to me than Parkour in the first one :)

Definitely get TSW vibe from both videos more though.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

What's the message of this trailer? Watch out, Blizzard's agents are gonna try to off you if you buy GW2? Oooooh soooo edgy, like i'm really sticking it to the man now lol. Look at me I'm playing a pc game, nya, nya, nya. I'm so dangerous lol.

Well I thought at least that part was pretty obvious, given ANet's mission statement.  They're not fighting "the man", they're rebelling against convention.  That's what GW2's features list was about from the beginning.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Lame at first I guess; but I thought about it on a deeper level and realized the point.

"We've been frozen for too long."  MMO's are just copying each other. Regurgitating the same content over-and-over.

"For those who dream of a better world." Obviously an MMO that tries to break the chain of repetition.

The scene of the people standing around the pit of fire coals represents the test of will. Will you step in, do you want something new? Or will you give up and go back. 

The water scene might be too complex or too obvious to really get. Swimming through dark waters towards a light; finally emerging.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Requiem1066

You are watching the Ad wrong ... you just don't get it .. It has to be viewed with a certain mentality ...

I lol'd

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Rebellion by trying a new computer game?    

Sorry but that is almost offending and just painful to watch.

One of worst game trailers I saw and I saw alot.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Tattoo being drawn on the model's face when she came out of the water was cool - I instantly recognized "OK she's a norn!" but beyond that... the transition from RL to game graphics wasn't good.

Very underwhelming.

I agree! That transition part was pretty cool going into the game. I just wished they would have used that for the other folks in the commercial. I mean jumping over a fence and spray painting?

I’m going to have some milk and cookies. The revolution started yesterday!!!

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    which zone that boss dragon event is in?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

Tattoo being drawn on the model's face when she came out of the water was cool - I instantly recognized "OK she's a norn!" but beyond that... the transition from RL to game graphics wasn't good.

Very underwhelming.

I agree! That transition part was pretty cool going into the game. I just wished they would have used that for the other folks in the commercial. I mean jumping over a fence and spray painting?

That should have been the opening scene and then gone from there.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Requiem1066

LOL.  Nice one!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

Very underwhelming.

That should have been the opening scene and then gone from there.

My thoughts exactly.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    Enjoying the game, did not like the trailer.
  • MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    which zone that boss dragon event is in?

It's not a zone event. That's Zhaitan just being used ofr the trailer.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    I thought that trailer was more off putting than grabbing me to play, Its a great game, a pity they couldnt come up with a better trailer.
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

An Open Letter to those responsible.

Dear Arenanet, or more likely the chumps at the American NCSoft offices, please fire the hacks you farmed this project out to and do a trailer that reflects the spirit and artistic integrity of the game, and not a cheap gimmick brainstormed in 3 minutes by a college dropout on a napkin during his lunch break, thank you. You know, like every single trailer and preview video you have released for GW2 in the last three years. You have just released one of the best thempark MMORPGs ever made, don’t let the imbeciles in your ad department screw it up.

Yours in Tyria.

Ed. aka Zevni78

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

ARE YOU READY ..........................  TO HAVE SOME FUN?   

Get Ready

these 3 are much better IMO:) strange because they made the "get ready" trailer and thought that, while short, was well done

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by fenistil

SOE EQ trailers were worse

2 partygirls advocating Everquest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr-FkWsvEcg

EQOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-CHG_To7Ag

• CarnafexCarnafex Member Posts: 49

After watching that, they would have been far better off going for a Manifesto like clip, rather than that.  And I agree with the earlier comment, the majority of that video seems more appropriate for TSW than GW2.

But on the up-side, we now know what the eyeball picture from the FB page a couple weeks ago was from.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Terrible trailer quite possibly the worst I've ever seen for a game.

GW1's was right up there with the best that thing is just meh.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by fenistil

SOE EQ trailers were worse

2 partygirls advocating Everquest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr-FkWsvEcg

EQOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-CHG_To7Ag

2 party girls is worse yeah.  Definately.

Second one? No it is not worse. 

Technically it is bad (it is old thou), and bit embarasing to watch, but it does not use cheap psychological tricks like "join revolution" like GW2 or "EQ is cool to play, hot chicks play it too so you might even get to know them".

It says what game basically is about. So no second one is not worse.

• ZoharZohar Member Posts: 673

What WAS that I just watched? Love the game but man...that trailer is epicly bad.