Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What is the purpose of unlocking weapon skills?

DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,516Member Uncommon

I don't understand this design decision at all - when you start a new character why do we not start with all weapon skills unlocked?

Unlocking weapon skills for the first couple of hours, adds what to our playing experience exactly? 

I am not seeing a benefit here.

Maybe it is to give new players a feeling of progression? It would be nice to be able to have an option to start with all weapon skills unlocked.

Comments

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Waterbury, CTPosts: 591Member

So that you can gradually acclamate to each skill and learn how it interacts with the other skills.

It's the same reason your character isn't level 80 after you create it.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,516Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kakkzooka

So that you can gradually acclamate to each skill and learn how it interacts with the other skills.

But a journey to 80 is something that happens organically over time. Weapon skill ups are over after the first 15min using a new weaponand then they stop forever - it seems very pointless to even have it.

• OrphesOrphes TrePosts: 3,048Member

You can never forget the importance of the small things.

This may give you a pleasure of finding out what those other skills are for that weapon by playing with the weapon, may as in we are not all the same so perhaps you won't.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Irving, TXPosts: 250Member Uncommon
    If you ask me I think it's just an added time sink.  Sure it's a short time sink but a time sink none the less.

After hitting 80 on my first character it just felt annoying not having all the weapon skills when I started a new character - once you know the mechanics already it just takes away from enjoyment of the game IMO. Thankfully it's easy to unlock those skills - but it got me thinking - why can't we start with all weapon skills? It would be a much more enjoyable experience just being able to go in full force at lvl 1 instead of pew-pew 1 skill wonder, it feels so gimpy.

Originally posted by KyutaSyuko
    If you ask me I think it's just an added time sink.  Sure it's a short time sink but a time sink none the less.

Yeah that's exactly what it felt like to me - kill it please Anet, at least give us an option?

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Virginia, VAPosts: 2,131Member
    Originally posted by DMKano

After hitting 80 on my first character it just felt annoying not having all the weapon skills when I started a new character - once you know the mechanics already it just takes away from enjoyment of the game IMO. Thankfully it's easy to unlock those skills - but it got me thinking - why can't we start with all weapon skills? It would be a much more enjoyable experience just being able to go in full force at lvl 1 instead of pew-pew 1 skill wonder, it feels so gimpy.

I think it is because Arenanet are trying to please too many different tastes at the same time. I would have also prefered if they had focused rather than spreading as much as they do.

• HarttzHarttz Jacksonville, FLPosts: 91Member

I really don't understand it either to be honest. It would be one thing if it took a decent amoun of time to unlock the skills but being able to unlock all of a weapon's skills in 15 minutes just seems like a pointless mechanic. I unlocked all of my Ele's Staff abilities in one zerg DE by swapping through all of the attunements and pressing 1 repeatedly. Waste of time and not very fun.

• ironhelixironhelix fairfield, OHPosts: 448Member
    I am enjoying the game, but I agree. Learning all my weapon skill in 5 minutes seemed a little stupid, and did not have any different effect than if I had just known them all from the beginning.  Also, I am level 30 now, and my character (guardian) plays exactly the same as it did after those first 5 minutes were over. I am mildly disappointed at the apparent lack of any character progression throughout the game so far.
  • sonoggisonoggi tdot, ONPosts: 1,119Member
    The only purpose of this feature is to mess with the minds of those who crave and needs that ridiculous feeling of progression. But who are we kidding? Gw2 was MADE for people who just wanna have fun.

There's a hamster wheel in place for those who wanna grind but arena net is thankfully not bringing stats into play because gear based "progression" leads to exclusivity
  • Effin_RabbitEffin_Rabbit Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 772Member Uncommon
    I dont mind the weapon skill-ups, they are pretty much the same thing as level skill-ups in other mmo's but you unlock them much faster. I dont think their target audience is really the lazy-minded type hence the need to dodge and be active in combat and story choices. 
  • NikkitaNikkita ParisPosts: 790Member

Then why they allow players to unlock everything in PVP? if they want us to learn and interact with skills first?

Bite Me

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Calgary, ABPosts: 2,156Member

Um.. what? You're worried about weapon skill unlocks? By level 3 you're done the one hand and you can buy a couple two hands and by level 7 you're done all that and ready for the weapon switch (depending on class) and by level 10 you're all done which takes no time at all if you progress through the starting map.

• OmnifishOmnifish LondonPosts: 616Member

The only ones that bothers me are the Elementalists ones..

Going through four attunements to unlock every single skill on a new weapon is a tad boring, but tbh I don't think it's a massive problem generally.

It's usually quick and you end up trying each new skill you get so you know what it does.  If you had it all from the beginning I suppose you might only bother with a few quick fix skills and lack the versatility or understanding for later fights.  Used to happen a bit with GW1, you'd sometimes get a ton of skills at once and not always know how useful each one was or how it synergised with others. Then you'd hit a brick wall and have to look back at your build, and change around skills you didn't know much about etc...

A theory anyway :)

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

Originally posted by sookster54

Um.. what? You're worried about weapon skill unlocks? By level 3 you're done the one hand and you can buy a couple two hands and by level 7 you're done all that and ready for the weapon switch (depending on class) and by level 10 you're all done which takes no time at all if you progress through the starting map.

Not worried about it - no, it's just that I don't see weapon skill unlock as fun, nor as helpful. It doesn't add anything to the game, so I suggest removing it.

It's a minor annoyance, but even a minor annoyance removed would make the game better.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ HillerødPosts: 1,197Member
    What I hate about the system is if I prefer a gs look, but the hammer feats the skill I enjoy but do not like look I have a problem

Playing ATM: Elder Scrolls Online, Diablo 3
    MMO's shelted: Check my mmorpg profile
    KICKSTARTED: Camelot Unchained. (250 USD)

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Freeland, MI, MIPosts: 1,122Member
    Originally posted by DMKano

They unlock faster based on your level.  Your whole weapnon bar at 80 would unlock in less than a minute.  A brand new player appreicates learning skills one at a time ... it's less overwhelming.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• deadanddivindeadanddivin Quebec, QCPosts: 13Member
    why do you even care? it takes up 5 mins of your time. if you have a problem doing something you dislike for 5 mins, you'll have bigger problems in life buddy. people like you just find any little reason to whine because you need the attention. :)
    Originally posted by deadanddivin
    why do you even care? it takes up 5 mins of your time. if you have a problem doing something you dislike for 5 mins, you'll have bigger problems in life buddy. people like you just find any little reason to whine because you need the attention. :)

Oh yes - nailed it! Attention, yep. Lol.

So I guess you have a problem with removing minor annoyances and making GW2 even better?  Alrighty :)

Imagine having a checkbox (that is turned off by default) when checked - all weapons skills are unlocked at lvl 1 - that would be bad, how?

• pmilespmiles Federal Way, WAPosts: 383Member

The joy of the game is discovery.  Everything is about discovery... from the world, to the dungeons, to crafting, to weapons.  I wouldn't have them change a thing.

You may have known to unlock all the weapon slots... go out of your way to artificially acquire all the required weapons... but new players wouldn't have them all at level 1.  They would normally acquire them along the way.  They might choose to equip them, they might not.  They may discover their usefulness in their story mode down the line.  It's a journey each player should take... not bypass because they can.

Why level a new character if it's such a chore to take the journey?  Why do you need all your weapon skills at level 1?  You don't.  You just want to be ahead of the power curve a little.  Probably buy gear as you go along as opposed to acquiring them from drops or quest rewards too.  Expediting the journey... changing it... altering it... missing out on it.

If unlocking and leveling weapons is such a chore or a nuissance... then clearly you are not long for this game.  Probably should fire up WoW real soon so that you get your head start on all the other players with gold, mats, what have you.  Because there is no journey in that game... just a flat out foot race.  Might as well just start out at level 90 with 90K gold, all the mats to level your professions in less than an hour, and a road map through each and every dungeon waiting for you on day one.

GW2 is not for you.  You already know it.  If unlocking weapons is a chore... the whole game is a chore.

• VirinVirin Hillsboro, ORPosts: 32Member
    Let's just give everyone all the skills and traits at level one. Oh wait I know when you make a new character you have everything unlocked, are already 80 have full legendary gear and 100% completion on every map. It's all a minor annoyance to have to play at all.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Virginia, VAPosts: 2,131Member
    Originally posted by Virin
    Let's just give everyone all the skills and traits at level one. Oh wait I know when you make a new character you have everything unlocked, are already 80 have full legendary gear and 100% completion on every map. It's all a minor annoyance to have to play at all.

I hope you are well aware of that in this game, you get all skills and traits unlocked automatically for Structured PvP and you get jumped to lv80 in World vs World?

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Virin

I hope you are well aware of that in this game, you get all skills and traits unlocked automatically for Structured PvP and you get jumped to lv80 in World vs World?

That is exactly what i said on last page but no one cared to comment on it.

Bite Me

• KuinnKuinn MestaPosts: 2,093Member
    Originally posted by Nikkita

Then why they allow players to unlock everything in PVP? if they want us to learn and interact with skills first?

Because the PvP is balanced, it wouldnt be if other player has all skills and the next has just auto-attack duh.

Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by Nikkita

Because the PvP is balanced, it wouldnt be if other player has all skills and the next has just auto-attack duh.

I was talking about  gradually accumlating and learning to interact with skills. If that is the reason isn't it even more essential for PVP?

Bite Me