Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Loving the game but have one moan

chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I don't want to talk about all the things I like in GW2. I love the game (suits my busy RL) and there is enough threads on these points.

My biggest moan in GW2 so far are all the Green and Blue drops.  Within a 1 hour game slot I can pick up 6-12 Blue and Green items.  What does this mean for game play?

• There are 300 of the same item on the Trade post.  No real feeling of 'omg I found something special'.
  • I am crafter at heart but as I am finding so many green / blue items, I find myself not caring about crafting armour etc as its not as good as the drops.
  • Being overloaded with so many good items is not realistic.
  • People stop using the Trading Post as they find all the weapons/armour they need.

IMO they need to make it a semi rare occassion when you find a blue/green item.  e.g. 1 per 1-2 hours if you are really active. This will:
  • Encourage crafters to make items.
  • Raise up prices on the Trade post 
  • Make it easy to sell or salvage gear as you don't have to deal with 24 'good' items.

They really need to scale back drops.  Other games you see 3-6 of the same item on the Trade Post.  Not hundreds. 

Comments

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

Whats sad thou is unless you are a warrior only one of those items you can use lol. I like the drops the way they are personally all blues have the same stats at that lvl same as greens and yellows. It really shouldn't discourage crafters to know that they have a 1:1 ratio of making something just as good or if they can make yellows better then the drops. 

In other games for instance WoW(just off the top of my head) Drops are always better then crafting items. Until WotLK I never crafted and if they wouldn't have introduced bonuses for crafting I would have never even have done it ever. Took to much time to fight over nodes then to just kill a named mode for that rare that 10x better then all crafting items. 

• samuraislyr4samuraislyr4 Member UncommonPosts: 73

I think it's fine the way it is. 

Whites are actually rare which fine to me, as you vender them all anyway.

Blues are decent quality and common, I'd say blues are the new whites in GW2. 

Honestly, I rarely see greens drop. Usually only from personal story quest completion, and in dungeons thus far. 

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    The thing is...theyre not very rare drops. If you found a gold drop every few minutes, then there'd be reason to complain. Honestly the blue and green drops are for vendoring or for extracting for mats. Plain and simple. Or you can use them if you don't have anything better. It's once you start to get gold items that you start to break into the realm of rare. blue drops are almost like white drops and white drops are almost always for salvaging. grey drops just go to the vendor. I think in my time playing ive only gotten a few gold drops, if that.

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

Agreed to a point. The Font of Randh mini-dungeon has a boss who drops around....10+ chests with 3 items in each. That feels more than a little silly :)

In general yes, there are alot of drops and I bet alot of people don't even react to the green ones, let alone the blue. SO crafters need to spend Karma to buy the recipes for the yellow ones. I went all out support on my guardian so I bought the recipe to make a yellow healing mace (well I bought the recipe for an imbued ingredient, but used that to create a healing mace)

I made one extra and thought to myself: sure, why not try the AH. 48 silver later.... and that's for a lvl35 healing mace in a game that has no healers ;)

i think all mmo's suffer a bit when it comes to armor/weapon crafting, specially before max level. You tend to make money with the professions that make bags or and only craft armor/weapons for yourself, or your alt.

But I agree, unless you really want a specific combination of stats on your gear and that perticular combo hasn't dropped, then I guess you wont be crafting much for yourself in GW2- This is for armor/weapon oriented professions, I find myself using jewelry a fair bit.

My biggest issue is my crafting being behind my level. And to raise it I need to gather...and craft, making me go up even further in level. Not to mention all the DE's and stuff I run into while gathering. But hey, now I derailed ;)

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    The issue with gear is becuase this isn't an overly gear dependent game.  I know some people (refering to the usual suspects who will chime in here eventually to tell you "you are not alone, derp!" , and not you) still havn't accepted the mechanics of this game being more based on skill than anything else.  Those mechanics of making gear drop less frequently in other games is part of the way they keep you paying a monthly subscription.  You keep playing a raid over and over or farming an area over and over some rare drop.  GW2 has that type of stuff, just not so much with gear and not to the extent of most other games either. Have you tried going to the mystic forge with all of those drops to actually make something unique or salvage those items for crafting? 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I agree. There's way too many drops and this causes too much supply, and they just end up being vendored.
  • EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

I agree with equipment pinata being an issue, it's my opinion though. This just isn't the game for crafting in the way it should be - equipment should be basically supplied only through crafting, with monsters providing only the materials for the crafting, and rare monsters/bosses providing exclusive materials.

There's just too much equipment being dropped and acquired from quests. Anyway, I am still mid-leveled so I don't know how it works on end game, but I don't expect it to get much better either since there is no kind of equipment decay.

They've done the trading post perfectly though, it is actually too good for the game (I love it). Don't forget that the kind of item you expect to be rare has also a few dozen other sellers but this is the supply from players from ALL servers, so if there's only 50-100 people selling it, it is rare indeed or people just don't bother listing it since there is no demand.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by chryses

I don't want to talk about all the things I like in GW2. I love the game (suits my busy RL) and there is enough threads on these points.

My biggest moan in GW2 so far are all the Green and Blue drops.  Within a 1 hour game slot I can pick up 6-12 Blue and Green items.  What does this mean for game play?

• There are 300 of the same item on the Trade post.  No real feeling of 'omg I found something special'.
    • I am crafter at heart but as I am finding so many green / blue items, I find myself not caring about crafting armour etc as its not as good as the drops.
    • People stop using the Trading Post as they find all the weapons/armour they need.

IMO they need to make it a semi rare occassion when you find a blue/green item.  e.g. 1 per 1-2 hours if you are really active. This will:
    • Make it easy to sell or salvage gear as you don't have to deal with 24 'good' items.

They really need to scale back drops.  Other games you see 3-6 of the same item on the Trade Post.  Not hundreds. 

Economy is player driven so you don't just rise prices on Trade post mate :| I have no idea why some people don't understand simple things like that. Are you one of those people that go cry to goverment when peple don't want to buy 1l of milk for 10$ ? :|

You can turn items into resources and upgrades using salvage tools. Better the tools, better stuff you get. Keep 2 of them in inventory and you will always have it nice and clean.

Now, there is 300 items on TP because people want to sell it. Who are you to decide what people want to sell ? And what, you want every sword to be one and unique ? And what will happen when someone who have it stop playing ? No sword like that in the game for rest of your life ? Also you are not overloaded with good items. Good items are still rare. 

Learn how to discover recipes. Trust me, you can craft better items that you drop in the world most of the time. I know because I run around in crafted items. Problem is - great crafting recipse are not easy to find. I discover many combinations just to learn - there is more. Each item for example can be crafted with different insignia. And that's not everything. Trust me.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

their drops are required to direclty subsidize the crafting professions via salvage kits. You would never get enough cloth, leather, specialized collectibles from just standard bags'o'things you find on humanoids or creatures for that matter (leather). so no they don't need to stop the drops. or lower them.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

It's fine the way it is, gold items don't drop nearly as often and are more rare, sell really well on the trading post even the lower level ones.

Because typically almost none of the item drops are for your class, and if they are then the chance is big it doesn't have the stats that suit your build,  you can salvage them for materials to craft your own of the same quality, but with exactly the stats that you want. If you check what's on the trading post for a particular item you'll notice that certain stats are more rare than others, so crafting those cost little to no effort but is still an almost guaranteed sell.

I think folks wanting an upgrade for their level still rather buy it on the trading post then needing rng luck to get something for their class that also has the stats they want from a mob drop.

One may have a point though if arguing that the downside of the trading post being x-server is that there's so much competition that it drives all prices down and if you don't use the option "match lowest seller" for setting the price you'll likely never sell it unless it's a really rare item. But still the x-server has more positives than negatives imo (I remember low population servers in other games like SW:TOR where there was literally almost nothing on the AH).

• latinkurolatinkuro Member Posts: 121

Hmmm I see the issue, actually blue and green drops are not that rare...!

rare drops would be yellow, orange or red color items, remember this is not your typical mmorpg where blue is better than green and so on. As a crafter yellow gear is what you want to craft and sell as it does have a demand and not such a large supply.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Maybe I am just used to seeing Green/Blue drops being 'rare' in other games and I am just getting too many.  I tend to salvage most now and I am hording craft items.  Might see if I can craft some rarer recipes and see how it goes.  Completely forgot about the mystic forge. Need to look that up!
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Blue items are crap, you should have seen that since they dont even bind on use. Green is not much better and after you get to 35-40 you should only go yellow or better. The rest is more or less vendortrash or salvagestuff.

On the other hand is it the same in most MMOs, or even worse. In EQ2 legendary used to be good but eventually became close to vendortrash,

Just sell the crap to a vendor or turn it into crafting mats,, that is what I do. The good stuff is hard enough to get already.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Maybe I am just used to seeing Green/Blue drops being 'rare' in other games and I am just getting too many.  I tend to salvage most now and I am hording craft items.  Might see if I can craft some rarer recipes and see how it goes.  Completely forgot about the mystic forge. Need to look that up!

From crafting skill 125 you can buy rare item rec from the vendors close to the crafing station (at least in DR) and they are a lot better. As an example I crafted 2 daggers lvl 35, a sword and a greatsword yesterday, and they bring in a rather good price.

You need 15 of the uncommon mat though, and some wood and iron to make them, takes some farming.

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

you lvl so fast in this game so the drops of blue and green are logical for me

you got a good green but maybe one hour later it will be crap for you and need a better one

crafting is not useless since you can make yellow gears wich it last more longer than blue and green

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Waaay too much loot drops in this game. I'm sure intentional.  It's away of keeping profits down. It's much easier to pay 10$ verses grinding 2 gold.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

The drops are messed up.

For instance light armor is far more often white then other armor types. 

But greens depends on level it seems as well. Do something 4-5 levels higher, and the greens drop like flies. Do something far higher (being a twinkie as you glance far to often to fight on your own) and drops seem to become less good.

For instance, swamp Behemoth at lvl 8, crap loot. At lvl 10, wow!. At 15, decent.

Regular mobs as a 26 guardian in a 30-32 mob area, 3 mobs in 1 fight, 3 greens.

Of course, the human being often tries to see patterns where there aren't any. 

For me, it means I have given up on crafting armor and just go to the AH for now for insanely cheap green gear.

Frankly it is a nice change with GW2 and its cheap AH after then 2 million pax for a crafting kit on The Secret World. 

The economy is insane right now but the OP just seems to be one of those pricks who ruined Age of Conan with their wish for bound items because "if rare loot isn't bound, I am not special for being able to spend 10 hours a day grinding an instance over and over".

Right now, mortals can actually buy decent gear on the AH in GW2. I fail to see how this is a bad thing. And blue items can be shared between characters. Even better.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

I don't see why they need to with those considering you can just get those types of items from karma vendors anyways. They aren't that good anyhow. Yellow+ are the items you should be really striving for.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by chryses  Other games you see 3-6 of the same item on the Trade Post.  Not hundreds. 

Well, to be fair - other games don't have every server in a region sharing the same Trading Post.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Well...would you rather be stuck with a level 15 weapon into your 20s and not be able to afford an upgrade on ah, or be forced to craft (not everyone enjoys crafting). Now, if you're looking for specific stats, then the AH or crafting will be the way to go, because RNG is random. I have found plenty of high damage longbows, but then they having +healing when I am looking for +power or +precision, etc. It's actually a nice change of pace from many other mmos. Low level gear is quite affordable for low level characters, and you don't have to have a higher level character to funnel cash into your noobs.

As the amount of low level toons drops and the majority are hanging out in high level areas, you might be able to make better profits from low level gear, but the game has been officially launched for what....two weeks? Yeah, everything will still be in flux.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Honestly, what you can find is nothing compared to crafted items.

If you craft your own stuff you can specialize to specific attributes.

I crafted all the Rare heavy armor sets up to lv80, working on

gathering mats for the Exotic one as we speak.

I vendor and/or salvage all the stuff what I pick up from mobs and

sell the unneeded materials. Usually I loot a lot of normal (blue) and

masterpiece (green), some rare (not that often, with crap stat selection usually)

items - nah, just trying to tell that these items are not that good at all.

OP:

" I find myself not caring about crafting armour etc as its not as good as the drops."

Craft Rares, lvl up your crafting profession to 400, craft max stat exotics = profit.

Continue crafting Rare and Exotic items for experience (lvl up = +1 skillpoint)

Use the skillpoints to craft Legendary items. (Optional)

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Crafted exaotics are better than dropped ones due to the simple fact that you can customize them more. I do agree with you that themepark games in general need to be more crafting focused. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Started to work on crafting again last night.  At the very least XP is pretty decent and a break from combat.  Based on comments it looks like some really good gear can be be made above and beyond heart purchases and drops.  Just need to stick at it I guess.

Thanks for the polite comments, not sure why some people just have to get personal!

I did say I love the fking game, not that, that should make any difference.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Started to work on crafting again last night.  At the very least XP is pretty decent and a break from combat.  Based on comments it looks like some really good gear can be be made above and beyond heart purchases and drops.  Just need to stick at it I guess.

Thanks for the polite comments, not sure why some people just have to get personal!

I did say I love the fking game, not that, that should make any difference.

What? Not a single person made it personal with you. Not sure why you felt the need to go there.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

What it means is that green and blue drops dont mean the same thing as they do in Wow.

You need gear to salvage for certain items.

I still have been able to make sets of gear that are better then all the random pieces I find while leveling.