Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your fondest pvp memory in a mmorpg?

ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117

I was in my couch this morning thinking of pvp and how the new pvp battlegrounds in mmorpg's have ruined pvp.

I was thinking of what I missed and thought of Asherons Call 1 and how much fun I had in it.

One  thing that happened to me in that game that I still remember to this day.

Some of this is a little sketchy since its been so long since I played.

1.I had a mage or some kind of caster. I was around level 40 something and I entered a dungeon I would guess for level 15 or so players. My toons name was Doxx.

I remember a group of 4 entering the dungeon , I went to the middle of the dungeon waiting for them.

A few minutes later they appeared and this is somewhat what the chat looked like.

Random toon: Hey look theres someone in here

Random toon2:Hello

Doxx: It is time

Random toon: Time for what Doxx?

Doxx: Time to die!  (I threw out a fire aoe killing the group)

Random players: Wtf! Assh***

Random toon1:Assh***!

(A few minutes later they appear again)

Random Toon: Hey Doxx can we finish this dungeon please?

Doxx: No! (Boom Fire Aoe , they die again)

(A few minutes later I see them appear in chat again)

Random Toon: If you keep this up , we will call in more people.

Doxx: Im sorry , you all may finish.

Random toon:Thank you

Doxx: Do you know what today is?

Random Toon: No Doxx whats today?

Doxx: The worst day of your life! (Boom fire Aoe , they die again)

(About 10 minutes later they appear with a friend a level 30 something)

Random toon whispers me :Hey this is funny shit do you mind if I watch you please dont kill me?

I whisper back:Sure np , stand to the side and enjoy.

Random toon 2: Ok everyone charge at him , hey where is random player 1 going? Why is he standing next to Doxx?

(Random player 1 starts to laugh and taunt the other players, random player 1 is now my friend)

(They all charge me)

Doxx: No one can stand the fire power of Doxx! (Fire Aoe nuke , they all die again)

(This continues for the next hour me and random player 1 become friends)

A few months later I run into random player 1 , he is now 5 levels above me and much more powerful.

We talk about that day , we become best friends in game for the next couple of years.

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

Comments

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684

Being killed immediately when I created my character for the first time in Asheron's Call Darktide.

I'm by no means a masochist, but it was the start of a long, long journey where I had to use every ounce of wit and smarts, to survive in one of the most brutal PvP servers ever created. Boy, what a ride that was XD

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

A 3 hour showdown with a sniper in Dayz, it started off normal enough, he took the first shot as I was running into a treeline, we then spend the next hour trying to figure each others movements. 

After then the real action began we started unloading at each other from over 800m away, both of us with a DMR.

Eventually he stopped firing, I didnt kill him he just disappeared, I got hit in the arms and legs a couple of times, wasted a heck of alot of bandages and cooked meat.

But ive never had a PVP experience like that, it was pure tactics and marksmanship, I wanna do it again!

• it was in a f2p game called Zu Online. it was the first mmo i ever spent a decent amount of time in (8 months). in the game most zones could be controled by a guild.  every day during a certain time peroid, they became open for guilds to try and take.  well after a server merge, the status quo was detroyed as their were 2 servers worth of guilds now vying for control.  the ensuing battles that happened between not only guilds of our own faction but even players of opposing factions from the old servers coming together to do battle against players of the other server was some of the most fun i have had in a mmo.
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

It was in Darkfall. The city of our allies got sieged. Basically our entire Alliance was in their city; 700+ players. The enemy had even bigger numbers as 2 alliances worked together to get this city. Bored in town, I volunteered to scout. I went up a mountain and right before I reached the top, they came over it. I turned around and was followed by 400+ mounted players. Racing down the hill and over the open, desperate to reach the city gate. Then a hailstorm of arrows, manabolts (standard attack for all players) and the cannonball from city's cannons came down on me. I had to dodge friendly fire, but managed to get to the gates. No time to "pocket" my mount, I used my launch spell which did not fail and flew to safety on the citywall. Luckily my allies saw I was a friendly and did not knock me back down.

Never a dull moment on Nilfheim (at least not during the first 6 months after launch).

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Dragonantis

A 3 hour showdown with a sniper in Dayz, it started off normal enough, he took the first shot as I was running into a treeline, we then spend the next hour trying to figure each others movements. 

After then the real action began we started unloading at each other from over 800m away, both of us with a DMR.

Eventually he stopped firing, I didnt kill him he just disappeared, I got hit in the arms and legs a couple of times, wasted a heck of alot of bandages and cooked meat.

But ive never had a PVP experience like that, it was pure tactics and marksmanship, I wanna do it again!

he alt f4'd?

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

For me...

- Planetside - Giant battles were amazing, a shame Planetside 2 sucks.

- SWG - PVP battles between Bestine and Anchorhead were amazing during Pre CU.

- WoW - Tarren Mill, Southshore, Crossroads and city raiding every weekend was amazinf before Blizzard killed world PVP.

- SWTOR - Fights for the Balloon Ride before 1.2 ruined the PVP.

Bout it really. 

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

I was in my couch this morning thinking of pvp and how the new pvp battlegrounds in mmorpg's have ruined pvp.

I was thinking of what I missed and thought of Asherons Call 1 and how much fun I had in it.

One  thing that happened to me in that game that I still remember to this day.

Some of this is a little sketchy since its been so long since I played.

1.I had a mage or some kind of caster. I was around level 40 something and I entered a dungeon I would guess for level 15 or so players. My toons name was Doxx.

I remember a group of 4 entering the dungeon , I went to the middle of the dungeon waiting for them.

A few minutes later they appeared and this is somewhat what the chat looked like.

Random toon: Hey look theres someone in here

Random toon2:Hello

Doxx: It is time

Random toon: Time for what Doxx?

Doxx: Time to die!  (I threw out a fire aoe killing the group)

Random players: Wtf! Assh***

Random toon1:Assh***!

(A few minutes later they appear again)

Random Toon: Hey Doxx can we finish this dungeon please?

Doxx: No! (Boom Fire Aoe , they die again)

(A few minutes later I see them appear in chat again)

Random Toon: If you keep this up , we will call in more people.

Doxx: Im sorry , you all may finish.

Random toon:Thank you

Doxx: Do you know what today is?

Random Toon: No Doxx whats today?

Doxx: The worst day of your life! (Boom fire Aoe , they die again)

(About 10 minutes later they appear with a friend a level 30 something)

Random toon whispers me :Hey this is funny shit do you mind if I watch you please dont kill me?

I whisper back:Sure np , stand to the side and enjoy.

Random toon 2: Ok everyone charge at him , hey where is random player 1 going? Why is he standing next to Doxx?

(Random player 1 starts to laugh and taunt the other players, random player 1 is now my friend)

(They all charge me)

Doxx: No one can stand the fire power of Doxx! (Fire Aoe nuke , they all die again)

(This continues for the next hour me and random player 1 become friends)

A few months later I run into random player 1 , he is now 5 levels above me and much more powerful.

We talk about that day , we become best friends in game for the next couple of years.

so your fondest mmo memory ever is repeatedly trolling/killing lowbies, that didn't do absolutely anything to you, and were actually trying to be friendly?

dude, you are an A grade @##hole.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

My fondest memory in pvp?

Was is swtor huttball with my Tank Assasin and got " you are immortal!" voice come across! That was my karma game as I didn't die once!  What was more funny was some buttwipe accused me of hacking. My team had awesome healers. After I was done withe the game I was gonna post it on YouTube and noticed that I forgot to turn on recorder!!! Dddddddddddddaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

one of my favorites.from eq of all games.

i was playing on the race war server on eq back when you could talk to the other players.

i put on anon as a darkelf and went into the bowels of freeport near the newbie area, through the backdoor.

i got to a point where i was down in a small room with a door on it and some newb human asked me for help.

i gave him directions to my location and hid behind the door. The newb eventually found me in the depths of freeport and opened up the door and saw a dark elf standing before him.

i smited him down and im sure he learned a valuable lesson about pvp that day.

but

i think my absolute favorite though was one day when my healer in daoc and a shadowblade friend took out a full group of equal level hibs. The shadowblade wiped out the bard then druid from stealth while i was hiding behind a tree. By the time they figured out where i was most of the group was dead. We then finished off the rest. It was an awesome fight.. for us lol

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

The people.

The games all fade, but the people are what I remember foundest

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330

I dont have any memorable specific moment, but Burning Crusade - WoW....there was Halaa which was always a blast with usually 20 horde vs 20 alliance in a little area with people bombing from above...then there was Alterac Valley...back when people listened i used to love leading us to victory.    

Also in another game called Flyff i got really ticked off at some douche and being bashful i killed the dude 3 times...then after realizing i was screwed with the pvp loot system i just went on a pk spree and killed about 200 noobs and completely maxed out infamy...you could Delvl in the game....so i quit the game as i had so much infamy that not only did i lose all ym gear but i wouldve dropped allllll the way back to level 1 in a grind heavy game....

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

@OP

I will never understand what players get out of exploiting insurmountable statistical advantages.  Well, there are many theories out there, but they all depict such players in a very negative fashion.  So I'll avoid going there.  

All I'll say is I've been on the receiving end of it, and it just felt like a pointless hindrance.  The effect is the same as if your game freezes up, or you disconnect.  Whatever you were trying to do gets arbitrarily interrupted by something that's completely beyond your control.  = no fun.

I've also been on the giving end of such pvp, just to see what the hell some players get out of it, and I confirmed that it felt utterly stupid and completely unsatisfying.  Not only did I prove nothing and get nothing out of killing someone who had no hope to win, but I probably disrupted his gameplay and made him like this game that it's in my personal best interest for him to like a little bit less.  = no fun.

Feel free to enlighten me about the merits of such actions.

-------------------------------------------------

As for my personal favorite pvp experience, it occured while questing on my druid in Ashenvale in WoW, where I crossed paths with an enemy rogue numerous times.  He ganked me first.  Then I ganked him, evening the score.  Then we met openly and duked it out.  This went on for about 3 hours.  We both continued to do our respective quests, but with the added danger of being attacked at any moment.  Adrenaline was pumping.  

There was a moment where a high level ally of his entered the scene, and I feared that the awesome pvp we'd been having would devolve into a senseless war of calling in guild members or switching to our mains to 1-shot each other.  But he must have told the guy to not interfere.  He even used the /no and /stop emotes at the higher-level to convey this to me.      

We continued.  After about an hour of questing and dueling, we began to form some level of respect for each other.  Without being able to communicate, he would help me with some of my quests and I would help him, as if setting aside our differences for a moment to face a common enemy.  Then we would go at it again.  

When all was said and done, the score was pretty much even.  It came time for me to go.  Instead of attacking him, I bowed and waved goodbye.  He did the same.  We parted ways.

I loved this experience for 2 reasons.  First, we were just perfectly matched for each other, which makes for the most fun matches in any competitive scene.  Second, there was a great sense of oneness between us.  Without ever being able to effectively communicate, we were on the exact same page with each other.  It created that satisfying feeling usually associated with perfectly executed teamwork.  

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Coming through a jumpgate solo in EVE, and then seeing perhaps 30 or 40 pirates waiting for victims on the other side. I was dead (and podded) within about 2 seconds?

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    hmm I think I have to many to count. But one of them was during the NGE of SWG during a period of time where commando was very over powered. I was out with my guild blpwing up rebal bases near the kryat graveyard and we started killing kryat dragons and I had aggro of 2 of them and then I got bounty hunted by 3 bounty hunters. I started screaming in vent get these dragons off me. My guildleader said oh quit crying you can handle it. The I yelled yes I can handle the 2 dragons but not with 3 Bh's hunting me. Long story short they pulled the dragons aggro and killed the 3 bh's. But my heart was pounding for awhile after that one.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Some epic GvG matches in GW1's ladder, events and tournaments.

For example, during the E3 of 2005 Arenanet had the unofficial Korean champions playing in their booth against top ladder teams from around the world. During the 3 days of E3, none of the top teams had beaten the Koreans Then finally it was our turn. We were the last challenger; if they beat us they would leave E3 undefeated.

No one had heard of us, we were completely unknown to the world-wide GW1 community. The day before the favorites, some American team had lost in an embarrassing match which was also filmed and uploaded to Youtube (can't find it anymore tho).

...and we beat them.

Not only did we beat them, but it wasn't even close! If I remember correctly, none of us died during the match - ending in a flawless victory. And 4 out of 8 their characters were reduced to 60% death penalty, meaning they had died enough times they no longer respawned. That was a big boost for us. Its a shame our match wasn't filmed because I guess they thought we'd lose too just like the rest. I would've liked to hear the casters.

Open world PvP has left me cold by comparison.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

Lineage 2 castle siege, i'll never forget my first one. 

I'm really disspointed that no game has really tried to attempt this same experience. I know Archeage will be attempting something like it so i'm really looking forward to it. 

Reasons I liked it?

Open world siege with meaning. A clan holding it doesn't want to give it up and a clan that wants it. Both clans sides are forced to make alliances which could benefit them. 

I loved the whole clan vs clan aggression that happened afterwards or before the sieges also. The pvp in that game was just genious. 

I just hate how mmo's are consistently going to bs meaningless mass pvp, or small 5v5 e-sport pvp. 

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by MMOman101

The people.

The games all fade, but the people are what I remember foundest(sic)

Word.  I hear you, brother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_bN3WkjXDM

A little background on swarms: they are notoriously difficult to dodge, very damaging, and are a "fire and forget" weapon.  They are launched in salvos of 8, and each missile has a 20-meter proximity detonation radius.  Swarms make an unnerving beeping noise that increases in frequency as they home in, and when they get really close you can hear them make a roar that sounds a little bit like polyurethane wheels on concrete.  However, they also require fairly high license levels to use.  As such they are frequently sought after by pilots who race up the license ladder to get them, but don't necessarily have a lot of pvp experience.  They are the napalm of Vendetta Online.

On the opposite end of the arsenal are the railguns.  Swarms are launched, railguns are fired.  Whereas swarms are a 360-degree virtually autonomous weapon, railguns require dead cold accuracy and hawk-like timing.  Railguns are available fairly early on, but require a lot of skill to use.  Using swarms correclty is mostly a matter of knowing when to launch.

Tied to this is the concept of running, which is considered very bad form if it's from a fight one has started.  Swarming and then running is thought of as dirty at best by most veteran players.

Bearing these things in mind, watch as one day in a furball this happens (yes, it is from my perspective).  The pilot The Black Pearl has a live swarm homing in on me, but rather than engage he hits the turbo and runs.  Unfortunately, he picks a very bad vector that takes him right across my solution.  Two hits with gauss as I slide overhead, then two perfect rail shots to his receding hull.  By then I am turboing also to outrun the swarms, and it's a wrap.

It would have to be that, or the time I got a typekill (there, I admitted it) on Maalik, &c. one of the all time best pilot/pirate(s) in VO, founding member of [CHRN].

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Practically every day in Planetside 2 is a fond memory.
  • jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

My favorite memory was in SWG on Chilastra.

It was during the NGE and as a Rebel Bounty Hunter I tracked a mark to Theed. I headed to the square right out of the starport and there he was. A Jedi I'd never beaten in a fair fight before. He looked AFK so I scanned the area because I was combatant and Theed was full of high level Imperial NPC's who would shoot me on sight.

I decided to open fire and within a few seconds he retaliated, obviously back at the keyboard.

Shit he's hitting hard I thought... before realising someone else was hitting me. A tag-team of 3 Bounty Hunters had appeared from nowhere and my health was critically low.

I quickly hit my shields and ran for the med center, trying to get out of their line-of-sight. I ran around the outside dropping traps at each corner to slow them down and give me time to get my act together. Fortunately my mark whispered that he wouldn't attack and stood their watching the fight.

The whole thing lasted maybe 5 minutes, but felt like 30. Luck must have been on my side because with some nifty trap work and conserving my stamina, I managed to take out 2 of the 3 bounty hunters, finally losing to the 3rd, but even that was so close only one shot was in it. I had also started taking damage from NPC's in my kiting attempts.

That was the ultimate adrenaline rush I ever had in a game and I was a hairs width of coming out of it alive.

Fun times in SWG.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Stranglethorn Vale loool...but seriously my first raid on Orgrimmar was incredible. Epic can't even begin to describe the city raids in WoW. Also the SS v Tarren Mill 24/7 slaughter was super cool too. Crossroads too! Pretty much open world PvP in WoW.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• SluskeSluske Member UncommonPosts: 56

A couple of days into the DF release, some dude was bringing together 6-7 people to walk up from elf starting area to Mahirim country to seek out pvp. none of us had mounts, none of us had good gear.

This guy had been scouting a route up there the day before so he lead the way. we were sneaking our way up and had to walk circles around badass mobs, and the game was new and you really didn't know your way around that good.

After what felt like an eternity (in a good way) we arrived at the wolfpeoples lands, spotting out 2 of them naked whacking bushes.

after 20 seconds they were lying in pools of blood.

from there we were sneaking around killing mostly singled out or small groups of gatherers. After a while we all returned to elflands with not a single death.

It was sneaky, not very honourable, and we were always greater numbers.  Not at all competitive pvp.

But damn that night was pure fun.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

My first ever experience of PvP was at Crossroads in vanilla WoW. Much fun.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

My fondest memory is with classic AV in WOW.  On our server, Alliance was the dominant faction and provided crazy battles for us Horde.  The map was just the right size to prevent the ridiculous running of WvWvW.  Nerfing AV was the worst thing Blizzard ever did to that game.  

I wish I had played DAoC to see what the big attraction there was.

My worst experience was attaining High Warlord in Vanilla WOW.  Endless days of WSG for weeks.

• kamerian1kamerian1 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    My favorite PvP was in WoW...vanilla WoW to be specific.  The world PvP was great back in the day.  Used to go to Southshore on my druid.  I'd go sneaky-sneaky into the tavern and start one-shotting all the lower lvls inside....never took long before we'd have a full-scale battle on our hands.  Think my favorite tho was Alterac Valley....I spent 11 hours in one battle that ended up lasting 18hrs...it was nuts but also epic fun!
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    When I first started playing EvE and enlisted in the caldari miltia.  It was the first time I'd ever seen a large scale battle, a couple jumps out in one of the hot zones we encountered large enemy militia forces and engaged head-on.  It just felt absolutely amazing. I brought my rupture and when the shooting ended I was in half armor with barely any ammo left, simply the most unique feeling I've ever had in pvp. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL