Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Back to WoW................

1235»

Comments

• mmojunkie5000mmojunkie5000 Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

I didn't want to do it, I wanted GW2 to be my last hope...

blabla

I know now not to prepurchase another MMO because I always end up back on my rogue, ganking at will, under stealth. I'm sorry GW2, you will be a great game for many.... just not me image.

yeah...

sure... the guy who can't PvP if he is seen thinks the game with balanced PvP is his last hope...

keep trolling...

see, rogues are OP and played by people who can't handle a fair fight. why would you ever leave WoW?

ganking simply doesn'T work like that in GW2.

and that's what you do. get uber gear through time spent in the game, then gank noobs from stealth and stunlocking them.

what a hero you are. you exemplify the WoW player PvP attitude.

there is stealth in GW2, but not imbalanced

Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by Badaboom

It's been about a year since I've played the game, and I just got the 7 day free email promotion for ramping up to MoP. I've been debating going back for some time now since none of the new releases have interested me. I'll likely be buying MoP to play the monk class (I'm a sucker for new classes), but this is a great way to see if I'll enjoy the game again.

I think WoW still has more activities and fun than all of the "nextgen" releases. Nothing else is really seems to to gel with me.

To each their own.  I hope you have fun.  I completely disagree with you on the activities thing though.

That's cool. Each game has things we enjoy or don't. All I meant was that WoW has more things that I enjoy than other games I've tried in the past year.

what activities? WoW has none.

GW2 has minigames like Kegbrawl

Originally posted by Krystalmyth
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by Krystalmyth

There is nothing in GW2 that is like my rogue in WoW....

No, there is nothing like the ez mode stunlocking class you're used to in GW2. It seems you will have to return to WoW to feel like you're a good player.

No offense, but this was very pathetic, but expected. World of Warcraft was designed to make people feel really good about themselves with a constantly shifting balance cycle that often made its more popular classes quite broken. You're a product of that. Not sure why you expected a game that strives to be balanced to make you feel as strong as you did when you were overpowered.

It's pathetic that I like rogue? I guess this type of response is to be expected posting something positive about WoW on these forums.

Rogue is one of the most difficult classes to play in arena at high rating.

That's awfully convenient. They sure won't have a lot of trouble getting there at least. Plenty of time to practice.

My point with my post is that the OP was sad that he can't find an equivalent to the Rogue class in GW2. A class designed strictly to take as much control away from an opponent as possible while denying control upon himself. A class that's perfect in any composition in PvP simply by the sheer power of taking the away the mouse and keyboard from a player possibly better than himself, but caught in the net of a class with superior design. Design elements that completely disregard an opponent. The OP is disappointed there is no equivalent to a class that inherently shatters a game so much, that strategies have to revolve around his very existence.

I wish WoW had a meta-game that introduced ingenuity in its PvP, at any level~ but it doesn't. It used to. Maybe~ but it's become a very stale title of fluctuating power that typically has the Rogue in a very strong position or a very weak position because it is inherently a terrible class that succeeds only by being broken in doing what it does best. Fortunately for GW2 there is no equivalent.

Yes, he can go back to WoW if that's what he wishes. That game is DESIGNED for people like him to play it. It is meant to be enjoyed by a group of people who want an easier experience, and an overall sense of worth despite a lower cap in skill. The entire game from PvE revolves around it, and yet PvP is somehow devoid of it? 

You really think Blizzard, the same people who dumbed down Diablo 3 to the point of idiocy~ who have made WoW the laughing stock of the PvE community in MMOs due to its ease and casual nature, will somehow not apply this philosophy to its PvP? The OP favors a game that makes him feel strong when he's not and playing GW2 is a sharp wake-up call, and who can blame him for wanting to go back to the dream? I sure can't. I'll call it out for what it is though. I can do that, at the very least. You're all entitled to play whatever the hell you want.

well said

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by mmojunkie5000

I didn't want to do it, I wanted GW2 to be my last hope...

blabla

I know now not to prepurchase another MMO because I always end up back on my rogue, ganking at will, under stealth. I'm sorry GW2, you will be a great game for many.... just not me image.

yeah...

sure... the guy who can't PvP if he is seen thinks the game with balanced PvP is his last hope...

keep trolling...

see, rogues are OP and played by people who can't handle a fair fight. why would you ever leave WoW?

ganking simply doesn'T work like that in GW2.

and that's what you do. get uber gear through time spent in the game, then gank noobs from stealth and stunlocking them.

what a hero you are. you exemplify the WoW player PvP attitude.

there is stealth in GW2, but not imbalanced

I started a new toon that I have never played before, Paladin. I'm still having more fun than I was with GW2.

Your theory - destroyed. Keep it up though, there is nothing funnier than angery gamers.

• GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547

I am an avid mmorpg gamer and started off on mmo's 16 years ago, have played pretty much every mmorpg out there. Now I am not a wow fanboy by any stretch but the fact is wow is actually one of the most feature full mmorpg's there is. There are many different ways to do pve AND pvp whether it is solo, group or raid and there is a large active playerbase whether in the US or EU.

Now ofcourse in the end if you do not like the game mechanics, lore or style of the game for example, that is just personal opinion which everyone is entitled to.

Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by MrReality
    No staying power in GW2. It is good for the short term unfortunately. Not saying that a 2004 created WoW is the almighty in gaming but it certainly has captured the hearts of gamers around the world. We just need Titan to be better. :)

Titan will be the next MMO I buy, I'm done spending money on MMOs that just don't do it for me.

And that said, if Titan is not the PVP I want, I'll once again return to WoW...

Tell me about  Titan. What's it about and what does it do?

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    WoW still has some of the best PVP in an mmorpg . Its the only thing it still does well though. The rest of its stale and easy . I can understand someone going back for the PVP . I do it for a month or two a year when I'm working away from home (have a laptop that wont play many mmos ) . But for PVE or world PVP its trash . I dont know a lot about GW2 but it seems amazing from what I've seen so far . The good thing for the OP is when he goes back and remembers how boring the bulk of  WoWs content  is he can return to GW2 at any time .
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by mark2123

No one knows, they're just prepared to buy it because it says Blizzard.  Good little sheep, don't run too far from the flock now.  I remember the good old days when you at least had to hear some features or see some video of a game before you sacrificed your first born to it.  GW2 hype will be nothing, NOTHING.. compared to Titan.  It's already started.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Indol

To me it sounds like you weren't ready to give GW2 a fair shake.

I'm sure it took you time and effort to learn how to pvp in WoW, and similarly it takes time and effort to learn another game.

LOL, If the game doesn't capture me in the 1st 5-10 minutes, I rarely go back.  Back when I did play WoW, I didn't feel like I HAD to learn. I felt like I WANTED to learn.

OP doesn't feel like he WATNS to learn what he doesn't know. And TBH, After 2 weeks in GW2, I think most of us know how it's gonna play out. If he doesn't like it now, he's probably not going to like it after he "sticks it out"

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by mmojunkie5000
    Originally posted by Badaboom

It's been about a year since I've played the game, and I just got the 7 day free email promotion for ramping up to MoP. I've been debating going back for some time now since none of the new releases have interested me. I'll likely be buying MoP to play the monk class (I'm a sucker for new classes), but this is a great way to see if I'll enjoy the game again.

I think WoW still has more activities and fun than all of the "nextgen" releases. Nothing else is really seems to to gel with me.

To each their own.  I hope you have fun.  I completely disagree with you on the activities thing though.

That's cool. Each game has things we enjoy or don't. All I meant was that WoW has more things that I enjoy than other games I've tried in the past year.

what activities? WoW has none.

GW2 has minigames like Kegbrawl

You're misinformed. WoW has many and varied activities and minigames. Here's a small list for example, just as proof that it has more than 'none':

• Fishing
    • Archeology
    • Seasonal Mini-Games
    • Darkmoon Fair Mini-Games
    Originally posted by mark2123
    No staying power in GW2. It is good for the short term unfortunately. Not saying that a 2004 created WoW is the almighty in gaming but it certainly has captured the hearts of gamers around the world. We just need Titan to be better. :)

Titan will be the next MMO I buy, I'm done spending money on MMOs that just don't do it for me.

And that said, if Titan is not the PVP I want, I'll once again return to WoW...

I don't know much about Titan, I don't think anyone does. What I do know it's made by Blizzard and even if I don't end up likeing it, I know it will be polished and easy to pick up.

I'm sure there are those who will avoid it for the same reasons that I will buy it, but that doesn't matter to me.

I'm hoping it is more sandboxy than themepark - sort of like WoW. And before everyone gets on my case about saying WoW is sandboxy, it has many elements that sandbox games have; a large open world, many different ways to play it, and a nice variety of classes and class specialites. I think that is why WoW does so well, it is a nice blend of sandbox and themepark.

• ghostfaeriesghostfaeries Member UncommonPosts: 89
    is there even a game out there that has pvp like wow?
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Tibernicus
    WoW does not offer anything that other MMOs don't do better.

what about cute lil panda's?

I miss DAoC

• Bushi131Bushi131 Member Posts: 62

I was definitly disapointed with PvP on my engineer, but after looking on the web I stumble upon a really different build, something I haven't thought of yet.

I did try this new build and after some tweaking I really liked what I was playing.

Just saying , maybe there is some build / gameplay that you didn't thougth of yet.

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572

I'm happy the OP has gone back to the game he loves most, WoW is still awesome, however to say GW2 has no staying power is being way too harsh and its way too early to tell. The game wasn't designed for hardcore-type players who care only for end-game content and get max level in 2 weeks in the most effiecient manner possible. Half of the fun is exploration and finding hidden things. I love the PvP is actually genuinely skill based over gear based. It's tough for some players to adjust I guess.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Tibernicus
    WoW does not offer anything that other MMOs don't do better.

Not true in the slightest. Much of what WoW offers is BETTER than what its competitiors offer.  Play more WoW - and play more fantasy mmorpgs.  Start saying things that are relevant - it might help you in life.

• KoreanSoWhatKoreanSoWhat Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by Tutu2

I'm happy the OP has gone back to the game he loves most, WoW is still awesome, however to say GW2 has no staying power is being way too harsh and its way too early to tell. The game wasn't designed for hardcore-type players who care only for end-game content and get max level in 2 weeks in the most effiecient manner possible. Half of the fun is exploration and finding hidden things. I love the PvP is actually genuinely skill based over gear based. It's tough for some players to adjust I guess.

GW2 doesn't offer exploration. MAYBE you can say GW2 offers it for first 2 weeks. After that, there is no exploration, its all same repeat.

Honestly, I have already moved on from WoW too. I logged in, played a Pally to about level 20, and felt the same boredom I felt with GW2 after a week or so. I'm done with MMOs for the near future.

I don't want to go on another rant, so I'll just link the one I went on last night.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/365011/Its-not-you-its-me.html

Sorry guys, WoW was good to me for years, but it is just not enough anymore. Blizzard already has the $40 I spent on the panda expansion, but I don't care, I'll just skip my weekly weekend pub visit next week to recover the cost.

• battleaxe22battleaxe22 Member UncommonPosts: 303
    I know im going back to wow just to explore a new continent.
  • Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    Originally posted by KoreanSoWhat

GW2 doesn't offer exploration. MAYBE you can say GW2 offers it for first 2 weeks. After that, there is no exploration, its all same repeat.

Lol 2 weeks? You could not possibly explore everything in every map in 2 weeks unless you're playing 10+ hours straight every single day; and even then its really pushing it to say 2 weeks. The maps are huge and packed with loads of little nooks and crannies. And even if exploring isn't your thing, the game still has a huge amount of overall content for the typical player. I doubt you would have seen the outcome for most DEs after two weeks.

There are valid complaints about this game definately and I am not a blind fanboi, but honestly half these people are so accoustomed to WoW and the rushing to end-game mentality and expecting to be hand held everywhere, its no wonder theyr'e bored so fast. They are missing loads of content.

• KoreanSoWhatKoreanSoWhat Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by KoreanSoWhat

Lol 2 weeks? You could not possibly explore everything in every map in 2 weeks unless you're playing 10+ hours straight every single day; and even then its really pushing it to say 2 weeks. The maps are huge and packed with loads of little nooks and crannies. And even if exploring isn't your thing, the game still has a huge amount of overall content for the typical player. I doubt you would have seen the outcome for most DEs after two weeks. It's also really unresonable to expect the game to have the same amount of content WoW has right after launch. There are valid complaints, but honestly half these people are so accoustomed to WoW and the rushing to end-game mentality and expecting to be hand held everywhere, its no wonder theyr'e bored so fast.

it's not about the size of map or number of "points of interest". It is about how they release the contents to the players. (I don't know if you understand what I mean.) GW2's contents are very quickly consumable, and lots of them are identical to each other, which makes nonsense to normal person to repeat similar contents over and over again to 'clear' all the map if anyone actually wants to do so. I am not say other games do better, including WoW. But, speed of consumption in GW2 is way quicker than average so it acually make it's contents look not enough.

I have my own vision of solving this problem that most MMOs have these days, but I wont spell it out here. Cus there is nothing to gain for me. LOL