Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 things I wish GW2 would change

PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104

GW2 is a nice game but a few things bug me that I wish they would change/fix/add:

1.   I'm sure there is a reason there are  no mounts in the game but its a big world and taking waypoints alot adds up in $$$.

2.  Dont like the "downleveling" feature imo.   If I want to steamroll mobs 5-10 lvs lower than me, i would like the option.

3. When you die, its awkward getting back,  only thing I can do it go to the nearest waypoint which costs money.   Unless someone nearby revives you.   They should just let you go run back to your corpse like in Wow.

Just my 2 cents, but these 3 things I wish Anet would address, but good game overall.

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

Comments

• PranksterPrankster Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Originally posted by Paddyspub

GW2 is a nice game but a few things bug me that I wish they would change/fix/add:

1.   I'm sure there is a reason there are  no mounts in the game but its a big world and taking waypoints alot adds up in $$$.

2.  Dont like the "downleveling" feature imo.   If I want to steamroll mobs 5-10 lvs lower than me, i would like the option.

3. When you die, its awkward getting back,  only thing I can do it go to the nearest waypoint which costs money.   Unless someone nearby revives you.   They should just let you go run back to your corpse like in Wow.

Just my 2 cents, but these 3 things I wish Anet would address, but good game overall.

I wouldent mind seeing mounts. And I am sure they will introduce them at some point. Right now most people are still exploring the hell out of the map so maybe not so necessary.

I love the downleveling feature. I like havinig to actually play, and recieving rewards for doing so even if I have technically outleveled the area. I have toons in the 40's who havent been out of the 5 starting areas.

Death Penalty. If anything i think this relates to number one more then anything. Wouldent suck quite so much if i had a ride. But I think its an adequate punishment for death.

Refugee from UO,EQ,AC,AC2,AO,DAOC,L2,SB,HZ,CoH,PT,EQ2,WoW,VG,SWG,EVE,WAR,DF,MO,AI,GA,LOTRO, SWTOR... Gw2 on Deck

• DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189
    I wouldn't mind having mount as vanity. It's not really need for the world.

I'm happy with down levelling, that's mean unexplored low level area still fun to visit.

I'm happy with current Death Penalty. I don't find dead body run is fun. With downlevel feature, there often someone nearby to come and rez. The cost of waypoint and armor repair is enough.
  • PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

1) Mounts would be nice, but with the fast travel in this game, not needed.  They would be cosmetic only and as such not a priority.  I'm sure most all classes have speed boost skills as well?

2) Forcing players to fight on an "even" field with all content is a good thing.  If you're level 80 in decent gear, you'll steamroll low level content as it is.  Also, wow achievements are a joke considering you can eventually go back and solo raid content to get the "achievements"...  In GW2 if you have an achievement it's because you earned it one way or another (hopefully).  Finishing a dungeon, any of them, takes a bit of skill as you'll not be able to do it as a high level.

3) So you want zero death penalty?  They charge you repair costs and teleport costs (both are pretty cheap).  Running in this game doesn't really exist considering there is a waypoint within 60 seconds of any area of the map pretty much.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    I have to wonder, do people seriously enjoy going back to lower level zones and one shotting lower level greyed mobs, for no exp or loot? And corpse running? Even in a game as forgiving as Rift (the MMO I played before GW2), I found it to be extremely tedious.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525

Would address? These are design decisions. /thread

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by eggy08

Yes, they are design decisions but that doesn't mean that the OP has to like them. In the OP's opinion they are flaws and make the game less enjoyable. Therefore, wheather they are design decisions or not they should be addressed in his opinion. /thread concelled 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Like I've said before, I agree with #1 completely.  No flying mounts, and maybe no terribly fast speeds, but the aesthetic would be wonderful for such a big world.  I mean come on, there are no horses or camels or anything in Tyria?
  • eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by f0dell54
    Originally posted by eggy08

Yes, they are design decisions but that doesn't mean that the OP has to like them. In the OP's opinion they are flaws and make the game less enjoyable. Therefore, wheather they are design decisions or not they should be addressed in his opinion. /thread concelled 

Ok cool, here we go:

1. You got waypoints, GW1 didn't have mounts, blah blah, not worth it.

2. Ya... except DEs have to scale to difficulty, good luck lvl 2 guy, I'm lvl 80.

3. Suppose they could change this... not that it matters.

Woo. /thread

• PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104
    I should clarify about the 1st point about mounts when I made the thread.  I dont care for flying mounts, probably wouldnt work or fit right for the game.  Just having ground mounts at some point would be nice.  Maybe after the game been out for some odd months, when most players have discovered a majority of the world. 

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

• Calhoun619Calhoun619 Member Posts: 126
    The only thing they need to "address" is letting us take skills from mobs like GW1. I loved skill hunting and I think it would add alot of progression variety.
  • HyperwolfHyperwolf Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Like I've said before, I agree with #1 completely.  No flying mounts, and maybe no terribly fast speeds, but the aesthetic would be wonderful for such a big world.  I mean come on, there are no horses or camels or anything in Tyria?

OMG CAMELS! How awesome would that be?! I do think that GW2 is a very easy game world to get around in, but mounts look great and a lot of people are used to them from other games so hope they make an appearance. 

If they gave any sort of speed advantage at all, they would be necessary for everyone in WvW since mobility is so important there, and being able to rundown people on foot (while cool for the rider) would be a rage inducing issue. On a side note I recently noticed that you can upgrade some castles with waypoints for a massive amount of supply. Have yet to see it happen but very interesting. 

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks
    ~ WC

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

I wouldn't mind mounts too, for vanity purposes. It also adds to the things us players would work towards.

This is a conflict of interest. I DON'T WANT high level players to steamroll mobs in my area. I agree there should be an option, even just for the sake of having it. My idea is to put all those who refuse to downscale in their own "overflow server". That way people like me wouldn't be affected by your decision.

I'm fine eitherway. I don't die so much anyway. Maybe until I get into WvWvW.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    I hope OP dont mind that I add something in here, something I wish was actually in the game is the possibility to mindlessly grind. Sometimes I don't feel like doing anything special just taking it easy and grind some mobs however the exp is pretty terrible from normal grind imo.
  • nightfallrobnightfallrob Member Posts: 167

I wish they would they would take the idea of player keeps and cities, especially siegable (that's probably not a word lol) player keeps from AoC and implement it in a future expansion myself. WvWvW is fun, but fighting for your own piece of virtual ground is more fun to me. 

Mounts, I'd like to see for vanity purposes like another poster mentioned. Speed isn't the issue for so much as the idea that some kind of fantasy mount would be fun.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    I like the skill hunsting idea. I would only agree to mounts when the world gets larger.... like maybe 4 times it size. I wouldnt make much sense though lore wise nor scientifically. Mounts would ruin the need for the Waypoints and asura gates, even though they are much faster and cheaper theoretically then mounts would be, which imo ruin immersion. Also, the mechanice wouldnt allow it. There are some small spaces that just  wouldnt make sense with a mount, especially with jumping puzzles. Also, the world never really had any animals like that (horses). While they do have Dolyaks, asura inventions, charr inventions, and cows, it still... doesnt make sense. The run back to corpse thing would also ruin the need for reviving, and really is no different... you still have to go their either way. It would also suck having ea bodies everywhere, becuase ik someone will decide hey lets all kill ourselves in LA! and there will be a hundred or so pointless bodies in the world.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

The reason is because there is a waypoint system.  Mounts do nothing but make you miss the action.  The optimum and preferred game mode is to travel from point A to B killing everything and exploring everything in your path.  Mounts add to the illusion of bread crumbing and hand holding.

Down leveling is one the greatest features of the game, it ensure the entire world is open at any given time, instead of throttling everyone into 1 or 2 small endgame zones.  Thats not to say that doesnt happen to an extent in GW2 but its nice knowing I can farm all the zones I missed without having it so frikking boring I quit within a few days. (which I am doing as we speak, going for 100 map completion befroe working on endgame).

Its not harsh enough IMO, but it does make you think twice about what you do and where you go.  I personally would like to see that it requires you to return to your body and recover your corpse but thats too hardcore for some.

Sounds liek the game isnt for you so bye.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

1. If mounts are "needed" only for vanity purposes - then why not do what all MMO HAVEN'T done - just provide them in a way you cannot use them outside of cities. THEN you have them as "pets" or "vanity" - but still uses the built-in Lore (Gates, Waypoints etc) to travel...

2. NO NO NO - please NO

3. I think that current GW2 game implementation of what happens when you die (even including the "near-death" mode) is great - please do not change a thing. As for the money invloved - its nothing - once you lvl enough you have enough money and you understand it doesn't really matter.

Just my 2 cents...

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878
    Originally posted by Shaike

1. If mounts are "needed" only for vanity purposes - then why not do what all MMO HAVEN'T done - just provide them in a way you cannot use them outside of cities. THEN you have them as "pets" or "vanity" - but still uses the built-in Lore (Gates, Waypoints etc) to travel...

2. NO NO NO - please NO

3. I think that current GW2 game implementation of what happens when you die (even including the "near-death" mode) is great - please do not change a thing. As for the money invloved - its nothing - once you lvl enough you have enough money and you understand it doesn't really matter.

1 minipets

2  agreed with no

i do not want mounts  taking up a large ammount of my screen. and gw does not seem to have many mountable animals

• exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

GW2 is a nice game but a few things bug me that I wish they would change/fix/add: 1.   I'm sure there is a reason there are  no mounts in the game but its a big world and taking waypoints alot adds up in $$$. 2.  Dont like the "downleveling" feature imo.   If I want to steamroll mobs 5-10 lvs lower than me, i would like the option. 3. When you die, its awkward getting back,  only thing I can do it go to the nearest waypoint which costs money.   Unless someone nearby revives you.   They should just let you go run back to your corpse like in Wow. Just my 2 cents, but these 3 things I wish Anet would address, but good game overall.

1 - this can be done in the future

2 - this option makes the game content multiply by 5 ( almost ), when you complete your race area even if you are level 80 you can enjoy the other races starter areas and still have a challenge doing them for the first time.

3 - i like this , you know that you will lose money if you die , so it makes you try harder not to die.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

1. I don't know. I don't remember seeing any kind of mount so far in the GW universe, so it would really feel forced to feature them, IMO. Maybe they have plans for some kind of mounted combat to justify the addition of mounts, but it would really feel weird.

2. Definitely no. Downleveling is one of the best features for me, it allows me to fully enjoy every area in the game while still getting rewards, it keeps all areas viable to everyone. I don't understand why someone would want to undo one of the most amazing PvE ideas I've seen.

3. Corpse running, really? I feel like it is an intended money sink, so it is part of the penality for dying and you can actually bypass it if someone is close to you, no matter which class they are as everyone can revive...

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

1. no, and yes there are reasons for the no mounts policy

2. no, one of the best things in the game is the downleveling

3. not really important. BTW are you just cheap? the game needs goldsinks you know...

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

1. I like the sense of scale and I try not to use the waypoints due to saving money for my culture armour. However I would not like to see mounts - it would reduce the feeling of size and make events even more of a zerg. At least at the moment an event affecting a waypoint is locked off.

2. The downloevlling feature is golden. There is no reasonable arguement to make the game easier - let's leave it a challenge to step out of your door, wherever that is eh?

3. More awkward to get to a body stuck deep in the doodoo where you have little chance of getting out. This change would add little if anything to the game and require considerable resources to change. Not a priority, nor a good idea in my opinion.