Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTF Is... : FTL - Faster Than Light? - Release: 14th September

MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Total BiscuitWTF Is... : FTL - Faster Than Light?

FTL: Faster than Light - Trailer

FTL is a "Spaceship simulation roguelike-like".

It will be released September 14th, 2012 on Windows, Mac and Linux. It will be available for purchase from our website, Steam and GoG.com.

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

That actually looks quite good, I would by it for $5, $10

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by Nitth

That actually looks quite good, I would by it for $5, $10

It'll be around the $10-$15 mark. Think $10 even, I know the kickstarter backers got it for $10. So this is a nice test case of a (likely) successful kickstarter project. :)

• FlutterbugFlutterbug Member Posts: 3
    From what I read on the kickstarter page and this review, I think it is worth looking at. The enjoyability will depend on how the systems are balanced, and if we will know why our spaceship failed, and the ability to expand your gameplay (not just the ship). I do like the premise though (survive space). I wonder why more games don't make survival the main goal, so far it has been a successfull gameplay challenge.

http://www.ftlgame.com/?p=378

FTL

T-MINUS 6 DAYS UNTIL LAUNCH!

The release of FTL is only a few days away and we wanted to clarify the ways in which you can purchase it:

• Steam!   It will cost $9.99 USD and will get you both Windows and Mac versions. It will have the standard Steam conversions of £6.99 / €9.99 / 249 rubles / $7.99 in CIS territories.
    • GOG.com!  It will cost $9.99 USD for every region and will get you a Windows DRM-free build (need to triple check the region issue). You will also receive a few bonus items – 5 songs from the soundtrack, a mini-artbook, some wallpapers & avatars, and maybe more (if i have time).
    • Our Website!! It will cost $9.99 USD for every region and will get you DRM-free builds for Windows, Mac and Linux. You will also receive a Steam key.

Also, for the first week there will be a 10% discount on all services!  Yay! And while you’re here, Ben Prunty has started preorders for the FTL OST over at his bandcamp site.  Go have a listen!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by MumboJumbo
    Originally posted by Nitth That actually looks quite good, I would by it for $5, $10
    It'll be around the $10-$15 mark. Think $10 even, I know the kickstarter backers got it for $10. So this is a nice test case of a (likely) successful kickstarter project. :)

yeah, Ill pay that. Developers gota eat dont they :)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I just got it off of Steam for $8.99. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192
    I read that it is single player and it looks pretty fun, but my question is this. Is there a story or am I just trying to get to the right side of the galaxy and that is it? Can you explore planets and the like?
    Originally posted by shaddy33
    I read that it is single player and it looks pretty fun, but my question is this. Is there a story or am I just trying to get to the right side of the galaxy and that is it? Can you explore planets and the like?

It's definitely a "Rogue Like" in the only real point is to survive and make it as far as possible. This is one of those little gems of a game that doesn't rely on flashy graphics or a good story line. It's 100% game play and it's addictive as hell. It has very simple gameplay mechanics but the gameplay itself is very complex and deep. You may be fighting a fire in one compartment while fending off enemy boarders in another and fixing damaged equipment in yet another... all at the same time!

Also the resource managment is a constant struggle as well... Do I cut some engine power to bring that fancy new Ion Cannon online I just picked up? You have limited power to run your systems and they are all power hungry. You can also upgrade everything on your ship as well. You can also find or purchase augments for your ship systems that have other useful effects.

You start off with 3 crew members but there are many ways to pick up more during your journey. All crew members also improve by doing stuff. If you put one crew member in the shield room over time his shield management skill will get better making that department more effective. Same goes for Weapons, Helm, Engines, Damage Control, etc... You also have to keep a close eye on your crew members health and if it gets too low you need to send them to the Medbay to get fixed up. During a battle it can get quite chaotic sending crew in all directions doing different functions on the ship.

So far I'm loving the game. I never heard about it until I read this thread this morning and went to Steam to check it out. I figured for $8.99 it was worth a shot and I'm some glad I decided to take a chance on this game. Sadly though nothing I can put here in writing can do this wonderful little gem justice. If you're curious about it I recommend just getting it. It's a great little time wasting type game and well worth the money.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

@Bren - great to hear you're enjoying it! It's got the magic "jump in for a quick playthrough" + "next time I'll have to do/attempt x..."

• ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Purchased this last night and MAN is it intense! I love it! You guys were right, def. awesome gem of a game. I highly recommend it.
  • KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    I bought it as well. I love it. Feels like playing an episode of Star Trek or something. I'm only playing on easy so far and the game is still kicking my ass! It seems like my greatest weaknesses are boarding enemy crewmen and asteroid fields.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

Originally posted by Kaerigan
    I bought it as well. I love it. Feels like playing an episode of Star Trek or something. I'm only playing on easy so far and the game is still kicking my ass! It seems like my greatest weaknesses are boarding enemy crewmen and asteroid fields.

Upgrade your door systems to Blast Doors. It helps tremedously during boarding actions as they have to cut through the doors to procede through the ship. Slows boarding parties down to a crawl.

Edit: Also when they are trying to cut through the door open the airlock behind them. Usually you can suffocate them before they can cut through.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

Any other impressions? I've done a few runs now and have to say, each one has been satisfyingly different - always learn something new for the next run is one of the game's big strengths. Easily the best game I've played this year.