Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Once again, Arenanet resets achievement progress

kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Monthly achievement category, specific achievement "Experience Survivor"

Earlier after doing WvW getting like 60 to 70 kills without dying, followed by some low level zone events and kills, I log out.  I gained nearly 30,000 experience towards the achievement, so I'm 3/10 the way to having it.  Not too bad, I've gotten it before, I can get it again.

I log back in a few hours later.  I do a few events in a low level zone, kill some deer and centaurs.  Look at my progress and it seems to be the same.  I kill one thing to confirm, and yep, it is not increasing, as if I had died.

Well I didn't die.  I didn't die in PVP, PVE, from fall damage, or any other death.  I haven't ever even tried crafting, so as one player suggested could be the cause, that wasn't it either.

This isn't the first time I've seen this happen.  Person sitting next to me had the exact same thing happen to them, with an unscheduled maintenance during the meantime.  No deaths or crafting in that case either, but they were right around at 90,000 of the 100,000 needed to complete it.

How disheartening.

I've submitted a bug report, and it may get fixed eventually, but for now, I'm back to grinding thousands of crabs to get it again I guess.

Comments

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

they said:

Some players' monthly achievements didn't correctly reset on September 1 at 00:00 GMT. To allow those players to collect the next monthly reward, we will reset the monthly achievement of any player who is already at 100% for the month as of tomorrow night's update.

in state of the game wiki...

Might be your didn't reset correctly as well on the 1st of this month?

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by korent1991

they said:

Some players' monthly achievements didn't correctly reset on September 1 at 00:00 GMT. To allow those players to collect the next monthly reward, we will reset the monthly achievement of any player who is already at 100% for the month as of tomorrow night's update.

in state of the game wiki...

Yeah.  Guess what, that's completely not what I'm talking about at all.  I had 100% montly, they reset it to 0% which is awesome so I can get the chest again.  But then the stuff I wrote in the OP happened.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

It's your choice and all so not saying it's wrong, but given you are making a grind of it, why would you grind crabs when powering through DE chains is far better? Especially in Orr.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• ProGeeProGee Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I think someone in my guild said that you are not allowed to change zone or something... Might be it?
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

It's your choice and all so not saying it's wrong, but given you are making a grind of it, why would you grind crabs when powering through DE chains is far better.

It's just where I prefer.  A ton of crabs I can choose to spawn at once, repeatedly, as well as other players doing that, and an often repeating event.

Originally posted by ProGee
    I think someone in my guild said that you are not allowed to change zone or something... Might be it?

Unless logging out counts as a zone, that can't be it for my friend.  I changed zones however, but in both cases there was downtime with an update.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

It's your choice and all so not saying it's wrong, but given you are making a grind of it, why would you grind crabs when powering through DE chains is far better.

It's just where I prefer.  A ton of crabs I can choose to spawn at once, repeatedly, as well as other players doing that, and an often repeating event.

Fair enough, how long exactly does that take to get 100k xp out of interest?

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Fair enough, how long exactly does that take to get 100k xp out of interest?

I'm not sure, because both now and in the past I started with my monthly exp survivor bar at a standstill around 30%.  The previous time was because I died, and noticed when I was in the crab heaven that it was increasing again.  This time I will have no idea when I'm gaining exp towards it until I hit the 30k mark again and it starts counting up.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    The monthly is lame anyway. They could of put more viable achivements in there, I dont bother with it.
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Do we even know that the meter updates in real time? Maybe it's calculated once a day? Maybe it only updates every X XP? Or, every full percent?

I just finished my monthly, (it was waiting on WvW kills, which I got in a few hours the past two nights), so I'll try to keep an eye on this myself and report back.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I'm pretty sure it's the bug that has been mentioned before in this thread. You aren't allowed to change zones.

On the night of the 1st I kept leveling in the same area until I had completed this part of the achievement just to make sure.

Harbinger of Fools
  • ManJunkManJunk Member Posts: 273

... I'm back to grinding thousands of crabs to get it again I guess.

Sounds like a blast.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Do you know how that achievement works? Same as in GW1:

So you need to collect 100k exp to get it. If you die during that progress you start from 0 again BUT:

-> your progress will still show the amount of exp you had prior to your death. So if you die at 63000 exp, It won't reset to 0 visually, but in reality it resets. You need to get 64 000 exp to see new progress.

Pro tip: you can get that achievement easily through crafting!

Also, there seem to be bug that if you change zone you lose progress. So yea, crafting is the best way.

• SidadSidad Member UncommonPosts: 50

Progress on Experience Survivor is reset whenever the player disconnects, teleports to a new zone, or dies (but not go into rally).

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Monthly

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Its bugged, it seems mostly to increase off discovering places rather then dieing. It does not work the way it says it works at all, so just relax and it will raise on its own... no matter how much you die.
  • SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    What Sidad said is correct. Don't zone and don't die. I even avoid porting within the same zone to be sure. At 80 you'll complete the ach after 1h of Orr grinding, so it's bugged state is only a problem at low levels.
  • EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

As it is right now you can't change zones or it resets progress.

I did my September one by playing for many hours on Diessa Plateau (15-25 Charr zone) from 0 to 100% completion, a lot of events (even noticed if you do a lot of events in a same area in a short time period you'll get diminishing returns for a while) and a lot of grinding too (for some variation I popped a +50% xp buff I got from one of the black lion chests).

It was only this bad because of the current bugs (can't log off, can't change zones), and it should be nowhere this "bad" to get the 100k experience on higher level areas.