Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hum.. where have I seen this before?

expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
So I saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmua96QycDM video (spoliers), now where have I seen that before in an MMO?  I am leaving now.

Comments

• voxnorvoxnor osMember Posts: 121
    Originally posted by expresso
    So I saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmua96QycDM video (spoliers), now where have I seen that before in an MMO?  I am leaving now.

A fantasy game with a flying ship fighting dragons has been used for a long time, and will continue to be used.

By your logic - you should have left the game when you found out it had swords.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by voxnor

A fantasy game with a flying ship fighting dragons has been used for a long time, and will continue to be used.

By your logic - you should have left the game when you found out it had swords.

Or when it had any of the other weapons used (dont feel like making the list)

Or armor.

Or magic.

Or pets.

Or stuff to kill

Or crafting

Or dungeons

Or PvP

Its funny how these things work.

• fischsemmelfischsemmel Member UncommonPosts: 364
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Or armor.

Or magic.

Or pets.

Or stuff to kill

Or crafting

Or dungeons

Or PvP

Don't be dense. General things like this are inherent parts of a fantasy MMORPG. There's a difference between including these things in a new game and including specific fight sequences in that game that are extremely reminiscent of specific fight sequences in other games.

A new game with orcs and humans in it? That's obviously fine.

A new game with a tragic antagonist who is the commander of an undead army seeking to wipe out all mortals? That's obviously going to catch a lot of flak.

A new game with magic in it? That's obviously fine.

A new game with magic that is only accessible by someone who equips radioactive pieces of rock in their weapons or armor? That's obviously going to catch a lot of flak.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

I can't help but quote this bit from that video.

It's about the dwarves in GW2... 

*****spoiler*****

- So they're stuck in a sort of basement and never ever reproduce...

- That's right.

- And they spend all day fighting internet dragons?

- That's right. 

- OK.

*****spoiler*****

Good one there, brilliant catch! :)

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by fischsemmel

Or armor.

Or magic.

Or pets.

Or stuff to kill

Or crafting

Or dungeons

Or PvP

A new game with a tragic antagonist who is the commander of an undead army seeking to wipe out all mortals? That's obviously going to catch a lot of flak.

You mean some jerk stole the "Bad Ash" concept from Army of Darkness?  Or the Witch Kings from LotR?  Or Davey Jones from PotC 2 and 3? 

Let me at those heathens!

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Ah goodie here it is. I was almost worried for a second. Thanks for making the "inane GW2 hate topic" of the day! image
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    I'm just wondering what mmorpg the OP thinks did the airship vs dragon fight first.
    Originally posted by Xzen
    I'm just wondering what mmorpg the OP thinks did the airship vs dragon fight first.

My thought's exactly - i'd love to hear which one the OP thinks is the 'original'.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

My thought's exactly - i'd love to hear which one the OP thinks is the 'original'.

Since I honestly don't know, what's the original?

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Adiaris
    Ah goodie here it is. I was almost worried for a second. Thanks for making the "inane GW2 hate topic" of the day! image

It's comments like this make me wish I had a 'thunb's up" button.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

The game is in English!  It's so unoriginal!   They should have invented a new language, like Klingon or Elvish...

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by MosesZD

The game is in English!  It's so unoriginal!   They should have invented a new language, like Klingon or Elvish...

P'tach Wars 2

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168

That battle was very pretty and very unsatisfying, imo. 

meh. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

GW1 did exactly that in Spring 2005 with their first game -- 3 years before WOW LK

in GW Prophecies, the main antagonist was the Undead Lich commander and his undead armies

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Undead_Lich

The Undead Lich is a powerful undead lord who commands the Orrian undead armies attacking Kryta and seeks to fulfill the Flameseeker Prophecies by obtaining the Scepter of Orr to gain the control of the Titan army and take over Tyria. In order to complete this goal of becoming the Flameseeker, he manipulates various key figures, including the players.

The Undead Lich's true identity is Vizier Khilbron, the vizier of the last king of Orr and orchestrator of the Cataclysm, destroying the City of the Gods while it was being invaded by the Charr.

undead legions is just as stereotype as anything else ..

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    I fought a dragon on an airship in Final Fantasy 9.  I should probably never do it again in any other game.  
    Originally posted by rygard49

The point of my post, and the quoted word 'original' is that it would be nigh-impossible to establish what was the original.

It is a very broad relationship that the OP has implicitly drawn. S/he is stating that the concept of a being on a flying boat and fighting airborn enemies, in this case dragons, is taken from other games. The OP implies this has come from either one or many other MMO's (we can't be sure without clarification from the OP, as the wording could go either way).

The reason for the impossibility of defining a point of origin is the broad topic. We could potentially pinpoint the flying ship to the Flying Dutchmen myth, which would give us an origin of late 18th century. But, we would really just be guessing.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Nadia

GW1 did exactly that in Spring 2005 with their first game -- 3 years before WOW LK

in GW Prophecies, the main antagonist was the Undead Lich commander and his undead armies

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Undead_Lich

The Undead Lich is a powerful undead lord who commands the Orrian undead armies attacking Kryta and seeks to fulfill the Flameseeker Prophecies by obtaining the Scepter of Orr to gain the control of the Titan army and take over Tyria. In order to complete this goal of becoming the Flameseeker, he manipulates various key figures, including the players.

The Undead Lich's true identity is Vizier Khilbron, the vizier of the last king of Orr and orchestrator of the Cataclysm, destroying the City of the Gods while it was being invaded by the Charr.

unlead legions is just as stereotype as anything else ..

To be fair, Warcraft 3 introduced Arthas as the tragic hero leader of the undead army ;).

But still...it's not a new concept.  I'm sure that if you look hard enough, you will find that the Simpsons did it way before any of these games lol.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Robsolf

Or armor.

Or magic.

Or pets.

Or stuff to kill

Or crafting

Or dungeons

Or PvP

You mean some jerk stole the "Bad Ash" concept from Army of Darkness?  Or the Witch Kings from LotR?  Or Davey Jones from PotC 2 and 3? 

I immediately thought of Army of Darkness too lol.

For those, like fisch, who dont seem to have gotten it. I was being sarcastic. Common themes like this have been used since pretty much forever. I could likely go back and find books from decades or centuries ago, as well as movies recent and old, that have the same exact thing going on as in any portion of an MMO, just with different names or a couple minor details different.

Its a fantasy mixed with a little bit of steampunk thrown in MMO where the main enemy is a dragon. I mean come on... its in the freaking logo! Are you really surprised to see, in a game where airships exist and fit into the setting, an airship fight vs a dragon?

• keitholikeitholi Member UncommonPosts: 140

What the hell are you noobs bitching about? You wanna know the first encounter I ever had with a flying ship in a fantasy environment? It was 1975 and we were playing a D&D campaign.... You people seriously need to get over yourselves for a minute and look a little deeper into the history of these things, before you go spouting off like your some kinda game-guru.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

The point of my post, and the quoted word 'original' is that it would be nigh-impossible to establish what was the original.

It is a very broad relationship that the OP has implicitly drawn. S/he is stating that the concept of a being on a flying boat and fighting airborn enemies, in this case dragons, is taken from other games. The OP implies this has come from either one or many other MMO's (we can't be sure without clarification from the OP, as the wording could go either way).

The reason for the impossibility of defining a point of origin is the broad topic. We could potentially pinpoint the flying ship to the Flying Dutchmen myth, which would give us an origin of late 18th century. But, we would really just be guessing.

Well he did specify MMO in the post, so we can safely rule out all of the other sources for this type of encounter, and focus on just that genre. In which case, the only other game I've played where I've seen that is WoW. So he could be referencing that encounter, which is fairly recent. If there was another Airship vs Dragon encounter in another MMO, I'm not aware of it.

I guess by your post I thought you knew of an MMO before WoW that had done this.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Well he did specify MMO in the post, so we can safely rule out all of the other sources for this type of encounter, and focus on just that genre. In which case, the only other game I've played where I've seen that is WoW. So he could be referencing that encounter, which is fairly recent. If there was another Airship vs Dragon encounter in another MMO, I'm not aware of it.

I guess by your post I thought you knew of an MMO before WoW that had done this.

FFXI did it before WoW.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Hey OP.  Other fantasy games did it before WoW... but I assume you're not "leaving now".  We always knew which side your bread was buttered on anyway, I don't expect your own hypocrisy to open your eyes.  Have fun going back to the melting pot of all generic fantasy cliches.
  • MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

I think the OP is refering to the final fight with Zhaitan and the simiarities with Deathwing, mainly in the sense that both battles are quite poor. Atleast i think so.

After all, air ships, undead, dragons, etc are quite in fantasy rpgs.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    To clear thing up yes I was refering to the WoW fight just before deathwing spine raid encounter.  I can slso see how this post might have across as a bit of troll, wasn't meant that way but an obvervation that I know had the tables be turned people would be up in arms on these forums.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJle_eEfTPQ&feature=related though the GW2 one looks more epic.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Robsolf

I think Conan fought those in the 30s already so it is not a new concept in fantasy no.

Flying ships against dragons is not a new concept either, seen it in Dragonlance from the late 70s-early 80s and I doubt they were first.

Original fantasy is something rather rare.