Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sorry GW2, Tera, and Rift, I am returning to WAR!

Comments

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
    I wonder however, why they just dont fix this game instead of making a spin-off "Wrath of Heroes" that will most likely fail even harder.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I guess we now know who the last person left who will turn off the lights in WAR is.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• NidwinNidwin Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by meddyck
    I guess we now know who the last person left who will turn off the lights in WAR is.

Nope, we don't. Nice try although.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by marsmercer

After having tried the above referenced games and having been left with a less than exciting experience. I am returning to Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

WAR is the only mmorpg to give me those "Oh, $#!+" PvP moments. An honest feeling of peril and loss exists with every keep loss and battleground defeat. Players of the above referenced games should ask themselves, what is the point of our PvP? Where does it leave the world (in which we have chosen to escape) as far as consequence to our faction's side? Is their any win or loss consequence? Only WAR has provided that experience.

Despite declining population, I choose to play that which is fun and not chase the next best thing. Otherwise, your desktop begins to look much like mine--until this very moment.

WIn loss consequence in WAR? Most of WAR amounts to either a) winning and getting points or b) losing and still getting points from pity ticks

Push to the enemy city? Oh yay, theyre locked out for an hour. Woohoo.

Only purpose to continuing to play the game is for the RR grind to 100 for gear, then you get it and theres nothing left to gain in the game.

Sorry, but I played WAR on and off since launch and was back on it right up until GW2 launch, and while the PvP is fun there is no real consequence to anything. Theres a reason why T1 zones are full of unlimited trial twinks throughout the day and the rest of the game is dead except for T4 during primetime. Its just as meaningful winning in T1 as it is in T4.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by ThaneUlfgar
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

After having tried the above referenced games and having been left with a less than exciting experience. I am returning to Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

WAR is the only mmorpg to give me those "Oh, $#!+" PvP moments. An honest feeling of peril and loss exists with every keep loss and battleground defeat. Players of the above referenced games should ask themselves, what is the point of our PvP? Where does it leave the world (in which we have chosen to escape) as far as consequence to our faction's side? Is their any win or loss consequence? Only WAR has provided that experience.

Despite declining population, I choose to play that which is fun and not chase the next best thing. Otherwise, your desktop begins to look much like mine--until this very moment.

Thanks for letting us know. If you didn't my life would have been incomplete.

*sighes with relief*

*Gasp*

Someone didn't like Guild Wars 2 and decided to return to another game.

*Gasps again*

I find it hilarious that the GW2 defenders still take time from defending its own forum and actually play the game to bash other game and read the forums from a game they are not interested in.  Its really gotten out of control with them.

On a side note: Whats changed in WAR in the last few years content and mechanic wise.  Are T2-T3 nothing more than fighting your war into a warband so you can base trade with the other side and renown grind?  Is the endgame in this game active at all?

I know that the  "best" part of this game, T1 is free for an unlimited time, use to have a copy of war and a seperate free account just so i could jump into some quick zerg pvp fun in T1 which was always fun...or is that dead now to?

Its sad seeing a game like this die slowly.  This game had potential, and it had the kind of pvp that was sorely wanted by the community back when it launched.  Perhaps it was just overhyped too much like another game that takes after it?

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

War was in many ways a great game.  I truly enjoyed the scenarios and the back and forth of the zones.  Unfortunately the fortress battles were a real mess, and the city battles stank. 

The big problem was population inbalance though.  I ended up in a merge situation where I was placed onto a server with a HORRID inbalance of population.  This ended with me just having to quit -- having them invade your capital FOUR TIMES in a day just isnt fun.  I actually moved my alt to a different server but what was the point really -- I found I didnt want to do the PVE to get PVP grind again(going from 40r63 with mostly superior wards(silly 1/5 day dungeon)) to what ended up as 40r40 or so with no wards was -- well I didnt want to run the dungeons again.

I have considered coming back a few times just to see but I figure now I would be so very outclassed (the difference between 40r63 and 40r80 with gold gear is just too sick) and for all I know the inbalance may still be there.  Plus my characters are scattered across servers.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Edit: I take it all back.  HAVE FUN OP! :D
  • WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    I'm glad your playing a game that you like. I'm also glad you posted it in the right forums. It seems not a lot of people can do both of these things anymore kudos to you.
  • NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253

I big time agree with this thread, Warhammer by far has a better PvP dynamic than GW2. Although PvE in Warhammer straight up sucked, I think they could work those issues out.

Also, they should make the game free to play all the way up to level 40 RR 100 and make it where people bought packs in the game to open up gear packs, weapon packs at a decent cost.

i also whole hardly agree that SWTOR was a big waste of their resources, Warhammer is by far a better looking and playing game (just fix the exploits and buggy animations).

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Anyone who started playing war again lately knows how big the download is ?My net is quite limited ,this is why I ask.I still have fun in gw2 but mostly in pve (which was the boring part for me in war) while wvw is not very interesting to me probably because of too much running around,less xp than pve,no way to be a real healer class etc.As many problems war had ,I enjoyed pvping there in rvr lakes,I liked the classes ,the way tanks could block you,the fact your character can be a dedicated healer.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

ermm... warhammer pvp... yeaaaa... idea was good but...

a) scenarios are a joke, they are designed.... flawed.

b) open world... rvr... if you like circle zerging, warhammer is your game.

otherwise everything after zone 2 was realy boring, sorry.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by redman875
    Originally posted by ThaneUlfgar
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Thanks for letting us know. If you didn't my life would have been incomplete.

*sighes with relief*

*Gasp*

Someone didn't like Guild Wars 2 and decided to return to another game.

*Gasps again*

I find it hilarious that the GW2 defenders still take time from defending its own forum and actually play the game to bash other game and read the forums from a game they are not interested in.  Its really gotten out of control with them.

On a side note: Whats changed in WAR in the last few years content and mechanic wise.  Are T2-T3 nothing more than fighting your war into a warband so you can base trade with the other side and renown grind?  Is the endgame in this game active at all?

I know that the  "best" part of this game, T1 is free for an unlimited time, use to have a copy of war and a seperate free account just so i could jump into some quick zerg pvp fun in T1 which was always fun...or is that dead now to?

Its sad seeing a game like this die slowly.  This game had potential, and it had the kind of pvp that was sorely wanted by the community back when it launched.  Perhaps it was just overhyped too much like another game that takes after it?

Funny how you associate my post with GW2 event hough it has nothign to do with GW2. Let me guess you saw my signature and assumed  i am a GW2 fanboy right? yeah it is hilarious indeed. ;)

• EraserheadEraserhead Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by ZigZags
    Seriously? I'm not trying to troll or anything but WAR was a farcry from a good PvP game. To me it was the first modern example of the downfall of PvP in an MMO...mainly due to the importance of instanced pvp, lack of exploration and worlds that are so very roped off and guided and instanced. Being able to just fast travel to any land in a heart beat. Capital city battles that effected no one in the actual city....because its just an instanced mini game. Im coming from UO, EQ, DAOC days and I even played Warhammer fantasy table top since I was 9 years old so I have love for Warhammer. But once you put such an emphasis on removing players from a world to get their pvp done...it feels fake and worthless to me. We need a modern version of DAOC with a little shadowbane and AoC features mixed in that actually works, is fun and gives players the freedom and flexibility to do what they want. 
    Importance on instanced PvP? Scenarios are a part of the game but most PvP happens in the open world, not instanced in any way.

Instanced cities: you have to be realistic and accept that there's a limit on the number of players any server can handle in a small area of the game which means in some cases instances are a necessity.

Warhammer is about as free as you can get. You log on you can choose to do SC's, roam in open zones for large or small scale fights or join in sieges. The only thing that is forced is city sieges when all zones have been captured by one side. They last for 1 hour and then the zones are reset and you go back about doing what you want to do. I keep reading the term "theme park" in reference to warhammer on these boards but in fact the game is more sandbox than any game I've played. You log on and make your own fun, other players are the content making it more dynamic and unpredictable than any pve/theme park type game. The terms thempark and WAR don't belong in the same sentence in any way no matter how far you stretch the definition.

Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by marsmercer After having tried the above referenced games and having been left with a less than exciting experience. I am returning to Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. WAR is the only mmorpg to give me those "Oh, $#!+" PvP moments. An honest feeling of peril and loss exists with every keep loss and battleground defeat. Players of the above referenced games should ask themselves, what is the point of our PvP? Where does it leave the world (in which we have chosen to escape) as far as consequence to our faction's side? Is their any win or loss consequence? Only WAR has provided that experience. Despite declining population, I choose to play that which is fun and not chase the next best thing. Otherwise, your desktop begins to look much like mine--until this very moment.
    ermm... warhammer pvp... yeaaaa... idea was good but...

a) scenarios are a joke, they are designed.... flawed.

b) open world... rvr... if you like circle zerging, warhammer is your game.

otherwise everything after zone 2 was realy boring, sorry.

How long is it since you played? The game has evolved somewhat and there is as much if not more small scale open rvr roaming as there is warband scale. There is some zerging but it's not all there is to the game.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Eraserhead

How long is it since you played? The game has evolved somewhat and there is as much if not more small scale open rvr roaming as there is warband scale. There is some zerging but it's not all there is to the game.

Has the game really improved that much?

Last time I played (I wanna say... 6-8months ago?) The game was basically on it's last leg. There was some decent RvR action in T3 / T4, but the RR gear was all locked in a P2W type structure.

Zones were largely dead, and it was basically grind to get to T3, and deliberately stay there grinding RR before going to T4 (as most players in T4 now have insanely high RR ranks and the gear that comes with).

Scenarios didn't seem to ever pop outside of T4, and the RvR was mostly zerg play (unless you got lucky at the lower tiers and managed to find someone wandering alone).

Personally I don't always mind the zerg warfare, but what bugged me is just how static WAR has become. Last I played there simply wasn't enough people to have more than a warband of players on each side, so everyone just stuck w/ the main force until they got bored. I used to have a blast w/ WAR back in the day, but lately it just doesn't seem to hold a candle to other PvP games anymore. Has this changed? And if so, when did this happen / why the sudden shift? Did they add something to the game since then that has brought in new players?

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by Eraserhead How long is it since you played? The game has evolved somewhat and there is as much if not more small scale open rvr roaming as there is warband scale. There is some zerging but it's not all there is to the game.
    Has the game really improved that much?

Last time I played (I wanna say... 6-8months ago?) The game was basically on it's last leg. There was some decent RvR action in T3 / T4, but the RR gear was all locked in a P2W type structure.

Zones were largely dead, and it was basically grind to get to T3, and deliberately stay there grinding RR before going to T4 (as most players in T4 now have insanely high RR ranks and the gear that comes with).

Scenarios didn't seem to ever pop outside of T4, and the RvR was mostly zerg play (unless you got lucky at the lower tiers and managed to find someone wandering alone).

Personally I don't always mind the zerg warfare, but what bugged me is just how static WAR has become. Last I played there simply wasn't enough people to have more than a warband of players on each side, so everyone just stuck w/ the main force until they got bored. I used to have a blast w/ WAR back in the day, but lately it just doesn't seem to hold a candle to other PvP games anymore. Has this changed? And if so, when did this happen / why the sudden shift? Did they add something to the game since then that has brought in new players?

I would have to say to anyone new or returning that you should aim to get into t4 and spend as little time as possible in t2 or 3. I started a new character a few weeks ago, I found t1 active and fun with open rvr and fairly regular sc pops. T2 much less so and I pretty much skipped t3 and just did band 2 scenarios until I got to r40 and rr70. That might not be how everyone wants to play but it's how I'd suggest doing it. You now have the option of using an xp stop book so you could stay in t1 below r15 and still gain renown ranks. For me the lower tiers were something to get past as quickly as possible and doing as little pve as you can get away with to get to the "main game" of t4 where pvp activity is always good.

The game changed in various ways both in terms of mechanics and how people play it. Nerfs to mechanics that allowed for mass aoe "bombing" changed warband scale rvr significantly. It also made the possibility of small scale roaming parties a lot more viable and being in a full warband not a necessity. The game isn't zerg free as inevitably players at different points will come to gather in certain places and times.

I left for gw2 for a few weeks and then returned and there was still enough population for open rvr and regular scenarios. Since then it has gradually climbed in numbers. There hasn't been anything added to the game that would cause it, I think it's mostly a case of people returning from new games that didn't match up to their pvp expectations. Just recently the wrath of heroes shut down along with a new live event and rr bonus has resulted in a noticable boost in player numbers. I play on the EU server so can't speak directly of the US one.

Edit: Didn't mention gear. The rr70 worn sovereign set is enough to get by with in T4. You can't do the highest tier sc until rr70 and you can stop xp at Rank 39 using a book pocket item if you don't want enter t4 rvr lakes until rr70. Also, you should never have to buy stuff for money. As for twinks, you come across a few in low tier but the majority are not high geared and I didn't find it much of a problem.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    The population increase could be because of the buzz Firor and Jacobs have created with their upcoming games.  Just a thought.

Definitely a possibility. I may have to give this another shot.

I did enjoy WAR a lot in the past, but I saw how it ended up.. so I'm a little iffy on returning. Plus I'd have to mess around w/ all the Curse crap again for the game to be playable (for me) again. Which would be a pain. I'd be pretty annoyed if I went back just to find it exactly how I left it (which seems likely). I am playing on NA, though, that could explain a lot of it. Games Workshop games have always been a lot more popular in europe over america for some reason.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Knowing EA and also seeing what they have already done with purchasable stat boosts, the idea of F2P in this PvP game makes me too nervous. I don't believe EA care enough about how it will affect the game to not stray deeply into Pay to Win item shop teritory. If anything will ever kill this game it would be that. For this reason I really have to say I hope I never see the day WAR goes F2P.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Four completely interchangable fantasy clones in one topic

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    Originally posted by Loke666

all games that have done a good transition are PvE games. PvP games that are F2P tends to be a disaster since they sell gear that makes you better than anyone not paying.

Heard about League Of Legends? The biggest online game in the world.

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

I heard that they'll be pushing to bring back the original Fortresses. Which is good, however I highly doubt they "fixed" the issue; so much as there's just so few players online that they don't have to worry about constant realm crashes.

Forts have been back for a long time now, with relics in them. The only issue with the relics is that a bunch of poopyheads can't help it to exploit/cheat with speedhacks to screw it up for everyone.

Sunday evening on Badlands, evening for me so afternoon US. Somewhere between 200-250 destro to push and lock Reikland for a Altdorf push. Not bad for a US server ouside US prime-time.

But go on talking about stuff you have no fucking clue about mate. But don't worry, this thread is full of poopheads talking about stuff they have no fucking clue about.

Nidwinqq rr98 Magus

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    The population increase could be because of the buzz Firor and Jacobs have created with their upcoming games.  Just a thought.

Or peeps are tired, bored of what they were playing as the shiny thing wears off and are coming back to war because it's what they actually always wanted to play.

Let's see what's going to happen after the GW2 WvW patch of zemortkitu when peeps are going to RvR in Aion mode.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Arcona
    Originally posted by Loke666

all games that have done a good transition are PvE games. PvP games that are F2P tends to be a disaster since they sell gear that makes you better than anyone not paying.

Heard about League Of Legends? The biggest online game in the world.

in fairness - I believe his comment was regarding mmorpgs

• VymmVymm Member Posts: 112

I came back to WAR as well this week.  It has best pvp right now a game can offer with modern day advances (DAOC, still probably the better pure PVP game).  I also find that most of my PVP friends are tending to venture back to it as a stopping place for (as people mentioned) the upcoming games.  I did play Rift for a bit and the PVP was fun but not many teams are focused on PVP that I could find.  Maybe I didnt look hard enough but not many were advertising to PVP only. 

Vymm