Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is my dream sandbox game, and what we sandboxers are looking for

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Originally posted by madazz
    Originally posted by MMOman101
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

scams legal...in EVE, 

I then suicide gank their ship and come with an alt and take their stuff...

.it makes it like how the real world is. It is REALISM.

I want to be able to hijack a corp from inside, take it down...corporate espionage. Just like in the real world.

What world do you live in?

Scams are not legal.  People go to jail.

Suicide gank and get stuff?  That is not real.  Suicide gets you nothing but dead.

When was the last time corporate espionage took down a company?

I cannot tell if you are stupid or childish.  My bet is a little of each. 

By legal he means the GAME allows it. It doesn't mean the community has too. In UO you could put bounties on people for instance. Games now a days do everything they can protect you (even so much as to have NPC's helping you in dungeons lol)

As for suiciding, in EVE it works because you have a clone anyways. I guess this wouldn't work on everything. Wouldn't make sense when applied to a lot of games!

And as for corporate espionage... a quick google will show you many companies have fallen due to ideas being stolen and other factors. All as a result of corporate espionage.

Haven't played EVE, so I wouldn't know

http://support.eveonline.com/Pages/KB/Article.aspx?id=34

It says there that scammers aren't generally punished. Can scammers be brought to "court" in EVE? To me this sounds nothing but anarchy. I guess I'd be inclined to pick this up when I'm tired of living my happy fun life in this world.

Yes it does state that they aren't punished, which is true and what he meant. In game however, you can get revenge/justice in other ways. Such as bounties. Also, it isn't pure chaos because as in real life, alliances form, wars erupt, certain areas are highly protected (ie; safe zones) and so on. Personally, I hop in to eve now and then but I don't think its the greatest game. I like the mechanics behind it, but the gameplay itself isn't too much my type. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Full loot, everyone killable, scams legal

No thanks

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Full loot, everyone killable, scams legal

No thanks

Yea sounds like any other POS DF, MO, Eve clone on the market.  Soudns like the game you want is already out so I suggest the OP go play one of them.

I want a sandbox MMO that takes the best portions of the themepark genre and blends it into the ultimate PvE experience.  There has never been a PvE based sandbox done the way it should be done and that is the ONLY thing the genre has not done yet.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379

scams legal...in EVE, 

I want to be able to hijack a corp from inside, take it down...corporate espionage. Just like in the real world.

Suicide gank and get stuff?  That is not real.  Suicide gets you nothing but dead.

By legal he means the GAME allows it. It doesn't mean the community has too. In UO you could put bounties on people for instance.

And then he waits out stat-loss before letting his blue buddy kill him for the bounty, which they then split...

It's a nice theory, but it needs work because the community deterrent really isn't all that effective.  

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

DayZ shows that hardcore, non-handholding, no tutorial at all, full loot, open pvp, with PvE (zombies) and perma death...is a very popular formula. You login to DayZ, having no idea what to do. Can be killed by another player in seconds. And the game has taken off, even more than EVE itself. EVE holds your hand a bit too much with their tutorial, makes it too easy.

DayZ shows...HARD...games...can be very popular. What developer thought perma death wouldn't be popular? DayZ shows it DOES. No tutorial? Every developer thought every game needs one...DayZ shows it doesn't.

I don't want a sandbox-lite. And this is why a lot of sandbox games fail...they aren't enough of a sandbox. Or they make it really easy and hold your hand along the way.

image Like I said: No game is adversely affected by a good tutorial.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

I agree with what you said, but I do have a MAJOR concern with the way EVE plays.  The game has extremely exciting things but they are way to far and between.  The combat is pretty boring as in the way you control your ship.  Also when things aren't happening in EVE the game is extremely boring just travling around looking for stuff to do.  The PvE in EvE is also extremely mindnumming.  But all in all I whole heartedly agree Sandbox elements make things VERY VERY interesting.  But this isnt just limited to EVE.  DayZ is a highly sandbox oriented game as well and it has boring elements too when you cant find anything to do.

This is why I am really looking foward to the game Archage.  The game is a mix of Sandbox and themepark.  Which I really think will help the will help fill the boring voids.  The game may not work but I really hope it does.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Krytycal

EVE has the perfect model, but the combat is as boring as watching paint dry.

Hm.

I disagree. But depending on context.

PvE combat: Boring as shit. But that is the way PvE combat is in all mmo games. Once you have learned the trade, it jsut get stale.

Large fleet PvP: Usually semi boring  too. Mostly a matter of focus fire, and very little in the way of tactics.

Gang PvP: Best combat ever. I know no other game that consistantly can give me the adrenalin kick that this does. The depth in this is amazing.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    U want a pvp game for scamming?
  • ChramChram Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

scams legal...in EVE, 

By legal he means the GAME allows it. It doesn't mean the community has too. In UO you could put bounties on people for instance. Games now a days do everything they can protect you (even so much as to have NPC's helping you in dungeons lol)

As for suiciding, in EVE it works because you have a clone anyways. I guess this wouldn't work on everything. Wouldn't make sense when applied to a lot of games!

And as for corporate espionage... a quick google will show you many companies have fallen due to ideas being stolen and other factors. All as a result of corporate espionage.

Haven't played EVE, so I wouldn't know

http://support.eveonline.com/Pages/KB/Article.aspx?id=34

It says there that scammers aren't generally punished. Can scammers be brought to "court" in EVE? To me this sounds nothing but anarchy. I guess I'd be inclined to pick this up when I'm tired of living my happy fun life in this world.

In a post scarcity world such as EVE where everyone is an immortal, one of the most important resource, if not THE most important, is your reputation. Once you are a known scammer, you will forever close a lot of doors for yourself, since a lot of people simply won't accept you into their inner circles anymore. For example, characters who had a history of large corp theft/disbanding alliances or some such will never be given the directorial roles again (assuming we are talking about competent people in the leadership).

So it's a tradeoff.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

scams legal...in EVE, 

I was wondering the same thing. In which reality is it common to scam people and not end up in jail. And hicacking corps, is that part of this reality as well.

I guess Eve could be said that it is "real" in the sense of Lord of the Flies thing. If you put a bunch of juveniles/sociopaths in a closed environment with little rules and consequences then what would happen.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Quirhid

DayZ shows that hardcore, non-handholding, no tutorial at all, full loot, open pvp, with PvE (zombies) and perma death...is a very popular formula. You login to DayZ, having no idea what to do. Can be killed by another player in seconds. And the game has taken off, even more than EVE itself. EVE holds your hand a bit too much with their tutorial, makes it too easy.

DayZ shows...HARD...games...can be very popular. What developer thought perma death wouldn't be popular? DayZ shows it DOES. No tutorial? Every developer thought every game needs one...DayZ shows it doesn't.

I don't want a sandbox-lite. And this is why a lot of sandbox games fail...they aren't enough of a sandbox. Or they make it really easy and hold your hand along the way.

Exactly. DayZ has become big because there is a huge void which ThemeParks do not fill. Once a proper sandbox game with good UI, tutorial and without perma death is released then it will be much bigger than DayZ. I would bet good money that ArcheAge will be that game.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by Yamota

Exactly. DayZ has become big because there is a huge void which ThemeParks do not fill. Once a proper sandbox game with good UI, tutorial and without perma death is released then it will be much bigger than DayZ. I would bet good money that ArcheAge will be that game.

You are only partly right. You forget that DayZ is first and foremost a first person shooter, which can easily account for why it became so popular. That's not even mentioning zombies and the paranoia of PvP. Other than that there's definitely a void to be filled as you said. DayZ is just not a very good example

• InlorInlor Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Also I dont see how scamming makes it more realistic. Maybe you go around and scam people in RL but I do not, I see it as a negative thing and it has no place in a video game.

Why is that? For me, it kinda feels more realistic. Don't get me wrong, I do not want to scam people, but I would like the fact that it is possible. Personally I think, a game, in which somebody can steal my house or my ship, is way better than - for example - a theme park game, where you are limited and know all the time that nothing "bad" could happen to you.

For example:

Last weekend a friend and I logged on to Ultima Online after a long, long time. Unfortunately, we found that our former freeshard was down, so we decided to start again on another (well known) freeshard. After character creation we walked to the West Bank Britain and asked some guy for gate to Delucia. After stepping through the gate we found ourselves in Hlyoth Lvl. 4 and died instantly. We only thought "WTF" and laughed our asses off. We had a blast getting to the surface, stealing a ship to return to Britain and finally - after 2 hours - getting revenge with some explosive potions we managed to steal from another player.

For me, a dream sandbox game would simply be a game, in which I can experience this kind of emotions :) (And yeah, UO is my dream sandbox game... Unfortunately, I also like game, that are not slowly dying).

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by hfztt
    Originally posted by Krytycal

EVE has the perfect model, but the combat is as boring as watching paint dry.

Hm.

I disagree. But depending on context.

PvE combat: Boring as shit. But that is the way PvE combat is in all mmo games. Once you have learned the trade, it jsut get stale.

Large fleet PvP: Usually semi boring  too. Mostly a matter of focus fire, and very little in the way of tactics.

Gang PvP: Best combat ever. I know no other game that consistantly can give me the adrenalin kick that this does. The depth in this is amazing.

I do get the same kick out of EVE's PvP, and DayZ's  too for that matter. I think it has more to do with the fact that there are consequences when you die, and not just a respawn timer. It makes you look at dying and PvP with a different perspective.

Take that away and EVE would have the most boring combat in the history of MMOs. How it has managed to survive and grow with such boring combat and PvE is proof that there's a strong market for sandboxes out there to the point where people are willing to overlook its flaws.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

PvP system like EVE. Sandbox PvP, full deathmatch games...are more like deathmatch fps mmo games, but extremely badly done. I want something like EVE, that hs very good PvP mechanics.

Alliances, factions, "safer" areas (and not just cities)...protected by very strong security, the stronger and more numerous they get the closer to "civilization" you get. But you can still be killed.

Full loot, everyone killable, scams legal...in EVE, scamming is rampant. I've made SO much money by scamming people, earn enough every month to play for free (on 3 accounts). I then suicide gank their ship and come with an alt and take their stuff...so I get even more stuff. This makes it hardcore, it makes it a sandbox...it makes it like how the real world is. It is REALISM.

Before you say that is a bad thing, it isn't. It makes the players stronger, learn from their mistake...it makes the game harder. It is a huge part of EVE, and is even legal. It makes for very interesting stories.

That above, is alone, what makes sandbox games (like EVE), WAY more exciting and tougher and REAL realism than themepark MMOs. This is why we like it.

Other sandbox features that aren't really in...is a living world, that evolves not only from player action (which it should), but npc, environment, natural disasters etc). Ryzom does this, but not to a really big extent. Seasons change how the game looks...animals migrate. But it feels too...scripted.

Take a space game. No space game has huge natural disasters. What about asteroids or a meteor hitting a planet (effecting the economy around that planet), and having it be visible from space? What about a meteor shower going by and damaging your ship? Why is space so...empty...when in reality, there is a lot more going on in space. What if a black hole opens and takes out a bunch of galaxies? A permanent effect on the universe. Happens all the time. What about suns super novaing? That happens all the time too. The only interesting space game is X3 Terran Conflict, because it at least feels busy and not so empty...still not great though...

This would work in any space game. But, like EVE should have npc ships travelling to planets/moons/stations etc...it would make the game feel a lot more alive. Feels kind of...well...really...dead. In terms of atmosphere (heh). Maybe not sandbox specific...but it would add a nice touch to a sandbox space game, or any space game.

So more specific sandbox features. EVE does this pretty well, but could be better...but a better way to create an empire. Now here, I'm kind of out of ideas for what COULD be done. But, maybe it needs more variety in what you can build...hirable npc mercenaries...something. I don't know. Maybe even an RTS mechanic, that would be rather unique. Something like EVE, mixed with a rts, with a Spore-style galaxy. Even in 0.0, I never really felt the "empire" aspect of it...and I was in the Goons...outside a massive amount of war and defending territories...it...something was missing to feel like an "empire"...now that I bring it up, can't really put my finger to it...maybe not fully fleshed out?

Anyway...just some things that make a good sandbox game. Really, EVE is the best one out right now and only one worth playing. So, take EVE...improve it a lot...add a lot more atmosphere...maybe even an RTS element...something...to make a better empire.

I guess this turned into more of an EVE fanboy thread x_x...not meant to. But it is only good sandbox MMO out, so I guess it does a lot of things right already.

This may be what you and many sandboxers like yourself are looking for but is certainly not what I and many sandboxers like myself are looking for.

Not interested in PvP really at all.  I don't mind if it's in games, but in my game I want it consensual, not FFA.

No interest at all in looting other people.  No interest in scams.  Sorry but this sounds like a horrible game.  It doesn't make the players stronger, IMO it makes the game weaker. 

Natural disasters - good.  Living world - idea is good, but it too vague a term and needs much more definition. 

IMO Ryzom is a horrible sandbox game.  All it is is fighting and crafting in the dirt and scheduling a fight for a resource generator farm thingy.  All crafting is the same, all fighting and magic styles are the same.  You can customize stats but there are onlya couple dozen types of armor.  Housing is instanced, can't even decorate. No way to significantly impact the world at all. 

Don't really like space games.  So far anyway.

For me the best sandbox games involve a way to play co-operatively with people.  That could involve pvp or just be invovled with crafting / terraforming.  Crafting has to be huge with customization (I don't beleive this means no dropped loot, give the adventures some excitement as well), housing, city building, farming, terraforming, animal raising, herding.  Make games of it like in ATITD where special combinations at special times in the lunar cycle produce unique results.  Fully customizable and usefull housing -  acombination of Istaria where it's in the world and you can pretty much build any structure you want, and CoH where the inside is fully customizable, or maybe like in EQ2 where it is brick and board housing. 

Group quests/events to open up new areas.  The only dungeon in Istaria was just an old mine that we found, we then had to dig it out and finish building the structures before we could enter and play in it. 

For expansions instead of buy a box and get the content, why not do it the way Istaira did.  That is roll it up in the story.  You had to build the bridge to the area then rescue the race from the evil creatures holding them...

All wrapped up in tons of quests.  (Yes sandbox and have tons of quests too) and great fluid combat.

With flight.

That is my ideal sandbox.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

scams legal...in EVE, 

True story.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

Which one is more likely:

• That no "huge market" exists for sandbox MMOs or...
    • ...every single major developer hasn't noticed the elephant in the room.

Occam's razor is a friend.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Real life is the biggest sandbox ever. If people didn't want to play they have pleanty of option to get out. Seeing as the worlds population is growing, I think maybe... there could be a virtual market for it too.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    Admittedly, I only skimmed the OP's post - but it was pretty easy to pick up on the sarcastic mocking of those that scam and suicide gank thinking those activities are hardcore.  It's definitely funny to think that many believe that, lol.  The post was a little longer than it needed to be to make fun of them...but it was still kind of funny.  +1/2...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379

Interestingly, Occam's razor was created as a tool against the very facets of human psychology that would make option 2 more likely.

Originally posted by Trionicus

Real life is the biggest sandbox ever. If people didn't want to play they have pleanty of option to get out. Seeing as the worlds population is growing, I think maybe... there could be a virtual market for it too.

Whoa, this took a dark turn; I didn't know we were making jokes about suicide.

Originally posted by KaosProphet

Interestingly, Occam's razor was created as a tool against the very facets of human psychology that would make option 2 more likely.

So... Basically you know better than the ones who do this for a living? I find it highly unlikely.

• SimphanaticSimphanatic Member Posts: 92

Scammers = thieving, no-class, no-skill people that haven't the ability to get ahead except at someone else's expense. If any game encourages scammers then it may as well encourage account hacking, operate a cash shop that incentivizes card-carrying, fragile-egoed players to purchase over-powered equipment, and provides quests that compel players to prey on the weak. Yeah, how long would a game world like that survive? LOL ... but I'm sure the folks at Big Point are working on such a model as we speak.

I guess I'm a carebear -- I've never enjoyed beating up lesser players, and I don't particularly care to be preyed upon by someone with a bigger wallet or whom, by mere circumstance (read: played in the game for much longer and has better gear) is stronger than me. Consequently, PvP means very little to me when I select a game. Mostly, what I want is:

1. A realistic game experience -- I'm quite tired of elves, werewolves, vampires, and dancing bears. Give me real guns, bows, knives, swords, etc., and skip all the BS magic and other fantacy accoutrements. It's all just become too cliche.
    2. No more tanks, dps'rs, or healers. I don't mind that some players might have heavier armor (or flack jackets/bulletproof vests), but such gear should have a cost in the context of reduced mobility and stamina, but wearing heavier armor should not automatically mean they hit for a lesser amount; I also don't mind the notion of a healer, but I'd rather see that function from the context of applying some sort of real-time battle dressing where the recipient does not come back at full strength; nor does being a "medical" specialist necessarily mean the healer can't also use a weapon as effectively as others. And no revives -- if you're in a squad and killed you're dead, period. The latter, I think, would compel players to actually think about what they're doing and, God forbid, eschew showboating and work within the group's capabilities and limitations.
    3. No dragons or other near invincible mythical beasts as bosses. Give me honest to goodness challenges. If the setting is Medieval Europe, then I want wolves that fight effectively as a pack, bears, human AI foes that die and react to changing circumstances. I also want more non-boss instances that rely on teamwork, patience, and mental acuity to accomplish.
    4. For routine quests, it doesn't need to be totally about killing X number of something or conveying some BS object from one npc to the next. More riddles (vis a vis TSW) and how about having to use a map/compass to get from one point to the next, where rivers, forests, and other terrain features are real obstacles.
    5. No flying around with elf wings, on magical horses, or other BS creatures. And if aircraft are provided, make me have to learn to use the thing and let me crash if I screw up.
    6. No cash shop items that give any player an advantage. I want a game that absolutely incentivizes players to work for their gear.
    7. No leveling. I want to get faster/stronger/more proficient with any given weapon through study and training. I'm envisioning something like THE RANGERS APPRENTICE, where players serve apprenticeships or attend battleschools to achieve even modicum level skills, where cunning, stamina, dexterity, tactical thinking, proficiency with a weapon, and ability to act as a medic comes from a combination of study, physical training, and practice; where any difficulty of quest can be taken at any time, but where success is more secure with a strong foundation in the aforementioned. In short, I do NOT want a game where a toon's proficiency is dependent upon how many of this or that they've killed. And no reward for leveling up in a gawdawful hurry -- players shouldn't be forced to "attend" schools or apprenticeships, but they should suffer long-term disadvantages for not having done so.
    8. I also want a game where I don't have to be a fighter of any sort. I'd like to have freedom to pursue life as some sort of merchant, miner, farmer, manufacturer, holy person, musician, doctor, or teacher. Of course, if I don't fight I should be at the mercy of the environment and have to pay for the services of fighters to keep myself and livelihood safe.
    9. Players must need to eat, sleep, be clothed, armed, and posses tools (if they're not fighters). All players must have some downtime for recreation and/or spiritual rejuvenation -- this will create the need for non-fighting players and will drive a thriving in-game economy and growth of local communities.
    10. The game must conform to the period -- Medieval fighters don't have airplanes and machineguns; likewise, modern-era fighters aren't running around on horses or wielding broadswords.
    In short, I want a game that is a virtual, living-breathing microcosm of life in the game-depicted era.
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

scams legal...in EVE, 

Aren't you cute for believing that.

You only go to jail for scamming small amounts in RL. Scam more than a few million and you're a "job creator".

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

So is Dilbert:

PHB: "If your idea is so good, why aren't our competitors already doing it?"

In short, the entertainment industry, of which the MMO industry is a subsector, has a proven, well documented and increasing tendency to do what's already being done.

Give me liberty or give me lasers