Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What is the purpose of unlocking weapon skills?

13»

Comments

• curacura WarsawPosts: 950Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by dariuszp
    Don't you have REAL PROBLEMS ? It takes few minutes to unlock it. I just buyed all weapons for my class from the start and unlocked them. Simple as that.

And thats why it seems so unnecessary. I dont give a shit but still

• VirinVirin Hillsboro, ORPosts: 32Member
    Timesink? You are kidding right? You can have them all including two underwater in 10 mins just running around. In fact you can have your first 3 just from the mobs around the first story boss. Calling that a time sink is ridiculous.

If you are used to games with a lot more skills "mastery" of the ones you get in this game is not work. You can pick any class and play around with builds in pvp for no cost and spam skills and score in the middle of everyone on your team. Trust me I do that for a time killer before work.

You can still have a level playing field and have rewards. How about you actually have to purchase different weapon sets. Or you only have access to certain sigils. It won't be a game breaker to not have divinity or nightmare but you can progress to a point where you have access to those options and experiment with other builds that way.

No need to explain win win. Splitting hairs over 10 mins of your precious time is not worth another word.

If you need more handed to you than you already have mmo is not a genre for you.

And yes there is something wrong with it all being handed to you. Where's the challenge? Don't get me wrong I enjoy the game for what it is but it is definitely easy mode.

Why is this even an issue? Acting like it takes a week to get your skills. 10 minutes of not even paying attention and you're done.
  • GinazGinaz Calgary, ABPosts: 1,731Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by cura
    Originally posted by dariuszp
    Don't you have REAL PROBLEMS ? It takes few minutes to unlock it. I just buyed all weapons for my class from the start and unlocked them. Simple as that.

And thats why it seems so unnecessary. I dont give a shit but still

Yeah, its not a huge deal as it doesn't take long to unlock them (even less at higher levels) but it just seems pointless.   And if people have a hard time knowing what the abilities do and need to be "eased" into them, maybe they should read the tool tip when you mouse over each skill.  Most people who are familiar with MMOs, which I would venutre to guess is the large majority of players, don't need to be "eased" into the skills.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• EricDanieEricDanie Rio de JaneiroPosts: 2,238Member

It probably took you longer to write this post than to unlock the weapon skills you didn't have, or did you level 1-80 with a single weapon?

The first thing I did was to gradually change weapons as they dropped so I could unlock them all, it made me take a quick glance at all skills. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have bothered equipping them all if not for the unlock mechanic, not to mention I ended up being a ranger currently using greatswords and an axe/warhorn for PvE. My original plan was to just stick with bows, it didn't feel right using anything else... until it did.

So at least for me unlocking weapon skills served a purpose.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Sugar Grove, VAPosts: 1,550Member Uncommon

Seems pretty pointless to me..It takes 5-10 minutes to unlock all of the skills. No reason to even have it setup this way honestly.

Now if they had a skills level system like Feeble - > - > Experienced ->-> Proficient ->-> Brilliant ->->..ect. and you pick weapon skills as you get higher skill levels over a lenghty period of time then it would make sense.

Now? Not so much.

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

Seems pretty pointless to me..It takes 5-10 minutes to unlock all of the skills. No reason to even have it setup this way honestly.

Now if they had a skills level system like Feeble - > - > Experienced ->-> Proficient ->-> Brilliant ->->..ect. and you pick weapon skills as you get higher skill levels over a lenghty period of time then it would make sense.

Now? Not so much.

that's actually a good idea and maybe something to be added down the road:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Now? Not so much.

The older online RPGs ( MUDS and Graphical alike ) used that system and it worked pretty well. No idea why MMORPGs have not attempted it because it IMO is a fun grind from start to end game.

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member

Now? Not so much.

The older online RPGs ( MUDS and Graphical alike ) used that system and it worked pretty well. No idea why MMORPGs have not attempted it because it IMO is a fun grind from start to end game.

i agree although it sort of sucks when its your only form of skill progression and you aren't learning any new skills at all.. but if you add how utility skills are unlocked on top of something like this I think it would add a lot to the skill progression.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• crazynannycrazynanny PopowoPosts: 173Member

if you are new to MMOs or casual player slow pace of gaining skill is good and Anet should keep it that way. Especially when at lvl 10(I think) 1 kill = 1 skill unlocked, meaning bout 1-2 minutes to unlock all of them. So if you're pro, stick to one lvling weapon till lvl 10 and then unlock all weapons  nearly instantly(up to 4 kills per weapon).

I guess some option to unlock all weapons would be nice but Anet has bigger issues to deal with than this...

Now? Not so much.

i agree although it sort of sucks when its your only form of skill progression and you aren't learning any new skills at all.. but if you add how utility skills are unlocked on top of something like this I think it would add a lot to the skill progression.

If the skills you gained while skilling up a weapon skill / magic skill were interesting and viable would it matter that much? This also only covers what you get from weapons / magic and not what you would get for whatever class you are as you level up. I think it would only add to the experience and not only that it would take gold out of the game due to training costs ( trained = double skill gain ).

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,437Member Uncommon
    Based on the responses. Some people obviously like this minor annoyance. So why remove a minor annoyance to you than some people like? Just get over it and learn to pick your battles.

• xmentyxmenty SingaporePosts: 679Member

@OP, its basic gaming design.

Not everyone is a professional gamer like you.

I believe there are people that are new to gaming online too.

Anet even have to make Heart quest for people who cannot live without quest hub.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member
    To me the answer is obvious.  They want you to learn the weapon skills slowly, if they gave them all at once it might overwhelm the WoW players they are targetting to have join their game.

El Psy Congroo

• FuryVFuryV BlahblahblahPosts: 341Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by sookster54

Um.. what? You're worried about weapon skill unlocks? By level 3 you're done the one hand and you can buy a couple two hands and by level 7 you're done all that and ready for the weapon switch (depending on class) and by level 10 you're all done which takes no time at all if you progress through the starting map.

Not worried about it - no, it's just that I don't see weapon skill unlock as fun, nor as helpful. It doesn't add anything to the game, so I suggest removing it.

It's a minor annoyance, but even a minor annoyance removed would make the game better.

Minor annoyance to YOU.  You don't speak for the majority, please get that into your head.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member
    Originally posted by FuryV
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by sookster54

Um.. what? You're worried about weapon skill unlocks? By level 3 you're done the one hand and you can buy a couple two hands and by level 7 you're done all that and ready for the weapon switch (depending on class) and by level 10 you're all done which takes no time at all if you progress through the starting map.

Not worried about it - no, it's just that I don't see weapon skill unlock as fun, nor as helpful. It doesn't add anything to the game, so I suggest removing it.

It's a minor annoyance, but even a minor annoyance removed would make the game better.

Minor annoyance to YOU.  You don't speak for the majority, please get that into your head.

Personally I find it fun to have to grind using a weapon just to get the ability to use the weapons skills.  I mean, it'd be so lame if I was able to actually fully use a weapon once I got it, much better to spend 15 minutes grinding.

El Psy Congroo

• Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 18,007Member Uncommon
    It is just a quick tutorial. You get one skill, kill 4 noob mobs and get another until you locked up them all. Personally I dont care either way here, unlocking a weapon in both hand takes 5 minutes so it is not long time, but there is no real need to make that way either.
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,614Member Uncommon

In most MMOS your class starts with one or two skills then as you level you get more, Weapon abilities in GW2 are just this particular way of doing skills... In sets grouped by weapon.

Getting them one at a time is just a nice way of showing us what each skill does. It may not be fully sandbox certified organic, but it's better than running to a trainer to be instantly bestowed the Shield Throw of OPness ability. At least this way feels a bit more natural to me. We seem to be quick but not instant learners in this game.  Shrug.

• observerobserver Houston, TXPosts: 3,009Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kakkzooka

So that you can gradually acclamate to each skill and learn how it interacts with the other skills.

It's the same reason your character isn't level 80 after you create it.

I actually prefer it this way.  I like learning my skills as i level up.  Granted, in GW2, it's a lot faster than more traditional MMOs.  In others, you need to purchase your skills as you level up.

13»