Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OK, I tried GW2 and TSW, and----------

Comments

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182

@Piiritus,

first of all, you are grouped by default. So there is no need to form party every time you find yourself around strange people. Kill stealing just changed. Now people go into rage mode if you kill mob they were running to or it was just next to him. Anyway - whatever the reason, in other MMO you play alone even between other peoples because people don't help each other or anything. In GW2 you can hit same mob as person next to you without party and still both of you can loot him and have exp from kill.

If you play GW2 or other MMO that do this (don't know any other) then you will realize how much difference you have there. You play WITH people, no NEXT TO THEM.

Also there will be no zering later. We have zerging and strange prices because game is few days old so most of the crows is still in low lvl area. And on top of that - this game was even bigger success than TOR and much much bigger than TSW.

People don't say hello because usually they are too busy. When you facing few oponents it's hard to write something and fight at the same time. But we often stay and chat after events, in towns/villages etc. We chat a lot when we hunt for vistas and point of interest. Of when we are trying to solve jumping puzzle that have quite nice reward at the end. Maybe you are not a social person ? I use local and guild channel all the time and not only me. And map channel is full of chatty people.

There is no loading screens. Only loading screens in GW2 you see is between areas and areas are huge (15 lvl wide). You see loading screen in area if you do long dinstance teleport but then again - this takes like 2s or something.

You have quests givers. Most of events can be triggered. And people with hearts also can be talked to.  There is story behind what you do. Trick is that things happen anyway. Invasion of centaurs ? Well it's happening so get to work. Want to know why they invade ? Talk to NPC. That is the difference. You can both trigger quests or just be part of event that triggered itself. Or it's an event that someone else triggered.

Basic receipes have pattern. You can combine item with insignia to get new version with different bonuses and upgrade slot. But that's not all. There are some rare combinatins with rare ingridients that will give you something usefull. You should see my face when I discovered that except normal inventory bags I can make ones that gather junk (junk go there until bag is filled and then it will fill normal inventory) or equipment (only weapons and armor) or it will prevent items inside to appear in vendor sell tab. Simple stuff like that and yet so much fun.

Trick is that there are patterns for people that want to discover something and for people that just want to lvl up profession using minimal effort.

Combat system is good. If you say that you just stand and burn enemies - join PVP. Or try doing something like that in dungeon. I would like to see how to stand still and burn down your enemies. 

I'm just saying that some aspects of GW2 should become a standard for future MMO games. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I like the GW2 pvp content better. Everything else TSW gets the nod. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by cura
    The only thing TSW did great are investigation missions. At least those in two first zones. I dont know hows the rest couse i stopped playing after my first month. Combat just felt wrong, everything was cluttered and this, so called, secret world didnt felt so secret at all.  Of course its just my opinion. I wont talk here about my experience with GW2 and i really dont see a reason why anybody should.

Well the OP pretty much gave the go-ahead by making the distinction in the first place.  However, I won't do so either.  My impression of TSW was bad.  Really bad.  Bad combat.  Bad animations.  Even if the game was not trying to kill WoW, the excuse that they sold fine for a niche title is not going to fly, since the company itself said they were expecting much more.  To them, it failed.

I heard it's Metacritic's fault.  Seriously, I didn't know much about Funcom until TSW, but blaming a user review site for their own poor showing is kind of pathetic.  It's no wonder I saw so many people vowing never to buy from Funcom again.  Now I understand.

TSW has a bad combat? Seriously? Did you even play it? TSW has one of the best combats from all MMORPGs. Extremely fluid and responsive, there is no delay at all, you can move and use abilities at the same time, very action oriented and just feels right.

Animations? Yeh those suck, but COME ON, it is definetly not terrible or gamebraking, animations in TSW are not worse than GW2.

REALITY CHECK

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Thillian

TSW has a bad combat? Seriously? Did you even play it? TSW has one of the best combats from all MMORPGs. Extremely fluid and responsive, there is no delay at all, you can move and use abilities at the same time, very action oriented and just feels right.

Animations? Yeh those suck, but COME ON, it is definetly not terrible or gamebraking, animations in TSW are not worse than GW2.

Yes, they are (and a lot worse for that matter) and I cant really understand why since Funcom owns a motion suit. AoCs animations are a lot better than TSWs as well, Funcom can better.

But no, that is not really game breaking, just annoying,

• algharetalgharet Member Posts: 2

1. GW2 don't punish you for playing with others like other MMO - they reward you for that. Other MMO rely heavy on party system and there is something like "kill steal". yawn... Agreed This is a great feature

2. GW2 encourage working as a group. Grouping in this game comes naturally. Once I completely agree.

3. No stupid instances. That is taken to minimum. This way MMO is a MMO. Multiplayer game. Not some boring map when you cross path with others and instances when you play with 2-3 people... Whoa there buddy, This game is one of the most  heavily instanced game I have ever played.. EVERYTHING is an instance... EVERYTHING!!

4. No boring quests hubs with tons of kil & fetch quests. Dynamic events are interesting, they have their own story. They just happen and sometimes they are triggered. But everyone can join in and help. And best part - if you want to hear the story then go to the NPC, if not, just jump right in. This was ONE OF THE FUNNIEST parts of other MMO. Every invasion of evil dudes was waiting for you. And that invasion was - few evil dudes running around on some meadow. How stupid is that ? In this game - invasion is dam invasion - and it have multiple stages most of the time. Um.. you are forgetting the HEART QUESTS.. they are the typical quests, kill 10 centaurs, pick 10 weeks type quests.. just no questlog but still nothing but kill and fetch!

If you are gonna fanboy up a game in the forums of a different game, at least get your facts straight. Its posts like this one that will drive players away from GW2, it's almost like your are trying to be a politician attempting to sell an electorate a bill of goods based on deceptive facts.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gw2 has better animations
    Tsw has better input registering, you don't gave the annoying mouse smoothing, and with gw2 sometimes occasionaly I get a delay when firing an ability.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by cura
    The only thing TSW did great are investigation missions. At least those in two first zones. I dont know hows the rest couse i stopped playing after my first month. Combat just felt wrong, everything was cluttered and this, so called, secret world didnt felt so secret at all.  Of course its just my opinion. I wont talk here about my experience with GW2 and i really dont see a reason why anybody should.

Well the OP pretty much gave the go-ahead by making the distinction in the first place.  However, I won't do so either.  My impression of TSW was bad.  Really bad.  Bad combat.  Bad animations.  Even if the game was not trying to kill WoW, the excuse that they sold fine for a niche title is not going to fly, since the company itself said they were expecting much more.  To them, it failed.

I heard it's Metacritic's fault.  Seriously, I didn't know much about Funcom until TSW, but blaming a user review site for their own poor showing is kind of pathetic.  It's no wonder I saw so many people vowing never to buy from Funcom again.  Now I understand.

Ehh it was actually the so called professional reviewsers who were rather shortsided and narrowminded with their scores.

The user rating on Metacritic for TSW is actually really high, compared to a very low critic rating from reviews. Usually it is always the other way around. So some bitterness and foul play from reviewsers for sure. Like lack of add money from Funcom or something.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah tsw is like the anti swtor of meta critic
    Low reviewer scores, high user scores
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by eddieg50

I really liked TSW more than GW2 , GW2 is a good game but I found a lot of it to be scattered. There is a lot of Run over here and then Run over there, oh wait there is an event go over and kill 32 spiders with 27 other players.  The tutorial is poor to say the least and the Manual does not do a good job of explaining the game, in fact they dont even mention Crafting!.   On the other hand TSW is very logically set up, the quest follow a pattern and flow from one to the other, I never felt like I was just running around with my head cut off.

The atmosphere in TSW is great. very spooky, the music helps also, the atmosphere really helps you to immerse yourself in the game.  GW2 atmosphere is blehh,   The Graphics are good in both games, GW2 though is way to green, I feel like I am in "The world of plants" I like the realistic graphics of TSW better.  combat is fine in GW2 as long as you have fast fingers or a 16 button mouse, I dont particularily care for the skill system and think the wheel is better at TSW-the combat in TSW becomes better when you get more skills.

These are my first impressions as I have only played each game about 10 hours, but it will be interesting to see if things change.   Right now 10 hours in I have to give the big edge to TSW.  As a matter of fact I liked GW1 better than GW2

TSW also suffers from the same ambiguous game manual and tutorial as GW2, you still suffer from having to run from 1 part of the map to another, howevever in GW2 you can use the way points to instantly port, but in TSW you need to run through the infested areas.

You can still run around like a headless chicken in TSW, I fail to see why it should be different to any other MMO out there, if you don't know what your doing your going to feel lost aren't you, not all of us are going to come into such games knowing it all, and TSW does have a steeper learning curve due to it's quests which frankly can leave you wondering "WTH do I do next as I'm sure this was what I was meant to do"

Now with that said I think TSW is a fabulous game, I also think GW2 is a fabulous game, heck I've got alot of fabulous MMO's on my desk, they all have downsides but plenty of upsides aswell, I don't linger on the negatives, if I did I would have gone insane by now and become some bitter and twisted poster who has to bemoan every title out there since Meridian 59.

So by all means compare the games, but remember that some of those faults are equally shared amongst MMO's, and just because you favour 1 over the other doesn't mean you have to paste over those small faults.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I prefer GW2. The one thing I like the most about TSW is the skill wheel but specifically for pve. I prefer balanced pvp games(as close as possible) and with the skill wheel it would be as far as possible from balance. The pve in TSW still felt too inline, felt like a corridor while in GW2 I can actually explore.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Never played TSW however the videos i've seen of the issues with each new patch do not impress me. While TSW seems to be making some progress, they really haven't effectively destroyed many of the bugs with animation and combat that were there in the beginning beta videos i've seen on TotalHalibut's site. 

This combined with the history of the OP gushing over SWTOR makes me a little suspicious honestly.

If this is how you make decision based on  the post history of OP and his gushing over SWTOR. I am glad i didn't pay too much attention to your post history which is full of gushing over GW2 and bashing of every other MMO...or i would have avoided GW2.

*rolles eyes*

But since i am capable of thinking of myself i went ahead and bought GW2 as well as TSW.

Bite Me

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I liked TSW more than GW2 as well. My sub ran out as I am playing GW2 but I'll most likely renew it soon.
  • ClaesClaes Member CommonPosts: 265

The amount of ignorance in this thread is staggering.

Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Nikkita

I also subscribed to TSW recently after announcement of lfg tool. My initial impressions are same but i wouldn't compare it to GW2 since both are very different type of games targetted towards different demographics of players.

GW2 's aim is to go for mass appeal and beat WOW in sales and be number one. TSW on the other hand has no such ambition and is a niche MMO.

It really isnt, at least not originally, but that kinda feels off topic here.

But I am somewhat surprised that TSW havnt sold better, the world is really nice even if the 3 "classes" are a bit cheesy.

Please feel free to explain how. Not even once while playing TSW i felt that they were going for mass apeal. More i play TSW more i realise why it has a small but very dedicated community who love the game to bits.

Bite Me

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    I don't see how people can like both games, they almost seem mutually exclusive to me! I don't agree with a single thing the OP states but to each his own, it's good that we don't all have to play the same game. In fact, more games pls that appeal to different people. 
    Originally posted by Adiaris
    I don't see how people can like both games, they almost seem mutually exclusive to me! I don't agree with a single thing the OP states but to each his own, it's good that we don't all have to play the same game. In fact, more games pls that appeal to different people. 

Oh God lol..you are surprised that some people are actually capable of enjoying two MMOS at the same time?

Bite Me

Oh God lol..you are surprised that some people are actually capable of enjoying two MMOS at the same time?

Nope. I'm surprised that these two particular games can appeal to the same person given how vastly different they are and my personal experiences with them. You do tend to read things out of contest alot, don't ya?

Nope. I'm surprised that these two particular games can appeal to the same person given how vastly different they are and my personal experiences with them. You do tend to read things out of contest alot, don't ya?

Did i really read it out of context? the question is not whether how vastly different from each other but that an individual is capable of enjoying it regardless of that huge difference. 

But if you just want more surprises here is another combo... i can play both EVE and GW2 at same time. ;)

Bite Me

Did i really read it out of context? the question is not whether how vastly different from each other but that an individual is capable of enjoying it regardless of that huge difference. 

But if you just want more surprises here is another combo... i can play both EVE and GW2 at same time. ;)

Somehow playing EVE and GW2 strikes me as less odd... 

Either way, as I said they seem mutually exclusive to me but I'm sure people play all sorts of things. I just don't see how :P

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Never played TSW however the videos i've seen of the issues with each new patch do not impress me. While TSW seems to be making some progress, they really haven't effectively destroyed many of the bugs with animation and combat that were there in the beginning beta videos i've seen on TotalHalibut's site. 

This combined with the history of the OP gushing over SWTOR makes me a little suspicious honestly.

Nothing to be suspicious about, I do like SWTOR and Bio ware games, LOL is that a crime

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Nothing to be suspicious about, I do like SWTOR and Bio ware games, LOL is that a crime

yes:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by AwDiddums

I really liked TSW more than GW2 , GW2 is a good game but I found a lot of it to be scattered. There is a lot of Run over here and then Run over there, oh wait there is an event go over and kill 32 spiders with 27 other players.  The tutorial is poor to say the least and the Manual does not do a good job of explaining the game, in fact they dont even mention Crafting!.   On the other hand TSW is very logically set up, the quest follow a pattern and flow from one to the other, I never felt like I was just running around with my head cut off.

The atmosphere in TSW is great. very spooky, the music helps also, the atmosphere really helps you to immerse yourself in the game.  GW2 atmosphere is blehh,   The Graphics are good in both games, GW2 though is way to green, I feel like I am in "The world of plants" I like the realistic graphics of TSW better.  combat is fine in GW2 as long as you have fast fingers or a 16 button mouse, I dont particularily care for the skill system and think the wheel is better at TSW-the combat in TSW becomes better when you get more skills.

These are my first impressions as I have only played each game about 10 hours, but it will be interesting to see if things change.   Right now 10 hours in I have to give the big edge to TSW.  As a matter of fact I liked GW1 better than GW2

TSW also suffers from the same ambiguous game manual and tutorial as GW2, you still suffer from having to run from 1 part of the map to another, howevever in GW2 you can use the way points to instantly port, but in TSW you need to run through the infested areas.

You can still run around like a headless chicken in TSW, I fail to see why it should be different to any other MMO out there, if you don't know what your doing your going to feel lost aren't you, not all of us are going to come into such games knowing it all, and TSW does have a steeper learning curve due to it's quests which frankly can leave you wondering "WTH do I do next as I'm sure this was what I was meant to do"

Now with that said I think TSW is a fabulous game, I also think GW2 is a fabulous game, heck I've got alot of fabulous MMO's on my desk, they all have downsides but plenty of upsides aswell, I don't linger on the negatives, if I did I would have gone insane by now and become some bitter and twisted poster who has to bemoan every title out there since Meridian 59.

So by all means compare the games, but remember that some of those faults are equally shared amongst MMO's, and just because you favour 1 over the other doesn't mean you have to paste over those small faults.

You make some good points, but I feel that gw2 is confusing and not clearly laid out like TSW.  If you are going to have a confusing game you should have an excellent manual

My God, how can anyone like both  burgers and Dogs!

• reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a die-hard fan of Gulld wars 1 AND 2 and A-Net.  

GW 2 doesn't hold you hand at all.  To me, it's not really a theme park but not really a sand box either.  You're free to do whatever you want do.  

That being said...

I was hesitated of buying TSW but I was glad that I did.  I love TSW's atmosphere and story telling.  At some point, it does a great job of making you feel that it could happen.  TSW makes me want to find out what's next and next and next.  TSW does hold you hand through your journey which makes it easier for some people.

I have to say that you really can't compare TSW and Guild Wars 2.  They are totally different, it's like compare an orange to a strawberry.

I used orange and strawberry because both are my favorite fruit and I also like both TSW and Guild Wars 2.  They are just different and targeted to different audience.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Both good games. I think gw2 is the bigger better game overall but tsw has its special moments. I would love to mash up features and or ellements  from both games honestly. Anybody who likes games like bioshock, resident evil or metal gear will probably dig tsw. It might just be me but I find gw2 to remind me of zelda meets skyrim, maybe its the hearts and music lol....

Once again both really good games, cheers......