Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think GW2 will have content updates at the same level of P2P titles?

NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
That is my biggest concern. Being a B2P model do you think GW2 will stick to old GW 1 method of content updates? or did Anet say anything about frequent content addition and maybe i missed the news.

Bite Me

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    not sure but if they do they will probably charge for them.that is how they get there income+CS as well.and expansions ofc.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Not sure.  For me the question is will I find them interesting enough.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Apparently they said they would be adding DEs on a regular basis.

Outside of that? Haven't seen anything myself. Not sure if zones will be included in an expansion of if some could be added ahead of time.

I'm not really sure. Besides pending on the P2P title in question I hope they do better than simply match it. It would be nice to get content updates on either a monthly or bi-monthly basis.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Do you mean like maybe 1 content update every 6 months like the  #1 MMORPG in the market?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I think they will...

Honestly, I would be happy to pay for additional isolated content like dungeons or whatever.  I know they said they wouldn't charge for it (or at least someone said they said that, so who knows lol), but I actually think that additional content is something worth paying for.

I would much rather have the CS sell additional content than gold.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Of Course

They will be milking the title with paid expansions for a long time to come. To do that they also have to throw the community some bones to keep them playing

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Do you mean like maybe 1 content update every 6 months like the  #1 MMORPG in the market?

No something like Rift or monthly updates of TSW. Even if it is small content update doesn't matter. Just curious because i don't want this fun to end ;)

Bite Me

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Nikkita

No something like Rift or monthly updates of TSW. Even if it is small content update doesn't matter. Just curious because i don't want this fun to end ;)

Its funny... both of those games have extremely low population numbers. Guess all of those content updates have been pretty meaningless huh? 

GW2 doesn't need monthly updates and the majority of P2p games update on 4-6 month cycle anyway.

Meaning you pay 60 to 90 bucks for almost nothing waiting for those small updates in P2p...

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Originally posted by Z3R01

Its funny... both of those games have extremely low population numbers. Guess all of those content updates have been pretty meaningless huh? 

GW2 doesn't need monthly updates and the majority of P2p games update on 4-6 month cycle anyway.

Meaning you pay 60 to 90 bucks for almost nothing waiting for those small updates in P2p...

Nice strawman but what has this got anything to dow ith my OP?  if you want to bash Rift and TSW please feel free to make your own topic maybe?

And GW2 doesn't need updates..well i hope you are not speaking on behalf of everyone here.

Bite Me

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

well given the speed the content locusts burn through everything .every 4-6 months may not be enough..dont forget new games come out every other day in this genre.they may just find a new home..the bonus this game has i suppose is no sub.you can go back anytime..but it may end up costing you for the new content.who knows really..i,m sure Anet have a plan..i just hope its a lot better than there customer support.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Kind of depends on your perspective. If you look at the majority of P2P MMOs...then we will never see any content added whatsoever.

If youre talking about 1 of the maybe 5 or so P2P MMOs that actually do add content... Theyve already discussed continuing to add in more DEs and stuff over time to keep the game somewhat fresh. Judging by their history with GW1, and some of the tweaks / improvements theyve started adding in already with GW2, I think its safe to say we will see some decent additions every few months.

Paid expansions on the other hand I think will bring in completely new content. Not in the form of just new DEs, but in the form of additions to PvP content, added dungeons, added zones, bosses, storyline, etc.

For those of you who dont seem to have ever played an MMO at alll... EVERY MMO sells their expansions. This isnt some new scam created by Arenanet to make money off of you. Stop acting like its somehow different from other games that also charge you for every single expansion they come out with.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Patches, special events, some featureslike mini games, new dynamic event chains.

With luck maybe 1 area here or there.

But I expect the big content additions to happen in expansion, which are much better $/content value anyway - 4 months of subs are the price of a very big expansions.

Subs are kind of a mandatory kickstarter.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

No idea tbh. I forsee them going for large "expansion" like updates rather than smaller ones, which may happen and include the DEs that they mentioned.

They have been very good with bug fixes so far as they patch up almost daily, so we'll see!

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

I think it will depend on how much money they pull of the cash shop, obviously, and how "desperate" the game is, meaning, if the population starts going too low, whatever the number may be.

But, content updates will be indeed necessary. It's a themepark and no content means nothing to do, which means go another game. But i think Anet will be somewhat fast regardless. How fast is what remains to be seen.

Patches, special events, some featureslike mini games, new dynamic event chains.

With luck maybe 1 area here or there.

But I expect the big content additions to happen in expansion, which are much better $/content value anyway - 4 months of subs are the price of a very big expansions.

Subs are kind of a mandatory kickstarter.

Yeah even if it just DE's and exclusive events it would be awesome. i also agree that huge content should come through only expansions but anything in between would be great .

Bite Me

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

A-net said in an interview a while back that they will have content updates that add to the game that will come like adventure packs that add new dungeons and such but it would not be something you have to buy you will be able to pick and choose which content packs you want when they do them.

My guess is they will get the game to a more stable play before releasing these I know they also said they have teams working on content updates even before release.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

Nice strawman but what has this got anything to dow ith my OP?  if you want to bash Rift and TSW please feel free to make your own topic maybe?

And GW2 doesn't need updates..well i hope you are not speaking on behalf of everyone here.

The tone of his post may have been off color but he does have a point.

If you presume that you are paying a sub just for content updates, then it is WAY overpriced.  $60 for one more dungeon or whatever is a pretty big rip off.

The point here, and how it relates to your original question is that I really don't think that subs are charged to create additional content.  If they were, then sub games would/could charge much less for a sub, and the traditional game dev model of spending years in development and making your money back at release would never work.  I would bet that most of that sub money doesn't even go back into the game but either gets invested in other things or taken out as profit.

I do agree with you that, like any other MMORPG, GW2 will need updates.  However, I would rather them focus on big expansions than an additional event here or there.  I always feel like I get WAY more stuff in a major expansion than I do in all the live updates that happen in-between expansion releases.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

According to this article from massively from July 20th, so far they plan on adding seasonal events, plus there's a live team that will try to add content at least every month (of course, new content can just mean a couple new DEs or things like that, but still it's new content), and while there's no formal announcement for any expansion, when asked about it they replied that "release was just the beggining"

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/20/guild-wars-2-chat-with-game-designer-mike-zadorojny/#continued

Also, according to this other interview on Kotaku from July 25th, all content created by the live team will be free

Source: http://www.guildwars2forum.com/threads/6074-Kotaku-Q-amp-A-with-Mike-Z-%282012-07-25%29

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    That is my biggest concern. Being a B2P model do you think GW2 will stick to old GW 1 method of content updates? or did Anet say anything about frequent content addition and maybe i missed the news.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/21/guild-wars-2-interview-monetization/#s:guildwars2-16

GB: Subscription MMOs like World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic offer free content updates besides paid-for expansion packs. What are your plans for expanding and improving Guild Wars 2 long-term? Can customers expect any content additions for free, or will they only come in the form of expansion packs?

O’Brien: We’ll have both. Players can expect the same level of ongoing support from Guild Wars 2 as they would expect from any top-tier MMO.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Yes it will. Did you not play GW1?

Edit: Sarrow's Furance is an example

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

They do not have the monetary income of P2P titles, so the answer to your thread's title is no. I believe it'll probably be based on GW1's update schedule as that worked well for them for years.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Originally posted by Nadia

http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/21/guild-wars-2-interview-monetization/#s:guildwars2-16

GB: Subscription MMOs like World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic offer free content updates besides paid-for expansion packs. What are your plans for expanding and improving Guild Wars 2 long-term? Can customers expect any content additions for free, or will they only come in the form of expansion packs?

O’Brien: We’ll have both. Players can expect the same level of ongoing support from Guild Wars 2 as they would expect from any top-tier MMO.

That is great. Thanks ;)

Bite Me

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

They do not have the monetary income of P2P titles, so the answer to your thread's title is no. I believe it'll probably be based on GW1's update schedule as that worked well for them for years.

I wouldn't be so sure...

Remember that making revenue does not necessarily mean that it is channeled back into the game.  I'm sure a lot of that sub revenue is taken as profit.

Also, it really is in ANet's interest to put out more content.  More content means people will keep playing, and the more people playing, the more people buying stuff from the CS.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Hey I am going to post something completely pulled out of my ass!!  And in fancy colors!

We don't know what kind of monetary income they have.  If enough people buy bag slots and dyes and such off the shop they could very well have the monetary income of other titles.  Sure, they wont get the $13 per person of a p2p, but if they get $5 per person and have 3 times the active player base of a game like Rift, well there you go.

We don't have any idea how things will settle.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Heck yes. Only one of like 5 dragons have been introduced. Two entire continents have not yet been released. They've yet to add the crystal desert and the ring of fire isles to this release. So yea there's a lot of content lined up. Whether this content is going to be free or paid is a different story though.