Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Metacritic Speaks

Comments

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Trends, reviews, previews, overviews....it's all well and good but the only thing that matters is if you enjoy the game.

Anything else is for the trolls/fanboys to argue over.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by sonoggi

almost a 9:1 ratio lovers:haters

over 90% score by all but one professional reviewer

some of the highest user score in gaming history 

leaves other AAA MMO's in the dust when it comes to user score, professional review score, or both. study scores of Cataclysm, TSW, TERA, TOR, whatever. you will notice them all failing in either user review, or critic review categories (i.e. 50%  of reviews are mixed or bad, which is a big failure)

most importantly, my gf who has despised PC games all her life is now exploring Tyria with me every day. 

i encourage everyone to study the trends before bashing the game as sucky or whatever. you can, but your reasons will be very private and within a tiny minority. i think Metacritic trends speak volumes. 

The funny thing is Most of the people saying "Oh look metacritic gives GW12 high scores!" are the same ones that says metacritic sucks when it give any other game high scores. In a month or 2 if metacritic scores for GW2 drop you'll all say

"Metacritic sucks its just a bunch of trolls"

Now GW2 is a good game and has sold well i have no doubt but the people who only use information sources when it fits their agenda and then dis it when it disagrees is just silly.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by winter

leaves other AAA MMO's in the dust when it comes to user score, professional review score, or both. study scores of Cataclysm, TSW, TERA, TOR, whatever. you will notice them all failing in either user review, or critic review categories (i.e. 50%  of reviews are mixed or bad, which is a big failure)

most importantly, my gf who has despised PC games all her life is now exploring Tyria with me every day. 

i encourage everyone to study the trends before bashing the game as sucky or whatever. you can, but your reasons will be very private and within a tiny minority. i think Metacritic trends speak volumes. 

The funny thing is Most of the people saying "Oh look metacritic gives GW12 high scores!" are the same ones that says metacritic sucks when it give any other game high scores. In a month or 2 if metacritic scores for GW2 drop you'll all say

"Metacritic sucks its just a bunch of trolls"

Now GW2 is a good game and has sold well i have no doubt but the people who only use information sources when it fits their agenda and then dis it when it disagrees is just silly.

The wonders of politics.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

I dont remeber bad reviews about SWTOR also, is all about how much money they have, and NCSFOT HAVE REALLY A LOT OF MONEY. If you wanna see the true state of the game, wait a month, the population is already droping, at least on my server, we dont even have Overflow system anymore, and the zones 40+ are pretty much empty, sometimes you dont even have people to do DE or even the Hearts. 

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Maybe I'm not communicating my thoughts properly. I'm trying to say that Metacritic shows TRENDS

Huh? Metacritic shows opinions and scores. You mean trend as in the fact that the game is popular? Well, of course it is.

However, what does that have to do with the quality of the game itself. The one thing that truly matters. After all WOW and TOR are more well known and sell more (well, atleast from what we know, but we have to wait). However, their scores are lower.

As others have pointed out, the normcal reviews are somewhat uselss. Also, just so you know, both GW2 and SWTOR had over 9.0 in the user score during their first week (gw2 was 9.5 i think, max), but they keep droping.

I don't know if it will rise or not, but it goes to show that even user scores on MC are not very trust worthy.

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by adam_nox

Not sure how she can quest with you when there's no quests.

Pretty much every major mmo release has had favorable reviews.  Having the bestest doesn't really mean much.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/age-of-conan-hyborian-adventures

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/warhammer-online-age-of-reckoning

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic

All High scored MMO's on Metacritic. Where are they now?

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by hikaru77

I dont remeber bad reviews about SWTOR also, is all about how much money they have, and NCSFOT HAVE REALLY A LOT OF MONEY. If you wanna see the true state of the game, wait a month, the population is already droping, at least on my server, we dont even have Overflow system anymore, and the zones 40+ are pretty much empty, sometimes you dont even have people to do DE or even the Hearts. 

People love to thorw the SW;TOR arguement into the review discussion.The fact that you didn't liek SW:TOR is just your opinion which I don't happen to agree with.Whislt I thought the reviews werwe slightly high they were reviewing what most of the peopelt hat bought the game enjoyed a lot...The Levelling process and content.SW:TOR maintained the majority of the subscribers until that majority reached end game and found a severe lack of content and poor itemization and after launch developement in said end game.That's when people started leaving in droves.

I can't think of one game where the majority of reviewers waited for a few months to review the entirety of an MMORPG's content and experience.Almost every review is just of the first week or so of palying which for most peopel is all levelling content.GW2 is much the same and we won't know how most peopel feel about the end game for a couple more months.

TLDR : SWTOR for most people deserved the review socres it got for the levelling content which was being reviewed but also deserved the mass exodus for it's aenemic end game and after launch developement,thigns which were not reviewed at the time.GW2 is in the same boat review wise.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    The paid-review arguments are usually pretty juicy
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I remember reading Metacritics on Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and similar, the ratings were so far off the chart that the writer of the review got flamed- I mentioned BF:BC2 because the guy gave game audio such a low rating when it's one of the best sounding FPS games to date (until BF3) and at the same time rated Call of Duty: MW2 so high it wasn't even funny (MW2 was the WORST of the CoD franchise), there was another game but I don't rememeber now where the write rated it so unfairly that posters flamed them. I can't take Metacritic seriously because reviews are being paid by publishers to say good things.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Valua

GW2 is probably one of the best MMO, but compared to some single player games its not special at all.

Who even uses single player games as a standard to judge MMOs?  Really.  

As for me, my Metacritic score was a 9.  I felt it deserved it.  I didn't do it because I want the game to succeed, I did it because I've already played it more than most of my Steam games and haven't even cut halfway through its total value.  That means a lot to me for a measly $60.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by tank017

I like the game and it should get a good score..

but I take professional reviewers opinions with a grain of salt.

Ditto but the user score is 8.5 on metacritic which is pretty good . Compare it with WoWs user score of 6.8

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/world-of-warcraft

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2

That speaks volumes as to which way the tide is turning .

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by roo67

Ditto but the user score is 8.5 on metacritic which is pretty good . Compare it with WoWs user score of 6.8

Aw, you really missed a trick on that one because if you had linked to http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm instead it only has a user score of 5.1 and really stuck it to those WoW guys!

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko
    The paid-review arguments are usually pretty juicy

'Course they are; there's no requirement for anything in the way of confirmation, honesty, integrity, fact-checking, editorial purview, or anything more than sufficient volume of hot air.

For either the reviewer or the accuser.  Just leveling a completely unsubstantiated charge is enough to convict.

Welcome to message boards, already in progress.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by roo67

Only thing i got from that comparison is that it is still a cool thing to hate WOW.

I would never ever take user score on metacritics seriously..no matter in which direction the score goes.  WOW is 8 years old by the way. And if anything its age is going against it more than anything else.

Bite Me

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119
    ROFL@" population is already dropping because we have no overflows"

You have no overflows because everyone is moving past the starting areas and arena net had to halt sales because they could not cope with the insane demand.Sorry bro but pop has nowhere to go but sky high
  • NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

You have no overflows because everyone is moving past the starting areas and arena net had to halt sales because they could not cope with the insane demand.Sorry bro but pop has nowhere to go but sky high

I am seeing some servers setting at medium population and for me overflow queue is very short now. I think now would be the time to start selling digital copies again.

Bite Me

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Metacritic? I don't think I'd use Metacritic to reenforce any position I wanted to make. All someoen needs to do is say:

"But......But.....SWTOR"

And now automatically, your use of metacritic, regardless of how accurate and unbiased you think their review is, has the wind knocked out of its sails and now goes on the defensive.  And you have to start justifying Metacritic itself.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

ROFL@" population is already dropping because we have no overflows"You have no overflows because everyone is moving past the starting areas and arena net had to halt sales because they could not cope with the insane demand.Sorry bro but pop has nowhere to go but sky high
    I'm constantly getting put into overflow Lion's Arch and other mid level zones. World vs world pvp zones are constantly on queue times.

• TomBaker_fanTomBaker_fan Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by Requiem1066

Should be a law against using metacritic, steam, xfire as any type of valid arguement .. I would only ever value something like metacritic if they didn't allow reviews until 2-3weeks after launch.

If you look at a lot of games on there  ,, people start to score the game 10/10 or 0/10 within hours of it going live .. and people hold value in it ? *shakes head*

Should  be a law? Someone needs a board break, holy cow.

• roscorosco Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by DMKano

Rift had the same high score after it launched both players and critics were above 90. Now its in 80s for both I think.

Give gw2 more time - it will be in the 80s for both after several months when people reach end game.

I agree. People are voting with their emotions right now. After a couple of months when they realised that there isn't much to do at lvl 80 they will come to their senses.

U mad at GW2 being a great game and players enjoying it.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Lets do this, wait a month, probably less,  then come back and talk about how the population isnt droping, and i was playing yesterday at primetime in some of the 40+zones  and couldnt find enough people to do some DE.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Metacritic? I don't think I'd use Metacritic to reenforce any position I wanted to make. All someoen needs to do is say:

"But......But.....SWTOR"

And now automatically, your use of metacritic, regardless of how accurate and unbiased you think their review is, has the wind knocked out of its sails and now goes on the defensive.  And you have to start justifying Metacritic itself.

about SWTOR/metacritic

I did not play SWTOR, but  afaik it was a nice game until you reached the endgame. Still, to reach this level, people played a game they enjoyed. If it means 50 hours of fun, why should they get bad review because of the endgame ? Do solo games lasting 20h~30h get a bad score because of their lack of endgame ?

If you have fun then give a good score. Just because a game is a MMO doesn't mean that you  have to play 300h to enjoy it. It was always the case, but GW2 revealed it to their audience.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    The problem with GW2 is I can't really see myself playing it for more than a few months. Yes, it was fun, but no, there is no real reason to keep going with it long term as a game.
  • toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by Draemos

MMOs are long term games.  Any review of an MMO presented within the first month of release are next to useless for anything outside of simple impressions about graphics,  sound, etc.

I have absolutely zero respect for an MMO view that doesn't look at (and have experience with) long term viability, whether that review is positive or negative.  Reviewers who review them under the same criteria as single player games are just wasting my time.

I agree 100%. Unfortunatly all MMO's now are reviewed under the same criteria as a single player game.

There is not one professional game site that offers valid reviews because all those sites have other agendas, like advertising, or beta invites, none of which you would get if you posted anything negative.

Ive always said the best reviews now come from the players, It just takes some skill to wade through through the fanboy/hater posts, to pull out some usefull information.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

Originally posted by toddze
    Originally posted by Draemos

MMOs are long term games.  Any review of an MMO presented within the first month of release are next to useless for anything outside of simple impressions about graphics,  sound, etc.

I have absolutely zero respect for an MMO view that doesn't look at (and have experience with) long term viability, whether that review is positive or negative.  Reviewers who review them under the same criteria as single player games are just wasting my time.

I agree 100%. Unfortunatly all MMO's now are reviewed under the same criteria as a single player game.

There is not one professional game site that offers valid reviews because all those sites have other agendas, like advertising, or beta invites, none of which you would get if you posted anything negative.

Ive always said the best reviews now come from the players, It just takes some skill to wade through through the fanboy/hater posts, to pull out some usefull information.

well you are wrong, just because you played your old favorite MMO for years doesn't mean that it makes the MMO genre long term. massive, multiplayer, online game... long term ? no.