Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is better than...??

ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

The graphics engine is the best in the business.  I will say that because it's true and a completely negative review is never accurate.

But everywhere else there's holes that I didn't expect to find and  because they were rarely if ever mentioned by all the fanboy beta testers.

The first dungeon is for level 30+.  Seriously?  No wonder they didn't put a group finder in.  Alot of players will quit before they get that far.

The skill system is laughable.  I mean it looks great--until you actually play the game and realize you've learned all your weapon skills at level 5.  PVP must be a headache.  By the way I'm just assuming that because I can already tell I don't want to go there.

The controls feel like GW1 which is not a good thing and the main reason I never could get into that game.  They're slightly improved over GW1 but definitely not the quality I'm used to from WOW and TOR.

No mounts of any kind.

No housing of any kind.

The tradeskill system is...um yeah.

F2P does not mean better.  If a game has ever reinforced this notion it is GW2.  It is so devoid of features it feels like a struggling sub MMO in freebie mode.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

Comments

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

I hope you are covered in steel from head to toe because this won't end well. 

As far as i am concerned 'G'W2 is better than.?' it is a matter of taste and i respectfuly disagree with every thing you said except for weapon skills which i agree.

I will take GW1 skill system over GW2 any day. Even to this day GW1 gameplay has lot more depth than GW2 can ever have with its new skill system.

Bite Me

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Nikkita

I hope you are covered in steel from head to toe because this won't end well. 

As far as i am concerned 'G'W2 is better than.?' it is a matetr of taste and i respectufuuly disagree with everything you said except for weapon skills which i agree.

I still prefer GW1 skill system over GW2 any day. Even to this day GW1 gameplay has lot more depth than GW2 can ever have with its new skill system.

GW1 skill system is leaps and bounds ahead of GW2 skill system. I miss the old girl.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by Chieftan
    PVP must be a headache.  By the way I'm just assuming that because I can already tell I don't want to go there.

I shuould have stopped there...at my agony I didn't.

Devoid of features, yet you clearly havn't experienced them. Good call. Are you aware that there are more abilities than the weapon ones? Utilty, elites aswell as class specific (Guardian virtues for example). Not to mention there is a point in swapping weaponsets in combat, infact some trait skills award you for doing so.

Now I will go ahead and asume aswell, I asume you didn't bother checking the different trait option. No, not where to spend point, the differnt choices once you get 10 points in. Some changing the gameplay alot, like PBAoE being ground targeted at ranged instead.

But hey, nice review. I will uninstall the game now...

• ThebigbopperThebigbopper Member Posts: 114

Pvp is absolutely meaningless in this game. You finish a game and "bam" your in the next game before you can even think about the last one.

I feel this game is like those games children play where no score is kept in case somebodies feelings get hurt.

• shiner421shiner421 Member Posts: 70

The graphics engine is the best in the business.  I will say that because it's true and a completely negative review is never accurate.

But everywhere else there's holes that I didn't expect to find and  because they were rarely if ever mentioned by all the fanboy beta testers.

The first dungeon is for level 30+.  Seriously?  No wonder they didn't put a group finder in.  Alot of players will quit before they get that far.

The skill system is laughable.  I mean it looks great--until you actually play the game and realize you've learned all your weapon skills at level 5.  PVP must be a headache.  By the way I'm just assuming that because I can already tell I don't want to go there.

The controls feel like GW1 which is not a good thing and the main reason I never could get into that game.  They're slightly improved over GW1 but definitely not the quality I'm used to from WOW and TOR.

No mounts of any kind.

No housing of any kind.

F2P does not mean better.  If a game has ever reinforced this notion it is GW2.  It is so devoid of features it feels like a struggling sub MMO in freebie mode.

So your complaining that the game doesnt have the same content as 7 year old MMO's, and you obviously dont understand the point of the game, no wonder your spending your time posting isntead of playing. I find your 'Review' to be completely baseless and ridiculous.

Troll post, done feeding the troll.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

No mounts of any kind.

No housing of any kind.

its all opinions but on these two points

player housing and guild housing is planned for after release

the tradeskill system is one of the better systems seen in mmos - in my opinion

GW2 is no more ftp than Diablo3 is ftp

• Justin83xJustin83x Member Posts: 406
    Originally posted by Boldyn
    PVP must be a headache.  By the way I'm just assuming that because I can already tell I don't want to go there.

Devoid of features, yet you clearly havn't experienced them. Good call. Are you aware that there are more abilities than the weapon ones? Utilty, elites aswell as class specific (Guardian virtues for example). Not to mention there is a point in swapping weaponsets in combat, infact some trait skills award you for doing so.

Now I will go ahead and asume aswell, I asume you didn't bother checking the different trait option. No, not where to spend point, the differnt choices once you get 10 points in. Some changing the gameplay alot, like PBAoE being ground targeted at ranged instead.

But hey, nice review. I will uninstall the game now...

^^ lol.

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

sounds like he reviewed the whole game without trying/playing 95% of the game

good on you

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Boldyn

Like I said, the skill system and how it factors into PVP felt like a headache rather than something I wanted to get into. 

Having some variables makes gameplay and PVP more interesting and strategic.  Too many variables(skills) and not particularly satisfying ones at that, do not make for a good time.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• donjuanagaindonjuanagain Member UncommonPosts: 135

This is better than....

Getting kicked in the nuts.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

This is better than anything you can get for $60 and that is a fact. The entertainment is spot on for my wallet and hundreds of thousands of other people feel the same way.

This is better than paying a subscription. In seven years of WoW your subscription fee alone will be over $1300 and hundreds of thousands of people know that as well.

This is better than waiting for hours for a healer or tank and grinding to grind some more and hundreds of thousands of people know it.

Hundreds of thousands of players know this is better than..."!" "?" 

This is better than writing demeaning comments about a game others enjoy, and hundreds of thousands of people that are playing right now know that.

If you don't like the game don't play it, hundreds of thousands of people will take your place.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182

No mounts of any kind.

No housing of any kind.

When you will run your first dungeon you will know WHY IT'S ON LVL 30. Around this lvl you will have almost all skills unlocked (well minimum but full set of 5 additional skills). And dungeons are hard. You would not be able to do any just by swinging your sword.

Skill system is one of the best I encountered. Weapon skills unlocking is JUST so you could learn the skills. It takes just few kills to unlock each of them. Trick is to put them in good use.

1. you have multiple weapons

2. with multiple skills

3. that skills can change if you move for example your axe from first to second hand and sword from second to first etc.

3. that skills change with the class, my guardian use hammer in different ways than for example warrior.

4. You can swap weapon in mid combat to adjust your strategy. 

If you see better system out ther then show it to me. Rift or WoW ? TOR ? Nope. 

Controls are just like in any MMO. WSAD to move. AD to move camera or strage if you use mouse. Simple as that. Change is in 2 things. You hit what is in front of your weapon (not what you target) so it's more dynamic and you can move while casting and etc. If you compare it to TOR then don't. Ability delay is something they fixed many month's after release. You don't move while fighting. Everything is clunky, static and boring. I know - I played that failure of MMO for 2 months. GW2 controls are fine and combat is somewhere between TOR and TERA.

We have no mounts becuase there is no need for one at this stage. In WvsW you just should die less and reinforce positions longer. That's part of tactic. And on world map you have teleport points (click and move) and everything put quite close together. So why you need a horse when you don't need it ?

As far as I understand Housing is in progress. Look at this:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Home_instance

and I can dig some devs stuff. You will have small aread dedicated to you. Probably with your own home and you can expect special merchants and other stuff that will appear there based on your progress in the game.

Also I see that you have NO IDEA what you are talking about. Guild Wars 2 IS NOT FREE TO PLAY. It never was. This game is BUY TO PLAY with cash shop. That's quite a difference.

Another kid that is looking for a hole in whole.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

This is better than 90% of the games I've played/playing.  

Oh wait. I see.  This was a slam thread, not a discussion.   

Now it's a thread about discussing:

I'm really enjoying the exploration (finding views, etc..)  I find that I tend to do that more than questing.   

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by donjuanagain

This is better than....

Getting kicked in the nuts.

Replace kicked with fondled by scarlet johanson. 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by slickbizzle

This is better than 90% of the games I've played/playing.  

Oh wait. I see.  This was a slam thread, not a discussion.   

Not that it's always conclusive, but the facts here are that he's a SWTOR fan and GW2 is finally released.  The throng of people waiting to "get even" with GW2 fans now feel there is weight to their words, and this won't stop anytime soon.  There are legitimate complaints from users, but I don't feel this is one of them.  He even admits he didn't play most of the game.

WARNING: FORUMS ARE SRS BIDNESS.

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

I don't know why you say the graphics are good, but it might be the style which is easy to make. If it had not been cartoonish style it would have looked absolutely awfull.

AoC from 2008 blows it right out of the water, and the performance is very poor on modern hardware. I got 40ish fps on my gtx 670 and 15-20 in WvWvW. And yes, that was with subsampling off.

It doesn't even support DX10, let alone DX11. I don't know of any other game that have come in 2012 with only DX9 support.

I'm not really a graphics whore, but to say that GW2 has a good engine is a lot of baloney.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Nadia

No mounts of any kind.

No housing of any kind.

its all opinions but on these two points

player housing and guild housing is planned for after release

GW2 is no more ftp than Diablo3 is ftp

Did they fix so that you can make sure that you can do safe 1-on-1 masstrades nowadays?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Did they fix so that you can make sure that you can do safe 1-on-1 masstrades nowadays?

i havent used the trading post - cannot comment

I was talking about tradeskilling ie Crafting

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

i havent used the trading post - cannot comment

I was talking about tradeskilling ie Crafting

Oooh, my bad then, thought you were refering to trading. 

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by tyfon

I don't know why you say the graphics are good, but it might be the style which is easy to make. If it had not been cartoonish style it would have looked absolutely awfull.

AoC from 2008 blows it right out of the water, and the performance is very poor on modern hardware. I got 40ish fps on my gtx 670 and 15-20 in WvWvW. And yes, that was with subsampling off.

It doesn't even support DX10, let alone DX11. I don't know of any other game that have come in 2012 with only DX9 support.

I'm not really a graphics whore, but to say that GW2 has a good engine is a lot of baloney.

No idea about engines or whatnot, but I (and anyone I've had over to check the game out) love the way it looks and I'm constantly awed by my surroundings. Compare to recent other game with "revolutionary engine and highest possible end graphics" which I could not even stomach cause it looked horrendous to me. Graphics to me = what it looks like when I look at it, not what's behind it. /shrug

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

No mounts of any kind.

No housing of any kind.

GW2 isn't the game for you plain and simple, there are no mounts because they want people to buy speed boosts and its not even necessary, if they add mounts in the game they ruin the plan of making money from speed boosts, No housing? This game isn't made for housing buddy. This game is completely different then any other mmo you would expect that coming into the game? I hope you didnt expect GW2 to be like WoW, the reason the game was hyped was because it wasn't WoW and the reason I bought it was because it wasn't WoW. You see the issue? lul

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Guild Wars 2 uses a heavily modified Guild Wars game engine which includes support for true 3D environments, more detailed environments and models, better lighting and shadows, new animation and effects systems, plus new audio and cinematics engines and a more flexible combat and skill-casting system.

Gaile Gray has indicated the game will support DirectX 10, but not require it to play. Guild Wars 2 will utilise the Havok physics engine to provide ragdoll animation and destructible environments, as well as occlusion culling technology licensed from Umbra Software to optimise 3D object rendering. [2]

Incorrect.  The game looks beautiful and runs great. 

• SluskeSluske Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Another fantastic thread. Will they never end?
  • tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Incorrect.  The game looks beautiful and runs great. 

If you think that 40 fps standing still even without the max options on one of the best graphics cards out there is great than all power to you. But in reallty it isn't. I have around 100 fps in TSW on max graphics, DX11 and TXAA, and that's not the most optimized engine either. It may look pretty and shiny, but that is not due to the engine but the cartoon style.

They said it would support DX10, but in it's current incarnation it doesn't.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

You should look at your drivers or even your system a little more closely. I run the same GTX 670 and my fps is higher.  edit: I removed the other photo so you could also possibly use the settings I have and it may help your fps. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.