Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: #1 in Ten EU Nations

2»

Comments

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Not really sure this post was really needed. I mean Diablo 3 sold over 3.5 million units in under 24 hours...
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF
    Not really sure this post was really needed. I mean Diablo 3 sold over 3.5 million units in under 24 hours...

What does one games success have to do with GW2's success?

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Badaboom

He doesn't care about the game per se, or how it's currently doing. He thinks only the record breaking achievements should be posted as news.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Considering all the hype for this game... it's showing their numbers aren't that impressive. 

I could personally care less about any "top game numbers" but it was posted on here so I felt obligated. 

I'm pretty sick of hearing about GW2 on these forumns and was hoping the talk would die down after release. 

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    I think GW2 has sold upto 2 million copies easily by now. Just waiting for some official numbers. It is going to break all records for sales in MMO category on release.

Not trying to pick a fight, but if they have only sold 2mil copies, then they didn't break Cata's day one sales record of 3.3 mil.

"the company has now announced that the newest expansion for World of Warcraft has broken all PC game sales records, selling 3.3 million copies in the first 24 hours. This broke the previous sales record of 2.8 million units sold in a day... which was held by Wrath of the Lich King."  source

That record was then beaten by D3 as I recall (not an MMO, I know) source

Cataclysm = expansion, not a stand alone game.

Also, its well over 2 million by now. They sold over 1m just in fully paid pre-purchases (access to betas and head start weekend. They havent released any numbers from launch or after. Also as someone else mentioned, it hasnt even been released in China yet, which should boost its sales quite a bit more.

Originally posted by Eletheryl
    Originally posted by hpisti
    Couple of guildies would like to increase their sales... but they're sold-out... first time I've ever seen this in an MMO...

Is not ¨Sold-out¨ when u are not selling copies. Only the people with a pre-order or pre-purchase copy can play the game atm. Try to buy a digital copy from the official site, you cant. 

Digital sales from their site were up for a few days. Its also still available in stores and from other digital retailers.
  • roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by roo67
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    I think GW2 has sold upto 2 million copies easily by now. Just waiting for some official numbers. It is going to break all records for sales in MMO category on release.

They didnt sell copies on release, they are not selling the game right now, and they already said the pre-order and pre-purchase numbers, it was around 1.2 mill or less, far behind the 1.7 mill of swtor (a game who also, didnt sell copies on day 1 or release)

StarWars is a massive franchise though in comparison to GuildWars . They are selling the game in boxed form right now . I got mine a couple of days ago . I think downloads have been temporarily suspended I imagine to catch up with demand and create more servers . If anything I think unlike ToR which peaked quickly GW2 is going to have more of a snowball effect . The demand must be higher than NcSoft thought it would be .

The problem is not the higher demand, is the numbers of servers, i  mean, more servers = they need to hire more people, and the game is B2P not P2P. The population will drop after the 1st month, is already droping, and even worse with MoP incoming we will see soon servers ¨medium¨ and ¨low¨, i guess they are waiting for that so they dont have to open new servers just because all of them are ¨full¨.

I just logged in I see no sign of the population dropping . My server Aurora Glade was medium load a few days ago and now its high all the time . So I'm not sure how factual that statement is . I am however playing WoW at the moment and the number of low servers is quite shocking I've never seen so many .

MoP will sell well of course but I'm not sure how many it will take back to WoW . The recent Patch is being pretty poorly recieved in game and I know a lot of people with concern as to where the game is going . It all depends on MOPs quality but nothing I've seen about its content seams to tackle the underlying issues that has led millions to quit in the last couple of years .

If anything GW2 has more potential of taking players away from WoW than Mop has of taking players from GW2 . You have to factor in that ex-WoW players who are in GW2 now are more likly to be disgruntled ex-WoW players than those who are simply passing time before MoP . If they were WoW fans they would most likly be playing now for the latest patch . If anything I think we may see panic on Blizzard part if like many of us suspect MoP is poorly recieved by the players . I've seen huge amounts of complaints about the recent patch in game chat .

Also you to remember due to its volume of demand the gw2 sales have been suspended for a short while so this means when it is available again more people will buy it so your estimates of a large population drop in a months time could be a bit more like wishfull thinking . I'm assuming your a concerned WoW player ?

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Sweden love ArenaNet. Best fucking developer ever and Guild Wars 2 is amazing. Please fuck me.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Guild Wars ROCKS!  I predict that they will not kill WOW, but they will surpass them eventually as WOW declines.
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    I don't think it really means much. The impression I am getting, though, is there may be a launch bubble with GW2. PLaying my alt at level 33 at the moment the instance zones are very quiet on my server.
  • HerXHerX Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by orbitxo
    yup. they want to keep a smooth launch and game play experience. and weve seen from past mmos where all fails-so good for them!

tbh this was the textbook case of BAD launch.

• EmerwynEmerwyn Member Posts: 70

This thread makes me sad in several layers. Sad even for myself.

Though it all boils down to "I wish I could take my 55€ back".

Originally posted by HerX
    yup. they want to keep a smooth launch and game play experience. and weve seen from past mmos where all fails-so good for them!

How so? Cant think of any major issue that wasnt fixed within the 1st week or 2. Theres tons of games out there that still have major bugs / broken things several years after launch.

EU login issues - Fixed

Trading Post - fixed

Mail - fixed

Guild issues - fixed

Partying issues - fixed

Majority of bugged quests / events / skill challenges - fixed

Fixing of several bugged skills / incorrect descriptions - done

Along with all the fixes, theyve also been able to add / remove features requested by players:

Ability to craft directly from bank - added

Tweaking of the "F" (interact) key functions - added

After lots of complaints from players of getting stuck accidentally ressing a pet instead of a player - removed ability to res pets

Damn.... i guess youre right. Such a horrible launch. They should be like everyoen else and let these things go on for months and months. Thats so much better. /sarcasm

Originally posted by Emerwyn
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

How so? Cant think of any major issue that wasnt fixed within the 1st week or 2. Theres tons of games out there that still have major bugs / broken things several years after launch.

EU login issues - Fixed

Trading Post - fixed

Mail - fixed

Guild issues - fixed

Partying issues - fixed

Majority of bugged quests / events / skill challenges - fixed

Fixing of several bugged skills / incorrect descriptions - done

Along with all the fixes, theyve also been able to add / remove features requested by players:

Ability to craft directly from bank - added

Tweaking of the "F" (interact) key functions - added

After lots of complaints from players of getting stuck accidentally ressing a pet instead of a player - removed ability to res pets

Damn.... i guess youre right. Such a horrible launch. They should be like everyoen else and let these things go on for months and months. Thats so much better. /sarcasm

[mod edit]

Right so you hit 80, had 100% map completed, did all of the story arcs, every mode of every dungeon, ranked up in sPvP, completed every achievement, participated in extensively in WvW, built a guild up with max upgrades, etc.

[mod edit]

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

It can be surmised that a bad launch of a good game is still a good game. Conversely, the great launch of a bad game will not save the bad game in the end. The point is that despite a number of serious and continuing issues during launch, those issues were not enough to outweigh  the positiives of the game.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• achmed20achmed20 Member Posts: 23
    ... i  mean, more servers = they need to hire more people ...

I doubt this is true. its not like they need one admin for every single server or even one for every 10 servers. supportstaff whise ... well maybe, but who needs support anyway :)

OT: great job anet, now i just liek to know  how many copies they actualy  sold.