Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is TSW the best MMO ever made?

Comments

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Not even close ...falls somewhere in between Rift and SWTOR

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Siveria

Not really. its just the newest wow-clone out, plays pretty much just like it, nothing special to see here really sadly. I was going to buy it till I played it and relized it was just yet another wow-like mmo with nothing really unique. I got bored pretty fast cuz like most mmo's that have come out since wow, it had to much of a "been there done that" feeling right from the start. I really don't know why people keep saying mmo's are great these days when every mmo is pretty much the same game in a new skin. Its kinda sad too because I had hopes for TSW.. I am just glad I didn't waste 50-60 bucks on yet another boring wow-clone mmo.

Though I do have to admit the setting is kinda nice and diffrent, and I really liked the UI, but not enough good points to TSW to warrant me buying it, not to mention the game is pretty piss-poorly optimized, and the load times are atrocious when you consider the graphics aren't all that great. MMO's have been on a sharp decline in quality/gameplay since wow came out, the devs just seem to be getting lazy. I've pretty much lost interest in the genre until it comes out of this cesspool of wow-cloning its currently stuck in.

You made this same post, almost word for word (or it may BE word for word) in a GW2 thread.  You obviously have no clue what a WoW clone is and seeing you duplicate posts has just made me want to add you to my block list.  I don't like blocking people because they CAN have rare bursts of common sense and make good posts that I don't want to miss.  So I'm pretty irritated with you at the moment.  Please stop posting obvious nonsense.  Oh.....and try to find out what a WoW clone actually IS so that you don't continue to appear to be just a big ol' dingaling.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Its currently the MMO I spend the most time in, therefore in my opinion its the best MMO ever made.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by udon

The other issue I have with TSW is that it has near zero reason to create social groups.  People group up for power runs though dungeons than disband.  Once in a great while people group up to finish a quest than disband.  Any social interaction in the game is short lived at best other than cabals which unless you joined the game as a group are hard to find a good one.

As it stands I very much doubt TSW will be more than a 1-3 month SPG for me.

And since when has this ever not been like this?  If you want social interaction then thats what guilds or cabals are for.  The lack of social interaction in PUG groups has been dpne fpr years not and don't see that changing and really this arguement is retarded.  Unless your in a game say like EVE where communication is paramount. and which even then your doing stuff in a... ZOMG a corperation.  People join up in PUGs to get that dungeon or whatever hard quest that needs to be done then disband afterwards.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by udon

The other issue I have with TSW is that it has near zero reason to create social groups.  People group up for power runs though dungeons than disband.  Once in a great while people group up to finish a quest than disband.  Any social interaction in the game is short lived at best other than cabals which unless you joined the game as a group are hard to find a good one.

As it stands I very much doubt TSW will be more than a 1-3 month SPG for me.

And since when has this ever not been like this?  If you want social interaction then thats what guilds or cabals are for.  The lack of social interaction in PUG groups has been dpne fpr years not and don't see that changing and really this arguement is retarded.  Unless your in a game say like EVE where communication is paramount. and which even then your doing stuff in a... ZOMG a corperation.  People join up in PUGs to get that dungeon or whatever hard quest that needs to be done then disband afterwards.

See DAOC, circa 2002-2004 and you'd  know it's possible for pugs to be social, you're too conditioned by WOW and all the titles that have followed it to realize there is another way.

But I will agree, I don't see this changing any time soon, and the current model you describe is the way things are going to be for the present.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• optykoptyk Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by Mouth

So.

Take a product launch of a new MMO. Look at what is available of tech and market opportunities. Consider inovation and budget. Can you compare a MUD of the 90s to a million-dollar investment AAA MMO like TSW. Not really. So to rephrase then - is TSW the best MMO ever made?

To me it is, but I also believe it will not be obvious to most people yet. Why?

-New generation players treat MMORPGs like console games, they have short attention spans and want everything right away and are willing to pay for it. You cannot pop in and out of multiple MMORPGs, Action-RPGs yes.

The skill system grows and grows on you. Set-ups that crush some enemies don't work other places. Make builds for solo (and its subforms of survival, dps whatnot), grouping and pvp. Its the best skill system I've seen to date, my last favorite was guild wars 1. These are my subjective opinions.

-I agree somewhat. While I love sandbox, and with the current system almost all the pre-made Decks unlock each other as you progress. Although, I'm not a fan of positional/state combat; to me, that belongs in an action-rpg, not a mmorpg (or it needs more polish/flow in TSW)

The world and setting is just immensely original and such a fresh air in comparison to ELVES, MINOTAURS and LASERGUNS. Thank you.

-Yes, the zone maps are actually "alive" and not the normal hollow rubber stamp feel of just random copy/paste of enviroment objects. If you see a car on the side of the road, or a named zombie eating a body outside it's because there is actuall story behind it. Even the atmosphere of certain parts of the maps have different visual effects. A small object you pass on the street is probably a quest/mission object..Shadows move every hour according to the time of day etc etc..

The stories being told, the cutscenes which I usually skip, I don't skip at all. Most of those who play the game know why.

-I agree 100% Almost as good as Mass Effects system.

No false promises. Everything promised about the product is there. No false advertising.

-I would love to agree 100% And I do for now I guess. But let's wait and see if Funcom bends over and makes this great game a F2P/P2W disaster..

Visual look like nothing else in the MMO marketing. Full DX11 with tesselation, there is in my opinion no launched MMO looking better, except arguably EVE which does a great job at what it does (though being way different). On my 64 bit it's super stable, but not so on my other 32-bit 4GB vista where is crashed like four times.

-DX11 mode is a must. While the game looks just fine in DX9, it really stands apart with DX11. I have a ATI HD6850 in 1080p and while the game is fairly stable, the performance on some areas is just piss poor, not to mention the client crashes on every logout when in DX11. I will admit that TSW is motivating me to get the Nvidia GTX660 Ti so I can use the TXAA features.

Crafting. Awesome system, whoever it is somewhat reduced by small polish issues such as the materials you break down (most everything you find you can break down into resources) don't have their quality tier in the name. Hopefully fixed soon.

-Crafting is ok nothing new, it's basically a re-hash of the Anarchy Online Implants system. But I loved crafting in AO, and in TSW it's not horrible but could use some polish for sure. The ability to totally tailor your gear how you want should be a common system in ANY MMORPG, fact.

Social. The other players appear MATURE and FRIENDLY, unlike many F2P games that I know.

-OMG yes. The RP servers are even better, theres no one running around with goof ball names, ie - xXK1LL3RXx, John991, z0mbieKillah etc.. The F2P crowds are just horribad, they breed a whole different kind of 'gamer'. Monthly-fee MMO's always have more mature players who are willing to spend time/brain power on their characters instead of just opening up a micro-store and buying your gear.

The dungeons are the best in any MMO, i'll almost go objective on not be subjective. Please don't slam the dungeons here if you have not played through Polaris or Darkness War (which is even better). I've not played hell yet.

-Have not had the chance to play any yet, but from what I have heard they sound fun. SWTORs Flashpoints and Operations hold the crown on this one.

Replayability. With an almost endless array of skills that can be unlocked and three tiers of difficulty to all dungeons, mkay - there's a LOT of content here. On the hardest tier the boss tactics change, so it's not just a "dmg/hp buff" difference.

-Yup, once again a game tailored for those who know what a real MMORPG is. Not some lazy, no skill, F2P players who just buy all their gear from a store and suck at raiding/grouping.

PvP - Fusang is just awesome. One could argue that world-pvp would be nice in some zones, personally though I am bored of being ganked while fighting mobs - but I do understand those that wish for it.

-Ganked while fighting mobs, love it. EQ1 anyone? LOL. I used to have a yellow post it note on my monitor that said "Bag your shit!!" as a reminder for when I was resting out in the open..

Innovation. The game does SO much new stuff, it dares so much. The genre, the skill system, the maturity. It is clear that the game is built by people who have worked in this industry a long time (Anarchy Online launched in 2001).

-Funcom earned my respect when they launched AO. That game has since went to hell but at the time it was an advanced MMORPG with original features (one of them was player tattoos lol), now TSW is just the new kid on the block and at the right time as well. While some features are very heavily based off of AO, it still stands apart on its own. The mature rating is keystone to the type of genre TSW is. Thank God we still have some old-school MMO Dev's who know what players want; not some cookie cutter WoW clone thats F2P with a P2W store.

The quests: amazing and varied. Really underlining the point above about innovation. Investigations, stories, even EQ quests (Story quests) just telling you to go to a general area and work it out yourself - i love it.

-The fact that we are supposed to use the in-game browser to help research real information from the net while we play is just beyond awesome but also kinda pointless as all of the missions can be looked up on how to finish them or solve puzzles. People will be prone to yelling "Content is too easy, what a joke.." But that does not mean the system is bad, its very fun.

Funcom is an independent developer. They don't have the marketing muscle of LucasArts or Blizzard.

-This is a good thing. What TSW offers right now is way better then some 1-4 year old MMO's I know of and play. A big budget MMO with a known IP just means more crap in their micro-store, greedy dev/publishers and content shortages.. (see STO or SWTOR)

In sum - to me, TSW is the best MMO ever made. Strong words, I know. Saying that does make my MUD, Everquest and Ultima Online heart bleed, cause all of them so so damn innovative too, and also sparked the same in me, love-wise, as TSW does. The feat of TSW today is what it is. A feat that moves the MMO genre forward.

-I'll say it is the best MMORPG out there right now too. Old-School MMORPG Developer, sandbox skills, DX11 features, CONTENT, CONTENT, monthly-fee or lifetime subs, micro-store with ZERO stat items. They know how to do it. People fling around "MMORPG" too much since some games have went F2P. To me, a real MMORPG is a game like TSW or EVE. Games like STO, SWTOR, LOTRO etc are F2P failures and left the MMORPG arena when they switched over. Even EQ2 jumped ship now..suprised SOE was that quick to let EQ step down as a MMORPG keystone.

Thank you.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    There is nothing fun about it imo so no it is not.
  • Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

I like TSW for its setting and the investigation missions thats it. I only like the setting from an idea standpoint, i think they failed horribly in implementation. Its very odd when every single npc you talk to seems to know more about the *secret" world then you do. They could have done so much with this setting but just dropped the ball.

As for everything else in this game its pretty standard. Even Fusang isnt all that impressive given it really has no meaning to it. The ability wheel is just a massive unnecissary grind. Its more a slap in the face to a true skill system then an actual attempt at a skill system.
    I admit the last boss fight in Polaris was pretty epic and fun. But you can only do instances so many timesmbefore they get boring (for me two or three times).

Even combat wasma step in the wrong direction, I mean how do you go from AoC a very skill intensive combat system to a subpar tab target borefest. Animations aren't even all that great to justify the combat system.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

TSW is a great change of pace from they generic fantasy MMO's that dot the gaming landscape.

Is it the best ever? There is no need to even go there.

All you need to say;  it's enjoyable to play.

• MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223

By definition "the best mmo ever made" is subjective, you'll get as many different responses as there are mmo gamers. Only time will tell if TSW can hold it's own in the genre. Will they create an innovation that other games will copy, I have no doubt, every game in the genre has contributed something unique. 

Can only take the wait and see approach to any new mmo, and you are the only person who can dictate whether or not it's to your tastes.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Not for me... :(

Had all elements i liked but simply didn´t grow on me.. found gameplay extremely boring.

It´s all about tastes i guess... glad some people are enjoying it though..

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

This game is the ruin for funcom....

The game itself is not bad at all, but with less then 200k sold copys , funcom will not ba able to support it long.

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

I can honestly say that after all the MMO's that I've played, The Secret World is the most original game I've played since EvE.

Enemy AI and combat?  Seriously? Folks, do you realize how much bandwidth it would require to be able to code this for an MMO?  You want that stuff, pull your network and play a solo game.  And how many games allow you swap active and passive abilities when the situation dictates?  The more you play, the more active and passive tools you have in your skill toolbox.  The more you level,the less time you spend LFG.  Think about that.

The stories are unique, the setting is unique, the skill wheel is unique.  The only time I could ever need to roll an alt is if I wanted to play someone on a different faction.  If how I'm playing doesn't make me happy, I simply start another skill.  I don't have to delete characters or roll an alt for want of play style.

PvP is fun and the rewards are great.

This is the FIRST mmo where I customized my character and their appearance STAYED THAT WAY, unless I WANTED to change it later.

Customer service has been fantastic.  Any problems I've had have been addressed within the hour.

I'll admit that the interface in the game could use a little tweaking, but that pales in comparison to what makes this game great.

Folks, this game released FLAWLESSLY, and you still pick at it.  Try it, give it a chance, you'll like it.  Heck, it's only just begun and it has more content than most MMO's at launch. 

"Not for me... :(

Had all elements i liked but simply didn´t grow on me.. found gameplay extremely boring.

It´s all about tastes i guess... glad some people are enjoying it though.."

I'm curious as to how long you played?

I'd be the first to admit a three day free trial is nowhere NEAR what you need to get hooked on this game.  14 days at least to get in there and figure out the differences between this game and others.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    PvP is a mess, Fusang is just plain crap. What are you talking about?
    Originally posted by Sideras
    PvP is a mess, Fusang is just plain crap. What are you talking about?

Do you even know how the PvP works in this game?  I'm thinking not.

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277
    I LOVE TSW, but until there is something to do other than nightmare mode dungeons over and over again, I can't agree with it being the best ever. The game has its flaws, but with a little love from the devs it can go a long way. If they add a couple fluff things to occupy my time I will be back in a heartbeat.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's got the best quests / levelingever
    Probably got the best dungeons ever too, though not many of them
    A good progression system for a themepark, as it has more in common with sandboxes like eve and uo.

But best mmo no way.
    You've got all this originality while leveling, but end game unfortunately they bottled it and went the wow clone route, especially with the token grinding style of pvp.

It's a shame pvp was quite fun in beta when we were all artificial geared for it and only actual pvpers bothered with it.

Best current pve mmo - tsw
    Best current pvp mmo - eve
    Best current all round mmo - gw2
    Best of all time - daoc (but badly supported since ea took over, exploiting is rife)
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Binny:
    it works like wow - gear > build > twitch skill > strategy

It should work like gw2 - strategy > build > twitch > gear
  • optykoptyk Member UncommonPosts: 15

TSW is it's own beast in my eyes. I dont think it really fits into any kind of category right now. I will say, that it's NOT a pick up/put down console type game. If you see the skill wheel and only think "ugh grind fest", then maybe a easier quick pick up type game is more your style. TSW is a book that requires reading..

I can jump into TSW for 2hrs and be more entertained then if I was watching TV or a movie (not to mention when i do watch tv/movies i think on how i can go make those characters in TSW..heh) They dont lie when they say there is ZERO need to rush and max out every single skill, hell, you dont even NEED to.

Want to play DayZ but as a persistant MMO with character development? Want to be Gandalf and run around shooting fireballs with a sword? Like rockets and blowing up zombies? Wanna be the characters from Book of Eli? I AM LEGEND? National Treasure? Like Assasins Creed? The Matrix? Fable? I think you get the point.... TSW has it all.

What amazes me more is the community maturity and helpfullness. Its great, I'm all for having fun, but the lame over used internet humor and selfish gear advertising that tends to follow F2P communities, is just non existant in TSW and its so nice. The best dressed person I've seen so far was wearing a shirt, jeans, shoes and some shades; not to mention that could of been his 'raid gear'; how is that not epic? lol

This is also the first MMO where I will help and support the PVP community more then the PVE one. The more people that PVP for my faction, the more buffs we get. Win / Win.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but Funcoms server tech for TSW is very cool, would be nice if other games stole the idea heh..

I hope they dont give in to the lazy whiner F2P crowd though...it will destroy TSW.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Only 200k box sales says no.
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    NO.......................
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    That is a big NO

• MarcelinoMarcelino Member UncommonPosts: 124

The game is absolutly brilliant, I am having a blast experimenting with the different decks and skills.

I would not call it the best tho, I have still yet to find that game.....

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    I think it was the best game of the year and best game in atlest the past 4-5 years.  But no probably not the best game I've ever played.  Its a fun game with a good storyline and fun dungeons that require thought and skill at the end game.
This discussion has been closed.