Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Missing Component

Comments

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

Maybe that explains WoWs durability, they have cats all over the place. There's the old cat lady selling cats outside of Stormwind. There's the high level cat wandering around Exodar. There's even a cat that sort of thanks you for finishing a quest, a cat named Efsee. (I suspect that's a reference to D.C. from 'That Darn Cat' but with a more profane wording.) WoW has cats EVERYWHERE ! Except underwater.

Ok, cats aside, I think the various games fail for a lot of reasons, but a big one is they don't get the mix right and it ends up being unfun. (I know, lousy English, but what can I say other than English is like a second language to me, but I'm still looking for the first.) With that, people nitpick at any percieved weakness to try and vainly find the magic ingredient that is missing. Truth is, there usually isn't just one as like will all recipes, you must flavor to taste. 

Honestly, I think that's why WoW has done so well for so long. It is fun to a LOT of people. Will it always be top dog? Of course not, but you can ignore the wannabes that keep claiming they are WoW-Killers. When the real mass replacement for WoW arrives, you will know, it will be digital crack to a LOT of people. You will hear co-workers talking about it during lunch. You will see gamestores prominently displaying anything they can get for, you yourself will have the irresistable urge to play it non-stop. It will eventually happen, but it won't be hype driven.

Guess I kind of got off the original subject there. Sorry about that, and hope you enjoyed my rambling. :)    >^_^<

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by GettCouped
    What is the point of this article?

Most of what people say is missing or needs to be added to games to keep them from failing makes as much sense as saying that cats are missing from games and need to be added to prevent games from failing.

I agree with the sentiment, but I'm not sure adding sarcastic cats with bad grammar is going to make games better.

** edit **
    Adding cats makes no sense because they are already there.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

So, you have a cat.  Unfortunately, Pokket, my respect for you just took a dip.....

Anyway, funny piece.  As a Norn, I do have a certain respect for the Charr, but the Charr run funny.  But they are cool in a Lion King sort of way, I guess.  :D

[mod edit]

Once again, don't really understand the need for a mod edit on this post, but whatever....

Anyway, people need to chill a little and go back to having fun with gaming and having fun with talking about it.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I dare you to create a Sylvari called Catnip and run around in The Black Citadel!
  • GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Funny post. On a slightly more serious tangent, I've often read that the psychological insipiration for Dragons (at least how we envision them in art, literature and games) comes from a combination of the cat and the snake.... two of the most prevelant and fearsome predators buried in the ancient mamalian portion of our brains, when we were small creatures seeking the safety of the trees against predation......if you look carefully at how dragons are composed, depicted and move in many works, you can see a good bit of the feline in them...at least I do.

Imagine the combination of a snake and a predatory cat, with wings to fly......can't really imagine anything much more terrifying as a predator to a small mammal.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I'm pretty sure most people on this forum see cats as a food source...

Ya hear that Darth Giggles?

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Cats are good for eating and that is all.. Meow meow is my most favorite dish ever;)

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Everquest has a distinct cat race
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Everquest series has a cat playable race
  • umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by hercules
    Everquest has a distinct cat race

Yes, and Everquest is considered the father of the entire 3D MMO Genre.

SWTOR = No Cats. Dying MMO.

Rift = No Cats. Dead MMO. 

Aion = No Cats. Dead MMO.

Warhammer = No Cats. Dead MMO.

Age of Conan = No Cats. Dead MMO.

Pokket is onto something here!!!!!!!

• ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643

*Steps out of his jacked up hummer*

*Grooms his viking beard hair*

So yeah, I'd like to state the reason most MMOs are missing something, is... well... quite simply because I'm not in the ones you guys are playing!. Isn't it obvious? pshaw!

*Climbs back into his hummer*

*Runs over a black cat*

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    I would take a cat over alot of the people who post on this site. Cats are alot of fun to have around. Cant say the same for some of the people who post here.
  • avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Cats carry and spread a lot of disease. I like them outside though (where they kill vermin).
  • knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

After reading this .. I have to say

Dogs have owners .... Cats have staff

That is all

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

COH had many "cat" characters and it is closing down.  So much for that theory.

• blohm86blohm86 Member Posts: 43
    Not impressed
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Terry Pratchett Cats Quote ~

"If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember."

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    Originally posted by Pokket
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    [mod edit]

It's a good thing all my viewers are strapped to their computer chairs and forced to read this article. Actually, wait, no they are not :P

If you think about it, I mean take like 10 seconds to think deeper than surface value for once, you'll see that I'm talking about how there is no missing component in games. At least not any one missing component, but after a game releases and people begin to assess why they "fail", they always try to look for what it is missing ("oh, it's not f2p", "oh questing sucks", "oh themepark"). They always sum it up to one or two major things, which may be the case, but they are usually missing the nail completely (rather than hitting it on the head ~.^).

Perhaps maybe I am trying to make a comment on that. Just perhaps. I just made cats the missing component, because I like cats... and they are missing. So I blame that.

I'll remove your thinking cap now.

Well people are obviously going to offer up why a particular game failed FOR THEM....which may or may not have some relation to why it failed generaly. It's also probably the case that there is a bit of convient short-hand going on as well. Most posters don't have time nor inclination to write a 12 page study of why the particular iteration of X feature of the game was unpalatable to them.... and why that combined with 12 other things they also disliked made it a no go, so simply saying "it was X" is a convenient (and probably relatively accurate on a personal level) way of wrapping that all up.

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

I was willing to go along with the premis then I recalled SWTOR has cats.  Those cat people, but like a lot of things they didn't get cats right.  Aric Jorgen (?think thats the right name?)  is the biggest wet blanket companion in that game.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Put down the Ketamine!

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Psychow

I'm pretty sure most people on this forum see cats as a food source...

Ya hear that Darth Giggles?

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Ok, so it's a lack of cats that leads to all these MMO's failing. One other thing struck me in this article though. Pokket says many people leave these new MMO's after a month and one of the reasons is lack of endgame.

I think the real problem here isn't so much the fact that a game lacks "endgame" as much as it can be reached in a month. Most don't even take that long with your hardcore levellers hitting the cap during early access, or shortly after.

I'm not saying we need to go back to the days of EQ when you could be looking at 8-9 months to reach the level cap, but a couple of weeks is taking the piss. It's not just MMO's that are suffering from this syndrome. FPS games used to take a good 50-60 hours to complete and now we're lucky to get 20 hours of play out of one.

Call me old fashioned but I really would like an MMO to come out that takes a while to level through. By a while I mean a few months at least, rather than a few weeks. Maybe if the devs slowed things down a bit but kept the content interesting they'd have better luck retaining players.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    Thundercats MMO?
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Thanes
    I was willing to go along with the premis then I recalled SWTOR has cats.  Those cat people, but like a lot of things they didn't get cats right.  Aric Jorgen (?think thats the right name?)  is the biggest wet blanket companion in that game.

I dunno if a bald cat counts as a cat.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Talk about finding the lowest common denominator... "LOL Cats"?

[mod edit]

But on a serious note... what are MMO's 'missing'?  Come on MMOROG.com.  What is it?

Why is it all MMOs are starting to blend into one?

What is the common factor they all have that makes players install and "groan.... (OMG more of the same amirite...)"

Do an article on that.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.