Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Missing Component

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Many MMOs in the past several years have tanked, tanked hard and tanked early. While most players could name several reasons why, Pokket thinks there is just one. The one she's thinking of just might surprise you. Keep reading to see if you agree!

There have been a lot of MMOs released in the past 4 or 5 years that have seemed to have flopped, and rather quickly for that matter. It's always frustrating to us, as gamers, to feel like we've wasted 40, 60, or even over 100 dollars on a game that all of our friends end up leaving after about a month. Why do they leave? Well, there are usually many different reasons, such as lack of end-game, not polished enough, pushed out the door before it is ready and more. But there is always a missing component as well...

Read more of Hillary Nicole's Pokket Says: The Missing Component.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    For those of you who don't believe Pokket, i have only 1 thing to say to you: Hello Kitty Online. That is all
  • morbitangelmorbitangel Member UncommonPosts: 70
    seriously? you call this a article? and to the funny guy mentioning hello kitty online i wouldnt even touch that with a stick.....
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398

The furur is Black Desert Online

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDhimjJLc6c

• sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115

[sarcasm]

Great and meaningful article, i learned alot.

[/sarcasm]

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by morbitangel
    seriously? you call this a article? and to the funny guy mentioning hello kitty online i wouldnt even touch that with a stick.....

I don't play either. It was a, you know, joke. I also think that there's no need to write a columm to make a joke, but chill.

• ZzadistZzadist Member UncommonPosts: 35

Alright I see alot of upset folks here. 

I'd like to say I thought it was funny. 

Fyi. For all the QQers whining and saying they hate the "article." Its not an article. Its an opinion piece. I think most newspapers, mags, and online news sites call it a -gasp- column. Lets do some research before all these little angry nerds start decrying the website and flooding the forums with their hatred of the "article"

((((((Column By Hillary Nicole on September 10, 2012)))))))

Hmmm. Where was this found? Right. At the top. 

Good column. Was quite funny. We need lots moar cats in MMOs. 

You did forget to mention SWTOR's cat race being released. The Cathar. ;D

• drake110131drake110131 Member UncommonPosts: 2

That Cat is totallly a RL Garfield LOL

hope thats not yours Pokket

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342
    STO has the Caitians as well.    Normally I am a fan of Pokket's columns/ed op pieces, but this one just missed the mark for me as I just didn't find it that funny.  Guess you can't hit it out of the park all the time.
  • gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    They have cats in gw2 but I cant kill them like i can bunnies. Wish i could though because i need inncent furries for an achievement.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

One of the longests threads on the Aion forums was the kitty pics post. It was also very common to see kitty pics in many of the other posts.

There was a day there in TSW when all the cats were massing in London.

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=54678&highlight=cats

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I avoid houses with cats.  The thought of a cat walking through a nasty litterbox and then subsequently walking on tables and counters with those nasty feet......
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I setup a Facebook account for my cat, so I could participate in TSW's Facebook game that involved adding as many friends as you possibly could. I posted with the appropriate grammar and spelling, both bad, but consistent. My cat had a social life consisting of one other cat that did not like her very much, but I got tired of it. My cat got birthday wishes and members of my family would post on the Facebook wall. While I do like cats*, I don't know if that would make for a good addition to an MMORPG.

* If there is enough food and enough clean litter, you can leave a cat in your house while you go out of town, and the cat will be just fine. I have to hire baby sitters for the stupid dogs.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• PokketPokket Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    [mod edit]

It's a good thing all my viewers are strapped to their computer chairs and forced to read this article. Actually, wait, no they are not :P

If you think about it, I mean take like 10 seconds to think deeper than surface value for once, you'll see that I'm talking about how there is no missing component in games. At least not any one missing component, but after a game releases and people begin to assess why they "fail", they always try to look for what it is missing ("oh, it's not f2p", "oh questing sucks", "oh themepark"). They always sum it up to one or two major things, which may be the case, but they are usually missing the nail completely (rather than hitting it on the head ~.^).

Perhaps maybe I am trying to make a comment on that. Just perhaps. I just made cats the missing component, because I like cats... and they are missing. So I blame that.

I'll remove your thinking cap now.

Youtube: PokketProductions | Twitter: @Pokketsays | Facebook: Pokketsays
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    And here I came thinking I would read a serious article on a very imporant state of current MMORPG offerings.
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Pokket
    [mod edit]

It's a good thing all my viewers are strapped to their computer chairs and forced to read this article. Actually, wait, no they are not :P

If you think about it, I mean take like 10 seconds to think deeper than surface value for once, you'll see that I'm talking about how there is no missing component in games. At least not any one missing component, but after a game releases and people begin to assess why they "fail", they always try to look for what it is missing ("oh, it's not f2p", "oh questing sucks", "oh themepark"). They always sum it up to one or two major things, which may be the case, but they are usually missing the nail completely (rather than hitting it on the head ~.^).

Perhaps maybe I am trying to make a comment on that. Just perhaps. I just made cats the missing component, because I like cats... and they are missing. So I blame that.

what a condescending post wow

• AbangyarudoAbangyarudo Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Asamof
    [mod edit]

what a condescending post wow

Look at what she is normally approached with as far as this community goes. She gets like 9 negative posts to every 1 nice post. In part because this community is very close minded I dare even say they have a bit of the misogyny the likes of Ryan Perez. I think there is only so much negativity people can take. 

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I'm not really into small cats, but the larger over powering tigers and lions I have to say are pretty cool in my book. I do have to say though, that when I'm rockin worlds on my charr warrior with the horns, I don't really even think about the fact that I look like a cat that can walk on two legs, use weapons, has horns, and is wearing armor. The whole cat aspect seems to go by the wayside even though at times I'm running on all fours. I suppose if I didn't use my warhorn so often I would probably see the cat side a little more.
  • nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    It amazes me how many that read these columns have this extremely serious mentality towards what warrants an article on this site.  We are "ahem" posting about games here.  I for one enjoy the lightheartedness of your articles Pokket.  Keep it up!
  • JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342

Come to think of it, I did like playing a Kerra in EQ2.  They kicked *ss as a monk.  

On a side note, Pokket does a good job of handling the sheer amount of negative posts regarding her articles.  It's one thing if you disagree with her article or maybe don't like her writing style, but most of the time it's either talking about her hair, her tatas or something totally unrelated to the article itself..

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    Aight Pokket. Your post above implies that enoght victims to your OP are too dumb to understand the sublime intricacies of your essay, or that you're a pretty poor writer that cannot effectively convey her message. In either even I don't see you come out on top of that one.
  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

EQ1 Val Shir and their entire cat city Shar Vahl with story and lore to boot.

http://www.everquest.com/races

Pokket comment

"Now, arguably GW2 actually took the use of cats and their story the furthest it has ever gone because, not only can you PLAY a cat, but there is an entire story and city based ON these cats. How amazing is that? 

Pokket has obviously come late to the MMO seen to spout such nonsence.

I like GW2 and have followed it intensely over the last 5 years even attending GamesCom three years running to wangle a full beta spot out of the devs but some fans are serious over the top. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Czanrei [mod edit]

I thought you were just posting a humorous article. You might be expecting a bit too much from your audience.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• LunarZer0LunarZer0 Member Posts: 5
    When are they going to stop letting this person make articles and videos? She is a terrible writer,and her videos are super boring and lame. What happened to people like Coyote who were good. I actually visit this site less and less because they keep giving her more and more articles and videos to post.
  • GettCoupedGettCouped Member UncommonPosts: 47
    What is the point of this article?