Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: Our Time is Now trailer

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by rastapastor

srsly...are gamers nowdays so stupid? Can't u see the symbolism of this trailer?

Ppl join together...means u join together ingame to fight the evil

it shows the connection between fantasy and real world

also it has some stuff related to the current mmo market...just use your IQ.

This is art guys...not all are allowed to understand this....sadly.

What is it with some thinking people don't get it? They do...kind of hard not to since it is so obvious.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

srsly...are gamers nowdays so stupid? Can't u see the symbolism of this trailer?

Ppl join together...means u join together ingame to fight the evil

it shows the connection between fantasy and real world

also it has some stuff related to the current mmo market...just use your IQ.

Sometimes art is just crap.  In some cases literally....

Anyway, it's not that we're too stupid to figure out what they were trying to do.  It's just that it was lame and most of us recognize that as such.  Besides, linking the fantasy and real world just doesn't work in a case like this.  It would have worked beautifully in a trailer for TSW, but not GW2.  However, it could have worked if they had used live actors put into the GW2 fantasy setting if they were trying to go the "imagine this is you" feel, which is what I think they were trying to do.

GW2 has nothing to do with modern real life, and definitely not firewalking (is there a mini game I'm missing???).  So to try to mesh the two just doesn't work.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Volkon

I didn't notice it until the fourth time watching it... there's a big dragon head in the smoke that turns towards the camera and opens its mouth.

Fourth time? You being interrogated in Gitmo Bay or something? :P

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I didn't notice it until the fourth time watching it... there's a big dragon head in the smoke that turns towards the camera and opens its mouth.

LOL

Originally posted by Atlan99
    Did they give them a $500 budget to shoot the trailer?

As someone who is admittedly not artistic in the slightest (outside of music), I can still say that I would have done a better job than that with only a $500 budget.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Eir_S

LOL

Just decided not to completely judge it on one view where I didn't know what to expect. Now I'm catching things I didn't notice.

The spraypaint, for example, it starts being written on the wall but the latter part seems to be written in air.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• xxxxxx1xxxxxx1 Member UncommonPosts: 105

I'm convinced that Anet (or NCsoft) must've hired an advertising firm to do this trailer. However, it still bothers me that Anet saw the trailer and approved????

This has gotten to be the worst MMO trailer I've ever seen. I just don't get it. My real question is: did Anet or NCsoft ever use the focus group by testing the trailer to see whether they like it or not? *mindboggle*

However, GW2 totally rocks!!

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Hahah. Oh my, bold move there. 

I don't know, I sort of like that it's got this 90s dark-yet-oddly-naive vibe.

It's like Max Headroom crashed into Dungeons & Dragons and both decided "it was good". It's like BloodNet and Dreamweb are viable storyteling again. It's like we're actually buying into the movia "Hackers".

Meh, I just miss the 90s a bit, I guess. Good music, good books, good movies - and definitely good gaming! :)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Well if there's any proof that GW2 fans don't immediately praise everything ANet does, it'd be this.  Not everyone hates it, but almost.  As a fan of any game, I want new players to be brought into the game by showing them what it does or doesn't do, not people spray painting a wall.
    Oh duh, now I see it. Earth (statue), Air (spraypaint, writing in air), Fire (obvious) then Water (also obvious).

Oderint, dum metuant.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    -snip-

Art has no place in the mainstream where people look up to the Kardashians, Teen Moms, Jersey Shore, and such.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

LOL

Just decided not to completely judge it on one view where I didn't know what to expect. Now I'm catching things I didn't notice.

The spraypaint, for example, it starts being written on the wall but the latter part seems to be written in air.

While I think subtle aspects like that can be very cool, they generally don't work with advertising.  How many people are going to watch a commercial over and over?  Especially if they don't have any knowledge or interest in the game?

To me, those subtle things work great in picture art, music, and movies that you might be inclined to consume repeatedly.  Commercials rarely, if ever, fall into that category.

So, if that ad is really to get new people to buy the game, I call it a fail already.  My earlier idea about showing off the beautiful world and great gameplay would be generic, but much better suited to that purpose, I think.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Oh duh, now I see it. Earth (statue), Air (spraypaint, writing in air), Fire (obvious) then Water (also obvious).

Come on, now, I can see right through you... Your nickname being Volkon and your avatar a kitty walking on water, it's obvious you're just jealous of the guy walking on fire! 

May I say "element-envy"? :P

• nihenahnihenah Member UncommonPosts: 6
    The game is actually pretty pretty good, the trailer not so much.
  • Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Funcom thanks Anet for the free advertising ...

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    I think it honestly must have been targeted at 13 year olds with the stupid spray paint crap.
  • MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

So, this is the Elementalist trailer? image. BTW, Volkon, thanks for that post abou the smoke dragon. Just saw it.

Also, i can understand the idea of people starting the revolution and whatnot. The guy incased in stone actually made some degree of sense because it felt like he was a gamer.

But, a random girl, gas mask and nose pierding doign grafity in the night? A bunch of teens walking on hot coal? A chick swiming underwater? This, IMO, is what's wrong is not artistic at all. It actually feels like it's trageting a bunch a tweens trying to be "cool" and "edgy".

Oh, well, atleast i agree with others that the game is good, fro what i tried in beta.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    that was...odd... not sure i see what the point of doing the live action part was at all...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I'm thinking ANET should just stick to letting the fans get the word out.
    Originally posted by evolver1972

LOL

While I think subtle aspects like that can be very cool, they generally don't work with advertising.  How many people are going to watch a commercial over and over?  Especially if they don't have any knowledge or interest in the game?

To me, those subtle things work great in picture art, music, and movies that you might be inclined to consume repeatedly.  Commercials rarely, if ever, fall into that category.

So, if that ad is really to get new people to buy the game, I call it a fail already.  My earlier idea about showing off the beautiful world and great gameplay would be generic, but much better suited to that purpose, I think.

I agree it's too subtle for an ad, if that's what it is. At two minutes long it won't be airing on TV. What I'm seeing now:

Maybe... earth, breaking free of the old... air, rebelling against the old... Fire, trying something new, introduce the dragon in the smoke... Water, emerging into the new?

Then Zhaitan to make you poop yourself.

Yeah, too subtle for an ad or even a trailer. Taken out of that context I like the messaging behind it.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Personally I'd have left the beggining until 00:36 (the man turned to stone analogy can work) then skip to 1:21 (woman swimming and then coming out of the water), and left the rest of it out.

The beggining might work as an interest opener, and I really liked the woman coming out of the water, disolving to the in-game characters walking out of the water - Zaithan appearing - characters charging - zaithan flyby. The rest of the live action sequences just felt out of place, specially the girl with the graffitti and the gas mask. Actually, I do belive the gas mask was a big thing of me finding it out of place, since I was playing TSW before GW2, and gas masks are a big part of the illuminati uniform.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Poorly made stab at WoW's hegemony over the genre. Dripping with pathos and cheaply exploitative. I love the game but am deeply disappointed with this crap. They should sue whoever they outsorced this thing to.

They have a great game and they should have stuck to that. Wtf are they blabbering about some revolution/occupy whatever thing? That'll leave gamers puzzled and angsty youth offended (as well as the rest of us pissed about real world problems.) Utter fail. It's like using hunger in Africa to sell a Restaurant tycoon game...

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

Yeah, too subtle for an ad or even a trailer. Taken out of that context I like the messaging behind it.

I disagree .. I only agree they got the earth segment right .. then it should have been .. Washing away the old ( water ), The wind of change ( air ), and rebirth ( Fire / Phoenix) ..

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Brilliant. ArenaNet nailed it. If I were to see that on TV, it would have grabbed me from the first few seconds. It is completely different to any other MMO trailer I've seen, and if I didn't know anything about GW2 it would have piqued my interest.

If anyone has watched Caprica (the prequel to Battlestar Galactica), then perhaps the best way of describing this trailer would be equating it to holobands. The immersion they're hinting at is one and the same.

Regarding the scenes...I don't understand why people are confused as to their inclusion? The trailer tells a story of people rebelling against the norm and rising up to take fight in a new kind of world.

Remember - they're trying to sell the game to people who haven't actually bought it, not those of us who have. For me, at least, they definitely would have succeeded in making me take note of the game's name instead of forgetting it a couple of commercials later.

Wait, wait... maybe it's even deeper than that... hang on...

Earth, statue, someone trapped in the old mold for too long. Inner fire burning to break free, begins to break out...

Air, freed and escaping. Sirens in the background. Open defiance against the old system with the spraypainting. Text written in the air.

Fire. New challenge, dragon in the smoke makes him hesitate, like minded people come together giving him the strength/courage to proceed

Water, freed of the old ways, emerging into the new to immediately face and take on the challenge.

Hmm... something like this...

Oderint, dum metuant.