Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hate to say it but I'm not impressed

Comments

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by fiontar

Snip

Ask not what your mmo can do for you, but what you can do for your mmo.

Really though, are you ever going to stop insinuating that people that don't like the game don't get it? It's a tactic that  many GW2 fans seems to use to try to invalidate other people's opinion's of the game.

You like the game other people don't. Leave it at that.

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

I was busy playing for the last days, but something crept into my mind... "Trolls must be running amok at MMORPG..."

And, voilá. It's a shame, really, but I'd rather play some more than writing a rebuttal. So, have fun.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Ooooh these posts.

Listen guys.  It's perfectly fine not to like the game.  No one is going to begrudge your opinion if you just say that the game wasn't for you.

But here's the thing...

As it stands right now, the game is packed with players and is a critical darling...93% on metacritic.  So to call the game "poo" because YOU didn't like it is ummmmm.....stupid.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by Atlan99
    Originally posted by JimmyYO 

Why would companies stop making themeparks when everyone keeps buying them purely from hype?

Not only that but Arenanet has figured out how to squeeze more money out of it's customers with the cash shop. Even if people stop playing they have already sepnt money on Bank space, bag space and character slots.

i think itsa good way to make money, look just at the bank space. first of all the bank is linked to all the character you make. its easy to full it when u got more then 3 character, your forced to buy space lol :P

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• OvumOvum Member UncommonPosts: 103

Well, from a casual stand point me and my friends (we are grown ups already, you know families, serious jobs etc. etc.) find the game realy realy nice and fun to play. We are so burnt from the old style mmorpg's that this is a completly new breathe of fresh air.  Hell even on our 3 day off we made a maraton of 15 to 17h straight just because IT'S THAT MUCH FUN! Even now I wonder how come we manged to pull off so many hours straight lol. We couldn't do this even when we were 20 years old. 

True, the game is not for everyone but my point is that for the casual players like us it's a paradise. + no sub fee. Diablo 3 was a huge let down. But this game is worth every penny.

Music is the science of manipulating people trough sound.

• OvumOvum Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by sk8chalif

Why would companies stop making themeparks when everyone keeps buying them purely from hype?

Not only that but Arenanet has figured out how to squeeze more money out of it's customers with the cash shop. Even if people stop playing they have already sepnt money on Bank space, bag space and character slots.

i think itsa good way to make money, look just at the bank space. first of all the bank is linked to all the character you make. its easy to full it when u got more then 3 character, your forced to buy space lol :P

you know for a level 40 as I am, with aprox. 12 gold I find it cheap to convert some for shards. I'm going to do so right now actualy brb.

Music is the science of manipulating people trough sound.

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315

Well that still leaves you two char slots that you can fill up with stuff 20 slot packs and 4 8 slot bags each give you 104 spaces to store things thats 3 bank tabs + 14 spaces without paying a cent.

any other problems i can help you solve mate?

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Lokberg

Well that still leaves you two char slots that you can fill up with stuff 20 slot packs and 4 8 slot bags each give you 104 spaces to store things tthats 3 bank tabs + 14 spaces without paying a cent.

It was pretty funny when some items changed to character soulbound after release, so people who used mules got screwed over.  Pretty funny, MATE

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Ooooh these posts.

Listen guys.  It's perfectly fine not to like the game.  No one is going to begrudge your opinion if you just say that the game wasn't for you.

But here's the thing...

As it stands right now, the game is packed with players and is a critical darling...93% on metacritic.  So to call the game "poo" because YOU didn't like it is ummmmm.....stupid.

Ya, I got up this morning to join my son at 4:30pst and the game was packed full of people. Huge event in the Harathi Highlands at 0-Dark thirty with at least 30 people. That was just in this area on this server. 

You think you are off in a hidden spot by yourself and in bounces a couple players. Players are everywhere and liking it!

Those metacritic scores are smacking the haters in the taters.

edit: sp

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by Lokberg

Well that still leaves you two char slots that you can fill up with stuff 20 slot packs and 4 8 slot bags each give you 104 spaces to store things tthats 3 bank tabs + 14 spaces without paying a cent.

It was pretty funny when some items changed to character soulbound after release, so people who used mules got screwed over.  Pretty funny, MATE

And what soulbound item do you really need to save is it the copper tools vendor em and buy new on the new char, is it the green items you used on one class that you want the look off? find a new green item of same type and transfer the skin.

If not vendor or break it down to materials problem solved

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Lokbergs.

oh so 60 box with +10 a month counter 60 box and optional 10 a month on fluff, bank space, bag space and char slots is bad?

I havent spent a single cent and have unlocked 2 char slots with just gaming and trade gold to gems.

Let's examine another case. A person buys traditional mmo plays for 1 month and pays box price. Later he buys product b which he pays box price for. He also decides to buy extra bag and bank space. He again plays it for 1 month and pays box price plus an extra 50 dollars for bank and bag space he bought.

Is this really any different than many titles released today. DA2 withheld content to sell it shortly after release and ME3 did it on day one. Or what about the person that joins any of the many P2P + CS and decides to buy that fancy mount only to quit in a month. At least with GW2 I can get my extra bank space and char slots through other means than cash grab and because I like the title I plan on buying a char slot for me and the wife rather than through gameplay as soon as we decide to roll a 6th character. But people can feel free to complain about things like this while kicking dirt over the fact that they implemented an alternative way to obtain these things you speak of.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by FlawSGI
    Originally posted by Lokbergs.

oh so 60 box with +10 a month counter 60 box and optional 10 a month on fluff, bank space, bag space and char slots is bad?

I havent spent a single cent and have unlocked 2 char slots with just gaming and trade gold to gems.

Let's examine another case. A person buys traditional mmo plays for 1 month and pays box price. Later he buys product b which he pays box price for. He also decides to buy extra bag and bank space. He again plays it for 1 month and pays box price plus an extra 50 dollars for bank and bag space he bought.

Is this really any different than many titles released today. DA2 withheld content to sell it shortly after release and ME3 did it on day one. Or what about the person that joins any of the many P2P + CS and decides to buy that fancy mount only to quit in a month. At least with GW2 I can get my extra bank space and char slots through other means than cash grab and because I like the title I plan on buying a char slot for me and the wife rather than through gameplay as soon as we decide to roll a 6th character. But people can feel free to complain about things like this while kicking dirt over the fact that they implemented an alternative way to obtain these things you speak of.

I've a good alternative way to obtain them.  ACTUAL GAMEPLAY NOT REAL MONEY.  That fancy armor?  FIND IT, don't BUY IT.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    these threads tell me much about the person posting and almost nothing about the game itself.
  • FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by FlawSGI

I've a good alternative way to obtain them.  ACTUAL GAMEPLAY NOT REAL MONEY.  That fancy armor?  FIND IT, don't BUY IT.

Oh most definately. I already bought bank space through gameplay and have near enough gems to get the extra char slot. I only meant that I plan on using actual money when the time comes because I have zero problem supporting a company that put out what I feel is a great product. As to longevity of the game who can say since each person will feel different about this. But I am having a blast and it hasn't fallen off like the last 6 MMO's I have been a part of by week 2.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by daveospice

I bought copies for my buddies and I to play this game.  I was super siked, I wanted to love it, I needed a new game badly....  League of Legends has grown stale.   WoW doesn't do it for me. 

Yet immediately once joining the game, I hated it.

My experience:

I log in, no fancy epic cut scene to draw me into the game.  Instead I get this drab "talking" sequence.  I played a guardian, and the conversations were drab, and unemotional. 

I look around on the map.  I've never felt more like I was in a theme park before.  Literally there are various tasks, stationed at various points of the map.  You can choose them in any order, whenever you want to do them.  Because of this, it felt like "little rides" I could go on and really was turned off by this.   I know, it is better than grinding the same monsters... but is it really better?  Is fetching this, while killing that any better than just killing?  To me all the quests were just more of the same.  I admit, the quests sometimes had personality. 

Also the difficulty is not balanced well on quests.  Soloing a level 15 when you're level 15 might be semi-difficult one time, while the next lvl 15 quest might be extremely difficult solo with no real warning.  Then when another person shows up, it becomes too easy to complete.  When lots of people are present, the only thing you worry about is hitting every monster once to get credit.

What really made me hate the game was the skill system.

I just came back from my steaming hate of Diablo 3.  Diablo 3 to me was a HUGE let down.  Left a sour taste in my mouth.  I felt like I was never doing anything worthwhile other than grinding gear, since there was no character progression.

This game gives me that same feeling.... but worst.  I'm instantly at lvl 1 given all the abilities of my weapon.  The terrible part is I can't mix and match abilities from various weapons, at least in Diablo 3 even though I couldn't level my skills/make a custom build, I could still choose which skills to use at any given time.  This game gives you a very strict skill template you have to choose from, no variation. 

I'm not really sure why I'm leveling in this game, either.  I look different when I acquire new gear, but my character itself isn't progressing just my items are.  Also, because pvp levels you to 80 instantly and the gear you find through normal play doesn't matter in pvp I feel like there's almost no reason to do PVE since the end game was always PVP anyway.  At least for me.  So to me it's a poorly made League of Legends. 

I also am sad that there's not as many hidden items as Rift did with their collections system.  I really enjoyed finding things as a diversion from the normal every day grind.

Which brings me to pvp.  I hate pvp.  It's clunky.  Some abiltiies make you stand still and can't move around, which is annoying.  So then you have to use particular skill sets because the stationary ones, or the ones with long action scenes aren't viable in pvp.  Also in large scale pvp it becomes about AOE spamming.  Since there is no mana, and all you're doing is waiting on CD's battlegrounds become a huge AOE spam fest.  This causes locking of choke points like bridges, where if you walk into the aoe you instantly die. 

I still give the game a 6 out of 10 simply because I have hope that when I find some good pvpers to play with the WvW might start to shine and blossom.  As of now I am speaking of my solo experience, and my grouping experience of 1-2 friends at a time.

Am I alone or is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

It's a video game with an mmoRPG title.  That's the issue.  I believe that as SW:ToR pointed out to falling numbers, that people are starting to realize that these are not RPGs that are being released, they are in truth video games with lots of multiplayer.

Give it time.  Someone's going to figure it out eventually and go back to the old school style of mmorpg building.  I want to say ESO will do that but I'm not 100% sure they won't get suckered into the theme park models that have allowed Cash Shop F2P games to flood the market.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

sPvP is mess right now. There is zero balance at the moment. The thief is a broken class period. I don't know what Arenanet can do to fix it. It's broken fundamentally in the way it's built. You can either spam HSS or Spam pistol whip. It doesn't matter which and the results are the same.

Spike damage is off the charts as well. 

what a load of bs. ive been doing almost nothing but tpvp and spvp, and the prof balance is exceptional. instead of moaning about it, people just need to ask for help in dealing with HS spam and the like. my consecration guardian crushes all thieves, and the engie aint bad either. hell, even my longbow warrior can deal with thieves and HS spam. 

it's all about skill. L2P. 

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119
    Originally posted by Comaf

Someone's going to figure it out eventually and go back to the old school style of mmorpg building.  

sorry bro, but ANet has done this, and exceeded expectations. 

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    I love how people "hate to say" things and then have no trouble saying it.  Sounds to me like your preconcieved notions got the better of you.  Fine, move on.  This game isn't for you and its community is now probably better off.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by evolver1972
    I love how people "hate to say" things and then have no trouble saying it.  Sounds to me like your preconcieved notions got the better of you.  Fine, move on.  This game isn't for you and its community is now probably better off.

Judging by many of the replies here lately from those actually playing, it doesn't seem so.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    GW2 seems to be a game where people either absolutely love it (like me) or they hate it (like you). If it isn't fun for you, don't play it. But don't claim the game sucks when there are so many people who truly enjoy playing it.
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by evolver1972

Judging by many of the replies here lately from those actually playing, it doesn't seem so.

Hehehe I wouldn't judge the gw2 community by the state of this forum right now.  It is seriously a cesspool of irrational hate at the moment.  I think I see about 10 posts that read like "this game sucks and here's why" for every post with actual rational criticism.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

Winning comment here.

GW2 didnt even bother to attempt keeping subs.  Just sell boxes and move on.  Win.

So im going to assume that all these GW2 defenders and hardcore fans will be rerolling forum names for the next major hype game they fall for then end up being dissapointed by?

I mean this isnt our first rodeo.  There was AoC/WAR/AION/SWTOR/GW2...id include Rift, while it was over hyped, and despite claims that its soul system and rifts (DE) would revolutionize the mmo industry turned out to be LOL...i give trion respect for pumping out content like they have.  Really a great successor to WOW and king of the wow-parks if your into that type of game anymore.

I give GW2 a good week or two before dissapointed players outnumber the frothing at the mouth fans, no matter how many youtube videos from critics i never heard of and dont care about you post giving this game fantastic reviews, not going to change what this game is.  Its a shallow, easy access, casual themepark for people who just like to pvp queue and cant be botherd with progression gear grind or any long term goals.   Im not saying its terrible, or its a bad game.  Its just focused on one specific type of player. 

Anyway...which overhyped game is next thats going to revolutionize the mmo industry by reskinning and reinventing the wow-park?  Im betting that absolutely no one learns from this, as has happend with the last 5 or so hype-fails.

• StofftierStofftier Member Posts: 93
    The biggest letdown for me was that you have to kill a guy in pvp 2 times after you were breaking his heal cycle.Is plain and simple stupid,and even if you killed him finaly he is back in seconds.Games need a real looser or there is no need to pvp at all,is my opinion but i like to run around doing pve in that game.Is worth the box price in my eyes and no i dont spend any further money on fluff.
    Originally posted by redman875

Winning comment here.

GW2 didnt even bother to attempt keeping subs.  Just sell boxes and move on.  Win.

So im going to assume that all these GW2 defenders and hardcore fans will be rerolling forum names for the next major hype game they fall for then end up being dissapointed by?

I mean this isnt our first rodeo.  There was AoC/WAR/AION/SWTOR/GW2...id include Rift, while it was over hyped, and despite claims that its soul system and rifts (DE) would revolutionize the mmo industry turned out to be LOL...i give trion respect for pumping out content like they have.  Really a great successor to WOW and king of the wow-parks if your into that type of game anymore.

I give GW2 a good week or two before dissapointed players outnumber the frothing at the mouth fans, no matter how many youtube videos from critics i never heard of and dont care about you post giving this game fantastic reviews, not going to change what this game is.  Its a shallow, easy access, casual themepark for people who just like to pvp queue and cant be botherd with progression gear grind or any long term goals.   Im not saying its terrible, or its a bad game.  Its just focused on one specific type of player. 

Anyway...which overhyped game is next thats going to revolutionize the mmo industry by reskinning and reinventing the wow-park?  Im betting that absolutely no one learns from this, as has happend with the last 5 or so hype-fails.

So you're saying that you hold a belief that GW2 will have a majority of disappointed fans in a few weeks, and no matter what kind of evidence you see that indicates you may be wrong, such as overwhelmingly positive reviews...you will still cling to your belief and refuse to acknowledge the evidence...

There is a word for those kinds of beliefs...delusions.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by MyTabbycat
    GW2 seems to be a game where people either absolutely love it (like me) or they hate it (like you). If it isn't fun for you, don't play it. But don't claim the game sucks when there are so many people who truly enjoy playing it.

I'm meh on it.  I have some fun while I play it, but I'm not drawn into it.

I'm a little amazed at how much hype everyone here gave the game during BWEs and beforehand.  I trusted it.  I would have bought the game even if the buzz was mediocre, but the things that were said about this game are simply so detached from reality it's hard to believe.