Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift is quietly becoming the best themepark on the market

FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Finally, a dev that gets it. First expansion out the gate adds player housing and triples the land mass. Trion is making all the right decisions with this game and I gotta give them props.

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Me too. I think Trion are a quality dev.

It probably isn't fair to say it, but if the game had released in the state that the expack will finally put it in I would probably still be playing it.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Are they keeping the macro based gameplay? I hated that about the game.
  • KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    Not to mention their next project, Defiance, is looking good too.
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Rift is the one game I would consider going back to

But it is still just a gear grind for more gear etc ?

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Grailer
    Rift is the one game I would consider going back toBut it is still just a gear grind for more gear etc ?
    if you want it to be, yeah.

i got all the gear I needed for what I wanted to do in one weekend. now I can choose from many types of end game group content and just jump in and play. i still get currency towards even better gear (though its not a necessity) and I also gain xp towards planar attunement (alternative advancement) which is pretty cool. Or I can go fishing and cook, or open crafting rifts, or pop my solo build and go to ember isle, or follow invasions, or mentor down and help lowbies while still getting rewards i can use, or instant adventure making every zone in the game viable or conquest or grab a buddy and do a chronicle, or choose tank,support, dps, or heals with the same character and run a dungeon.

Now when storm legion comes out, i'll get all new versions of the stuff I just mentioned plus player housing, roaming world bosses and some serious land to explore.

• ShimpoGenmuShimpoGenmu Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Krytycal
    Not to mention their next project, Defiance, is looking good too.

with firefall and planetside 2 coming this game has no chance.

but i admit for a newbie company they did good with rift and are probably the fastest company out there making content

if they keep up like this their next mmorpg will be bomb

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Originally posted by Foomerang

if you want it to be, yeah.

i got all the gear I needed for what I wanted to do in one weekend. now I can choose from many types of end game group content and just jump in and play. i still get currency towards even better gear (though its not a necessity) and I also gain xp towards planar attunement (alternative advancement) which is pretty cool. Or I can go fishing and cook, or open crafting rifts, or pop my solo build and go to ember isle, or follow invasions, or mentor down and help lowbies while still getting rewards i can use, or instant adventure making every zone in the game viable or conquest or grab a buddy and do a chronicle, or choose tank,support, dps, or heals with the same character and run a dungeon.

Now when storm legion comes out, i'll get all new versions of the stuff I just mentioned plus player housing, roaming world bosses and some serious land to explore.

Can you elaborate about that please? I tried the mentoring system and the only advantage i saw was you could get experience in zones that were gray to you before. What kind of rewards are you referring to? I ask because i think getting level aproppiate loot while mentoring a la Gw2 would be a smart move.

• FurrballsFurrballs Member Posts: 30

Rift is definately a quality effort, Im amazed at the openness and effective communication of the devs and moderators, its not like that other new game I wont name here, the one with the heavy handed moderators censoring and banning people on some kind of power trip. Rift is a very solid game with lots of good quality pve raids & many decent warfronts for pvp.  Rifts graphics are excellent imho, I think its the lack of familarity with the game that has people trying it, but going back to wow and what they know. All the rift devs need to do now is buy poor Crucia some underwear, the poor girl looks cold :)

What rift really needs to grow is more players, I know that sounds silly, buts its true, people need to see lots of other people about to feel like its a long term game for them, hopefully storm legion will help with that.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    I like Rift. What put me off was the lack of choice where to go to. I mean think about World of Warcraft. You could level up several characters without seeing the same zone more than once. In Rift? Two starting zones and level up paths for the entire game. T_T I don't know about the "1 button macro" style gameplay I'm reading about. If it's true, then t hat would be the second reason that keeps me from resubbing.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Me too. I think Trion are a quality dev.

It probably isn't fair to say it, but if the game had released in the state that the expack will finally put it in I would probably still be playing it.

true words, and yet someone said about macro based gamestyle, i dont like that either , its like made for lazy players ;)

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

I enjoyed rift until the end game and thats because the end game wasn't anything different than your standard themepark game. The leveling was nice and collecting was decent, but after that it became the same old "repeat dungeon x number of time to get gear to move to the next dungeon to do it all over again" I've never enjoyed that type of game play. The PvP wasn't much better either (I hate the whole concept of having to grind rep to PvP on an even playing field)

All that said, Rift is a good themepark game if gear treadmills are your thing (from the hate on GW2 for lacking just that, it appears to be many people's thing). 

I cannot comment on the expansion, but unless they devianted from this mold I don't see any reason to go back. Player housing is a nice feature, but if its instanced whats the point?

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Finally, a dev that gets it. First expansion out the gate adds player housing and triples the land mass. Trion is making all the right decisions with this game and I gotta give them props.

Hmm, I may have to look into checking this out again. I really, really loved Rift's Souls/class design. But I absolutly hated its condensed gameplay world.

If they've spaced things out a little (a lot) better, I may resubscribe. Tripling puts it still way below WoW, and probably even TOR, and obviously nowhere in the same league as GW2, but at least its an improvement.

Player housing is something that I really want, but its always disappointing the way MMO companies do it. So I have a wait and see attitude.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    With the new expansion you also get the base game in the price, wonder if they will do this with all the expac's.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

It all looks very cool. I'm very impressed with all the things Trion added to their game up until now. If you compare that with some other dev teams out there, .... wow.

This strong team is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to Defiance.

Didn't play Rift after the beta because I didn't really see any replay value after I'd already done most of the level-up content, but it would be my first game of choice to go back to if I ever get into a period without a game of choice.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by freston
    Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Grailer Rift is the one game I would consider going back to   But it is still just a gear grind for more gear etc ?
    if you want it to be, yeah.   i got all the gear I needed for what I wanted to do in one weekend. now I can choose from many types of end game group content and just jump in and play. i still get currency towards even better gear (though its not a necessity) and I also gain xp towards planar attunement (alternative advancement) which is pretty cool. Or I can go fishing and cook, or open crafting rifts, or pop my solo build and go to ember isle, or follow invasions, or mentor down and help lowbies while still getting rewards i can use, or instant adventure making every zone in the game viable or conquest or grab a buddy and do a chronicle, or choose tank,support, dps, or heals with the same character and run a dungeon. Now when storm legion comes out, i'll get all new versions of the stuff I just mentioned plus player housing, roaming world bosses and some serious land to explore.
    Can you elaborate about that please? I tried the mentoring system and the only advantage i saw was you could get experience in zones that were gray to you before. What kind of rewards are you referring to? I ask because i think getting level aproppiate loot while mentoring a la Gw2 would be a smart move.

You get xp towards planar attunement, which is basically stats and abilities toward 6 rift types and a pvp attunement. You also get sourcestones appropriate to your level which can be traded for items and gear. You also have chances to loot cosmetic gear and crafting recipes.

Instant adventure basically teleports you to a group or raid in a zone and levels you down so its not a steamroll. You then do a quest chain with that group or raid that eventually ends in a boss fight. You get to enjoy all the areas of the game, meet and help newer players, and get rewards you can use.

Ember isle is a lot of fun too repairing and ugrading healing turrets and damage turrets with troops, then defend waves of invasions. My favorite is still raid rifts and zone invasions. I dont worry about gear, but I rarely pvp and i dont do instanced raids. I can easily heal expert dungeons and rift raids with the gear i got from a weekend of running dungeons. I just log on and do whatever I feel like which usually ends up with me upgrading a piece of gear anyway heh.

• WarbsWarbs Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by maji
    I like Rift. What put me off was the lack of choice where to go to. I mean think about World of Warcraft. You could level up several characters without seeing the same zone more than once. In Rift? Two starting zones and level up paths for the entire game. T_T I don't know about the "1 button macro" style gameplay I'm reading about. If it's true, then t hat would be the second reason that keeps me from resubbing.

You had choices of where to go in Rift once you hit the late level 30's. Totally agree with the OP Rift has seen some excellent development and high quality content added in such a short space of time. Hpefully Storm Legion gives people on the fence about the game that final push to try it, Storm Legion could brighten the future for Rift if it maages to capture all who return,

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645
    LMAO thats great now let me crack on WoW. How do you feel when you are playing WoW with your high level toon with very gloryest gear Newbs or Noobs just drul over just to be treated like street rats, calling them scrubs while you're on your high mounts gloating in all that gold and run off to SW just to sleep on the streets or rat infested sewers or or get this... crowd the nearest inn, sharing the same bed with brown sheets while NPC enjoy living in big houses or kingdoms? in WoW we are all street rats, we are all scrubs.
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398

Subscription, without me ..

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

gotta say I miss my bard ..

I'll prolly be checking out the xpack

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

And while you are grinding all that gear you could also try the many many world/zone invasions. They really are amazing and they happen a lot too. There are some dungeons with different difficulty settings. there is the new 3 faction PVP conquest to do. There are too many dailys, you'll never be able to complete them all, However, you can rotate through them so they feel much less repetitions (I'd usually focus on one zone a day) There is crafting and marketing to do. You have instant Adventures which put you in a random raid group to bang out quests. with added mini bosses. I enjoy those, They will typically lead right into a zone invasion sooner or later. There is now Chronicles which are scaled down instances for 1-2 people.

It almost seems like there is so much to do between gear grinds that you probably wouldn't even notice.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Delete
  • arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    They need to tone down the rift events when there's no players or not many players around. Constant invasion into the quest givers with no one around to help makes it very difficult to hand in quest.

hope they will also improve the combat animations

RIP Orc Choppa

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Don't know if Rift is becoming the BEST or not but one thing is sure that Rift is becoming more and more content rich with every passing month. It is a complete MMO experince right now with all the staple features of MMORPG like housing, fishing...etc. Little things like these add a lot to over all gaming experince.

Bite Me

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I liked it when I played it but probaly won't go back since there other new games out that I'm playing. If I get bored of those then I'll pick up where I left off from it.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

i dont pay to play.

The only game i may pay for 2 to 3 months is archeage because it's pure sandbox with some thempark elements and only if it's worth it.