Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how is the DE-HYPE phase going?

Comments

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    I'm waiting out the first month before I jump in.  Right now, its very difficult to get a true read of how things are going.  One one side, you have the rabid fanbois who will  say that it is beyond their expectations each and every time, and on the other you have the haters who are just passing through to simply check it out for a month (or less).  I figure after the launch craze has calmed down and people mellow into the game, sometime in October you'll get a more accurate poll.

Just google kripp and follow his daily updates/thoughts.   I'm in the same boat.   Wasn't too impressed with the BWEs so I will probably sit on the fence until the initial rush dies down.  

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Zuvielify
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    Given how virtually every MMO fails this way I was still surprised they decided to go with the little/no endgame option. In their case it's B2P so they don't care anyways but I can guarantee far less will buy the expansion because they don't build em to last.

I agree with you here. I gave a soapbox rant the other day on these forums about how people say a game is "all about the journey". When we all know that it's not. You may wish it was, but it's not. When you get to the end and there is nothing to do, you quit. Maybe If that was your intention all along, then you can say it was all about the journey.

Varies per player. Not everyone has the same expectations or find the same things enjoyable in mmos. For some, you are certainly correct. For others, not even close.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

This game is exactly what I expected:  The best, most fun MMO I've ever played.  The most detailed and beautiful MMO I've ever seen.

One thing I didn't expect:  How much my wife has ended up liking it.  I better upgrade her laptop soon so we can play together.  :)

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Given how virtually every MMO fails this way I was still surprised they decided to go with the little/no endgame option. In their case it's B2P so they don't care anyways but I can guarantee far less will buy the expansion because they don't build em to last.

I agree with you here. I gave a soapbox rant the other day on these forums about how people say a game is "all about the journey". When we all know that it's not. You may wish it was, but it's not. When you get to the end and there is nothing to do, you quit. Maybe If that was your intention all along, then you can say it was all about the journey.

If youre at the "end", then there is nothing to do, which is why its called the end.

Works the same in any MMO. What people typically refer to as "endgame" is just another form of gear grind. What happens when youre done with it and have allt he best possible gear and have done all there is to do? You get another game, or continue doing the same thing as before but with no progressionf or yourself. No idea why people act as if GW2 is somehow the only game that does this.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Above expectations.

The game is a sublime series of 'moments' that cannot really be explained to those that haven't played it or won't give it the time to unfold itself to them.

A lot will consume it in a straight line and then move on, bitching loudly along the way, but to those that let it breath it, IMO, excels.

I can sort of relate to this.

My intention and expectation of this game is simple, There are 3 other people I know in real life, we formed a small guild and our plan is to take this game together 1 zone at a time. We have a blast. There are no goals other than to set out and see what happens. We get as far as we get, levels and gear don't matter, It's just fun to do "GW2" Honestly, it's th emost fun I've had in an MMO as far back as I can remember. 

But to log in by myself? No, not really doing it for me.

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405

It has definitely exceeded my expectations.

I played in a BWE, but just to try all classes/weapon combos, so I knew what to expect but it has been far more fun/rewarding for me since I'm focusing on just one class.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Loke666

GW2 made me look at WoW again after almost 2 years. Gross, I know.

It's not that GW2 is bad. It just made me miss having a lot of buttons to push...shinies! And the trinity, since I played holy priest.

Dancing around in combat while your auto-attack destroys things gets a little old. Yes, yes, I use other skills, but the auto attack does the bulk of the work. It's an interesting spin on mmo combat, and I like some of the direction it's gone; like how important movement is. However, I think it will take more games with similar ideas to get it totally right. 

I guess we differ there, and auto attack just stands for about 10% of the damage both with my thief and warrior, maybe even less.

Someone of us 2 is playing the wrong way if your auto attack is 90% of your damage and mine is 10%, I wonder who?

Yeah, for me auto attack is just filler while I cycle through my real skills.  It's just a way for me to keep locked onto a target.

Also Zuvielify, you do know you can turn off auto attack, right?  That way, you don't have to worry about it getting old.  You can push buttons to your heart's content.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I still hate you all that have been able to settle on a single character.

Originally posted by BadSpock

You mean between my 35 Warrior, my 21 Ranger, my 25, Guardian, my 10 thief and my 10 Engineer?

Yeah, I got this narrowed down.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I finally settled on Mesmer after getting 5 characters to 30 haha.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Me too :(.

I have a 36 warrior, but I keep dabbling in other profs constantly, and can't seem to stick with one.  My cousin's guardian is already level 68, he makes me sick lol.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by Creslin321

Me too :(.

I have a 36 warrior, but I keep dabbling in other profs constantly, and can't seem to stick with one.  My cousin's guardian is already level 68, he makes me sick lol.

I'm curently the highest level in our little band of roamers at 35, well, sometimes, 25......and once it was 21. Well, anyway. I don't feel in any way jealous of someone who's higher.  When they come t our zone...they aren't really.

I think levels are almost pointless except for unlocking skills and opening zones you couldn't do, but even then, you are still relative to that zone the same way you are relative to a lesser zone.

I like this. Because it allows me to run around with our group and not be tied to one alt or restricted from another because of levels.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'm like a kid in a candy store though -

I see a Charr Enginner, I want to make a Charr Engineer.

I see an Asura Thief, I want to make an Asura Thief.

I just want everything - like a Mesmer I really want to roll.

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Varies per player. Not everyone has the same expectations or find the same things enjoyable in mmos. For some, you are certainly correct. For others, not even close.

You're right. I sounded like I was speaking for everyone, and I shouldn't. However, I think the majority of the mmo consuming masses fit into my category. I could be wrong, but past game history says otherwise. No endgame, and the game hemorrhages players

THe good news is, Gems are now 18s/100 so you can probably start opening slots p without even spending money.

(If the cost of gems keeps dropping, I'm going t o trade in all I have for gold and hold onto it and buy more back later)

I'm glad you're enjoying it, Spock. Your enthusiasm for the game was part of the reason I got interested in the first place. I'm glad it's living up to your expectations. Seriously, no sarcasm

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Overall so far has exceeded my very high expectations... Minor annoyances but overall more than lived up and exceeded what I was expecting

Same here!

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Like going back to work after honeymoon.
    Originally posted by evolver1972
    snip

Also Zuvielify, you do know you can turn off auto attack, right?  That way, you don't have to worry about it getting old.  You can push buttons to your heart's content.

Well, yeah....but for some reason, I think it's not exactly what I had in mind. Then I'll just be playing Rift and spamming one macro button over and over. 

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Above expectations.

The game is a sublime series of 'moments' that cannot really be explained to those that haven't played it or won't give it the time to unfold itself to them.

A lot will consume it in a straight line and then move on, bitching loudly along the way, but to those that let it breath it, IMO, excels.

I can sort of relate to this.

My intention and expectation of this game is simple, There are 3 other people I know in real life, we formed a small guild and our plan is to take this game together 1 zone at a time. We have a blast. There are no goals other than to set out and see what happens. We get as far as we get, levels and gear don't matter, It's just fun to do "GW2" Honestly, it's th emost fun I've had in an MMO as far back as I can remember. 

But to log in by myself? No, not really doing it for me.

I get that. It is a great game to share with others... lotsa funny and 'wow' moments to talk about :)

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by BadSpock I'm like a kid in a candy store though - I see a Charr Enginner, I want to make a Charr Engineer. I see an Asura Thief, I want to make an Asura Thief. I just want everything - like a Mesmer I really want to roll.
    THe good news is, Gems are now 18s/100 so you can probably start opening slots p without even spending money.

(If the cost of gems keeps dropping, I'm going t o trade in all I have for gold and hold onto it and buy more back later)

I wonder if it varies between servers, it's 27s for 100 gem today.

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146

It's much better than i thought it woukld be, I am enjoying myself so far. i haven't played but an hour or two a day and i do not feel in a hurry to level yet. my highest toon is 15, close to 16. i wish they had given us a few more slots so we could play one of everything. for me it's a great casual game.

I will proably play this long term on and off 

Originally posted by sookster54

Originally posted by BadSpock I'm like a kid in a candy store though - I see a Charr Enginner, I want to make a Charr Engineer. I see an Asura Thief, I want to make an Asura Thief. I just want everything - like a Mesmer I really want to roll.

I wonder if it varies between servers, it's 27s for 100 gem today.

Interesting. I assumed it was universal across the game, but I just checked. 18/19/21 are the listed market values.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb
    Originally posted by Metentso
    Please chose...

Still not out of the "Honey Moon Period" which is on average 3months. After that we'll see, but so far every single one of my multi-game members of our guild have stopped playing save for me and 1 other (of 36).

I don't even find that slightly believable having read the following:

Top complaints:

-Games is too easy.

-No point once you hit 80 other than repeating the same tired dungeons, or zone events that get boring to repeat over and over.

And what themepark is any different if that's how you're going to play the game?   You do have choices about what you do once you hit Level 80, but if you pass on those choices it's your fault, not the game's.

-WvWvW is a massive zergfest, and player skill plays no part in victories.

Your lack of skills does not make this so.  Small teams of coordinated players can easily defeat larger zerg fests and control maps.    When I saw a zerg coming my way Iin beta, I thought "Oh, good for me, a farming opportunity!"

-Crafting is worthless when dropped is infinitely easier & better to obtain.

That's not true.   Despite 6-characters roughly the same level (high 20s, low 30s), I've found that without crafting I have main-weapons and armor way under-leveled just because the drops didn't go my way...     Shields seem to really vex me.   It's routine for me to not have a shield within 5 levels drop.    And at every 5th level  craft step: 15, 20, 25 ...   I find the crafted gear to be, in most slots, better and rarely poorer.    I seldom carry-over more than a few pieces at each step.

As I progress and get close to the next step, I might be 70% drop vs crafted on a good day.    But come the next craft-step, and I'm back to mostly crafted gear.

-Replayability is extremely low as after the first two toons you've seen it all and tired of it already.

Most everyone that says this hasn't 'seen it all' or 'done it all.'   What they really mean is the followed the heart/DE/zone path then did quick clears to get 100% map/skill points.    There are at least one or two hidden things in every area.   

Further, between two humans in beta, two humans in live, when I go back to Queensdale for map-completion/skill point bonuses, I'm still running into new DEs.   I really wouldn't have thought that possible seeing as I've run two beta weekends in Queensdale plus all this live -- two humans, my Norn, plus two Sylvari  and a partial completion with my Asura and I still hit a new DE in Queensdale last night.

There is simply no way you 'saw it all' or have 'done it all.'    I doubt you've done 30% of the DEs.   There are that many of them.  

In fact, I have a fairly comprehensive DE list for Queensdale.  http://www.ign.com/wikis/guild-wars-2/Queensdale   There are 31 chains in that area.   Of those chains, there are still 5 I haven't done.    Eight times I've run the heart chain, plus explored, plus done every DE I've run into. 

And there are still 5 I haven't done.     Now add in all the other areas...

So, no, your claim of 'done it all' doesn't even pass a cursory sniff test.

-Equipment doesn't change appearance until 30s, and then again in the 60s, then finally at the 80s unless you spam horribly easy dungeons for dungeon karma. Now, granted our guild is used to actually difficult games like FF11, Everquest, Lineage II, DAOC, EQ2 raids. So we're used to being challenged.

Not true at all.   Just from crafting there are three different main out-fits.   You can transmogrify them and keep/swap looks for the stats.    Plus there are drops that are unique, even at the lower levels.

I think at the end of the day if you're not coming from WoW GW2 might just be too easy for you :(.

However, it was certainly worth the $60, but would have failed worse than SWTOR had it been sub-fee based.

I think at the end of the day you're just telling tales because you just can't be happy or accept the game really offers a lot and you're not willing to work for it.   That or you're incredibly unobservant and incurious.  

To make this game work, YOU HAVE TO BE ACTIVELY INVOLVED.

• raven222raven222 Member Posts: 88

Actively playing since day one.

Way over my expectations , the game is all i hoped for.

Keep making it better Anet