Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscription Numbers

AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240

The last report we had from Bioware on subscriptions was somewhere between 1m and 500k. That seems to be inline with the number of servers world wide.

When I played EVE they had 300k subscribers. During peak playing time somewhere between 30k and 35k were online. Taking then 15% as a peak population current online estimate that is easily covered by the number of servers present.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

Comments

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    I don't think anyone's here anymore, they all seem to be playing GW2...
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

People who actually play game avoid these forums. Not sure what am I doing here LOL. Back to the game:)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by vorpal28

Only till the 25th then half will go back to WoW and GW2 will be like SWToR...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

People who actually play game avoid these forums. Not sure what am I doing here LOL. Back to the game:)

I play SWToR and I am still here

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I'm loving GW2 but will probably come back to this game to get my level 42 to 50 when its free to play and maybe more if they make the world feel more alive.

There Is Always Hope!

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

remember a statement just before the pre-release starts, that even with 500k subs the game is stil be in good and will stay for the years to come..

seeing f2p goes live guess that sub number is far below now

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • velluccivellucci Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Betaguy

Just because thats what happened to your beloved Swtor doesn't mean it will happen to my beloved Gw2. I know you want it to happen to Gw2 but uh...get ready for dissapointment.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I sub to SWTOR and play GW2, GW2 is devouring most of my time.. With that said, I haven't subbed to WoW in almost two years, I tried cata and didn't care too much for it, the 25th will not effect either of my games of choice... I will NEVER go back to WoW as SWTOR and GW2 do it better for me.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Why the 25th?  No subscription fee. Sure that some people will play through the game and eventually get bored but there is no financial reason why they should drop the game.

GW1 sold tens of millions. No reason why GW2 won't. 

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

I kinda wish people would stop wishing doom and gloom on other MMOs just so their own MMO will be superior by default.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    Originally posted by gervaise1

ROFL

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Uh...

Not that I don't agree that GW2 will likely sell a lot, but GW1 didn't sell tens of millions.

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

I still play swtor.  i am having a blast and i am in a huge guild.  our guild has almost 500 members and is VERY active.  it is on Drooga's Pleasure Barge, on the Republic side.

sz

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530
    I think everyone in there mother is waiting for the f2p, why pay now when you get just wait a month
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I wlil be playing again when it goes free to play.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Ahnog

The last report we had from Bioware on subscriptions was somewhere between 1m and 500k. That seems to be inline with the number of servers world wide.

When I played EVE they had 300k subscribers. During peak playing time somewhere between 30k and 35k were online. Taking then 15% as a peak population current online estimate that is easily covered by the number of servers present.

I have a feeling the number is a lot closer to 500K than a million, but sure, that is a clear possibility.

On the other hand we can be rather sure that the number is dropping fast enough for EA to already make it F2P so I would guess that the numbers are dropping pretty fast.

10-20%of all players online during primetime seems like reasonable numbers.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Why the 25th?  No subscription fee. Sure that some people will play through the game and eventually get bored but there is no financial reason why they should drop the game.

GW1 didn't sell tens of millions of copies though. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    I will return at some point.  It's a great title as a F2P game or even a $30 B2P game with a GW2 model.
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Ahnog

I have a feeling the number is a lot closer to 500K than a million, but sure, that is a clear possibility.

On the other hand we can be rather sure that the number is dropping fast enough for EA to already make it F2P so I would guess that the numbers are dropping pretty fast.

10-20%of all players online during primetime seems like reasonable numbers.

The 500k to 1 million range is pretty laughable. That's a huge margin of error. What's the next quarterly report going to be? Zero to 500k plus or minus 500 thousand?

Also bear in mind that the last subscription count included the 6 month (many of which were inactive) subs. If only 10% of the 1.4 million preorders were 6 month subs, that's 140,000 subs that might have gone poof overnight.

The pretty extensive player survey of concurrent populations: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=484899

puts average concurrent pop at about 30k. (Also an average full server is believed to be 3.638 players)

Since GW2 has come out, the slow burn on SWTOR's pop has become more accelerated.

There's the big dip in xfire numbers.

Also tor status now lists the destination servers as follows:

North America:

4 standard servers

8 light servers.

Europe:

11 light servers

Asia-Pacific:

2 light servers

1 dead server

Also worthy of note, Blizz's MoP comes out in 3 weeks.

So far Bioware has only released a few details of a 1.4 patch, but has not inclued a release date.

I don't see sub numbers being very strong when SWTOR eventually goes Freemium.

To be honest, I don't really see how any bump form the cash shop can really help much either.

At this point, I think maintence mode is a valid question to be asking.

The switch to Freemium means that EA no longer needs the dead albatross of quarterly sub number announcements around its neck; which in turn, from EA's perspective, will stop dragging its stock price down.

Not that EA would especially want the bad press of shutting SWTOR down, but it might not even be possible depending on the terms of the IP license with EA.

I know, speculation, speculation everywhere. Just noting which way the wind seems to be blowing.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Aslo worth noting, no one really knows when the FTP switch will be thrown for SWTOR.

November is the target date, but there is no actual D-Day.

In the interviews form Germany, the developers said they hoped to be ready in November.

The latest developer tidbits and interviews talk about changes they hope to implement in January.

The skelton crew maybe having a lot of trouble gatting the game in FTP mode.

What I'm getting at is that restless subs on the fence of unsubbing aren't getting much solid info from BW on just about anything.