Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OK, I tried GW2 and TSW, and----------

eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I really liked TSW more than GW2 , GW2 is a good game but I found a lot of it to be scattered. There is a lot of Run over here and then Run over there, oh wait there is an event go over and kill 32 spiders with 27 other players.  The tutorial is poor to say the least and the Manual does not do a good job of explaining the game, in fact they dont even mention Crafting!.   On the other hand TSW is very logically set up, the quest follow a pattern and flow from one to the other, I never felt like I was just running around with my head cut off.

The atmosphere in TSW is great. very spooky, the music helps also, the atmosphere really helps you to immerse yourself in the game.  GW2 atmosphere is blehh,   The Graphics are good in both games, GW2 though is way to green, I feel like I am in "The world of plants" I like the realistic graphics of TSW better.  combat is fine in GW2 as long as you have fast fingers or a 16 button mouse, I dont particularily care for the skill system and think the wheel is better at TSW-the combat in TSW becomes better when you get more skills.

These are my first impressions as I have only played each game about 10 hours, but it will be interesting to see if things change.   Right now 10 hours in I have to give the big edge to TSW.  As a matter of fact I liked GW1 better than GW2

Comments

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

I also subscribed to TSW recently after announcement of lfg tool. My initial impressions are same but i wouldn't compare it to GW2 since both are very different type of games targetted towards different demographics of players.

GW2 's aim is to go for mass appeal and beat WOW in sales and be number one. TSW on the other hand has no such ambition and is a niche MMO.

Bite Me

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by Nikkita

I also subscribed to TSW recently after announcement of lfg tool. My initial impressions are same but i wouldn't compare it to GW2 since both are very different type of games targetted towards different demographics of players.

GW2 's aim is to go for mass appeal and beat WOW in sales and be number one. TSW on the other hand has no such ambition and is a niche MMO.

cant say what funcom´s goal with TSW were, but they had 200k people buying the game, and it wasnt enough....a number Id have thought were really good for a niche MMO, in its initial sales...could wish they would have said what their goals were, but well am sure we could make some speculations on that : P

just wish they hadnt included combat at all, in TSW, really the combat I experienced in "open" beta were the one thing that made think, erh wont buy it at release - wish for me means probably never, since hopefully archeage and wildstar will be released before Ive gotten sick of my current MMOs. is hard enough to have time to play 2 and feel like getting anywhere....even if the one of them is GW2.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by cura
    The only thing TSW did great are investigation missions. At least those in two first zones. I dont know hows the rest couse i stopped playing after my first month. Combat just felt wrong, everything was cluttered and this, so called, secret world didnt felt so secret at all.  Of course its just my opinion. I wont talk here about my experience with GW2 and i really dont see a reason why anybody should.

Well the OP pretty much gave the go-ahead by making the distinction in the first place.  However, I won't do so either.  My impression of TSW was bad.  Really bad.  Bad combat.  Bad animations.  Even if the game was not trying to kill WoW, the excuse that they sold fine for a niche title is not going to fly, since the company itself said they were expecting much more.  To them, it failed.

I heard it's Metacritic's fault.  Seriously, I didn't know much about Funcom until TSW, but blaming a user review site for their own poor showing is kind of pathetic.  It's no wonder I saw so many people vowing never to buy from Funcom again.  Now I understand.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I see nothing wrong with comparing the games since they came out about the same time.  I do not agree that TSW is a niche game, I dont see why all mmo's have to be fantasy games, zombies are really popular today and it is always fun killing a zombie or nazi.  
  • red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    I think TSW was more fun and I also think that TSW be able to add more interesting things down the road.  Once GW2 starts highlighting it's competitive PvP, it will become a victim of its own success... unless you like competitive MMORPG PvP.
  • DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189
    I'm opposite with OP. I find GW2 much enjoyable than TSW. I prefer running around headless than being guide along, which give me a better sense of adventure.

I can't stand animation in TSW, and find combat to be quite wooden. What I like from the game is ability to change different cloths without affect the stats.

They both are good game, and without GW2 I would be playing TSW.
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I'm not much into fantasy so I probably won't be giving GW2 a try any time soon. TSW has some cool elemants to it and I hope they keep adding to it. I love the realistic setting with monsters everywhere along with the atmospheric music. 

One  thing I found curious is your criticism of "run here run there" in GW2. You also do quite a bit of that in TSW with the one mission at a time restriction. .It's not like most MMOs where you can grab a bunch of missions and complete them all at once. Each quest giver gives out two to three missions so you have to keep coming back if you want to do them all. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378

Totally agree.  Both games are great and I personally find them so different I can play them both - they do not interfere with each other, if that makes sense?

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    The only thing TSW did great are investigation missions. At least those in two first zones. I dont know hows the rest couse i stopped playing after my first month. Combat just felt wrong, everything was cluttered and this, so called, secret world didnt felt so secret at all.  Of course its just my opinion. I wont talk here about my experience with GW2 and i really dont see a reason why anybody should.

Well the OP pretty much gave the go-ahead by making the distinction in the first place.  However, I won't do so either.  My impression of TSW was bad.  Really bad.  Bad combat.  Bad animations.  Even if the game was not trying to kill WoW, the excuse that they sold fine for a niche title is not going to fly, since the company itself said they were expecting much more.  To them, it failed.

I heard it's Metacritic's fault.  Seriously, I didn't know much about Funcom until TSW, but blaming a user review site for their own poor showing is kind of pathetic.  It's no wonder I saw so many people vowing never to buy from Funcom again.  Now I understand.

I play both TSW and GW2 and I find GW2 to be way overhyped. These two games are different enough not to compare them but you GW2 fantrolls must be really desperte to lurk in other games forums and bash them.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by eddieg50

I really liked TSW more than GW2 , GW2 is a good game but I found a lot of it to be scattered. There is a lot of Run over here and then Run over there, oh wait there is an event go over and kill 32 spiders with 27 other players.  The tutorial is poor to say the least and the Manual does not do a good job of explaining the game, in fact they dont even mention Crafting!.   On the other hand TSW is very logically set up, the quest follow a pattern and flow from one to the other, I never felt like I was just running around with my head cut off.

The atmosphere in TSW is great. very spooky, the music helps also, the atmosphere really helps you to immerse yourself in the game.  GW2 atmosphere is blehh,   The Graphics are good in both games, GW2 though is way to green, I feel like I am in "The world of plants" I like the realistic graphics of TSW better.  combat is fine in GW2 as long as you have fast fingers or a 16 button mouse, I dont particularily care for the skill system and think the wheel is better at TSW-the combat in TSW becomes better when you get more skills.

These are my first impressions as I have only played each game about 10 hours, but it will be interesting to see if things change.   Right now 10 hours in I have to give the big edge to TSW.  As a matter of fact I liked GW1 better than GW2

Hard to compare but both games are quite different.

1. TSW is a pure themepark that rely hevy on story. It's something like a TOR in this aspect. So you have nice leveling experience but that's it.

2. GW2 is new breed of MMO. It's still something you recognive but many aspects of MMO were redesign. Game don't hold your hand and give you freedom in many aspects (where to LVL up, how to lvl UP, weapon and skills, ability to change them at will etc) but some peoeple have no idea what to do with the freedom because they were trained by those other MMO and now they cannot do anything without green arrow telling them what to do entire time.

Both games target different people. Plays different, look different etc.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    Originally posted by Eir_S

I play both TSW and GW2 and I find GW2 to be way overhyped. These two games are different enough not to compare them but you GW2 fantrolls must be really desperte to lurk in other games forums and bash them.

It does look like a deliberate troll attempt.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Never played TSW however the videos i've seen of the issues with each new patch do not impress me. While TSW seems to be making some progress, they really haven't effectively destroyed many of the bugs with animation and combat that were there in the beginning beta videos i've seen on TotalHalibut's site. 

This combined with the history of the OP gushing over SWTOR makes me a little suspicious honestly.

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by dariuszp
    Originally posted by eddieg50

Hard to compare but both games are quite different.

1. TSW is a pure themepark that rely hevy on story. It's something like a TOR in this aspect. So you have nice leveling experience but that's it.

2. GW2 is new breed of MMO. It's still something you recognive but many aspects of MMO were redesign. Game don't hold your hand and give you freedom in many aspects (where to LVL up, how to lvl UP, weapon and skills, ability to change them at will etc) but some peoeple have no idea what to do with the freedom because they were trained by those other MMO and now they cannot do anything without green arrow telling them what to do entire time.

Both games target different people. Plays different, look different etc.

GW2, new breed of MMO?  In what way?  Nothing is new about it at all.  Oh yes no direction in game....  Guess you like GW2 more than TSW?  GW2 isundirected PVE to 8-0 then PVP - nothing new breed about that.

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Never played TSW however the videos i've seen of the issues with each new patch do not impress me. While TSW seems to be making some progress, they really haven't effectively destroyed many of the bugs with animation and combat that were there in the beginning beta videos i've seen on TotalHalibut's site. 

This combined with the history of the OP gushing over SWTOR makes me a little suspicious honestly.

Why do you guys go F'n nutz looking up a poster's history every time you don't like what a poster says? What's up with that? He liked SWTOR so he is not allowed to have an opinion on GW2 or TSW? HUH? I don't get it.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by bluefunk

GW2, new breed of MMO?  In what way?  Nothing is new about it at all.  Oh yes no direction in game....  Guess you like GW2 more than TSW?  GW2 isundirected PVE to 8-0 then PVP - nothing new breed about that.

1. GW2 don't punish you for playing with others like other MMO - they reward you for that. Other MMO rely heavy on party system and there is something like "kill steal". yawn...

2. GW2 encourage working as a group. Grouping in this game comes naturally.

3. No stupid instances. That is taken to minimum. This way MMO is a MMO. Multiplayer game. Not some boring map when you cross path with others and instances when you play with 2-3 people...

4. No boring quests hubs with tons of kil & fetch quests. Dynamic events are interesting, they have their own story. They just happen and sometimes they are triggered. But everyone can join in and help. And best part - if you want to hear the story then go to the NPC, if not, just jump right in. This was ONE OF THE FUNNIEST parts of other MMO. Every invasion of evil dudes was waiting for you. And that invasion was - few evil dudes running around on some meadow. How stupid is that ? In this game - invasion is dam invasion - and it have multiple stages most of the time.

5. World vs World is a haven for PVP people like me. Not many games have something like that. It's nothing quite new but it some ways refreshing.

6. Crafting system is one of the best I ever encountered. I think that only Fallen Earth do this better. Hundreds of receipes to discover! 

7. Combat system is one of the best. Skill based. Ability to swap weapons in mid combat. Weapon skills that depend on weapon you have, class you are and position of that weapon in your hand (axe/sword have different skills that sword/axe). And other skills can be changed as you like, when you like.

GW2 is new breed of MMO because it took bad parts of MMO and redesign it. I expect others to copy some of the good stuff about this game like "server is your party system" and weapon skills. TSW I played. It will end up like The Old Republic. With failure. And it's already happening because game sells quite bad. TSW could do good as single-player game. Not MMO.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

GW2 one more fantasy  mmo  nothing diferent ,only popular cuse it  is B2P ,TSW is diferent mmorpg not popular but better  for sure

are you read this GW2 fanboys:http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/thread/364444/STOP-IT.html

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by dariuszp
    Originally posted by bluefunk

1. GW2 don't punish you for playing with others like other MMO - they reward you for that. Other MMO rely heavy on party system and there is something like "kill steal". yawn...

How am I rewarded zerging DEs with others other than usual rewards? Same as taking down group content in any other MMO or rifts in well...Rift :) Kill stealing has been history for like last 8 years or something because first hit locks the mob.

2. GW2 encourage working as a group. Grouping in this game comes naturally.

Well, no hellos or byes or any other communication. Which doesn't bother me because I like to run mostly on my own in GW2 anyway.

3. No stupid instances. That is taken to minimum. This way MMO is a MMO. Multiplayer game. Not some boring map when you cross path with others and instances when you play with 2-3 people...

More loading screens than in SWTOR imho. Maybe I'm wrong but definitely much more than in Rift for example.

4. No boring quests hubs with tons of kil & fetch quests. Dynamic events are interesting, they have their own story. They just happen and sometimes they are triggered. But everyone can join in and help. And best part - if you want to hear the story then go to the NPC, if not, just jump right in. This was ONE OF THE FUNNIEST parts of other MMO. Every invasion of evil dudes was waiting for you. And that invasion was - few evil dudes running around on some meadow. How stupid is that ? In this game - invasion is dam invasion - and it have multiple stages most of the time.

Fact that I don't have to click an NPC doesn't make them quest givers. Instead of hubs there are heart ie quests and some random events. Also, bloody hate washing cows.

5. World vs World is a haven for PVP people like me. Not many games have something like that. It's nothing quite new but it some ways refreshing.

Cannot comment because I haven't tried it in GW2 and I'm more a PvE player anyway.

6. Crafting system is one of the best I ever encountered. I think that only Fallen Earth do this better. Hundreds of receipes to discover! 

After first confusion all those recipies follow a certain pattern and buying them would be easier imo. Not a bad crafting system though but still an average grind. FE was really great. I like it's market though (if it's up) covering whole game not only single server.

7. Combat system is one of the best. Skill based. Ability to swap weapons in mid combat. Weapon skills that depend on weapon you have, class you are and position of that weapon in your hand (axe/sword have different skills that sword/axe). And other skills can be changed as you like, when you like.

Well, it doesn't have much impact. Most times I just stand and burn through mobs. Don't even have to dodge. Once you unlock yoru skills by level 4-5 you gain only levels and some traits that are not anything elite. Not a bad system but nothing outstanding either.

GW2 is new breed of MMO because it took bad parts of MMO and redesign it. I expect others to copy some of the good stuff about this game like "server is your party system" and weapon skills. TSW I played. It will end up like The Old Republic. With failure. And it's already happening because game sells quite bad. TSW could do good as single-player game. Not MMO.

Well, I've played GW2 and while it was an OK experience it was far from good. The game got boring and predictable in 20's already and got worse all the time. It's my very personal opinion ofc. I like TSW and it's better MMO imho even with all it's faults (and there are plenty). 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Dariuz:
    Of your points,
    1 you can't kill steal, node steal (there are non) or quest objective steal in tsw either. Further more loot drop rates increase when grouped.
    4 tsw doesn't use spoke quest hubs either. Both gw2 and tsw came up with different solutions to the get a shopping list of quests and play the map approach that reached its nadir with swtor.
    5 yes this is tsws biggest flaw, cutting back on pvp and making it all about the gear, like wow.
    6 both games avoid the typical wow crafting. Neither has as good crafting as sandbox games like eve.
    7 tsw and gw2 have NIGH IDENTICAL combat. Limited selection of abilities from a pool, active dodging, mobs that telegraph their attacks, mobs that interupted you, casting on the move, state system, combos.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It really isnt, at least not originally, but that kinda feels off topic here.

But I am somewhat surprised that TSW havnt sold better, the world is really nice even if the 3 "classes" are a bit cheesy.

I don't think gw2 is going for the wow audience. If it was it would:
    Have shed loads of raids
    Would let you poopsock to win at pvp
    Would be heavily instanced with cities acting like glorified lobbies where you can epeen you latest epix
  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by itgrowls

So you can gush over GW2 but anyone else gushing over a game is suspicious,guess you are putting yourself into the same catogory.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    i bought both games and really enjoy them both..but i ahve a limited opinion of gw2 has i was hacked but from what i saw it was a good game..i do not think its on par with tsw has it is definately more immersive thats for sure.but has i say i have a limited view on gw2. saying that i bought a lifetime to tsw and i think thats money well spent..when or if i manage to get my gw2 account back i,m sure i will enjoy that just the same..but gw2 was always going to be my second or 3rd game behind tsw,lotro and then gw2.from a personal point of view i think the story is extremely weak(so far) in gw2 compared to the other 2 i mentioned.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Both are different types of MMORPG thats for sure.. I also think TSW is the better game for me at least..

TB video was hilarious, he played it like a noob, only using 1 weapon and standing inside all the white areas (maybe if they were red like gw2 he would have got out of the way)
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

I absolutely prefer TSW over GW2.

This said I do play both, for the time being.