Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be honest, would you keep playing if Guild Wars 2 had subscriptions?

Comments

• Beercan1974Beercan1974 Member Posts: 12

I don't know. I kind of like the game but it's more like having something different at the side of WoW. Not sure if I would like to pay 2 subs actually. Luckely, it's free:)

• LordOfPitLordOfPit Member UncommonPosts: 86
    I voted for "Maybe" but my vote was unrelated to bug-fixes. My vote is related to the fact that I love "owning" the games I play as much as I can and Lifetime Subscriptions are usually the way that I go whenever I can. If GW2 did actually have a subscription fee, but no Lifetime Subscription offer, I'd probably skip it and wait for Cryptics' Never Winter Online simply because NWO is F2P from the ground up, with no fees whatsoever.
  • CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I probably wont. 

I mean I like the game! Its fun n all!  But yknoe..I got games to buy and dont want to be hassled with a sub.  Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2 out and I want to be able to sit there knowing that I can just play GW2 whenever I feel like  without worrying that the $15 I just spent on subs dont bite me back in the !@# when something like...Battle Realms or Starbound or Cubeworld preorders with early access comes up.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

We all know how good of a deal it seems, you pay once, play for life.

It seems most people I have spoken to, still play and will play it mostly because it has no monthly fees and not so much because it is a VERY good game. The game is plagued with bugs and service failures, so I have to wonder if we would all be saying good things if this game had a subscription.

But how many of you would keep playing this if it had subscription?

Do you think this game is good enough to have one? 

Thanks!

be honest, would you ead mud if would be free?

dumbest question ever, why should i even think about it, gw is free from a sub.

and as said before, if you cant stand the release of an mmo, play after it.

thanks for the talk.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• deadmanbelldeadmanbell Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Just to support what others have said. I can come back to this whenever I feel like it and not feel bad. But I am already bored with this game and have moved on. I think this game is for the ADD gamer in your life. I don't enjoy the zerg party dynamics, I cant really tell what I am bashing on or who is doing the most damage etc.  I want something deeper even with worse graphics and grinding.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Thane

We all know how good of a deal it seems, you pay once, play for life.

It seems most people I have spoken to, still play and will play it mostly because it has no monthly fees and not so much because it is a VERY good game. The game is plagued with bugs and service failures, so I have to wonder if we would all be saying good things if this game had a subscription.

But how many of you would keep playing this if it had subscription?

Do you think this game is good enough to have one? 

Thanks!

be honest, would you ead mud if would be free?

dumbest question ever, why should i even think about it, gw is free from a sub.

and as said before, if you cant stand the release of an mmo, play after it.

thanks for the talk.

You have totally missed the point. 

My question is such because I get the feeling people are giving praise to GW2 on the basis it is free. And I wanted to know if you picked up that game and made it with subs, if people would still play it on the merits of game quality and content alone, not because it was free.

There are some games in which people would be happy to pay subs because they are good, customer support is good and the updates come in a timely fashion.

But there are other games who are free who unfortunately leave a lot to be desired.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

My question is such because I get the feeling people are giving praise to GW2 on the basis it is free. And I wanted to know if you picked up that game and made it with subs, if people would still play it on the merits of game quality and content alone, not because it was free.

There are some games in which people would be happy to pay subs because they are good, customer support is good and the updates come in a timely fashion.

But there are other games who are free who unfortunately leave a lot to be desired.

There are some people who don't want to play subs, and still think a lot of those sub paying games are shitty enough they wouldn't play them if they were completely free.

Your poll is hardly scientific. :<

Actually, correction.  Your poll is downright horrible, and poorly written and extremely biased.

It's practically useless. :(

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Yes.

Ive alreadsy bought a pirate outfit and stuff to show my support anyways.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• kol56kol56 Member Posts: 124
    Originally posted by Meowhead

There are some people who don't want to play subs, and still think a lot of those sub paying games are shitty enough they wouldn't play them if they were completely free.

Your poll is hardly scientific. :<

Actually, correction.  Your poll is downright horrible, and poorly written and extremely biased.

It's practically useless. :(

Oh no he didn't !!!

Now let's be serious... if something biased is useless and horrible, we are all screwed.

It's just a poll with a little bit of baiting, but it actually makes sense in a weird way.

Why so hostile? such strong words!

At least there is a cute face at the end, that was good.

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by kol56

Oh no he didn't !!!

Now let's be serious... if something biased is useless and horrible, we are all screwed.

It's just a poll with a little bit of baiting, but it actually makes sense in a weird way.

Why so hostile? such strong words!

At least there is a cute face at the end, that was good.

Why?  Because horribly done polls are one of my pet peeves.  I don't like it when politicians do it, but at least they're doing it... y'know, well.  (Or better, anyway)

In MMORPG.com it's almost completely filled with polls that are horribly biased, deeply flawed AND poorly written.

They're no good for getting any sort of useful information out of, and they're mostly added because somebody thinks they're being really clever.

... and when the answer shows something they don't want (Despite it being horribly written and slanted), nobody ever mans up and goes 'Well, crap, I was wrong, data shows my opinion is more worthless than usual!".

So I'm on protest against bad polls.  (No matter whether I agree with the poll maker or not.)

Sort of like some people don't like hearing about kittens being abused, I don't like polls being abused. :)

• zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92
    i find unnecessary to pay gw2 monthly fee. because only sandboxes can take ma money.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Speire
    i find unnecessary to pay gw2 monthly fee. because only sandboxes can take ma money.

Same with me, but sadly there are not that many sandboxes out there who I would gladly pay.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    No probably not, maybe for a month or so. ThemeParks dont have staying power to warrant a sub. fee.
  • shiner421shiner421 Member Posts: 70
    I wouldnt hesitate to play this game even if it had a $20 a month sub. I refuse to play other sub games as they are not what I am looking for.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

"What if" questions are always sort of pointless, it doesn't have a sub, that's reality.

But heck, yeah I'd play it, but only if they got rid of some other things in the game first (cash shop + sub isn't acceptable for me).

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Nope. The gameplay is way too boring and predictable. Pretty disappointed, but then again it is a MMO. So, par for the course. Good job on being totally unoriginal Anet.
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Probably not, no.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171

GW2 is as any other MMO that came after WOW, good for like 1-3 months and that is it. Big, BIG + is that there is no sub that is fair considering that ppl who are behing GW2 knew that their game would go in flame after 1st month if they have put any amount of money as monthly fee.

Their is nothing revolutionary in GW2 cause nothing can even be in MMO`s as gender. WOW will take down not only itselfe but the whole gender.

All MMO`s on the market should go F2P because they dont offer anything special no more.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    Originally posted by loulaki
    Originally posted by Thillian

This game is actually not for explorers. The world isn't interesting enough. It is not EXPLORING if you just FOLLOW your mark on the map to the nearest VISTA. That's just blindly following a quest tracker or vista tracker in this matter. 

Exploration is if you're actually not following your map to the next vista, Exploration is if you go off the path, which is impossible in GW2, because GW2 has some attraction on every step (anti-exploration) and you can't really find anything special, which wouldn't be marked on the map already before you discovered it. GW2 world is too small and too filled up with all these mini attractions, which can be seen on your map long before you actually discover them.

if you play the game press "H" and then look at achievments at the explore section, and count how many achievments are for secret jumping quests which are not in the map, and for each one you need at least 1 hour if you dont read spoil-guides about them, ah yes there is no indication for these in your map ^^

Platforming doesn't belong in MMO's especially when playing a Norn character and the camera gets stupid anytime you try to do a jumping puzzle.

This is actually one of the worst things in the game - Anet didn't do a good job with the jumping puzzles. SWTOR and  TSW did it as well and platforming is a terrible trend in MMO's lately.  I like platformers when the game is designed as a platformer but slapping it into an MMO where the controls aren't nearly responsive enough and the camera doesn't work right on certain character models... well it's just idiotic. 

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by kartool

Platforming doesn't belong in MMO's especially when playing a Norn character and the camera gets stupid anytime you try to do a jumping puzzle.

I'm playing a Norn (just hit 80 a few hours ago) and I had zero problems with jumping puzzles and the camera. But I guess some people need to blame anything else than themself when they fail...

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

If the game had better account security and more active customer service (3 days a week 11am to 5pm?) then yes probably.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    I think there is a launch bubble effect. But, to be honest I think the numbers loging into the servers will be a lot lower in a few months time when people have done all they want in the game. There isn't a real reason I can see to playing GW2 long term.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

It's like having two restaurants.

I've been going to this place for years.  Food is great. service is good, all my friends go there.

This other place opens down the street.  Similar dishes although the food just isn't quite as good.  Missing that special something.  But the prices are a heck of a lot better.

I'm gonna try the cheaper place for a while, but eventually I realize, it's just not the same as the first place.  Sure it's cheaper, but in the end I'd rather get that bit of extra flavor with my food.  Plus, all my friends still go there.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

This game is actually not for explorers. The world isn't interesting enough. It is not EXPLORING if you just FOLLOW your mark on the map to the nearest VISTA. That's just blindly following a quest tracker or vista tracker in this matter. 

Exploration is if you're actually not following your map to the next vista, Exploration is if you go off the path, which is impossible in GW2, because GW2 has some attraction on every step (anti-exploration) and you can't really find anything special, which wouldn't be marked on the map already before you discovered it. GW2 world is too small and too filled up with all these mini attractions, which can be seen on your map long before you actually discover them.

if you play the game press "H" and then look at achievments at the explore section, and count how many achievments are for secret jumping quests which are not in the map, and for each one you need at least 1 hour if you dont read spoil-guides about them, ah yes there is no indication for these in your map ^^

This is actually one of the worst things in the game - Anet didn't do a good job with the jumping puzzles. SWTOR and  TSW did it as well and platforming is a terrible trend in MMO's lately.  I like platformers when the game is designed as a platformer but slapping it into an MMO where the controls aren't nearly responsive enough and the camera doesn't work right on certain character models... well it's just idiotic. 

Not all puzzles require platforming. People tend to call them "jump puzzles" and some of them are but there are puzzles that have no jumping or a combination of puzzle solving and jumping. For example, Professor Portmatt's Lab has no jumping at all, it's all puzzle solving.

Besides, completely optional platforming has it's place. The puzzles in GW2 are top notch, not only for an MMO but for SP games as well.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    Originally posted by heartless

Not all puzzles require platforming. People tend to call them "jump puzzles" and some of them are but there are puzzles that have no jumping or a combination of puzzle solving and jumping. For example, Professor Portmatt's Lab has no jumping at all, it's all puzzle solving.

Besides, completely optional platforming has it's place. The puzzles in GW2 are top notch, not only for an MMO but for SP games as well.

I never said all the puzzles require platforming?

The platforming isn't really optional when it's tied to the completion of zones. It's just a trend I personally am not enjoying in MMO's lately. Platforming or jump puzzles are crappy when the game's primary purpose isn't that genre and the engine, camera, etc aren't designed around it.

It's frustrating to have to try and complete some of these jump puzzles when it's the game engine itself that's causing the problem with completion, not player skill.