Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hate to say it but I'm not impressed

Comments

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by Harttz
    Originally posted by sookster54

Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Fail.  I got one out of a black lion chest.  Black Lion chests are unlocked with cash shop keys.

Try again please.

Funny, I've been unlocking Black Lion chests without spending a single cent on the cash shop, you can loot keys too and get them as rewards in map achievements.

I really doubt you have been unlocking chests. You make it sound as if keys drop like candies. I have 4 alts ranging from lvl 20 to 40 and i have got 2 keys from drops and another 1 through personal story reward. In my bank i have 20 chests now waiting to be opened.

So either you are very lucky or just making stuff up to make him look like a liar.

I am going to say that you are very unlucky if you have that many chests waiting to be unlocked. I have unlocked about 10 chests so far and never had more than one chest waiting for a key to unlock at a time. I am going for 100% map completion though so I may have been getting a lot of keys from that, though.

2O chests across 4 characters and 100 hours of gameplay.... comapred to 2 key drops. I would say that makes sense since keys can be purchased from CS too. it wouldn't be in ANet's best interest to drop keys like candies.

I know its hard to believe but it really changes a lot depending on the person. Im in the same boat as you, i got 30 chests and havent got an actual key from  a drop. My friend on the other hand has 18 keys and 7 chests.

Its really weird, i wonder what are the % of getting them cause it varies a lot. And my friend is not an isolated case, i see some other friends like me but others like my lucky friend too.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Fail.  I got one out of a black lion chest.  Black Lion chests are unlocked with cash shop keys.

Try again please.

Funny, I've been unlocking Black Lion chests without spending a single cent on the cash shop, you can loot keys too and get them as rewards in map achievements.

I really doubt you have been unlocking chests. You make it sound as if keys drop like candies. I have 4 alts ranging from lvl 20 to 40 and i have got 2 keys from drops and another 1 through personal story reward. In my bank i have 20 chests now waiting to be opened.

So either you are very lucky or just making stuff up to make him look like a liar.

I've had 5 keys drop and about 25 chests found ...my question is why would anyone really care about the chest ? I've really got nothing from the chest one way or the other ...a little xp boost ?...turning into something for 15 minutes that can't even fight ...the chest are a none issue to me

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Bad.dog

Try again please.

I've had 5 keys drop and about 25 chests found ...my question is why would anyone really care about the chest ? I've really got nothing from the chest one way or the other ...a little xp boost ?...turning into something for 15 minutes that can't even fight ...the chest are a none issue to me

Chest  rewards sre random and can give some very nice and rare stuff..which are not just limited to xp boosts.

Bite Me

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

Um...the chances of even getting one of these boosters is 1 in 37 like I said before....so you'd be paying over 20 dollars for a 1 hour boost BEST CASE SCENARIO. Also, you can only buy the keys which means you still need to get the chests normally through PvE. 

Just give up. 

Umm.  lets stop splitting hairs here.      

The simple point is that GW2 allows you to spend money on the cash shop for items that make your Character tougher.   You may not care about it, that fine.  You may believe that if you played long enough you could gain the same advantages, that's fine too.

But it doesn't change the fact that you can PAY for the advantage in the CASH SHOP.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by noncley
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Ooooh these posts.

Listen guys.  It's perfectly fine not to like the game.  No one is going to begrudge your opinion if you just say that the game wasn't for you.

But here's the thing...

As it stands right now, the game is packed with players and is a critical darling...93% on metacritic.  So to call the game "poo" because YOU didn't like it is ummmmm.....stupid.

True, this game may be indeed be good but, as Daniel Erickson's CV says, his own MMO, SWTOR, got 87.3% of Metacritic.

SWTOR is not a terrible game.

Yes it is.  No one should ever defend that piece of garbage. 

No it's not. It might be a terrible game to you But some of us actually like it. BTW you and creslin321 should get in a MMA ring for the right to use Peter dinklage image lol

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• Stryx74Stryx74 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by fiontar

I'm now 165 hours into the game. Add the 150 hours I playtested during beta and I'm at the 315+ hour mark. I still have much, much more to do with this game than I have actually experienced to date. I'm also still having a blast. IMO, this is the best MMO I've played in the almost 14 years I've been playing MMOs.

When it comes to reviews like this one, I try to remind myself that no game is for everyone. The game itself may not be a match for some people and some people just aren't capable of appreciating or enjoying what the game does offer. WoW attracted a lot of non-MMO gamers to the genre, by dumbing down the game further and further with every passing year, so it's no surprise to find that some people just can't deal with an MMO with the depth of GW2.

Reading the review, I find myself asking the same questions I often have to ask with many of the reviews. Did this person even actually play the game? Did they play it a little and some how come away with a really misinformed opinion, because they didn't get far enough to start to "get the game"? Have recent MMOs created some "fans" of the genre that just have no clue what a good MMO is and would never have survived the genre if they had played a decade ago?

The game is beautiful, massive and deep . Combat is fun and the feature set very complete. It's one of the best produced MMOs ever, even if one thing or another keeps it from someone's individual favorite MMO ever list.

The game does have fewer artificial progression rewards. The higher in level you get, the less your character build changes as a result of that progression. Is that the "sink or swim" point for a lot of people with this game? Either they learn to play to enjoy the act of playing and for the joy of exploration, or they get bored and leave because the game didn't provide a finely tuned Skinner's Box with frequent, tangible rewards to keep them playing?

The game offers a hell of a lot for MMO fans, but it also asks a fair amount in return and not everyone is up for the challenge. I know some recent fans to the genre who began with WoW and are loving GW2, so it's not like everyone who came to the genre as a result of WoW is incapable of appreciating this game, but I can't help but believe that there is a fair portion who just aren't suited for an MMO like GW2.

You have not said one specific thing in this post. All vague general claims of so much depth and lots to do. The game is explorable within a month or two for most mmo gamers, "exploring" is not an endless activity. What are you referring to when you say it is deep? What challenge does it pose to last you months of playing? Like every mmo, pve has a limit. Their is only so much content before it becomes been there done that. I think GW2 actually hits it faster because the quests are so transparently the same thing over and over, DE or not. Outside of personal storylines the game does a horrible job of disguising this. The storylines are fun, the graphics beautiful and fun to explore, but that does not translate to long term playability and depth. Please, no general claims, explain these things you are referring to that will last you hundreds more hours.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by rutaq

Um...the chances of even getting one of these boosters is 1 in 37 like I said before....so you'd be paying over 20 dollars for a 1 hour boost BEST CASE SCENARIO. Also, you can only buy the keys which means you still need to get the chests normally through PvE. 

Just give up. 

The simple point is that GW2 allows you to spend money on the cash shop for items that make your Character tougher.   You may not care about it, that fine.  You may believe that if you played long enough you could gain the same advantages, that's fine too.

But it doesn't change the fact that you can PAY for the advantage in the CASH SHOP.

The simple point is that these boosts are only available in PvE and not PvP. The major difference is that if I buy a boost, everyone benefits from it since the PvE is designed with player cooperation in mind.

In PvP, where you actually compete against other players, these boosts cannot be used.

Moreover, it is incredibly easy to purchase these boosts by trading gold for gems. I have purchased 2 character slots, one bank slot and some dyes just by trading gold for gems and my highest level character is 61.

Lastly, the boosts you get from these chests are barely noticable anyway. I have a whole bunch of them sitting in the bank unused because I honestly don't notice the difference.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by rutaq
    Um...the chances of even getting one of these boosters is 1 in 37 like I said before....so you'd be paying over 20 dollars for a 1 hour boost BEST CASE SCENARIO. Also, you can only buy the keys which means you still need to get the chests normally through PvE.  Just give up. 

I'll say it again, most of the stuff on the cash shop are fluff, there aren't that much of an advantage from most of the tings and half the consumables are obtainable in the game rather than buying, and as another poster above said- those other items don't work in pvp.

• Stryx74Stryx74 Member UncommonPosts: 66
       Concerning pve, the zones are beautiful to see, and you will see them as you complete the zone. The vistas are nice and you will see them as you complete the zone. The hearts are one quest giver giving a bunch of menial crap to do without the dev having to create meaningful dialogue thereby giving the heart quests any sort of excitement or greater purpose you feel invested in. The DE's can be fun, mostly the same type of objectives, with very hit or miss interesting purpose behind them. Oh, and once you clear the zone they are completely repetitive and I'm not sure why you would keep participating in them except to grind. I'm not saying these things arent mostly fun, for awhile, and the game is shite, because it's not. Its a well polished game, easily worth $60+, but a game that gets old fairly quickly as far as MMO pve goes. The pve, like every mmo, has an end, and the journey, while beautiful, is filled with been there done that, hey we can put these hearts on the map and wont have to write any meaningful dialogue to draw people in outside of these limited storylines. This for me, after playing many mmos, feels somewhat stale when it comes to fun interesting quest objectives. I'm not sure why you would prefer a heart over a village with multiple quest givers having a variety of story dialogues that give you some vested interest in that questing area/zone. Multiple well written quest objectives is what disguises the kill x and collect y and GW2 just doesnt bother with that. Mostly, I could care less what happens to these virtual people.
  • AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Stryx74
       Concerning pve, the zones are beautiful to see, and you will see them as you complete the zone. The vistas are nice and you will see them as you complete the zone. The hearts are one quest giver giving a bunch of menial crap to do without the dev having to create meaningful dialogue thereby giving the heart quests any sort of excitement or greater purpose you feel invested in. The DE's can be fun, mostly the same type of objectives, with very hit or miss interesting purpose behind them. Oh, and once you clear the zone they are completely repetitive and I'm not sure why you would keep participating in them except to grind. I'm not saying these things arent mostly fun, for awhile, and the game is shite, because it's not. Its a well polished game, easily worth $60+, but a game that gets old fairly quickly as far as MMO pve goes. The pve, like every mmo, has an end, and the journey, while beautiful, is filled with been there done that, hey we can put these hearts on the map and wont have to write any meaningful dialogue to draw people in outside of these limited storylines. This for me, after playing many mmos, feels somewhat stale when it comes to fun interesting quest objectives. I'm not sure why you would prefer a heart over a village with multiple quest givers having a variety of story dialogues that give you some vested interest in that questing area/zone. Multiple well written quest objectives is what disguises the kill x and collect y and GW2 just doesnt bother with that. Mostly, I could care less what happens to these virtual people.

I haven't read (or not spacebared) a quest in ages. Funnily enough I go out of my way in GW2 to talk to scouts and npcs and figure out what's going on in a certain area. /shrug

• MisarisMisaris Member Posts: 140
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko
    Originally posted by kishe

Arenanet doesnt care if you dont play the game after two months of playing...all they care about is that you'll buy the 60$ expansion when they launch it in 6 months.

They better not be 60

interesting point.. let me see, so now some fell into the B2P trap plus cash shop, in approximately 4 months they will expect to get the money from you, which you had paid for a regular MMO sub in between, 13 $ x 4 months.

So, my guess for an "expansion" priced at 49.99$ probably in January or February.

Yeah.. don't expect any free content updates with this game.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by daveospice

Snip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1JmOThzg9A

The new thread title made me think of this.

Originally posted by Misaris

Arenanet doesnt care if you dont play the game after two months of playing...all they care about is that you'll buy the 60$ expansion when they launch it in 6 months.

They better not be 60

interesting point.. let me see, so now some fell into the B2P trap plus cash shop, in approximately 4 months they will expect to get the money from you, which you had paid for a regular MMO sub in between, 13 $ x 4 months.

So, my guess for an "expansion" priced at 49.99$ probably in January or February.

Personally I'd prefer to pay for new content when it comes out then to get suckered into paying a sub fee for content that doesn't arrive ....the old sucker sub fee for development and then full cost expansion model is just a scam

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Except that if B2P = More boxes sold = more money to keep developing the game.  

OTOH, ceasing development = stagnating game = falling popularity = falling sales.

They definitely want people to keep playing, and continuing to add content (both free and paid) is a vital part of that.  People who stop playing aren't likely to pay for anything, and low population makes the game look bad, crippling its ability to keep selling.

The advantages of B2P are more complex than most people seem to realize.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by remyburke
    I've been playing these types of games for a long time, and I really can't wrap my head around those saying they think the game is shit. It's an amazingly well made game. Ahh well.

It's probably aggravation with the hype scene for MMORPGs. To look at  my post history you would think I hate the game, when that's not the case - I think it's a well-designed game, but I''ve been annoyed by the legion of fans who speak of it as if it's the MMORPG Jesus (Protip: It isn't).

Is the game well-designed? Yes.

Do I think it moves the genre forward? Only in so far as it adds to the push away from standard fantasy races.

Is it going to make WoW sweat? No more than SWTOR or any of the other games that have targeted their corner of the market.

<3

Originally posted by dreamscaper
    I've been playing these types of games for a long time, and I really can't wrap my head around those saying they think the game is shit. It's an amazingly well made game. Ahh well.

It's probably aggravation with the hype scene for MMORPGs. To look at  my post history you would think I hate the game, when that's not the case - I think it's a well-designed game, but I''ve been annoyed by the legion of fans who speak of it as if it's the MMORPG Jesus (Protip: It isn't).

Do I think it moves the genre forward? Only in so far as it adds to the push away from standard fantasy races.

Is it going to make WoW sweat? No more than SWTOR or any of the other games that have targeted their corner of the market.

See what I find funny is I never hear fans using or saying any of the hype words ....the second comming ,Jesus and the holy grail are all phrases used by the haters .I also don't see GW2 making WOW sweat ,,,,I'm sure all they want are a  share of the 9 million former WoW players ...the 2 million or so present players are a lost cause anyways

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

See what I find funny is I never hear fans using or saying any of the hype words ....the second comming ,Jesus and the holy grail are all phrases used by the haters .I also don't see GW2 making WOW sweat ,,,,I'm sure all they want are a  share of the 9 million former WoW players ...the 2 million or so present players are a lost cause anyways

Not this again.

Do a little search on the forums.  It's really not that hard to miss.

And yes, the fans here did hype the bajeezus out of this one.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by grimal

Not this again.

Do a little search on the forums.  It's really not that hard to miss.

And yes, the fans here did hype the bajeezus out of this one.

And while the fans wont actually use the term "Messiah" or some such reference anymore, It wasn't that long ago that we did see it treated as such. Also, Take a look at these threads, and show me how many times, the fans have acknowleged the OP's complaint without trying to somehow discredit, diminish or derail it. Almost without exception, they simply don't exist. So while the fans won't use the term, they sure do treat it as such and anyone who disagrees is treated as a "blashphemer". This why the term has surfaced.  With the history on these boards, the hyperbole is justified.

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362

am i the only one who would love to see angry joe naked?

so say we all

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by krakra70
    You are not alone. The only thing saves this game at the moment is that it's B2P. If it was P2P it would be a worse disaster than swtor.

I couldn't of  agree more, this game is trash with the bugs and the game is just easy, boring, the PVP is trash, I thought GW1 was bad, this is just as bad.... People complain about SWTOR and Rift, , Tera etc, atleast they  had things they where promising...

This game is boring...

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

Not sure what that post ment, but had to comment on the last part.....wow has 9 million active players, down from 13...so ya...

• bosmer24bosmer24 Member UncommonPosts: 116

You know i've been considering getting GW2,then i read a negative review on it.Then i'll happen to read a a very positive review on it and it's as if the beatles are coming to shea stadium again and i have to buy.Then something happens or i read another blah blah all the same crap like wow review then i get disuaded.Sixty dollars is quite a bit of money for me to spend on something  I might only play for five minutes.

I've never been on the fence about a game for so long.I guess my best option is to wait for the price to drop.Glad you all love it,but i've just been burned one too many times.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Try again please.

You ALWAYS get a key from the end of your 1st main personal story chain / boss fight. If you claim to have only gotten 1 across 4 toons, then youre simply not doing the storyline. Dont try to make it look as if its a low chance to get one.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

They better not be 60

Um... GW1 had how many expansions over how many years? 3 expansions, 7 years.... yeah that really sounds like every 4 months. They also did add in new content aside from the paid expansions.

Please dont sit here and try to act like every P2P MMO gives you free content updates, especially on a regular basis. Most add nothing new without buying an expansion which also costs the price of a new game, and you have to pay monthly subs on top of it.

BTW. When youre paying $15 per month, that content is not free. Even if you resub for 1 month just to try it, you just paid $15 for it.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

I think it's the whole skill system and the way they did it is fundamentally flawed.

When you have 80 levels of content to go through and able to unlock all your skills before you're level 10, then you've got a problem. Especially in a themepark game.

Just increasing stats with traits for 70 levels is just borefest. Period!

The moment you've unlocked all weapon skills, you basically done. You're stuck spamming/cycling the same 5 - 9 skills over and over again until lvl80.

At least on my Ranger it took me to level 18 or so to unlock all weapon skills.

But on my engineer I was absolutely bored and unlocked both weapons before level 6, because it has only 2 weapon skills (gun and rifle) ! Terrible.

But I guess it's because the game has been designed for PVP and want everyone to unlock all skills as fast as possible. That's fine!

But for 80 levels of PVE content this design philosophy is absolutely terrible. :-(

Within 1 week I am back playing TSW and actually enjoying and appreciating it much much more than before. /shrug