Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New account recovery system available for hacked GW2 players

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-account-recovery-system-available-for-hacked-guild-wars-2-players

Today, however, ArenaNet launched the self-help system for players to recover accounts. Players in need of resetting their passwords or turning off email authentication can do so at this webpage. These options are available if the player is unable to access his or her account due to an unwarranted intrusion. Using this self-help system is recommended if a player cannot otherwise get into his or her account.

This method requires an account name or email, the serial code associated with the account, and a character name. Once this information is entered, the account will be verified, and the player should be able to access his or her account again. Of course, if the account was maliciously attacked, there is no guarantee that characters, items, and gold will still be there. At this time, character reinstatement is not an option.

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

worth noting that if your acct has been banned (due to being hacked) - probably have to wait

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_status_updates

When accounts are hacked and then used for botting or spamming ads for gold sales, we ban the accounts until we can return them to their rightful owner. If you login and see the message, "this account has been permanently banned for a violation of the User Agreement," and if you're not a gold seller, it's likely that your account was hacked. Please contact customer support using the instructions below.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Nadia

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-account-recovery-system-available-for-hacked-guild-wars-2-players

Today, however, ArenaNet launched the self-help system for players to recover accounts. Players in need of resetting their passwords or turning off email authentication can do so at this webpage. These options are available if the player is unable to access his or her account due to an unwarranted intrusion. Using this self-help system is recommended if a player cannot otherwise get into his or her account.

This method requires an account name or email, the serial code associated with the account, and a character name. Once this information is entered, the account will be verified, and the player should be able to access his or her account again. Of course, if the account was maliciously attacked, there is no guarantee that characters, items, and gold will still be there. At this time, character reinstatement is not an option.

total waste of time for me.character reinstatement is not an option..i guess in the end you get what you pay for..i guess it'll teach me 2 things..1. to make sure i have a seperate e-mail and pw for each game.2 never ever buy b2p games again.i have had next to zero support since being hacked.rather sad but there you go..i suppose its not has if i have not wasted £50 on a game before..i'm just dissapointed..i expected better off Anet.How can they not have a record  of the characters before being hacked..i dont get that at all.

support service will be improved but i hear you

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/CHARACTERS-DELETED

we don’t have the capacity to reinstate characters right now.

This is something we take really seriously, we are gathering the data, and we’ll be able to offer this service in the future.

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

I was really hopeful when I saw this yesterday, but apparently this only helps you if someone got into your account using your password and then changed your password. If they changed your username (however it is that they do that) you can't use this tool :/

Still waiting since 5 Sep, though I know others have waited much, much longer.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

Originally posted by svandy

If they changed your username (however it is that they do that) you can't use this tool :/

thats unfortunate, i hoped knowing the CDKey and a character name would suffice

i dont think usernames can be changed unless its a linked account

http://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8987/~/username,-email,-%26-password-faq

Changing Account Name / Email
    If you have a Guild Wars and a Guild Wars 2 account, and if they are linked, you can change your Guild Wars account (log-in) name. To change your account name, please do the following:

1. Log into account management.
    2. Select Edit Profile.
    3. Enter a new and valid email in the Account Name field under the Change Account Name section.
    4. Confirm the password associated with the account.
    5. Click SAVE CHANGES.

Originally posted by svandy

If they changed your username (however it is that they do that) you can't use this tool :/

thats unfortunate, i hoped knowing the CDKey and a character name would suffice

i dont think usernames can be changed unless its a linked account

http://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8987/~/username,-email,-%26-password-faq

Changing Account Name / Email
    If you have a Guild Wars and a Guild Wars 2 account, and if they are linked, you can change your Guild Wars account (log-in) name. To change your account name, please do the following:

1. Log into account management.
    2. Select Edit Profile.
    3. Enter a new and valid email in the Account Name field under the Change Account Name section.
    4. Confirm the password associated with the account.
    5. Click SAVE CHANGES.

I've tried using both the email I signed up with and the name.1234 username, neither worked. Supposedly whoever hijacked my account successfully changed my username so I can't login to anything.

The GW1 trick works, but I don't have a linked GW1 account :/ Part of me just wants to buy another copy of the game, yet the other part of me doesn't feel comfortable giving ANet more money.

This is something we take really seriously, we are gathering the data, and we’ll be able to offer this service in the future.

this should have been available from the start,the same has the authenticator.i know i,m not the only one its happened to i,m just pissed that up to now i,m 80hrs after being hacked and i have had 1 response asking for more details which i gave..and then nothing at all.some people have been waiting 7 days,and in the meantime the thieves are having great fun at my expense..not to mention they will be gold selling so the ban is incoming as well..oh i have a headach i,m off to tsw.

Originally posted by kevjards

this should have been available from the start,the same has the authenticator.i know i,m not the only one its happened to i,m just pissed that up to now i,m 80hrs after being hacked and i have had 1 response asking for more details which i gave..and then nothing at all.some people have been waiting 7 days,and in the meantime the thieves are having great fun at my expense..not to mention they will be gold selling so the ban is incoming as well..oh i have a headach i,m off to tsw.

Yeah it seems like the rule of thumb is to just prepare for the fact that when you get your account back you will be banned, so really you will have to wait double the time.

What is irritating me even more now are the posts on the ANet forums where someone says "I got hacked today!" and then they come back and say their issue was resolved that day or the next. Are you kidding? I don't know how they prioritize the tickets, or if they get sent in bulk to certain CSRs or something and some are better than others, but there is a huge different in resolution times and it isn't really looking too professional.

Trying to remain optimistic but it gets harder and harder. Off to VG or TSW for me I guess.

(character reinstatement) should have been available from the start,the same has the authenticator

i agree w you

especially after the rash of D3 launch hacking issues that happened in May

(character reinstatement) should have been available from the start,the same has the authenticator

i agree w you

especially after the rash of D3 launch hacking issues that happened in May

i dont know if i,m being to critical because i was hacked..but if people are getting dealt with same day has someone else has posted i will not be impressed.i guess the authenticator thing upset me because aion have it in place(another ncsoft game) so why was'nt it implemented here..i mean this game is 10x more popular.

• hpy7871hpy7871 Member Posts: 14
    They really need to work on CS my wow acc was hacked last year one phone call and 45 min later i had my acc all my tooons and all gear even all my gold back glad i didnt bother with GW2
  • JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

Why do they seem to keep missing a key point.

Remove emails as part of the login method!

Why do they require a character name for login to Guild Wars one but not for a password reset attempt? Does Gw2 require a character name to login? If not, why not!!!

Master Accounts: When logging into them, do they require a character name?  I don't have a master so I have to ask. If not, then why not.  There's absolutely no reason for this to not be a feature.   Guild Wars 1 shows that their system has the ability as is right now to do this.

*A Security question would be acceptable as well*

I mean those aren't the end all be all. Though they are giving anyone who gets there hands on a database of emails half the log in information up front.  You don't have to ever use an email anywhere else for this to be an issue.  Email providers are targeted all to often. 

How much time and money would this of saved them?  Not everyone would use it to it's full advantage. We all know this.  People "everyone" gets lazy at some point or slips up. However why punish your customer base with poor methods? At least if I get hacked I can dam well narrow it down to just a few possibilites and not some dam website I might of forgotten about 3 years ago.

I haven't been hacked but email as login just pisses me off.  From any company. It really does.  I did get a reset attempt but that is it.

ArenaNet has made some great games. One of which I own two copies of and am planning on getting GW2. I always wait till an mmo matures a little before I buy.   However now I am also waiting to see if they finally get their account system sorted as well.

Edited to say.  Sorry Nadia for the rant. :/  Just peeves me that they use some good features on part of their system but the other parts seem to be lacking.

As for people talking about wait time, while not good.  It could be much worse.  Like 3+ months worse.  There's been at least one title that I know of which had queues that long.

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by JayBirdz

Master Accounts: When logging into them, do they require a character name?  I don't have a master so I have to ask. If not, then why not.  There's absolutely no reason for this to not be a feature.   Guild Wars 1 shows that their system has the ability as is right now to do this.

A master account is just your NCSoft account and is not related to any game as such.

I agree that GW2 should enable a character name as part of the login requirements but this is a new game. No-one has a character name until they create a character.

So i,m on day 4 of account hacked and still waiting for a response..just wondering if i should put in another ticket because the one i put in seems to have gone walkies.any advice from someone who was hacked and got there account back would be much appreciated..i,e how long did it take you to get account back etc.

i dont have any personal experience w gw2 hacked account

anet is advising not to make additional tickets

but if you already updated your ticket - and it had no effect, i guess another ticket wont be any worse

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/Info-on-Old-Unresolved-Tickets/first#post11698

Players should not submit duplicate tickets, but should update their EXISTING ticket

If you would like to update your ticket for clarity or to provide more identifying information, simply update in the Support interface or respond to the most recent emailed copy you received and include as much of this information as possible:

• Your GW2 Username
    • Your serial code
    • A character name, if any
    • A detailed description of the issue that you’re experiencing
    • Any error code that you are getting

Please also make certain that you have closed out any additional tickets that you may have created about the same issue to expedite your response.

i dont have any personal experience w gw2 hacked account

anet is advising not to make additional tickets

but if you already updated your ticket - and it had no effect, i guess another ticket wont be any worse

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/Info-on-Old-Unresolved-Tickets/first#post11698

Players should not submit duplicate tickets, but should update their EXISTING ticket

If you would like to update your ticket for clarity or to provide more identifying information, simply update in the Support interface or respond to the most recent emailed copy you received and include as much of this information as possible:

• Your GW2 Username
    • Your serial code
    • A character name, if any
    • A detailed description of the issue that you’re experiencing
    • Any error code that you are getting

Please also make certain that you have closed out any additional tickets that you may have created about the same issue to expedite your response.

it kind of screws you up a bit..having had nothing apart from 1 e-mail 3 days ago and then nothing and feel abandoned by Anet.on the other hand i know they are dealing with a lot of problems..i just dont know what to do..being advised not to put another ticket in leaves you a bit messed up has to what to do..dont know if they are dealing with it or not.

i think it better if i just update existing ticket with more clarity and urgency this time..dunno,maybe it will help..i damn well hope so lol