Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATE NOTES 09.09.12

2»

Comments

• DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    I believe of you switch to the other pet. After the cool down is done you can switch back to te old pet and he is now rezzed.

it's a long cooldown when stuff is going down.

^Yes

And if you had the regen signet, your pet would never be completely zero health, so you could revive him in much less than 20 seconds. Sometimes my pet would limp back at 80% health, waiting for me to "revive" him. 5 seconds tops and he's back in the fight. Perhaps this was unintended behavior?

C'est la vie. Mild nerfs are to be expected early in a game's life. It's just weird that they seemed to think this helped Rangers.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    I believe of you switch to the other pet. After the cool down is done you can switch back to te old pet and he is now rezzed.

it's a long cooldown when stuff is going down.

ya but you have a whole other pet to use in the mean time.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Good patch notes.  Hope they continue posting the release notes (they only have two up currently, and I assume they've patched more than that)...

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by Darkmoth
    Thank you for posting that, but that's the comment that confused me.

As I understand it, before this patch you had two pets MAX. If both died, you had to get out of combat before either came back to life. This is, I believe, why Rangers revived their pets in the first place (it's certainly why I did).

After this patch, swapping the dead pet in automatically revives it, allowing you to bring it back out in 20 seconds. Essentially, you can chain-rez in combat.

If that's the case, this is a huge buff - no need to revive a pet in battle, which means more time for the pew pew pew. However, if they have simply removed the ability to revive, then this is likely a nerf - you can't rez your pet in combat, so you have to try to get OOC or remain petless.

I suppose I'll have to verify this in-game. There's a 10-15 minute fight against a giant in Diessa Plateau where I normally revive Pooh Bear 3 or 4 times, and I can't get OOC because of the giant's huge AE. A good place to test.

that part is in no way changed, it has always been that way. If your pet is dead the cooldown to switch is much longer so you can rez your pet that way but you will be petless for up to I think the CD is like 40 seconds if both pets are dead. I personally dont know why they removed the rez pet option.. if you dont want to rez the pet... DONT! The reason they didnt add this during beta was because the rangers hated the idea in beta. >.<

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Ranger

• Beastmastery Trait: Instinctual Bond – Now grants 5 seconds of quickness to the player’s pet and can only occur once every 50 seconds.

• Pets can no longer be revived using the “F” prompt. This is because you can either use F4 to swap pets which will bring that pet back alive or you can wait until you are out of combat at which point you pet will revive automatically. We felt it was doing a disservice to Ranger players to incentivize them to spend a long time reviving their pet when it was a very inefficient thing to do and happened after combat anyway. This will also help clear up “F” to interact functionality.

Oh so that's why i couldn't revive my pet.  I made a ranger earlier today and was wondering when they changed it.  It's a lot better this way, in my opinion.

Originally posted by observer

Ranger

• Beastmastery Trait: Instinctual Bond – Now grants 5 seconds of quickness to the player’s pet and can only occur once every 50 seconds.

• Pets can no longer be revived using the “F” prompt. This is because you can either use F4 to swap pets which will bring that pet back alive or you can wait until you are out of combat at which point you pet will revive automatically. We felt it was doing a disservice to Ranger players to incentivize them to spend a long time reviving their pet when it was a very inefficient thing to do and happened after combat anyway. This will also help clear up “F” to interact functionality.

Oh so that's why i couldn't revive my pet.  I made a ranger earlier today and was wondering when they changed it.  It's a lot better this way, in my opinion.

How is it better? They simply removed an ability. It's a mild nerf.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Hooray, the ranger pets drove me insane since I often thought they were a downed player and wasted time more than once to revive one that the lazy ranger didnt bother with himself.
  • JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

All I care about here is that as a non ranger I won't be accidentally trying to revive their pets rather than loot or revive actual players.

That was making me not want rangers around me in any way.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Pets can no longer be revived using the “F” prompt. This is because you can either use F4 to swap pets which will bring that pet back alive or you can wait until you are out of combat at which point you pet will revive automatically. We felt it was doing a disservice to Ranger players to incentivize them to spend a long time reviving their pet when it was a very inefficient thing to do and happened after combat anyway. This will also help clear up “F” to interact functionality.

Thank...fucking...god...

Words cannot explain how annoying it was to deal with these running around all the time especially when they were cluttered along with people actually needing assistance.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Ranger

It removes the unnecessary task of reviving pets, which takes longer than just switching pets.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Nadia

UPDATE NOTES 09.09.12

Ranger

• Pets can no longer be revived using the “F” prompt.

great change

added source link

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Update-Notes-September-9th-2012

That and:

Fixes for various map bugs that allowed players to get out of the map. Interact “F” should use the following priority:

1. 1) Your current selection
    2. 2) Loot
    3. 3) Revive/Stomp
    4. 4) Anything else

I really wish they would have different/severable keys for some of those things.    I'd like 'loot' to be "L" perhaps. 
  • MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Pets can no longer be revived using the “F” prompt. This is because you can either use F4 to swap pets which will bring that pet back alive or you can wait until you are out of combat at which point you pet will revive automatically. We felt it was doing a disservice to Ranger players to incentivize them to spend a long time reviving their pet when it was a very inefficient thing to do and happened after combat anyway. This will also help clear up “F” to interact functionality.

Thank...fucking...god...

Words cannot explain how annoying it was to deal with these running around all the time especially when they were cluttered along with people actually needing assistance.

That.  Plus it pisses me off to no end that people just don't F4 swap them.   I figured that out the second I had two pets and the first one went down.  

Sure, on rare occasions you'll end up with two 'dead' pets and  you're behind the 8-ball with that issue as you're on cool-down for one, but seriously I see so many run in with dead pets, play with dead pets, and not swap their dead pets...   It's really frustrating...     

I mean, is it really that hard to mash a few buttons during combat and watch what happens?  Is it?    It's not like if you die you have to do an EQ corpse run or something....

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Interact “F” should use the following priority:

1) Your current selection

2) Loot

3) Revive/Stomp

4) Anything else

Oh God a million times thank you, Anet!!!  Nothing like having NPC quest dialogue pop up every time you try to revive or loot, especially during combat.  image

This, the "leave queue" option, the "craft directly from craft inventory" update, and, of course, the AH up and running resolves about 80% of the issues I have with the game.  Shaweet!!!   image

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Thank...fucking...god...

Hopefully they'll do us one even better and prioritize players over NPC's.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    this is a nerf to rangers, I play one, in multiplayer situations.  But honestly, I understand why they changed it.  It's too bad that everyone thinks our pets are so useless.  They honestly aren't.

How is it a nerf?  Seems like a huge buff all around.

It removes the unnecessary task of reviving pets, which takes longer than just switching pets.

It's not unnecessary unless you run with two of the same pet.

Pets are vastly different. The Bear is an amazing tank, it actually has a limited invulnerability ability. The Jaguar hits crazy hard and can steath on his first attack, the Raven can Blind and so on. Ideally you're using the right pet for the right situation. So, if you're running with a Bear/Moa combo for condition removal and heals, the death of one is something you'd want to remedy, since the other does different things. I tend to run with Jaguar/Bear.

As far as it taking a long time to revive pets, it's fairly quick if you have a Signet of the Wild.

During a boss fight like the Diessa Giant, even a bear will die once or (rarely) twice during the ten+ minute fight. Lesser pets usually don't survive a single stomp, so swapping is merely a temporary solution. During that same ten minutes my Bear is going to revive 6 or 7 players, so it's valuable to have him up. There are other fights where some deaths are guaranteed - the Asuran Fire Elemental, for example.

Look, I'll adapt. But it was a useful ability that seems to have been removed for no good reason. Why didn't they simply make it so that only the Ranger could see his pet's revive flag?