Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Who the frack is Fawcett?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,065Member Uncommon

This afternoon while exploring i found an empty cave...atleast it seemed empty.  But after solving some puzzles (not jumping puzzles) it lead me to the chambers of FAwcetts ghostly crew.... Yes you are thinking correctly. Those are ghostly pirates.

 

In the end it lead me to a huge underwater cave, with in the middle of it a floating pirate ship, with no direct way to enter it.

 

Now my task was to find a way to get on that ship, when i logged i was almost there, expecting to find a huge treasure on the ship.

 

 

point is, if i would have left the small cave assuming it was empty without realising there might be more to it, i would have missed one of my best MMO discoveries ever.

 

Now i am wondering, how many of these adventures did i miss?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

«1

Comments

  • heartlessheartless Brooklyn, NYPosts: 4,993Member
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

    This afternoon while exploring i found an empty cave...atleast it seemed empty.  But after solving some puzzles (not jumping puzzles) it lead me to the chambers of FAwcetts ghostly crew.... Yes you are thinking correctly. Those are ghostly pirates.

     

    In the end it lead me to a huge underwater cave, with in the middle of it a floating pirate ship, with no direct way to enter it.

     

    Now my task was to find a way to get on that ship, when i logged i was almost there, expecting to find a huge treasure on the ship.

     

     

    point is, if i would have left the small cave assuming it was empty without realising there might be more to it, i would have missed one of my best MMO discoveries ever.

     

    Now i am wondering, how many of these adventures did i miss?

    From my experience, every zone has at least one hidden puzzle thingy.

    image

  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,065Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

    This afternoon while exploring i found an empty cave...atleast it seemed empty.  But after solving some puzzles (not jumping puzzles) it lead me to the chambers of FAwcetts ghostly crew.... Yes you are thinking correctly. Those are ghostly pirates.

     

    In the end it lead me to a huge underwater cave, with in the middle of it a floating pirate ship, with no direct way to enter it.

     

    Now my task was to find a way to get on that ship, when i logged i was almost there, expecting to find a huge treasure on the ship.

     

     

    point is, if i would have left the small cave assuming it was empty without realising there might be more to it, i would have missed one of my best MMO discoveries ever.

     

    Now i am wondering, how many of these adventures did i miss?

    From my experience, every zone has at least one hidden puzzle thingy.

    Yes, thats what they said, but at level 40 this is the first one i found... No going to read about it anywhere tough, that would spoil the best part of these puzzles, the part of finding it.

     

    It was just awesome, the way i discovered it actually was a puzzle.

    Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

  • heartlessheartless Brooklyn, NYPosts: 4,993Member
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

    Yes, thats what they said, but at level 40 this is the first one i found... No going to read about it anywhere tough, that would spoil the best part of these puzzles, the part of finding it.

     

    It was just awesome, the way i discovered it actually was a puzzle.

    Yea, that's why I can't understand how people say that there is no exploration in this game where every zone has hidden puzzles and locations.

    image

  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,065Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

    Yes, thats what they said, but at level 40 this is the first one i found... No going to read about it anywhere tough, that would spoil the best part of these puzzles, the part of finding it.

     

    It was just awesome, the way i discovered it actually was a puzzle.

    Yea, that's why I can't understand how people say that there is no exploration in this game where every zone has hidden puzzles and locations.

    Maybe because they havent hidden any carrots?

    Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

  • MMOwandererMMOwanderer LisbonPosts: 415Member
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

    Yes, thats what they said, but at level 40 this is the first one i found... No going to read about it anywhere tough, that would spoil the best part of these puzzles, the part of finding it.

     

    It was just awesome, the way i discovered it actually was a puzzle.

    Yea, that's why I can't understand how people say that there is no exploration in this game where every zone has hidden puzzles and locations.

    Maybe because they havent hidden any carrots?

    Dude, chill on the insults.

    On your first question, i don't know if there's any more stuff like this. I think remember a thread talking the same stuff you found. Well, the only solution is to keep exploring and finding out. After all, there's that hidden cave with the maze and stuff (don't remember what it's called).

  • Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

    Yes, thats what they said, but at level 40 this is the first one i found... No going to read about it anywhere tough, that would spoil the best part of these puzzles, the part of finding it.

     

    It was just awesome, the way i discovered it actually was a puzzle.

    Yea, that's why I can't understand how people say that there is no exploration in this game where every zone has hidden puzzles and locations.

    Maybe because they havent hidden any carrots?

    Ahhh but they have.  I was working on completion in a zone and was trying to uncover the last of my fog of war in a swampy area on the edge of the map.  No puzzle in this case and actually nothing towards completion but instead 2 big lumbering champions in the same cave with lots of friends outside.  It was kind of weird and I watched and listened to them for a bit.  I really wanted to see what was in the cave but two champions is just a bit much for me solo (hehe).

     

    Then I figured what the hey - I was already considering waypointing out of the area why not just do a mad dash into the cave and see what was there.  It wasn't super deep and when I got to the end there was a chest - opened the chest and got some rewards but was definitely feeling the ground begin to shake from the champions.  Turned around and fled right between them...... What was hilarious is that they kept yelling at me that it was no fair of me to move so fast and confuse them.  Did I mention that this character is a Norn - first time I've felt like I moved fast in the game:)

     

  • KuinnKuinn MestaPosts: 2,093Member
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

    This afternoon while exploring i found an empty cave...atleast it seemed empty.  But after solving some puzzles (not jumping puzzles) it lead me to the chambers of FAwcetts ghostly crew.... Yes you are thinking correctly. Those are ghostly pirates.

     

    In the end it lead me to a huge underwater cave, with in the middle of it a floating pirate ship, with no direct way to enter it.

     

    Now my task was to find a way to get on that ship, when i logged i was almost there, expecting to find a huge treasure on the ship.

     

     

    point is, if i would have left the small cave assuming it was empty without realising there might be more to it, i would have missed one of my best MMO discoveries ever.

     

    Now i am wondering, how many of these adventures did i miss?

    From my experience, every zone has at least one hidden puzzle thingy.

     

    I found 2 on Diessa Plateau. Well not really hidden since both are in plain sight kind of, but puzzle thingies none the less! 3 if you count the jumping puzzle for a skill point.

  • VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,970Member Uncommon
    I'm sure you had a great time. I can't help but think one simple thing about all this exploring though... there are way less caves, dungeons, groves, underwater things etc. etc. in GW2 compared to many other MMOs. If those MMOs didn't have a quest leading you to them would you have got the same feeling in those games as you do in GW2? Is the only thing thats good about this 'exploration' that there isn't a quest leading you there? Because from what I can see, that's the only difference here.. no quest. Why does that make the caves in GW2 more wonderful than those in other games?
  • IamAproposIamApropos San Antonio, TXPosts: 173Member

    I completely agree that some of the best ever experiences in any MMORPG has been in finding hidden secret dungeons.

    I wont spoil to much in what I'm going to describe just how I found it.   In Lions Arch I was messing around trying to get to a Vista above The Mystic Forge.  When I finally reached it I wanted down the quickest way possible and so I decided I was going to jump off.  Upon jumping I figured I was dead when I hit the bottom low and behold I fell into a hidden well that was filled with water.  It lead to a puzzle Dungeon with a treasure chest at the end....

     

    Incase you missed it ( I FELL OFF A VISTA INTO A HIDDEN WELL)!!! You can not reach the well from the ground...

     

    I've found and figured out on my own 3 puzzle dungeons in Lions Arch, 1 in Gendarran Fields, another in the Charr starter zone, and a few more sprinkled about.  The last one I stumbled on was in the zone with Ebonhawke behind a water fall, just epic!!!!

     

    This makes the PVE for me sooo incredible and happy that my money is definitely well spent.

     

     

    Someone asked what makes these different??  Imagination and the fact there are usually events and story within these hidden puzzle dungeons that make them that much more special.   Yes blah blah bull crap other games have blah blah bs... The way its presented in GW2 is just amazing, simlpy amazing.

    IamApropos
    image
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

  • KuinnKuinn MestaPosts: 2,093Member
    Originally posted by Vannor
    I'm sure you had a great time. I can't help but think one simple thing about all this exploring though... there are way less caves, dungeons, groves, underwater things etc. etc. in GW2 compared to many other MMOs. If those MMOs didn't have a quest leading you to them would you have got the same feeling in those games as you do in GW2? Is the only thing thats good about this 'exploration' that there isn't a quest leading you there? Because from what I can see, that's the only difference here.. no quest. Why does that make the caves in GW2 more wonderful than those in other games?

     

    Because you discover them on your own and have to figure out what's going on? Maybe find some hidden loot w/e. Unexpected stuff is fun.

  • PsychowPsychow SF Giants Territory, CAPosts: 1,784Member
    Originally posted by Vannor
    I'm sure you had a great time. I can't help but think one simple thing about all this exploring though... there are way less caves, dungeons, groves, underwater things etc. etc. in GW2 compared to many other MMOs. If those MMOs didn't have a quest leading you to them would you have got the same feeling in those games as you do in GW2? Is the only thing thats good about this 'exploration' that there isn't a quest leading you there? Because from what I can see, that's the only difference here.. no quest. Why does that make the caves in GW2 more wonderful than those in other games?

     

    Because it's GW2 and apparently anything in GW2 is better thana anythign else ever created in human history.

     

    Plus the no-vegitable (carrot) thing.

  • IamAproposIamApropos San Antonio, TXPosts: 173Member
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by Vannor
    I'm sure you had a great time. I can't help but think one simple thing about all this exploring though... there are way less caves, dungeons, groves, underwater things etc. etc. in GW2 compared to many other MMOs. If those MMOs didn't have a quest leading you to them would you have got the same feeling in those games as you do in GW2? Is the only thing thats good about this 'exploration' that there isn't a quest leading you there? Because from what I can see, that's the only difference here.. no quest. Why does that make the caves in GW2 more wonderful than those in other games?

     

    Because you discover them on your own and have to figure out what's going on? Maybe find some hidden loot w/e. Unexpected stuff is fun.

    this and the fact most of them do not give you clues to figure it out.  One of the Pirate puzzle dungeons has a ghost talking the entire time and has a really well written dialogue.  I have tried "exploring" in other games like RIFT, TSW, and like TERA or even SWTOR... Don't get me started, I wanted to blow my brains out with how boring "Exploring" was in any of those games hell with any game in last 10 years.   No story behind anything you find, no hidden puzzles to figure out, no booby traps, no treasure, NO REWARD.

    Finding the hidden puzzle dungeons is the first step, figuring them out is awesome.

     

    For instance the one I did in the Charr starter zone has booby traps and all and when I got to what I figured was the end and had a little mini boss guarding a treasure, I realized there were little bricks sticking out in an angled pattern up a spiral pillar.

    Sure enough it set me on a further adventure with yet another puzzle to figure out opening yet another path... Absolutely AMAZING!!

    IamApropos
    image
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

  • tank017tank017 Glendale, CAPosts: 2,192Member
    sounds like a reference to The Goonies.
  • GurpslordGurpslord Hutchinson, MNPosts: 350Member

    Aye, I found a few places like this just by exploring and I refuse to look them up!  The most frustrating one was an underwater Asuran lab with a defunct wormhole thing.  Worked on that stupid puzzle for like 5 hours..BUT I solved it, great feeling.

     

    Heck I've even found a few places where they're like mini puzzles.  Some jumps that lead to a chest but no big solution or achiievement or anything.  Love this game.

  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Cedar Springs, MIPosts: 762Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

    Yes, thats what they said, but at level 40 this is the first one i found... No going to read about it anywhere tough, that would spoil the best part of these puzzles, the part of finding it.

     

    It was just awesome, the way i discovered it actually was a puzzle.

    Yea, that's why I can't understand how people say that there is no exploration in this game where every zone has hidden puzzles and locations.

    The Devs of GW2 have heard the cries of Explorer Players everywhere it seems. Exploration is a key component of design in GW2. I am mostly explorer and this MMO  has made exploring fun and treated Exploration with respect. Most MMOs aren't designed for explorer types, not really.

    I was very hesitant, even decided against, Guild Wars 2 originally. I stated my reasons in other threads. Many, many people here on these forums talked about the features and the fun they were having, explained (much better than Anet could) what GW2 was all about. But it was what Players were saying about Exploration that got me real curious, and I knew that if I missed this one I would kick myself into another State.

    So... a few days after release I decided to go buy it and try it out. I was kind of expecting to be slightly disappointed to be honest... disappointed I am NOT however. I am so glad I decided to eat crow and buy GW2. I am having a boatload of fun exploring and loving it to pieces, as well as all the other features.

    Some of us had doubts as to whether GW2 would qualify as a MMO by old timers standards... it qualifies, better than most so called MMOs out now. Surprised I am and also glad for it.

    Not everything is perfect... some class balance issues need to be addressed, bugs, login problems, all this is however quite common for a new MMO. I would say myself I think GW2's release has been fairly good as compared to other MMOs. Problems yes, but a Fail? No. The Devs did good. This Explorer is loving it.

    That is why I haven't posted here in days. Cyas... time to play again ;)

  • VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,970Member Uncommon

    i wasn't asking for the games details, I've played it to death. I would like to know the psychology behind it. I mean, why is it more fun finding a cave on your own? Why is that a greater sense of accomplishment? Having to do things to progress though an area, like puzzles, isn't new, WoW does it, EQ2 does it, Rift does it etc. etc. Why is it better here? The puzzles are actually much simpler than in other MMOs. And why isn't exploration considered a carrot on a stick? It's still do this and you might get this... Explore and you might find something, not so different from run dungeon and you might get something.

    As I'm writing this I can see it's starting to sound trollish. I'm being serious though, I'm a fan of the game. I'd like to know how people justify this attitude towards GW2 when I honestly think it's been in almost every MMO out there. I was playing EQ2 today.. stumbled upon some rumbler caves in the Thundering Steppes. No quest lead me there, decided to go in. It was a little maze like going through tunnels with a few rewards here and there. There are many more examples out there, that was probably one of the worst ones but it was fresh in my mind. Why is GW2 getting praised for this stuff while others arn't or havn't?

  • solarinesolarine IstanbulPosts: 1,203Member

    Good one, that.

    Noticably easier than some previous ones like Goemm's Lab and not nearly outright "puzzling" as the  Sorrowful Sound underwater one was the first time I saw it... but, yeah, a bit more mysteriously adventurous and Goonies-beautiful. :)

     

  • IamAproposIamApropos San Antonio, TXPosts: 173Member
    Originally posted by Vannor

    i wasn't asking for the games details, I've played it to death. I would like to know the psychology behind it. I mean, why is it more fun finding a cave on your own? Why is that a greater sense of accomplishment? Having to do things to progress though an area, like puzzles, isn't new, WoW does it, EQ2 does it, Rift does it etc. etc. Why is it better here? The puzzles are actually much simpler than in other MMOs. And why isn't exploration considered a carrot on a stick? It's still do this and you might get this... Explore and you might find something, not so different from run dungeon and you might get something.

    As I'm writing this I can see it's starting to sound trollish. I'm being serious though, I'm a fan of the game. I'd like to know how people justify this attitude towards GW2 when I honestly think it's been in almost every MMO out there. I was playing EQ2 today.. stumbled upon some rumbler caves in the Thundering Steppes. No quest lead me there, decided to go in. It was a little maze like going through tunnels with a few rewards here and there. There are many more examples out there, that was probably one of the worst ones but it was fresh in my mind. Why is GW2 getting praised for this stuff while others arn't or havn't?

    The simple fact you can even say that other games have anything remotely comparable sounds incredibly naive and ignorant which in turn will make it impossible for us to accurately inform you of why we feel Guild Wars 2 has done these things "better".

    I've played all major released MMO's since 1990's and I've not seen one game do anything like these puzzle dungeons excluding single player games like Tomb Raider.

     

    I'll give it a shot I suppose since you did point out you sounded like a troll but honestly want to know.   My friend had 6 trees in his back yard when I grew up.  His dad let him build a tree fort; which we spent a lot of time in. With our imagination we thought up crazy adventures in deep jungles with caves and hidden treasure.  Later that year I moved to a place that was deep in the mountains with lots of forrest and old abondoned mining camps.   Your simplistic comparison is that since my friend had trees in his back yard there is no difference then the forrest surrounding my house in the woods.

    The difference is yes even though they are still tree's, just a lot more of them, we had more of an adventure because we could go find things on our own, make our own path, our own adventure.   Our minds didn't have to imagine all of the adventure we had now hidden things to find for ourselves that weren't laid out for use and hand held us with hints.

     

    Does RIFT and other games before have dungeons and such? Yes... DUH!! but nothing hidden in such a way, built in such a manner SPECIFICALLY for you to possibly miss if you don't really look around.  Finding these hidden places and figuring them out as well as experiencing the story built within them and around them is SO Different than any other game I've seen in the past.   Some of the little hidden area's I've found would have normally been nearly impossible to find, they are hidden that well.  That being said if a player never looks online for spoilers there are going to be countless of these hidden things that will be missed and only those true explorers will find and enjoy.  NO other game offers that.

    IamApropos
    image
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

  • KuinnKuinn MestaPosts: 2,093Member
    Originally posted by Vannor

    i wasn't asking for the games details, I've played it to death. I would like to know the psychology behind it. I mean, why is it more fun finding a cave on your own? Why is that a greater sense of accomplishment? Having to do things to progress though an area, like puzzles, isn't new, WoW does it, EQ2 does it, Rift does it etc. etc. Why is it better here? The puzzles are actually much simpler than in other MMOs. And why isn't exploration considered a carrot on a stick? It's still do this and you might get this... Explore and you might find something, not so different from run dungeon and you might get something.

    As I'm writing this I can see it's starting to sound trollish. I'm being serious though, I'm a fan of the game. I'd like to know how people justify this attitude towards GW2 when I honestly think it's been in almost every MMO out there. I was playing EQ2 today.. stumbled upon some rumbler caves in the Thundering Steppes. No quest lead me there, decided to go in. It was a little maze like going through tunnels with a few rewards here and there. There are many more examples out there, that was probably one of the worst ones but it was fresh in my mind. Why is GW2 getting praised for this stuff while others arn't or havn't?

     

    You are saying for example that WoW has the same stuff so why is GW2 getting the praise. WoW does not have exploration at all, none of it. It does not have secret locations or unexpected events.

     

    Everything in WoW is kind of on a "flat land" - there's not a single location in the game especially after flying mounts that feels like you discovered something secret, hidden, or unique in that game. There's not a single jumping puzzle, you get anywhere by walking or flying there with no effort. This is true for most of themeparks, so it's nice to actually stumble on hard to get places in GW2 that are not on open sight and has achievement or something at the end.

  • VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,970Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Apropo
    Originally posted by Vannor

    /snip

    The simple fact you can even say that other games have anything remotely comparable sounds incredibly naive and ignorant which in turn will make it impossible for us to accurately inform you of why we feel Guild Wars 2 has done these things "better".

    I've played all major released MMO's since 1990's and I've not seen one game do anything like these puzzle dungeons excluding single player games like Tomb Raider.

    I'll give it a shot I suppose since you did point out you sounded like a troll but honestly want to know.   My friend had 6 trees in his back yard when I grew up.  His dad let him build a tree fort; which we spent a lot of time in. With our imagination we thought up crazy adventures in deep jungles with caves and hidden treasure.  Later that year I moved to a place that was deep in the mountains with lots of forrest and old abondoned mining camps.   Your simplistic comparison is that since my friend had trees in his back yard there is no difference then the forrest surrounding my house in the woods.

    The difference is yes even though they are still tree's, just a lot more of them, we had more of an adventure because we could go find things on our own, make our own path, our own adventure.   Our minds didn't have to imagine all of the adventure we had now hidden things to find for ourselves that weren't laid out for use and hand held us with hints.

    Does RIFT and other games before have dungeons and such? Yes... DUH!! but nothing hidden in such a way, built in such a manner SPECIFICALLY for you to possibly miss if you don't really look around.  Finding these hidden places and figuring them out as well as experiencing the story built within them and around them is SO Different than any other game I've seen in the past.   Some of the little hidden area's I've found would have normally been nearly impossible to find, they are hidden that well.  That being said if a player never looks online for spoilers there are going to be countless of these hidden things that will be missed and only those true explorers will find and enjoy.  NO other game offers that.

    Ok, so you feel the design of these areas are more detailed and the possibility of not experiencing something makes it a better experience if you do experience it. Your comparison to playing a child was the sort of answer I was looking for lol, very psychological. I don't feel the same way about it, maybe I just don't get as connected with a game as I could.. as immersed as some others do. I kinda wish I did tbh.

     

  • solarinesolarine IstanbulPosts: 1,203Member
    Originally posted by Vannor

    .... I mean, why is it more fun finding a cave on your own? Why is that a greater sense of accomplishment? ...

    Honestly? There's a world of difference. Just like there's a world of difference between going to some place interesting as part of a guided tour and just exploring on your own and happening upon it.

    The former can and does breed admiration, but the latter breeds something else: Wonder. It's just you and the mysterious place you came upon, with no agents in between. It's like you've harvested this little special bit of the world by and for yourself, privately - rendering your relation to the world a bit more personal as well. 

    It's a mystery you've reaped from the world. Though it's got a bigger impact when the object of mystery is impressive as well. :)

    After all, isn't walking in a jungle and - totally unaware - happening upon a majestic temple more impressive than taking a guided tour there?

    I think this translates pretty well into exploration in gaming as well.

     

  • VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,970Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by Vannor

    /snip

    You are saying for example that WoW has the same stuff so why is GW2 getting the praise. WoW does not have exploration at all, none of it. It does not have secret locations or unexpected events.

    Everything in WoW is kind of on a "flat land" - there's not a single location in the game especially after flying mounts that feels like you discovered something secret, hidden, or unique in that game. There's not a single jumping puzzle, you get anywhere by walking or flying there with no effort. This is true for most of themeparks, so it's nice to actually stumble on hard to get places in GW2 that are not on open sight and has achievement or something at the end.

    I wasn't trying to start a game war. I'll use Rift as an example of what I meant. In Rift there is a puzzle in every zone with a reward and an achievement attached to it.. just like there is a major jumping puzzle with an achievement in each zone in GW2. Those puzzles are there, they are not easy to find, some arn't easy to get to, arn't on the map and no quest leads you there. You do not need to find them and can easily miss them. Yet, nothing has ever been said about them. What I'm basically trying to see here is whether people even knew these things existed in all the other themeparks out there. It's like the removal of traditional quests has caused everyone to notice, or set out to look for, things they didn't used to.

  • solarinesolarine IstanbulPosts: 1,203Member
    Originally posted by Vannor

    ....

    I'll use Rift as an example of what I meant. In Rift there is a puzzle in every zone with a reward and an achievement attached to it.. just like there is a major jumping puzzle with an achievement in each zone in GW2. Those puzzles are there, they are not easy to find, some arn't easy to get to, arn't on the map and no quest leads you there. You do not need to find them and can easily miss them. Yet, nothing has ever been said about them. What I'm basically trying to see here is whether people even knew these things existed in all the other themeparks out there. It's like the removal of traditional quests has caused everyone to notice, or set out to look for, things they didn't used to.

    Plus, SWTOR had Datacrons, which were off-the-beaten-path as well. And most involved jumping puzzles - some of them quite on the difficult side.

  • elockeelocke Manassas, VAPosts: 4,205Member Uncommon

    I can tell you right now, Lion's Arch has 3 that I know of.  I found one in Metrica Province, wasnt' able to finish, it's diabolical.  The WvW zones each have one and those are pretty tough too.  Definitely love just stumbling upon this stuff.   

    On a side note, there is a cow launching event in Diessa Plateau, that if you stick around afterward, they take a few bets on where the cows will land.  I bet once, 50silver and ended up winning.  Got a token I sold for 1g.  I was so happy.  Was very cool this was out there with no marker on the map.

    image
  • KuinnKuinn MestaPosts: 2,093Member
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by Vannor

    /snip

    You are saying for example that WoW has the same stuff so why is GW2 getting the praise. WoW does not have exploration at all, none of it. It does not have secret locations or unexpected events.

    Everything in WoW is kind of on a "flat land" - there's not a single location in the game especially after flying mounts that feels like you discovered something secret, hidden, or unique in that game. There's not a single jumping puzzle, you get anywhere by walking or flying there with no effort. This is true for most of themeparks, so it's nice to actually stumble on hard to get places in GW2 that are not on open sight and has achievement or something at the end.

    I wasn't trying to start a game war. I'll use Rift as an example of what I meant. In Rift there is a puzzle in every zone with a reward and an achievement attached to it.. just like there is a major jumping puzzle with an achievement in each zone in GW2. Those puzzles are there, they are not easy to find, some arn't easy to get to, arn't on the map and no quest leads you there. You do not need to find them and can easily miss them. Yet, nothing has ever been said about them. What I'm basically trying to see here is whether people even knew these things existed in all the other themeparks out there. It's like the removal of traditional quests has caused everyone to notice, or set out to look for, things they didn't used to.

     

    I'm not fighting a "game war" here either, just saying what I've experienced in these games. I didnt know that Rift had those puzzles, I played it to level 18 or so and quit because it was the most linear quest hub to quest hub narrow path I've ever seen in any themepark mmorpg to date.

     

    I'll have to tip hat for Trion here though for adding these special locations, I have no idea of their quality but it's a good thing they do exist in any shape, and it makes me actually to look forward upcoming Trion games a bit more (Defiance anyone? Might be fun).

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.