Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was "Awakening" a success?

So, we are about 2 weeks into the release of "Awakening" and my question to you all is- Was "Awakening" a success, or did henrick just "hit the snooze button" for 10 more minutes?

Coming up to the delayed release of this patch there were some predictions from many in the community- Broken Patch, More bugs, failed returning, prediction worsening, features not implemented/turned off, placeholder systems, etc, etc, etc... In other words there was a camp of folks saying that this Patch (regardless of the hype) was going to be the same type of quality (lack thereof) which SV has been giving us since day 1...Others came here and called us names for daring to predict the state of this Patch based on the previous patches.

We were told to "give em a chance" and not to predict failure until we see the product (I am paraphrasing what they said here- they were very rude and used terms like "crybabies" and "not hardcore" and "go back to WoW")

So...We gave it a chance and want to discuss it- But the namecallers have not been back since the patch released... Not even to just pop in and say "hello". Hmmmmmmm......

Personally, I feel the "naysayers" or "haters" were once again correct. Awakening was the same old SV promises and Hype with turned off, buggy, unfinished features which further broke the game. Plus things like the Trade Broker show how out of touch they actually are (when choosing a weapon you cannot "browse" a list but rather have to individually click each individual piece to pull up a sub menu to even view the TYPE of weapon/Resourses are thrown in one big category, etc....)

So, hows that "Town Life"? How is the breeding/genetics system? The AI? The prediction? Tindrem? 

Was "awakening" a success?

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    if it wasnt for the bugs and some rather annoying changes awakening would of been a success, in the lnog run it will improve the game but right now its a failure.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by deathshroud
    ... in the lnog run it will improve the game but right now its a failure.

Sounds like an appropriate epitaph for MO.  After I did the trial recently I am not surprised one bit.  A more incompetent group of developers I have never seen.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

Wish I could give you an honest answer but sadly, I haven't been able to try it for more than 15 minutes.

The game just kept crashing upon login, someone told me this must be a compability issue and since I don't intend to upgrade my computer just to play MO (nor do I have the patience to research some complicated solution), I uninstalled.

The constant patching was also annoying, seemed like every time I tried to log on I had to patch for 30 minutes. I guess it's a good thing that they're trying to fix all the broken stuff after Awakening, but I'd much rather see a bug-free expansion than weeks of constant hotfixes tbh.

Oh well MO is over and done with anyway, even this forum seems to have died as even the most avid fanboys have turned silent.

Originally posted by Biskop
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

Wish I could give you an honest answer but sadly, I haven't been able to try it for more than 15 minutes.

The game just kept crashing upon login, someone told me this must be a compability issue and since I don't intend to upgrade my computer just to play MO (nor do I have the patience to research some complicated solution), I uninstalled.

The constant patching was also annoying, seemed like every time I tried to log on I had to patch for 30 minutes. I guess it's a good thing that they're trying to fix all the broken stuff after Awakening, but I'd much rather see a bug-free expansion than weeks of constant hotfixes tbh.

Oh well MO is over and done with anyway, even this forum seems to have died as even the most avid fanboys have turned silent.

i dont think this forum has ever been a meeting place for MO fanboys, i think the haters just got bored, nothing else to say now its pretty much over.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    @ deathshroud

Not a meeting place, no. But some of MO's most avid supporters have been frequently posting here, defending the game at all costs and attacking anyone with a differing opinion (hell, even GM Theia used to come here a-trollin').

They seemed to have disappeared now, however, and with no one to engage in a flamewar, the "haters" get bored too..
  • username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Awakening + 2 weeks and half a dozen patches later is a success.  Just Awakening at release was a bit to buggy.

Mortal Online has been around for 2+ years now.  It's not going to "fail" anytime soon.

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by username509

Awakening + 2 weeks and half a dozen patches later is a success.  Just Awakening at release was a bit to buggy.

Mortal Online has been around for 2+ years now.  It's not going to "fail" anytime soon.

Well I am not sure how  you define a success but Star Vault appears to be losing money.  The future is bleak for this one.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by username509

Simple fact Awekening has already needed a dozen patches before becoming remotely playable = fail  Perhaps you need to read you own forums regarding how successful it's been.  How much of what  henrik promised regarding Awakening  actually made into game and is working 100% now??? You can't consider something a success by continuely lowering standards.   "oh.. SV said Awekening was going to be a bumpy ride...blah blah blah

I guess you'd consider a chronically  unemployed  40 year old living in his parents basement a success?  (MO is unable to support itself)

Perhaps your definition of fail differs from the rest of the planet

.to fall short of success or achievement in somethingexpected, attempted, desired, or approved: Theexperiment failed because of poor planning.

.to receive less than the passing grade or mark in anexamination, class, or course of study: He failed in history.

.to be or become deficient or lacking; be insufficient orabsent; fall short: Our supplies failed.

.to dwindle, pass, or die away: The flowers failed for lack of rain.

. to lose strength or vigor; become weak: His health failed afterthe operation.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

Been hearing "in the long run it will be good" for this game for two years now.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

no it wasn't.

before my sub expired 4 days ago i logged in Meduli and the only people i saw were 2 afk running on nets. i have never seen Meduli that empty, and especially not 3 weeks after a major patch was just released.

Game just keep getting buggier.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Everything is relative.
  • FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by indiramourn

Sounds like an appropriate epitaph for MO.  After I did the trial recently I am not surprised one bit.  A more incompetent group of developers I have never seen.

To be fair they're not actually developers, and are merely "Scripters" for the engine they're using. More to the point, they're Scripters recruited from the modding community of all things.

I chuckle everytime I hear "Developer" and "Mortal Online" in the same sentence. Though, I did buy the game for release only to be massive dissapoint :<.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

What I find interesting is that Deathshroud put this same Poll on the Official Forums with a few more choices (one specifically for PVP and PVE'ers) on the same day I placed THIS Poll.

For two days it sat there and at last look almost 100 people had responded.

The verdict? less than 6% (at my last look) said MO was a success on the Official Forums. I would link the Post but after two days it seems SV has pulled it.

EDIT: Those who claim that Awakening was a success (seems there are a few here) would you be so kind as to tell us WHY? What made this Patch so great for the game? 

That is SO odd that they left the Poll and the discussion up for two and a half days and THEN pulled it? Why would that be? Surely it would have stayed in view if only 6% thought the game was a failure- BUT since ONLY 6% (of about a hundred people) thought the Patch was decent- It was pulled . 

Deathshroud, I know you have defended this game ( quite maturely , in fact- You have never resorted to "attacks" like many others) but I would also like to know how YOU personally feel about having your thread deleted after two and half days (long after SV had seen it and left it up)- Isnt it odd to delete your thread ONLY because the Poll said the game was a failure?

in the past it might of bothered me, but right now i dont think it really matters. No amount of damage control can save the game anymore. it isnt the fans or the players or the haters that are killing the game, but they themselves.

Im not gonig to say that MO is over because it always seems to maange to survive just about anything up to now. But with games like warz, planetside2, mechwarrior online and many none mmo games on the horrison i think my MO gaming time might be over.

As to why i think they might of pulled the thread. Probably because they werent expecting such a negative amount of feedback from their expansion when i first posted it and not until they seen the response did they feel the need to pull it.

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

To be fair they're not actually developers, and are merely "Scripters" for the engine they're using. More to the point, they're Scripters recruited from the modding community of all things.

You've got your terms wrong. MO aside, being a developer has nothing to do with what tools you use. If you're making a game, you're a developer, period. It doesn't matter if you use scripting, an existing engine or mod a game. 

However there is indeed a difference between a scripter and a programmer.

Originally posted by Toferio

You've got your terms wrong. MO aside, being a developer has nothing to do with what tools you use. If you're making a game, you're a developer, period. It doesn't matter if you use scripting, an existing engine or mod a game. 

Everything's  relative.   Some might consider a monkey throwing poop against the wall an Artist. 

Originally posted by Hancakes
    Originally posted by Toferio

Everything's  relative.   Some might consider a monkey throwing poop against the wall an Artist. 

It's not "relative". Terms are terms. 

I find it fascinating that over 25% have said that Awakening was succesful- Especially considering the 6% (out of over 100 polled) who said it was a success on the MO official Forums.

So, on the Official Forum 6% feel "Awakening" was a success and on MMORPG.COM a whopping 25% say the same- And yet none of that 25% will actually explain WHY it was a success.

Those who say it Failed have listed a myriad of reasons. I am curious to undestand how anyone could HONESTLY say this Patch was a success. With nothing really working as intended, the same terrible AI (which was the point of this Patch, right?) bugs in everything- How can anyone Honestly claim "success"?

To me, this proves without doubt that there are at least 25% of people who Troll this forum and throw honestly out the window to support this game BLINDLY... I understand being a fan, enjoying the game and forgiving its faults- But to consider this patch "working" is such a stretch that (as has been said) only 6% on the Official Forum felt this way- Is dishonest... Unless you can at least explain WHY without merely voting in this Poll and remaining silent about "awakening".

I am pretty sure I know where that 25% came from and do not really expect any sort of explaination or discussion- Just slightly dissapointed that even now there is a group dedicated to lie and mislead for a few more (possible) subs.

doesnt mean fans said it was a success, it could of been anyone including people who have never played mo just to troll you.

doesnt mean fans said it was a success, it could of been anyone including people who have never played mo just to troll you.

This is true- But I am pretty sure it has more to do with the "Focus group" or whatever which stated they would be hitting Forums and trying to drum up support- That and probably some Mods, GMs from MO who occasionally make the rounds here incognito.

BUT, you may be correct- It was never a "scientific" Poll, LOL, to begin with. 

Honestly I knew this Xpac would be a bust but hadnt a clue how BADa state  they would let this one be released in- Seriously, I expected BAD but not to this degree. They HAD to realize that people patience and their promises and "potential" cannot keep the ship afloat when they refuse to change or to even release a working Patch.

-Anyhow, you could be correct. OR the Viral marketing team is ON IT =)

• realnasterealnaste Member Posts: 98

Unless I am mistaken about the poll on MOs forums, I had an impression that most voted, that it will improve the game greatly after most of the bugs are ironed out
    (I was one of them). If it's true, then the surprise is BS and accusations are just another try to stir up shit.

Originally posted by realnaste

Unless I am mistaken about the poll on MOs forums, I had an impression that most voted, that it will improve the game greatly after most of the bugs are ironed out
    (I was one of them). If it's true, then the surprise is BS and accusations are just another try to stir up shit.

The Poll (if I recall correctly) said something like.

Was MO a success ?-

1) Yes- 

2) No but once its patched and working will be a huge improvment on the game-

3) No, worst thing that ever happened to MO and I am a PVPer

4) No, worst thing that ever happened to MO and I am a PVEer

-So 3 choices for NO and 1 choice for YES (yes being 6%).

Poll stayed up 2 and half days before being deleted. Not locked. Deleted. And if you were a part of that Poll I am sure you read the comments which I cannot quote for you since they are deleted. LOL

EDIT: Also, remember this is/was a POLL about the state of the game at the time the Poll was made. At that time Awakening was like 2 weeks old. This was not a Poll about how Awakening will be in a Year or two. This was a snapshot after two weeks of daily patches and the state the game is STILL IN (plus the semi working patches are slowing down as well)

-So Realnaste, could I get your opinion on this issue as it stands? In other words do you feel the Xpac has been a success after the three weeks or so since its been released and patched? At THIS POINT (not once they fix X, tweak Y and add Z ...soon)

Yes and no.
    Not in what you consider a success. At this very moment it is going through usual software-birth-problems that I got long used to with SV. Many months before awakening hit I warned everyone that there will be a need for tons of bug fixes, and through the first weeks it would be wise to not even turn on MO. I was right.
    There are two sides of the coin though.
    There is a long list of things that the community would like to see. So:
    It is a success for anyone sticking to the game if you look at it feature wise.
    Like I said- I was one of those voting "not yet", but on this poll I would be definitely closer to "yes" then "no", because I actually see proof that MO is moving roughly in the direction I would like it to. If I get some more fun out of this project (which already gave me more fun than any mmo out there) I consider the expansion a success. It already did make me log on few more times, but as a patient fellow I am, I will wait a little longer to judge.

All in all: This poll is flawed in my opinion, and comparing the outcome of this one to that one just allows you for over-interpretations like the one stating that suddenly all of SV staff is voting on these polls.

EDIT- Is there a way to see the results without voting?

Too funny, it's the same old song and dance. image   It's always what MO might be someday, never what  it is.   We've been waiting for over two years to get MOs "bugs ironed out" , now theyve created even more. 

Originally posted by Hancakes

Too funny, it's the same old song and dance. image   It's always what MO might be someday, never what  it is.   We've been waiting for over two years to get MOs "bugs ironed out" , now theyve created even more. 

That has absolutely nothing to do with the meaning of my post. If you have a problem with what MO comunity thinks...well...that is your problem.