Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the future of this game? Looking for information

WizGamerWizGamer Member UncommonPosts: 402

Hi, I just started playing GW2 after my prepurchased account was hacked and then banned. Lol.... Anyway, the game is pretty cool and seems different in its own ways from other MMOs. I kind of dislike how there are so many other heroes in this fantasy world completing all these group quests with me, but maybe they also scale individually if I get further from the noob zones.

Anyway, I was wondering what the developers were planning with regard to GW2? Expansions? DLCs? Are they going to expand the DE system anymore? There is a lot of potential for emergent gameplay in GW2, and I'm thinking about enemies actually taking over zones and territorial control. 

Also, it'd be nice to see an engine improvement. It runs rather laggy in Queensdale, compared to TSW and SWTOR. Also, my character's hair kind of stretches out behind as I run. It makes it look like real hair, but I'm not sure if it's a graphical glitch or not. In CBT, I remember the hair being more static.

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

the only thing i know so far is that the design of their DE's allows them the freedom to post new content faster then any other title out there because their content is open world rather then dungeon so there's no redesigning of the land involved accept the occasional temporary construct. 

They are planning on adding new DE's however they are working out all the bugs before re-opening the game for digital purchase.

Expansions will most likely be a the year mark.

No news as to whether all new content will be dlc or expansions or not.

"Also, it'd be nice to see an engine improvement. It runs rather laggy in Queensdale, compared to TSW and SWTOR. Also, my character's hair kind of stretches out behind as I run. It makes it look like real hair, but I'm not sure if it's a graphical glitch or not. In CBT, I remember the hair being more static."

I would suggest port forwarding your firewall and setting your antivirus properly that's what caused all of my lag, once i did that it ran smooth ever since their last stress test haven't had that issue. They are working through any server side bugs tho.

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189

The way DE is set up its easy for them to innovate or add new things. The devs have said maybe in a zone there's 100 DEs now, years from now it might have 300. 

They've also said that they will also be tweaking the DEs a bit. So that farmer that you help pick apples for in that giant DE chain might not always need apples. This is to add replayability, so even if you are max level , you can still come and check out the new stuff.

They've also said and I'm parapharsing here : "All content produced by the live team will be free"

So I'm not 100% sure if expansions will be free, probably not, because they'll still want to make some income. DLC will probably be free. 

The hair sticking back is a way to trick the human eye into thinking its waving back while running which is similar to what happens in real life. Of course it isn't perfect but it never bothered me before. It's probably laggy in Queensdale for a number of reasons. The main reason being A) it's one of the starter zones so huge amounts of new players B) It's human zone, which is by far the most populated race. 

If it's lagging , try playing in the overflow server, or asking in chat if anyone else is lagging. Because if not, it might be just your computer/connection. 

Since you haven't been to any "high" leveled areas you won't notice that centuars can actually take over a town. Killing the merchant / armorsmith there so you can't sell/buy armor. They'll also lock out the waypoint. There are numerous DEs like this. And the only way to take back the town/village/whatever is to actually go there and defeat all enemies.

• WizGamerWizGamer Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Cool! Thanks for the information. I really like how these themepark games actually are planning to evolve now. I don't consume content very rapidly (I'm extremely, extremely casual during the school year), so knowing it can last me a long time and I'll still have the same hardcore friends around is pretty comforting. 
  • wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by WizGamer
    Also, it'd be nice to see an engine improvement. It runs rather laggy in Queensdale, compared to TSW and SWTOR. Also, my character's hair kind of stretches out behind as I run. It makes it look like real hair, but I'm not sure if it's a graphical glitch or not. In CBT, I remember the hair being more static.

You might want to update your video drivers. For me switching from 301.10 to 306.02 (nVidia) fixed regular PC freezed I had while playing GW2. Can't comment on framerate (never had any problems with it) but it's supposed to be better as well. And one guy from my guild said new ATI drivers DOUBLED (hehe ;) his FPS.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Hi, I just started playing GW2 after my prepurchased account was hacked and then banned. Lol.... Anyway, the game is pretty cool and seems different in its own ways from other MMOs. I kind of dislike how there are so many other heroes in this fantasy world completing all these group quests with me, but maybe they also scale individually if I get further from the noob zones.

Anyway, I was wondering what the developers were planning with regard to GW2? Expansions? DLCs? Are they going to expand the DE system anymore? There is a lot of potential for emergent gameplay in GW2, and I'm thinking about enemies actually taking over zones and territorial control. 

The game will get expansions, yes. Maybe every 9nth month or so but that is just speculations, that the game will expand with expansions is however official.

As for the engine, some optimization wouldnt hurt but part of it is because we need updated drivers from Nvidia and ATI. I have no lag in Quensdale myself, or anywhere else for that matter but I guess my 480 GTX is better than your GFX card. I am sure performance will improve with time, and I do know people who got 20% better performance with Nvidias latest beta drivers than the official driver.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Loke666

The game will get expansions, yes. Maybe every 9nth month or so but that is just speculations, that the game will expand with expansions is however official.

As for the engine, some optimization wouldnt hurt but part of it is because we need updated drivers from Nvidia and ATI. I have no lag in Quensdale myself, or anywhere else for that matter but I guess my 480 GTX is better than your GFX card. I am sure performance will improve with time, and I do know people who got 20% better performance with Nvidias latest beta drivers than the official driver.

Also the game will get continuous updates, both free and payed.  I am still convinced we will see the first adventure packs in the gemstore in a few months.

Big expansion packs should be availble yearly, tough the first one might take a little longer because of the huge amounts of time the development team needs to spend currently on release issues.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    It has zombie chickens. Any game with zombie chickens has a bright future.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.